Ring of Honor Events Schedule Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: Ring of Honor Events Schedule Thread

Post by Big Red Machine »

monster mafia wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:57 am Image

san antonio: bullet club vs briscoes & k.e.s.
So basically we're getting K.E.S. randomly teaming with the Briscoes the night before they get a totally random title shot at the Briscoes. Hmmm... well, I guess we all know which screwy finish we're getting for this supposedly big main event.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

it is a big main event...great match with the dynamic between kes and the briscoes...cool.
Big Red Machine

monster mafia wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:14 pm it is a big main event...great match with the dynamic between kes and the briscoes...cool.
These six/eight/ten-man tags actually make the matches feel smaller to me. It makes the match feel like it's a collection of guys just getting thrown together to save space. I would match rather they did Briscoes vs, K.E.S. on the first night and then just gave us K.E.S. vs. Young Bucks on the second night. K.E.S. vs. Bucks alone feels a lot bigger to me than K.E.S. & Briscoes vs. Bucks & their Bullet Club Pals.
Laviemarg

Post by Laviemarg »

Sinclair's Ring of Honor to hold show at Madison Square Garden

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/n ... dison.html

By Holden Wilen – Reporter, Baltimore Business Journal
3 hours ago
Ring of Honor Wrestling Entertainment LLC plans to have an event at New York's iconic Madison Square Garden next year as the professional wrestling promotion upgrades to bigger facilities.

In a recent interview, I asked Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. CEO Chris Ripley about the company's plans for its Ring of Honor brand in light of a reported $1 billion deal between Fox and World Wresting Entertainment Inc. for the rights to air SmackDown.

As part of Sinclair's plans to grow Ring of Honor and take advantage of a "very passionate fanbase," Ripley said the promotion's events are starting to take place at large venues. A show set to take place this year in Chicago sold out 10,000 seats in less than an hour.

Perhaps most exciting of all, Ripley said Ring of Honor will have a show at Madison Square Garden next year. It's a big move because in wrestling circles, MSG is considered a "home arena" for WWE.

"We have been scaling in terms of our production quality," Ripley said.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:20 am
monster mafia wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:14 pm it is a big main event...great match with the dynamic between kes and the briscoes...cool.
These six/eight/ten-man tags actually make the matches feel smaller to me. It makes the match feel like it's a collection of guys just getting thrown together to save space. I would match rather they did Briscoes vs, K.E.S. on the first night and then just gave us K.E.S. vs. Young Bucks on the second night. K.E.S. vs. Bucks alone feels a lot bigger to me than K.E.S. & Briscoes vs. Bucks & their Bullet Club Pals.
Yeah, I agree. The monotony of current ROH booking is seriously insane. It's just so same-y. The only thing I'm even interested in at ALL from those two Texas shows is the Lethal/Flip/Scurll 3 way on night 2. Those cards are horrendous. The upcoming PPV card is similarly bad.

It seems like their homegrown talent is also just getting worse and worse.

Like, guys like the Kingdom, they're never going to be at the level that past ROH guys were at. But now, they've been there for long enough, that we have no choice, we are stuck with the Kingdom on every event. They aren't terrible when working with good guys. But they're seriously the ROH representatives to take on first, the CMLL guys at the Texas show.. and then LIJ at the PPV?! Are you serious, ROH flying in Sanada, Bushi, and Evil to face THE KINGDOM!?!?! That's just insane to me. People freaked out over Tanahashi vs Mike Bennett back in the day, which was bad, too. But ROH, idk man, their roster sucks. And we just get to see the same rotations of guys over and over. I actually get excited for Beer City Bruiser on cards, honestly, because he is atleast a little variety on a card. And he doesn't just do the SAME, LAME shtick that the other guys do. Kingdom is just so goofy, man. They belong on east coast regional indies. And not on a damn national touring wrestling brand. It's crazy.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I wonder why they picked a CMLL title holder/ROH trios champs to face the CMLL trio... yeah, that certainly doesn't make sense.

