R.I.P. Larry Sweeney

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
fm20000

R.I.P. Larry Sweeney

Post by fm20000 »

One year ago today the world lost Sweet and Sour Larry Sweeney.

One of the greatest managers and people in wrestling history. Rest in Peace.
187_Joeism

Re: R.I.P. Larry Sweeney

Post by 187_Joeism »

R.I.P Alex You are not forgotten
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

I first met Larry Sweeney in 2006. Over the next five or so years he and I found that we shared a lot in common & became fast friends. In fact, when more of the wrestlers in ROH & CZW began using me as a tape source Sweeney was among the most frequent people requesting old footage.

One quick Larry Sweeney story I think everyone can enjoy that doesn't shed too much into his personal life occurred in a hotel room outside of Mannasses, Virginia. I had been given a hotel room key and went to drop off my stuff with a couple friends before going off to the building for the show that night. I put the key in the slot and opened the door to find a suitcase already on the bed. As I walked over to the suitcase I found the following items....

1. Tie dye shirt
2. Box of condoms
3. Aviator sunglasses
4. Bluetooth headset
5. Snakeskin boots
6. Brown suit complete with vest

I knew who's stuff that was. Later on when I spoke to Sweeney next, I mentioned to him the story. He said I'd have made a great roommate because I could hold a conversation. I felt honored knowing I had his respect.

There's so many other stories and memories I have of Alex the person & not Larry the character. In my home I don't have any wrestling stuff on display except in my basement gym. I have a Sweeney business card in a small frame next to pictures of my family. Larry was that important to me. His memory and his presence will live forever.
Admin note: User permanently banned.
TreeOfWHOA!

Post by TreeOfWHOA! »

Alex will be missed forever in the indie wrestling world. He is one of the few wrestlers that would respond to a simple facebook message. I remember exchanging messages with Alex over which Rocky film's were the best. With Rocky II being his favorite and Rocky IV being his most hated(Killing off Appollo really pissed Alex off). We exchanged about 3 or 4 messages together over such a silly subject. And as stupid of a memory that might seem to some ..i'll never forget it and i'll never delete those messages. Eddie Guerrero, Mr.Perfect and Larry Sweeney(The only wrestlers i've ever legit shed tears over)
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

#12Large was apparently trending on Twitter just now. Sweeney's remembered worldwide.

Never got the chance to meet him but thanks for sharing the stories guys. It really seems like he touched everyone's lives that he met.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I ordered the first ROH PPV, Respect is Earned. That was the first ever ROH show I watched.

The Sweet n' Sour promo on that PPV was pretty much what got me into ROH. I was totally into that all the way through after that.

RIP Larry Sweeney. "12 Large, Brother" has been the text on my phone's screen since Sweeney passed away.
Mr. Small Package

Post by Mr. Small Package »

R.I.P. Sweeney.
Nice Guy Eddie

Post by Nice Guy Eddie »

Damn, it's been a year already. ROH and wrestling, in general has been a lot let less fun w/o Sweeney.
SM22

Post by SM22 »

Can't believe it's been a year. Ironically, Larry died five years to the day my father passed away.

I would have loved to had meet him, because he was one of my favorites on the ROH roster back in the day. There was never a Sweeney promo i didn't find funny. My favorite promo he did is the one from Death Before Dishonor V Night one before the Danielson vs. Sydal match where he tries to convince Danielson to put the money he won from the Race to the Top tournament on the line.

Back at the This Means War II show, my little brother threw a streamer in the ring prior to the match, and the streamer was over thrown and hit Larry (by accident). After he was hit the streamer, he sold it like I never saw anyone sell anything before. His reaction was hilarous, and had the whole crowd laughing. Picture Shawn Michaels over selling Hogans offense at Summerslam 2005. It reminded me of that.

Sadly, I don't see there ever being another wrestling personality like Larry again.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

SM22 wrote:Can't believe it's been a year. Ironically, Larry died five years to the day my father passed away.

I would have loved to had meet him, because he was one of my favorites on the ROH roster back in the day. There was never a Sweeney promo i didn't find funny. My favorite promo he did is the one from Death Before Dishonor V Night one before the Danielson vs. Sydal match where he tries to convince Danielson to put the money he won from the Race to the Top tournament on the line.

Sadly, I don't see there ever being another wrestling personality like Larry again.
This. I really wanted ROH to return to the UK in 2007-8 just so I could get a chance to meet/see him perform live.

Wrestling will never see his like again, thought it was a very nice touch from CHIKARA to name the tourney to crown their first champ after him and to crown the champion in his honour.
SM22

Post by SM22 »

classic-cabana wrote:
SM22 wrote:Can't believe it's been a year. Ironically, Larry died five years to the day my father passed away.

This. I really wanted ROH to return to the UK in 2007-8 just so I could get a chance to meet/see him perform live.

Wrestling will never see his like again, thought it was a very nice touch from CHIKARA to name the tourney to crown their first champ after him and to crown the champion in his honour.
I remember Chikara really went out of their way to honor his memory. They also reprinted Sweet N' Sour shirts and donated the money.

One more thing- I remember someone on the old ROH board posted the phone number on the buisness cards he gave out. Did anyone ever call that? It had a Philly area code, and when you dialed it, the phone rings a few times, then you would hear a recording from Sweeney. I must have called that number about 7 or 8 times because it was so funny, but I don't remember what he said. I do remember hearing his famous laugh at the end, and would crack up every time I heard it.
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

I called it several times because it was hysterical. He'd change the message occasionally too which made it current to whatever matches were going on that weekend. Genius idea.
Admin note: User permanently banned.
BrandenScott

Post by BrandenScott »

I would talk to Alex at IWC shows in Pittsburgh. He went as far as to give me both his personal cell numbers. He would text often, but towards the last year the texts got cryptic. I thought it was an angle and told him he didn't have to work me. Sadly I never heard from him or saw him again. I still have a Larry Sweeney Texarkana champion hoodie that he personally gave me. One of the kindest guys I have had the pleasure of meeting. Sadly on April 11th this year my uncle passed away. April 11th will always be a sad day to me.