Officlal NWA Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
famicommander

Re: Officlal NWA Thread

Post by famicommander »

kovs27 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:39 am
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:20 am
kovs27 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:46 am

I watched all the UWN shows. They are what they are. In all honesty the NWA isn't going to be able to do anything on their own until after the pandemic. Billy can't raise the money for the shows without being able to tour with Smashing Pumpkins.
Yuup. Even then, not many people left on the ship.
True. The NWA will work best utilizing young, hungry and inexpensive talent and older veterans with a little name value. Minimize those costs until the brand can grow and Billy can turn a profit.
He bought it in 2017 and it's almost 2021. It was getting less popular before the pandemic, not more popular. Powerrr viewership was in serious decline and then they shut it down for several months and replaced it with Shockwave, which so far is less popular than the least viewed episode of Powerrr. It's never going to turn a profit. Especially without Dave Lagana and Maureen Tracy actually running the business. Lagana got metoo'd and Tracy, their director of operations, left the day before Shockwave premiered.

It doesn't mean they can't come back and get back to where Powerrr was when it left off. It just depends on how much money Billy is willing to lose. I don't think Impact has ever turned a profit and they've been around since 2002.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:54 pm
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:20 am

Yuup. Even then, not many people left on the ship.
True. The NWA will work best utilizing young, hungry and inexpensive talent and older veterans with a little name value. Minimize those costs until the brand can grow and Billy can turn a profit.
He bought it in 2017 and it's almost 2021. It was getting less popular before the pandemic, not more popular. Powerrr viewership was in serious decline and then they shut it down for several months and replaced it with Shockwave, which so far is less popular than the least viewed episode of Powerrr. It's never going to turn a profit. Especially without Dave Lagana and Maureen Tracy actually running the business. Lagana got metoo'd and Tracy, their director of operations, left the day before Shockwave premiered.

It doesn't mean they can't come back and get back to where Powerrr was when it left off. It just depends on how much money Billy is willing to lose. I don't think Impact has ever turned a profit and they've been around since 2002.
Anthem has claimed to have made money with Impact in 2019 I believe. Who knows how true it is. It's not like we can see the numbers like with a publicly traded company. With Billy and the NWA, you could be right. It's a big hill to have to reclimb just to get to where they built to previously, which wasn't profitable. We'll see what happens.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

kovs27 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:07 pm
famicommander wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:54 pm

Anthem has claimed to have made money with Impact in 2019 I believe. Who knows how true it is. It's not like we can see the numbers like with a publicly traded company. With Billy and the NWA, you could be right. It's a big hill to have to reclimb just to get to where they built to previously, which wasn't profitable. We'll see what happens.
I could buy that the parent company Anthem gains overall value with Impact with relation to the cost of producing and airing Impact versus whatever other programming they'd have to air in lieu of it. But a direct profit, meaning Impact itself has more direct dollars coming in than going out? I doubt it. If they did manage to turn a profit then great for them.

I think a profitable venture for a multibillion dollar international media conglomerate like Anthem or Sinclair has a different context than when we're talking about guys who were worth about 50 million at their peak like Billy or a guy like Court Bauer, whom as far as I know is worth orders of magnitude less than that. There is no faceless megacorporation playing the long game for NWA or MLW. If ROH or Impact have less revenue coming in than going out at the promotional level they could still be profitable to the parent company. If MLW or NWA have less revenue coming in than going out, it just means Court and Billy are getting poorer.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Looks like the NWA is off of YouTube, wonder what that means? I’m sure some on here will find a way to say that the MLW deal is better.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:47 pm Looks like the NWA is off of YouTube, wonder what that means? I’m sure some on here will find a way to say that the MLW deal is better.
DAZN aired a promo for LA Park vs Alexander Hammerstone during the Canelo fight last night and they had LA Park record a social media message promoting the fight beforehand.

If NWA has a deal that is better than DAZN, Fubo Sports Network/Roku Channel, BeIN Sports, BeIN Sports Espanol, Youtube, and TV in 20+ other countries then good for them. I doubt it, though.

