Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Shanahan wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:23 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:34 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:19 am

Ariel conducted an interview with the rival promotion’s owner while being paid by WWE. I know you’re like 14, but that’s bad faith journalism.
How are you not banned given you call names and mock others posters that post here
He doesn’t like you because you don’t shit on ROH. We already know his hatred for everything ROH until Tony bought it. He’s same guy who said Violence Unlimted made no sense & was randomly thrown together or when it was rumored ROH was thinking about bringing in Mance Warner & he thought using him in 6 man with Briscoes would be a downgrade for Mance.
How is he still on here and able to get away with this kinda stuff for so long without being warned or banned
Montana

Post by Montana »

Reaper G wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:57 pm My response to the frequent bickering on what's left of this board is a resounding, Lewis Black-esque "OH WHO GIVES A FUCK!?"
Well said. No one cares to see this. Just ignore each other. No one is changing anyone else’s opinion.
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:25 pm

How are you not banned given you call names and mock others posters that post here
He doesn’t like you because you don’t shit on ROH. We already know his hatred for everything ROH until Tony bought it. He’s same guy who said Violence Unlimted made no sense & was randomly thrown together or when it was rumored ROH was thinking about bringing in Mance Warner & he thought using him in 6 man with Briscoes would be a downgrade for Mance.
It was a random faction booked to be just that. Didn’t matter writing was on the walls. Mance being put with the Briscoes was a lame cop out. I’m sure all that was needed to save ROH was more Matt Taven hahahaha.

Tony saved jobs, and cares about the lineage of the company by actually respecting those who built the company with their quality in ring work. Long before we were forced to sit through flip Gordon Bubba ray Dudley and a bunch of other horrendous nonsense, ROH was the only wrestling I cared to see in person. Of course nobody listens to the podcast and cares about the history of ROH. Wrestling fans aren’t interested in anything requiring effort.
While I’m glad Tony had saved a handful of jobs… he hasn’t done a whole lot in the first 9 months or so. Time will tell, but seems like ppl had jobs under Sinclair as well. Honorclub is about the same as SBG had it. PPV’s on par. Hard to point to anything that’s better just yet. Granted, only fully owned it since last May.

Since ROH was the only wrestling you wanted to see in person, how do you feel about the Orlando tapings?

I’d rather sit through a Flip Gordon vs Bully Ray iron man match, then sit through an episode of dark. Since ROH will be behind a paywall, I hope it’s not reduced to that quality, but we’ll see. I imagine the tv product will be similar to SBG but instead of 3 matches, I could see 4. Squash, women’s match, then 2 decent longer better matches.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:28 pm

How is he still on here and able to get away with this kinda stuff for so long without being warned or banned
Waahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhha
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:11 pm

It was a random faction booked to be just that. Didn’t matter writing was on the walls. Mance being put with the Briscoes was a lame cop out. I’m sure all that was needed to save ROH was more Matt Taven hahahaha.

Tony saved jobs, and cares about the lineage of the company by actually respecting those who built the company with their quality in ring work. Long before we were forced to sit through flip Gordon Bubba ray Dudley and a bunch of other horrendous nonsense, ROH was the only wrestling I cared to see in person. Of course nobody listens to the podcast and cares about the history of ROH. Wrestling fans aren’t interested in anything requiring effort.
While I’m glad Tony had saved a handful of jobs… he hasn’t done a whole lot in the first 9 months or so. Time will tell, but seems like ppl had jobs under Sinclair as well. Honorclub is about the same as SBG had it. PPV’s on par. Hard to point to anything that’s better just yet. Granted, only fully owned it since last May.

Since ROH was the only wrestling you wanted to see in person, how do you feel about the Orlando tapings?

I’d rather sit through a Flip Gordon vs Bully Ray iron man match, then sit through an episode of dark. Since ROH will be behind a paywall, I hope it’s not reduced to that quality, but we’ll see. I imagine the tv product will be similar to SBG but instead of 3 matches, I could see 4. Squash, women’s match, then 2 decent longer better matches.