The Kingdom is about Matt Taven, and Matt Taven has become a star. If you don't like him that's fine, but he's getting legitimate reactions in both the US and Mexico (and he has an IWGP Tag Title reign on his resume).
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, WWE is reportedly very upset about Ring of Honor running Madison Square Garden, and are “doing everything possible to block it.”
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:34 pm I wonder why they picked a CMLL title holder/ROH trios champs to face the CMLL trio... yeah, that certainly doesn't make sense.
It's not an issue of it not making sense. It's an expression of disbelief that the guys who ROH has representing them are so darn mediocre in the ring.
famicommander wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:34 pm The Kingdom is about Matt Taven, and Matt Taven has become a star. If you don't like him that's fine, but he's getting legitimate reactions in both the US and Mexico (and he has an IWGP Tag Title reign on his resume).
Taven isn't the problem. Taven can have great matches, and if ROH wants to give him a stable of lackeys then that's fine, too. We just want ROH to give him lackeys who are actually GOOD in the ring. ROH used to have a certain level of in-ring quality that was high enough that the company was able to promote itself on that. That level has dropped drastically in the past few years.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

TK O'Ryan is not bad at all and he's only getting better.

Everybody on this site has a hateboner for Marseglia. I think it sucks too, but y'all overreact and let it affect your perception of his stable mates.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Well, since there is no SOTA Thread I'll leave this here hahah.

Night 1 of SOTA Tour was great! First, with that card, I thought it was going to be a weak show but it was really good, one of the strongest/more enjoyables VOD shows of the year. Crowd was hot and everybody worked hard. There was no intermission but the show didn't drag.

Gresham, O'Ryan and Stallion left SA as true stars. ROH gave the first two great matches with a lot of time (15-20 minutes) against two of the biggest superstars in the company (Lethal and Cody). Stallion, btw, had a really cool sprint with Silas. Such a good opportunity for him, hope they bring him back.

Main event was your usual BC crazy match. It was good to see Marty back in the US. As a fan of the Briscoes, i was really looking foward for this match, but they had problems with their flight so they didn't make it to the show. It weird to see a ROH show without them.

I skipped Titus vs. Gordon and the trios match since I had little time and that were the most "meh" matches on the card. Another good thing, btw, is that the reviewers out there that usually dislike ROH's product were very possitive with this one.

I almost missed it, both the CMLL guys and Thunder Rosa looked strong in fun little matches.

Kingdom (Marseglia/Taven) vs. Boys ⭐⭐⭐
Lethal vs. O'Ryan ⭐⭐⭐1/2
Team CMLL vs. SCU ⭐⭐⭐1/4
Stallion vs. Silas ⭐⭐⭐1/4+
Cody vs. Gresham ⭐⭐⭐1/2++
BC (Bucks/Marty/Page) vs. KES & Kingdom (Marseglia/O'Ryan) ⭐⭐⭐⭐
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

please roh...sign Stallion, push gresham and give tk more single matches...thanks.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

What'd you guys think about last night's show? I can't imagine many people watched it with NXT the same night. Those Takeover cards are too stacked and too good to watch anything else, no matter what your allegiances are.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:22 pm
famicommander wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:34 pm I wonder why they picked a CMLL title holder/ROH trios champs to face the CMLL trio... yeah, that certainly doesn't make sense.
It's not an issue of it not making sense. It's an expression of disbelief that the guys who ROH has representing them are so darn mediocre in the ring.
famicommander wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:34 pm The Kingdom is about Matt Taven, and Matt Taven has become a star. If you don't like him that's fine, but he's getting legitimate reactions in both the US and Mexico (and he has an IWGP Tag Title reign on his resume).
Taven isn't the problem. Taven can have great matches, and if ROH wants to give him a stable of lackeys then that's fine, too. We just want ROH to give him lackeys who are actually GOOD in the ring. ROH used to have a certain level of in-ring quality that was high enough that the company was able to promote itself on that. That level has dropped drastically in the past few years.
"ROH used to be...", man, it's always the same with all the problems you see lol
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I think ROH has changed dramatically in the talent that it wants in it's ranks which i like and dislike in equal measure. I think it's for a variety of reasons, from price of talent and being able to pay higher earners within the company while producing profit and income into the company. I imagine the likes of Marseglia, Taylor and Martinez are cheaper at cost yet can still produce without the outlay of say someone like Richocet, Hero, Aries etc. Then there is the attractiveness to WWE and building own stars from the ground up and not losing them at important times of the companies future.

