Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chief

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Chief »

Has it ever been explained why, if Cole was in cahoots with the Kingdom this entire time, they didn't help him become #1 Contender?
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Because Cole still had to pretend he was friends with Kyle and not with Taven and Bennett anymore
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Chief

Post by Chief »

jordidebaas wrote:Because Cole still had to pretend he was friends with Kyle and not with Taven and Bennett anymore
And this is where I find holes in the logic of the whole thing. Cole's motivation is that he is pissed that O'Reilly's name was brought up in the #1 Contender conversation and not his. Because of that the Kingdom devise a plan to screw O'Reilly from winning the title. Wouldn't it have made more sense to also help Cole win the #1 Contender match?

O'Reilly is taken out of contention AND Cole is the new #1 Contender, checking off both things Cole was pissed about in the first place.

The Kingdom could have run in, "pretending" to take out Cole and "accidentally" helping him win.

Not saying that I'd like to see it or that it would make the match better but at least it would make sense in-story.
WHG

Post by WHG »

I haven't struggled with the logic around the Cole story the way others have. As I see it...

The initial issue with the Kingdom was real (kayfabe). They were irritated when Cole dropped the fall at BITW. The next night, Cole teamed with O'Reilly in the impromptu Addiction match because he was pissed at the Addiction for the KRD framing. They won that match and ended up being booked for a title match in Baltimore the following month.

Before the taping in Baltimore in July, Nigel announced that O'Reilly was getting the ASE title shot. At this point, Cole had likely worked through his issues with the Kingdom and they planned to screw Kyle during the match. This included Cole chasing Maria to the back during their title shot, leaving Kyle to get beaten by the Addiction.

Finally, Cole wasn't going to have the Kingdom interfere in his ASE match because he was likely confident that he'd win and whether he was the number one contender or not, his primary goal was to ensure that Kyle didn't walk out of the match as champion. Having them interfere would have tipped his hand and they'd just spent over a month convincing Kyle that Cole was his trusted friend.

Admittedly they didn't clearly explain any of this on TV like they should have, but when I initially thought through it I didn't have the problems that many did with it.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

WHG wrote:I haven't struggled with the logic around the Cole story the way others have. As I see it...

The initial issue with the Kingdom was real (kayfabe). They were irritated when Cole dropped the fall at BITW. The next night, Cole teamed with O'Reilly in the impromptu Addiction match because he was pissed at the Addiction for the KRD framing. They won that match and ended up being booked for a title match in Baltimore the following month.

Before the taping in Baltimore in July, Nigel announced that O'Reilly was getting the ASE title shot. At this point, Cole had likely worked through his issues with the Kingdom and they planned to screw Kyle during the match. This included Cole chasing Maria to the back during their title shot, leaving Kyle to get beaten by the Addiction.

Finally, Cole wasn't going to have the Kingdom interfere in his ASE match because he was likely confident that he'd win and whether he was the number one contender or not, his primary goal was to ensure that Kyle didn't walk out of the match as champion. Having them interfere would have tipped his hand and they'd just spent over a month convincing Kyle that Cole was his trusted friend.

Admittedly they didn't clearly explain any of this on TV like they should have, but when I initially thought through it I didn't have the problems that many did with it.
I would buy this story if they had told it. The way they've portrayed it, though, is that all of Cole's friction with The Kingdom was a ruse all along, which is what doesn't make sense.

Also, it would have been nice if they had avoided Cole taking out Dijak to protect O'Reilly in the ASE main event. That was excessive Russo-esque swerving for the sake of swerving. There was no particular reason for Cole to attack Dijak (just to be "shocking") seconds before turning on O'Reilly and handing the match to Lethal. They could have easily avoided that bit.
Chief

Post by Chief »

I could buy that story if the Kingdom break up wasn't predicated on the fact that Adam Cole was losing matches.

If you're the Kingdom and you are pissed that Adam Cole is losing matches, why would you leave it up to him to win the #1 Contender's match on his own?

They could have easily ran in and acted like they were going to hurt Cole only for Cole to move out of the way and Roddy or Elgin gets hit. Cole looks conflicted on what to do but because he wants that World title so badly he hits his move and takes the pin. Have the Kingdom sell it facially like they are pissed they helped Cole.

None of what I outlined takes away from the main event. Who cares if you screw O'Reilly when you aren't any closer to the World title yourself?
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

I think in kayfabe, that would be pretty impossible to pull off

Also, if you're going to make a list of 'why did wrestler X not help wrestler Y beat wrestler Z', you could probably make it your full time job and you wouldn't have finished it before your retirement, so that seems like a really small thing to be complaining about in a story that was pretty much full of flaws the way it was explained.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

@OfficialTAZ 1h1 hour ago
BREAKING: @realkevinkelly on #TheTAZShow LIVE tomorrow with some BIG @ringofhonor news! @playit @Radiodotcom @tunein
This could be regarding The Young Bucks. In another twist to this story, Joe Lanza of Voices of Wrestling posted on the VOW Forums (which I'm also part of) that two different people have told him privately that The Young Bucks have signed with two different companies, which is fascinating.
WHG

Post by WHG »

I could see the deal being a contract with New Japan and ROH. They've said they work on a tour-to-tour handshake deal with NJPW, so signing an actual contract like Anderson has with them would be a good security blanket for them, and could fit nicely with a North American exclusive ROH deal. I really hope that's the announcement.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Could be Taz on color commentary at Final Battle in Philly.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Burnside wrote:Could be Taz on color commentary at Final Battle in Philly.
Oh boy...:shock:
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I'm just trying to think from the perspective of what Kevin Kelly would think was important.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Burnside wrote:I'm just trying to think from the perspective of what Kevin Kelly would think was important.
That you had a date.
Last Real Man Hype
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Early 2000's Smackdown Taz was great.

Recent years Impact Wrestling Taz, not so much.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

The Dragon Saga wrote:Early 2000's Smackdown Taz was great.

Recent years Impact Wrestling Taz, not so much.
Agreed but Impact Wrestling Taz on commentary is still better than Elijah Burke saying "if you will" every friggin minute.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
Burnside wrote:Could be Taz on color commentary at Final Battle in Philly.
Oh boy...:shock:
I think your realistic choices are:

- Nigel
- Veda
- Stokely Hathaway

Outside choices:

- Corino gets re-instated just in time
- Whitmer
- A cycle of different guest commentators

Outside the box choices:

- That guy who does the hype videos and is on the WOH match. He is in a bunch of photos with Kelly from Dayton and Kalamazoo.
- Larry Mercer

Hell is freezing over choice:

- Caleb Seltzer

Taz would be an interesting choice, though, considering the location and the circumstances.
WHG

Post by WHG »

I think we're getting NIgel on commentary on TV and (assuming Corino isn't back) at Final Battle as well.

The real question is how smart that is if they do want to bring Corino back to the booth, because so many people prefer Nigel in that role.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I actually really enjoyed the commentary team that was on the youtube Future of Honor match. You could tell they were a little inexperienced but they were exactly the style I want to hear and did a good job.
Spoiler: show
I think Corino will be back before too long due to his health problems. Didn't hear how long he'd be out of commission but I'd assume not that long for commentary. Also, is this a spoiler or is it generally known?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

bruhhhhhhhhhhh

dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

With ROH running SCOH as part of the Wrestlecon festivities do you think we may see a two off return by Colt?