Let's address this one by one...

I am not there to see what Tony is doing day to day but in knowing how hard he went for this purchase and how the tv market is, there is not room for a 3rd major promotion in the tv landscape. The real TV landscape, not the Live PD channel. Having said that, he's an analytics guy, he's going to bank on his fanbase wanting to see more of the talent ear marked for ROH. He's had 3 kick ass PPV's that embody the spirit of ROH.

When ROH began they ran in a 300 capacity gymnasium. Not the ECW Arena nor the Hammerstein, they are running where it's safe. I don't know what the tv will look like aside from what I at one point in 2022 suggested. 90 minutes, 4-5 banger matches, promo time, all pre-taped promos that is, and one live interview segment. I am not thrilled with the Dark Zone being the taping spot but the first Nitro was taped at a mall, not the Georgia Dome. Rome wasn't built in a day nor was it built in 2 years.

Dark is not on my regular viewing schedule, quite frankly no wrestling is aside from Dynamite and the Cody segments on Raw. You people have to stop expecting ROH TV to be Dynamite or Raw. Once they find a television home, which will come when the Discovery Warner Media deal is done, I think you'll see the dynamics of what they truly want to do with the property.

My point is, I am excited to see what it looks like, I'm rooting for it. If you're a loyal ROH fan you should be too. If you're one of these keyboard kids and you've moved on to MLW where Enzo Amore and Micro Machine Man are part of the grand scheme maybe you weren't a fan in the beginning. FWIW, I am not rooting against MLW either, I know I won't watch it, or go to a show. I hope they slay at 10PM on Tuesdays on the LIVE PD Channel. Nobody, myself included wanted ROH to die, but we wanted changes from what was in on the tv. It's why the feedback from me was so negative. No wrestling company is perfect, none ever will be. Once you learn how the business of the business works, some of you might develop a little more patience.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:26 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 pm

Lol good lord.
According to people here that were here before me this is what you do shit on people you don't agree with and then act like you do nothing wrong
Your sources should be double and triple checked, and probably vaccinated.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Another Taven dig. Who recently signed Taven???? You hate on Flip because of his politics not his in ring work because AEW has pushed people way worse than Flip. Shit…TK’s current tag champs couldn’t lace Flips boots.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:47 am

Another Taven dig. Who recently signed Taven???? You hate on Flip because of his politics not his in ring work because AEW has pushed people way worse than Flip. Shit…TK’s current tag champs couldn’t lace Flips boots.
Who told TK that was a waste of money? Flip sucks, in and out of the ring. Always has. Another guy only good for suckering money from Joe Koff.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:33 am

Who told TK that was a waste of money? Flip sucks, in and out of the ring. Always has. Another guy only good for suckering money from Joe Koff.
Taven keeps on getting contracts & big storylines…maybe it’s not Taven who is the problem. Flip isn’t a technical wizard, he’s a mid-card flippy floppy guy. He has good singles matches with good workers & he’s good in 6 or tag team matches. I’ve never heard someone say “flip is on the card…damn, I’m not watching”
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:47 pm

Taven keeps on getting contracts & big storylines…maybe it’s not Taven who is the problem. Flip isn’t a technical wizard, he’s a mid-card flippy floppy guy. He has good singles matches with good workers & he’s good in 6 or tag team matches. I’ve never heard someone say “flip is on the card…damn, I’m not watching”
We know Delirious was out of his tree on all sorts of substances. What big storyline has he gotten that Mike & Maria haven't got for him? The guy is bland. Good in a low card tag team but his use at AEW is exactly his ceiling.

Flip has been booked by Control Your Narrative. That alone is enough to scream loser. I would not pay a penny to see him. I would not pay to see Taven either.

