War Of The Worlds 2017 SuperThread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: War Of The Worlds 2017 SuperThread

Post by Big Red Machine »

dhads7161 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: Meh. Unless it's a high school gym or the like, no building is not aesthetically pleasing enough for this type of show.
To be fair there are actually some nice high school gyms out there that look like they would be perfect for a wrestling show. Surprised ROH doesn't do more of them. Look at gyms for larger high schools, these things are quite huge, with great dressing room facilities.
I think there's just a stigma about wrestling in gyms. It looks "indy" in most negative sense of the word.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

I promise you most indy wrestlers would feel like they were at Madison Square Garden in a high school gym compared to most places they wrestle.

I've wrestled in bars, old skating rinks, and parking lots and I guarantee you most if not all ROH talents have to.

Daniel Bryan even referred to wrestling at abandoned gas stations in his retirement speach.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

SweetDaddy wrote:I promise you most indy wrestlers would feel like they were at Madison Square Garden in a high school gym compared to most places they wrestle.

I've wrestled in bars, old skating rinks, and parking lots and I guarantee you most if not all ROH talents have to.

Daniel Bryan even referred to wrestling at abandoned gas stations in his retirement speach.
Yeah my local indy company is running in a Harley Davidson dealership this month. Strange venue after they've actually been running in a venue that is perfect for independent wrestling. It is akin to a high school gym but it is owned by the city's park department.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

TORONTO RESULTS (OBSERVER)
Spoiler: show
Rhett Titus & Caprice Coleman defeated Motor City Machine Guns

- Hirooki Goto defeated Shane Taylor

The crowd heat for this was lacking as some people didn't really buy into Taylor or perhaps didn't know who he was. This might have been the weakest match on the card.

- Dalton Castle & The Boys defeated RPG Vice & Gedo

This had lots of comedy. Castle was really over with the Toronto crowd.

- Bully Ray defeated Hangman Page and Punishment Martinez

They had a good triple threat match. Of course, Bully Ray was over with the fans. He did classic Dudley Boyz spots with Page filling the role of D-Von.

- Cody defeated Will Ospreay

Both guys were really over and this match was super hot. Ospreay used a lot of his signature high spots, but toned things down a bit from the type of matches he was having last year. Cody was solid in his role and they had a good back and forth match.

- Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI defeated Matt Taven & Vinny Marseglia

This had an interesting dynamic given that both teams are heels. They had The Kingdom cut a heel promo on the crowd to counter that, making fun of the audience and the Toronto Raptors. Los Ingobernables de Japon (especially Naito) ended up being very over with the crowd anyway.

Naito hit the Destino on Marseglia to get the win. The match lacked heat a bit because no one bought that the Los Ingobernables team would lose.

- The Briscoes defeated EVIL & SANADA and Beer City Bruiser & Silas Young

The Briscoes ended up getting the win in this triple threat tag match. SANADA has quite the presence. The crowd wasn't really into Beer City Bruiser and Young, but they managed to win the audience over with high spots of their own.

- KUSHIDA defeated Jay Lethal

This was my favorite match of the night. It was really strong and they did a lot of pure wrestling. It went back and forth as they did some great counters. KUSHIDA nailed the Lethal Injection on Lethal at one point.

- The Elite (Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks) defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi & The Addiction (Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian)

No one on this show was as over as The Elite. They were like rock stars to the crowd. As over as the Bucks were when they entered the ring, it was nothing compared to Omega. It's just amazing to see how much has changed in a year.

The match was full of crazy high spots and it never let up. The crowd was unglued for the whole thing, and it must have gone 30 minutes at least. Daniels was going to nail Omega with the championship belt at one point, but Cody ran in and grabbed the title from behind to make the save. The match finished with Omega hitting the One Winged Angel on Daniels for the pin.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Oh yeah, there was a show that happened yesterday, you can tell how blazingly hot this tour is by the fact that nobody is talking about it.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Sounds like a good-great night all round wrestling wise, hopefully everything will come off as well on VOD.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

monster mafia wrote:TORONTO RESULTS (OBSERVER)
Would someone care to explain the logic of this one?
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

My only guess it was to give a big ol' middle finger to the pick 'ems, lol
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Big Red Machine wrote:
maybe to put him as a potential top contender for the tittle or to put the things 1-1 between them
Last edited by monster mafia on Mon May 08, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

Big Red Machine wrote:
No words.... smh
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

A cruiserweight going over clean on your bell cow and even put his own finisher on him.

That my friends is why this company has went to shit.
christopherclinton55

SweetDaddy wrote:A cruiserweight going over clean on your bell cow and even put his own finisher on him.

True also I doubt he's staying around for awhile maybe a heel turn coming
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

christopherclinton55 wrote:
SweetDaddy wrote:A cruiserweight going over clean on your bell cow and even put his own finisher on him.

man,he signed a two-year deal.
christopherclinton55

monster mafia wrote:
christopherclinton55 wrote:

man,he signed a two-year deal.

Not him the other guy he going back to njpw
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Zero buzz for last night's only ROH card of the year to feature Omega
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Big Red Machine wrote:Would someone care to explain the logic of this one?
Losing streak*, turning heel at some point. You know, the usual Delirious """storytelling""".

* I know this isn't a streak,but they sure turned the longest reigning champion of the modern/current era into just another meandering guy in a hurry. Compare that to Briscoe and how beating him in a singles match still meant something more than a year after his title run.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I wonder if it's a move to create an avenue for Kushida to enter the main event scene, he's talked about it before so maybe it's a start of something more for him in ROH, or gives him credibility for when challenging at a later date.

I certainly think it's the worong for move Lethal going into the title match, but It's been fairly obvious they are building Cody for the title.

Also is there a lack of buz because the internet community says there is, the fact the every night is sold out would suggest that buzz doesn't really mean shit. Also would it be more down to the fact that it wasn't on IPPV.
theskeep

Post by theskeep »

BurningHammer wrote:Also is there a lack of buz because the internet community says there is, the fact the every night is sold out would suggest that buzz doesn't really mean shit. Also would it be more down to the fact that it wasn't on IPPV.
No, there's definitely a lack of buzz. The booking of the whole thing just screams house show. And that's exactly what it was, a VOD house show. They have all that talent and it's just a random throwaway show lol. The Elite working that 6 man when they've done like 3 of those in the past month doesn't help either. But with these 4 shows, it's clear ROH is doing quantity over quality, trying to get as much out of these guys as possible. I'm fine with it, it's probably a decent show. The show just doesn't mean anything. But I guess no ROH show anymore really means anything.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

also kushida is a sort of "local guy" in canada because New Japan sent him to Canada to gain experience a few years ago.

lack of buzz on twitter maybe because the show was packed... and is a house show so you need to wait for the vod.

lets talk about lack of buzz when a ppv is coming and nobody comments about it..last night was a house show.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Lack of buzz? Twitter isn't the real world. Now, in the IWC, everybody talks bullshit about ROH. Yeah, there's a lot of thing to critize, but they don't watch the product and talk bad reading reports and all that stuff.

If it wasn't for this trend, the IWC would be hyped for the tour. But hey, just like I said, Twitter isn't the world. ROH did another sold out, a lot of websites and newspappers talk about the tour and every reaction I read from the ones who went to the show yesterday is possitive. The cards for Dearborn and New York are awesome, everybody knows it. I don't care if Twitter talks about it. The reality is ROH doing sold outs and selling a lot of VODs.

Eh, there is a lack of buzz eeh, the last PPV was the VOD with most buys in the history of the company and SCOH broke the record for attendance, but eh, if people talk bullshit on Twitter that means that ROH has a lack of buzz hahaha.