I think the biggest factor right now is that ROH is a very personality driven show, we see the likes of Gresham really stand out both in a good and bad way because of this but if anything ROH now reminds me of WWE in the late eighties earliy nineties. It's taken a long time to work out from a booking stand point but i do believe it's becoming clearer as to what and where ROH is going (that said if night two of SOTA is anything to go by then there are huge problems ahead) if it's anything like night one it's in much better shape.

I do have huge issues with night two but bizzarely admist the shit they actually pushed several of the PPV matches forward and had instances or reminders about all of them.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:09 pm TK O'Ryan is not bad at all and he's only getting better.

This might be true, but the booking has not allowed him the chance to prove that he can go at an ROH level. They stick him in singles matches with guys he should be proving himself against like Daniels or Lethal and give the matches less than ten minutes.
Big Red Machine

alexsmellzzz wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:06 am What'd you guys think about last night's show? I can't imagine many people watched it with NXT the same night. Those Takeover cards are too stacked and too good to watch anything else, no matter what your allegiances are.
Yeah... but that's the reason they go up on VOD. Sometimes this sort of thing just happens. It's not really a big deal unless it affected the actual live gate.
Big Red Machine

AlexROH wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:42 am
Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:22 pm
"ROH used to be...", man, it's always the same with all the problems you see lol
Sorry if I'm not prepared to accept mediocrity from I brand that earned my loyalty through high quality. Do you really think there isn't talent out there willing to work for the same price (or less) as guys like Marseglia who aren't better than he is?
Big Red Machine

I haven't seen the show yet, but I'm not sure what everyone's problems with the main event result are.
Spoiler: show
Silas wasn't doing anything with the title and is now more useful in the six-man tag title picture anyway, you do need the title to actually change hands in one of these dumb "Instant Reward" scenarios at some point if you ever want people to believe that the belt might change hands in one at any future shows, doing a title change does establish some importance for these Honor Club shows, and- perhaps most importantly- Page and Martinez really seem like the level of guys who should be feuding over the TV Title.
Silas hasn't really clicked as an ROH-caliber main event level player. I'd put him in the same category as Taven where he can have main event level matches when he's in there with a top guy, but he's not someone who can carry others to those matches.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:05 pm I haven't seen the show yet, but I'm not sure what everyone's problems with the main event result are.
Silas wasn't doing anything with the title and is now more useful in the six-man tag title picture anyway, you do need the title to actually change hands in one of these dumb "Instant Reward" scenarios at some point if you ever want people to believe that the belt might change hands in one at any future shows, doing a title change does establish some importance for these Honor Club shows, and- perhaps most importantly- Page and Martinez really seem like the level of guys who should be feuding over the TV Title.
Silas hasn't really clicked as an ROH-caliber main event level player. I'd put him in the same category as Taven where he can have main event level matches when he's in there with a top guy, but he's not someone who can carry others to those matches.
On a show that was treated as a night off for the guys and had a 'little person' to just carnie up ROH that level more it wasn't the time to do what they did.
Has there been someone that Silas has had a bad match with, i can't remember any. Personally i would say Silas has put himself over not necessarily as a main event player but he was at that level below, the TV title isn't always about moving someone up to the main event, it can just be about creating credibility which with Silas i think it certainly did. To me he was the perfect choice for the TV title, plus you already had a scenario that was building towards a bigger stage for him with Austin Aries and Kenny King, they left it open to now mean absolutely shit.

So this was all done to make the Page/Martinez match matter that little bit more, honestly that is just a shit reason to change a title, plus if they are just doing it to put the title on Page at the PPV he is going to the G1 so we are going to have nearly two months without any TV title on TV or PPV, sounds soo good....

I agree that that 'Instant Reward' matches should work at some point it just wasn't this point.[/spoiler
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

wow...that was a surprise, good for martinez, he is great