This defending of these two who interest the weird emo girls and the maga crowd is certainly going to sell out arenas in no time. Samoa Joe, Briscoes, Cabana, Claudio, etc. need not apply we have Flip Gordon & Matt Taven!
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:10 pm

We know Delirious was out of his tree on all sorts of substances. What big storyline has he gotten that Mike & Maria haven't got for him? The guy is bland. Good in a low card tag team but his use at AEW is exactly his ceiling.

Flip has been booked by Control Your Narrative. That alone is enough to scream loser. I would not pay a penny to see him. I would not pay to see Taven either.

This defending of these two who interest the weird emo girls and the maga crowd is certainly going to sell out arenas in no time. Samoa Joe, Briscoes, Cabana, Claudio, etc. need not apply we have Flip Gordon & Matt Taven!
I don’t love or hate Taven/Flip. You are the hater & your last part makes no sense. When have I or anyone said they are top guys & who cares about guys you mentioned. I’m probably biggest Briscoes fan on here.

Anyway, does anyone have a list of guys working ROH tapings? Wondering if guys like Rust/Williams/Rhett/LSG will be there
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:23 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:10 pm

I don’t love or hate Taven/Flip. You are the hater & your last part makes no sense. When have I or anyone said they are top guys & who cares about guys you mentioned. I’m probably biggest Briscoes fan on here.

Anyway, does anyone have a list of guys working ROH tapings? Wondering if guys like Rust/Williams/Rhett/LSG will be there
I don't hate anyone but the people like Flip Gordon who are anti-vaxxers and pro maga losers. Matt Taven is a mid card indy curtain jerker. Nice guy, weird fans.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:45 pm

I am not there to see what Tony is doing day to day but in knowing how hard he went for this purchase and how the tv market is, there is not room for a 3rd major promotion in the tv landscape. The real TV landscape, not the Live PD channel. Having said that, he's an analytics guy, he's going to bank on his fanbase wanting to see more of the talent ear marked for ROH. He's had 3 kick ass PPV's that embody the spirit of ROH.

When ROH began they ran in a 300 capacity gymnasium. Not the ECW Arena nor the Hammerstein, they are running where it's safe. I don't know what the tv will look like aside from what I at one point in 2022 suggested. 90 minutes, 4-5 banger matches, promo time, all pre-taped promos that is, and one live interview segment. I am not thrilled with the Dark Zone being the taping spot but the first Nitro was taped at a mall, not the Georgia Dome. Rome wasn't built in a day nor was it built in 2 years.

Dark is not on my regular viewing schedule, quite frankly no wrestling is aside from Dynamite and the Cody segments on Raw. You people have to stop expecting ROH TV to be Dynamite or Raw. Once they find a television home, which will come when the Discovery Warner Media deal is done, I think you'll see the dynamics of what they truly want to do with the property.

My point is, I am excited to see what it looks like, I'm rooting for it. If you're a loyal ROH fan you should be too. If you're one of these keyboard kids and you've moved on to MLW where Enzo Amore and Micro Machine Man are part of the grand scheme maybe you weren't a fan in the beginning. FWIW, I am not rooting against MLW either, I know I won't watch it, or go to a show. I hope they slay at 10PM on Tuesdays on the LIVE PD Channel. Nobody, myself included wanted ROH to die, but we wanted changes from what was in on the tv. It's why the feedback from me was so negative. No wrestling company is perfect, none ever will be. Once you learn how the business of the business works, some of you might develop a little more patience.
I think Tony bought ROH more so; he felt bad that he played a role, in the fans turning against ROH. He signed a majority of their top guys; and ROH never really recovered from that. It's not fully on Tony himself, but played some role in the decline. It seemed like it was more of an impulse buy, if anything, than a long thought out strategic acquisition. (Not to say i'm not happy, but it kind of thrust upon him)

I don't know if i'd go as far as to say the first 3 PPV's were "kick ass" , good, maybe even great in some cases... but will do i remember about those shows?? Pretty much just Briscoes vs. FTR. Nothing else has really stuck with me. I fully get we need to be patient; but with analyzing what we've seen in the first 9 months, i have concerns. Maybe it gets to where they want to be at some point, but maybe not. They said they were revamping HonorClub and making massive improvements; and it's pretty close to what it was before. Then they told us at Final Battle in DEC; a TV show is coming very show; but have to wait until NJPW Wrestlekindom to announce the details; then mid-FEB we get some random Universal Studios taping. If this show doesn't have bangers; and they don't get a show on Warner/Discovery ... it's going to be very difficult road for ROH. Plus just the challenge of managing multiple entities. I have to imagine ROH is probably the lowest on his list.

