ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard Official Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard Official Thread

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

That why it's going into a entertainment direction
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:17 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:09 pm

(Side note Julius Smokes was sitting behind me, good dude and what you on screen is what you get a real life, and he didn’t hold back about ROH that’s for sure.)
Care to share any of his comments or insights?

If not, along a similar vein I will say that I stood next to Cheeseburger at the wXw show, and he, too, is a very nice person.
Let’s just say he wasn’t complimentary a tone of the time, and he certainly wanted to make himself known but you know that’s him and you just live with it.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

They are bad wrestlers. They're going to get "get the fuck off my screen" heat, not "I am buying into your heel antics and want to see you vanquished by the hero" heat.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

ROH needs them. Not every hand has to work like Ricky Steamboat. Give me more Enzo and Cass and a lot less Mark Haskins and Jonathan Gresham.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

SweetDaddy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:42 pm ROH needs them. Not every hand has to work like Ricky Steamboat. Give me more Enzo and Cass and a lot less Mark Haskins and Jonathan Gresham.

OH MY GOD WHATTTT? OH GOD. [cornette]
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

SweetDaddy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:42 pm ROH needs them. Not every hand has to work like Ricky Steamboat. Give me more Enzo and Cass and a lot less Mark Haskins and Jonathan Gresham.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

This is an interesting point of view really....but im still on the bad site of this.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

monster mafia wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:09 pm
This is an interesting point of view really....but im still on the bad site of this.
"Interesting" is the post polite way to put it. The ROH/CZW feud worked because there were two sides and the feud played into each side's fans' preconceived notions about the other side and the other side's fans. Enzo and Cass are two dudes who no one really seems to care to see. It's not like people are running around clamoring to get Cass booked like you've seen with other guys who leave WWE. Getting heat by dragging your product down by booking sh*tty wrestlers is completely moronic.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Hey man Ive tried to quit ROH but I cant. I still love the Briscoes and Jay Lethal too much to. I just want a good product and I think the roster is sorely lacking. Im no Enzo and Cass fan but I do think they greatly add to the tag team division and the roster and I have no problem admitting I like characters and charisma more than in ring ability.
Big Red Machine

SweetDaddy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:27 pm Hey man Ive tried to quit ROH but I cant. I still love the Briscoes and Jay Lethal too much to. I just want a good product and I think the roster is sorely lacking. Im no Enzo and Cass fan but I do think they greatly add to the tag team division and the roster and I have no problem admitting I like characters and charisma more than in ring ability.
I understand your approach, but I think there are MUCH better choices out there than Enzo & Cass. Even someone like Rhett Titus, who is currently in the company and not doing anything, could be paired up with pretty much anyone and it would be better. Rhett is a phenomenal character when he is doing his "Addicted To Love" undercard heel shtick.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Lots of good matches and interesting results, but the Enzo/Big Cass thing is horrible, and the "Allure" faction doesn't seem like a great move for the WOH division.
Big Red Machine

Zhuge1 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:55 pm Lots of good matches and interesting results, but the Enzo/Big Cass thing is horrible, and the "Allure" faction doesn't seem like a great move for the WOH division.
They'd make for good foil heels for a short run if they had a decent worker to carry them in the ring. Unfortunately, they don't. Bringing Velvet Sky in on her own as a heel manager probably would have been a much better move if you wanted to do something like this.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Only positive for allure forming would be if it was away for the division to get more focus every week and sign more women
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Madison Rayne was the best worker in any incarnation of TBP and they let her walk right back to Impact. Puzzling.
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

famicommander wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:08 pm Madison Rayne was the best worker in any incarnation of TBP and they let her walk right back to Impact. Puzzling.
From the PWIsider report, more like pushed. The story was ROH was good with a TBP reunion but wanted Velvet and Angelina to turn on Madison, kick her out and replace her with Mandy. Madison passed on that and went back to Impact so it looks like they just skipped ahead to the desired end result
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

I see that as the likely plan. Don’t think it’s a coincidence that, since the Elite’s departure, they debuted Lifeblood and put emphasis on the return to honor and refs having more power and then debut Velvet, Angelina, Enzo and Cass-the exact polar opposite.
I expect another ROH/CZW ROH/SCUM like program with Honor vs Sports Entertainment.
Interesting but risky imo.
Try to entice that crowd while risking alienating the core fans - especially with AEW looming.
If Bully does have major pull now, I could see him intrigued by such a program to the point of him doing the unthinkable considering their relationship.
Could we see Vince Russo in a ROH ring?
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I thought if this show underwhelmed ROH would be blamed, fairly or not. What I did not expect, and am very disappointed in, is that there seems to be a large contingent (on Twitter at least) that resents ROH's involvement and never had any interest in giving them a fair shot. Treating the double title matches as NJPW matches (making it easier to belittle what ROH contributed to the card), and I have never seen so many people claim to let themselves lose interest in an entire show because of a ten minute under card match or short post match skirmish. And don't get me started on the Bully Ray match, which half the crowd was determined to shit on if it was anything besides their beloved Ishii or Suzuki squashing Bully. I consider myself pretty neutral leaning negative towards the current state of ROH, but a lot of the reviews I'm reading on other sites had the outline of their review - ROH drags down NJPW super show - before the show started and just were reaching for whatever obscure perceived slights against wrestling they could crowdsource to fill in the blanks.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I have read so many comments about how njpw needs to cut roh and stardom should do the same and get a partnership with aew instead
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

maxx_powerz wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:23 pm I thought if this show underwhelmed ROH would be blamed, fairly or not. What I did not expect, and am very disappointed in, is that there seems to be a large contingent (on Twitter at least) that resents ROH's involvement and never had any interest in giving them a fair shot. Treating the double title matches as NJPW matches (making it easier to belittle what ROH contributed to the card), and I have never seen so many people claim to let themselves lose interest in an entire show because of a ten minute under card match or short post match skirmish. And don't get me started on the Bully Ray match, which half the crowd was determined to shit on if it was anything besides their beloved Ishii or Suzuki squashing Bully. I consider myself pretty neutral leaning negative towards the current state of ROH, but a lot of the reviews I'm reading on other sites had the outline of their review - ROH drags down NJPW super show - before the show started and just were reaching for whatever obscure perceived slights against wrestling they could crowdsource to fill in the blanks.
I can't speak to anyone else's experiences, especially for people who only wanted to see New Japan matches and had very little interest in ROH, but I came into this show thinking they would operate here based on their last few months of storytelling from the wrestlers during matches and with decisive outcomes. We instead got loaded with, speaking from the heart, TNA-esque angles that showed ROH to be at their worst impulses when they're given the attention. It reversed a lot of slowly mounting momentum they had been building as a more in-ring, indie-stars-of-this-moment kind of promotion. I think people are right to call out how this contrasted so heavily with New Japan's method of telling the aspects that are essential to their promotion in their matches.