Am i excited for the ROH tv for sure. I'll give it a shot. I'm more excited based on the history, and the potential; than anything else to date. Adding some names/talent/matches would get me a little more excited. Again, recurring live events, i think is a better way to generate buzz. I get it cost more; but that would be a better way to grow the brand in my opinion.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:15 am

I think Tony bought ROH more so; he felt bad that he played a role, in the fans turning against ROH. He signed a majority of their top guys; and ROH never really recovered from that. It's not fully on Tony himself, but played some role in the decline. It seemed like it was more of an impulse buy, if anything, than a long thought out strategic acquisition. (Not to say i'm not happy, but it kind of thrust upon him)

I don't know if i'd go as far as to say the first 3 PPV's were "kick ass" , good, maybe even great in some cases... but will do i remember about those shows?? Pretty much just Briscoes vs. FTR. Nothing else has really stuck with me. I fully get we need to be patient; but with analyzing what we've seen in the first 9 months, i have concerns. Maybe it gets to where they want to be at some point, but maybe not. They said they were revamping HonorClub and making massive improvements; and it's pretty close to what it was before. Then they told us at Final Battle in DEC; a TV show is coming very show; but have to wait until NJPW Wrestlekindom to announce the details; then mid-FEB we get some random Universal Studios taping. If this show doesn't have bangers; and they don't get a show on Warner/Discovery ... it's going to be very difficult road for ROH. Plus just the challenge of managing multiple entities. I have to imagine ROH is probably the lowest on his list.

Am i excited for the ROH tv for sure. I'll give it a shot. I'm more excited based on the history, and the potential; than anything else to date. Adding some names/talent/matches would get me a little more excited. Again, recurring live events, i think is a better way to generate buzz. I get it cost more; but that would be a better way to grow the brand in my opinion.
Your first paragraph is incredibly uninformed. I'll say this, talks of Tony buying ROH, at least that were shared with me occurred on 10/15/21, I will never forget it because it was what I referred to as the "perfect birthday present" seeing as Tony's birthday is 10/10 and mine is 10/15. Mind you that date is before Joe Koff held his zoom call when his bosses at SBG pulled the funding.

Calling it an impulse buy is telling, because gum at the checkout is an impulse buy. Spending millions of your own dollars and tasking people to help do due diligence almost daily for 3 months which is leads to post final battle, is not impulse buying. It's calculated and well thought out. One day I'll share the story of what transpired when I sat down with my list of names I wanted Tony to sign with Chris Daniels. Who was buried, who wasn't. There were a number of people consulted from the long time ROH fans about what was, and wasn't worth it. I've got incredible confidence in what ROH will become without having used car salesmen & creatively bankrupt people leading the charge.

I thought the 3 PPV's were top to bottom great shows. Couple matches weren't for me, and obviously Gresham being a whiny bitch was something that brought down what should have been a great match. Honor Club has had massive improvements, the website was completely rebooted. Depending on your source, your app for Honor Club may look different too. Now you say "if this show doesn't have bangers" and "if they don't get a show on warner/discovery" so the show has to be designed exactly to your specifics? No, it doesn't. Just as Dynamite or Rampage or Raw or Smackdown isn't designed all the time to my own enjoyment, that doesn't matter. You don't matter, I don't matter. What matters is, does the show make money. Period. That is all that matters.

I'll further my point and say if something is creatively shitty, to the mass audience, it's not going to make money. Hence, being critical of putting the title on Taven only to see attendance dip everywhere after. Tony is very smart, he's not going to spend money when he doesn't have a plan to make money.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

“Gresham being a whiny bitch”….lmaooooo. I see we are still going with this narrative.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:15 pm “Gresham being a whiny bitch”….lmaooooo. I see we are still going with this narrative.
I had to open the show and lose oh wahhhhhhhhh. Cost himself a six figure job by not being a team player. Big ego, small brain.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:23 pm
Shanahan wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:15 pm “Gresham being a whiny bitch”….lmaooooo. I see we are still going with this narrative.
I had to open the show and lose oh wahhhhhhhhh. Cost himself a six figure job by not being a team player. Big ego, small brain.
You are the only person on this board who believes that. Plus you leave out all the character sabotage they did to him the weeks leading up to it. Sometimes you have to lose out on money to find some happiness. Gresham is and will be fine.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

ROH needs to add CMLL & NJPW to Supercard Of Honor.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:31 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:23 pm
You are the only person on this board who believes that. Plus you leave out all the character sabotage they did to him the weeks leading up to it. Sometimes you have to lose out on money to find some happiness. Gresham is and will be fine.

I’m also the only person who saw his temper tantrum and unprofessional actions in person too. He needs to grow up.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:25 pm
Montana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:15 am

Your first paragraph is incredibly uninformed. I'll say this, talks of Tony buying ROH, at least that were shared with me occurred on 10/15/21, I will never forget it because it was what I referred to as the "perfect birthday present" seeing as Tony's birthday is 10/10 and mine is 10/15. Mind you that date is before Joe Koff held his zoom call when his bosses at SBG pulled the funding.

Calling it an impulse buy is telling, because gum at the checkout is an impulse buy. Spending millions of your own dollars and tasking people to help do due diligence almost daily for 3 months which is leads to post final battle, is not impulse buying. It's calculated and well thought out. One day I'll share the story of what transpired when I sat down with my list of names I wanted Tony to sign with Chris Daniels. Who was buried, who wasn't. There were a number of people consulted from the long time ROH fans about what was, and wasn't worth it. I've got incredible confidence in what ROH will become without having used car salesmen & creatively bankrupt people leading the charge.

I thought the 3 PPV's were top to bottom great shows. Couple matches weren't for me, and obviously Gresham being a whiny bitch was something that brought down what should have been a great match. Honor Club has had massive improvements, the website was completely rebooted. Depending on your source, your app for Honor Club may look different too. Now you say "if this show doesn't have bangers" and "if they don't get a show on warner/discovery" so the show has to be designed exactly to your specifics? No, it doesn't. Just as Dynamite or Rampage or Raw or Smackdown isn't designed all the time to my own enjoyment, that doesn't matter. You don't matter, I don't matter. What matters is, does the show make money. Period. That is all that matters.

I'll further my point and say if something is creatively shitty, to the mass audience, it's not going to make money. Hence, being critical of putting the title on Taven only to see attendance dip everywhere after. Tony is very smart, he's not going to spend money when he doesn't have a plan to make money.
Tony said in an interview that he wasn’t considering buying ROH in March, until they made him a strong offer. So while he may have been considering it for months, it sounded like the deal/discussion died at some point. Maybe Tony was waiting out SBG… but from what he’s said, it didn’t seem like a long strategic purchase.

I believe this new regime, will do better at some point. More passion, more money, more resources/roster. No reason for it to not improve, other than AEW and ROH competing against each other.

I wouldn’t call it a massive upgrade to Honorclub. They updated the interface, but it’s less content than what was on it before I believe. I don’t think the menus changed. The interface is a step in the right direction, but I wouldn’t call it a massive upgrade.

Agree, it all comes down to making money to support the promotion. As of now, they are only making money off their HonorClub Subscription and PPV buys, and merch.

Tony is great, but has a flaws… and shown he sticks to doing things his way. Sometimes good, sometimes not.

We’ll see how the TV is. Maybe it’s exceeds expectations.