I would hazard a guess that it's some streaming outlet like that new indie wrestling Pluto channel, Roku Channel, Impact Plus, or IWTV but we'll have to wait and see. Or maybe it's just an exclusive deal with Fite TV, because it looks like all the Powerrr stuff is still up there.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:34 pm
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:47 pm Looks like the NWA is off of YouTube, wonder what that means? I’m sure some on here will find a way to say that the MLW deal is better.
DAZN aired a promo for LA Park vs Alexander Hammerstone during the Canelo fight last night and they had LA Park record a social media message promoting the fight beforehand.

If NWA has a deal that is better than DAZN, Fubo Sports Network/Roku Channel, BeIN Sports, BeIN Sports Espanol, Youtube, and TV in 20+ other countries then good for them. I doubt it, though.

I would hazard a guess that it's some streaming outlet like that new indie wrestling Pluto channel, Roku Channel, Impact Plus, or IWTV but we'll have to wait and see. Or maybe it's just an exclusive deal with Fite TV, because it looks like all the Powerrr stuff is still up there.
Yes, but DAZN is still only showing the last 3 episodes of Fusion. It’s trash. Nobody is subscribing to DAZN for MLW.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:56 pm
famicommander wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:34 pm

Yes, but DAZN is still only showing the last 3 episodes of Fusion. It’s trash. Nobody is subscribing to DAZN for MLW.
On March 12 MLW is airing a live special on DAZN. And we've already established that the DAZN deal is what enabled MLW to increase the pay rate and length of the contracts they're offering, even though you chose to ignore that. Whether people are subscribing to DAZN specifically for MLW or not, DAZN is clearly a difference maker for MLW.

Court also says they are in active negotiations with multiple streaming and linear outlets and another deal could be imminent:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredkonu ... 3ecc515386

He also claims the BeIN viewership is up 40% year over year.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

We’ve already been over this. All the news comes from Court and no company like DAZN is going to pay any real money for content people can already get for free.

NWA looks to be getting something and took their stuff off YouTube. MLW still shows their stuff on YouTube despite being on 80 different platforms.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I know reading isn't your strong suit but DAZN is airing a live exclusive special next Friday night. The DAZN deal was always going to cover exclusive shows; MLW just didn't get a chance to run any yet during the pandemic.

We'll see if NWA is promoted during a Canelo fight or something equivalent. I bet not. I bet they end up on a streaming service that already airs several other promotions.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:05 am I know reading isn't your strong suit but DAZN is airing a live exclusive special next Friday night. The DAZN deal was always going to cover exclusive shows; MLW just didn't get a chance to run any yet during the pandemic.

We'll see if NWA is promoted during a Canelo fight or something equivalent. I bet not. I bet they end up on a streaming service that already airs several other promotions.
Big congrats to MLW for being promoted on DAZN during a fight that nobody thought was going to be competitive, for something already on their service, that absolutely nobody watches exclusively on there.

Who is on this card next Friday? Their Twitter account is only promoting Wednesday’s show and even “Never Say Never” on 3/31. Shouldn’t they be promoting their partner’s show who pays them “a lot” of money, since it’s next Friday?

Wherever the NWA goes, hopefully they start running new shows and content.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Just as I said, it's just a Fite TV deal:
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/ ... on-fite-tv

So their viewership is about to fall by several orders of magnitude but the revenue should still be more than Youtube so long as NWA can sell at least a few hundred PPVs.

Now we wait to see how a certain somebody tries to spin this as a bigger deal than DAZN, BeIN Sports, Fubo/Roku, international TV, BeIN Espanol, and Youtube.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:37 am Just as I said, it's just a Fite TV deal:

So their viewership is about to fall by several orders of magnitude but the revenue should still be more than Youtube so long as NWA can sell at least a few hundred PPVs.

Now we wait to see how a certain somebody tries to spin this as a bigger deal than DAZN, BeIN Sports, Fubo/Roku, international TV, BeIN Espanol, and Youtube.
Looks like reading comprehension isn’t your strong point either as it does not mention any deal regarding weekly or semi-regular programming. Only for the PPV, which they have already used FITE for in the past.

I’m still waiting for you to answer why MLW isn’t promoting their media partners “exclusive event” that is in 2 weeks. Especially since they’re paying “big bucks” to have their content.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:15 am
famicommander wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:37 am Just as I said, it's just a Fite TV deal:

Looks like reading comprehension isn’t your strong point either as it does not mention any deal regarding weekly or semi-regular programming. Only for the PPV, which they have already used FITE for in the past.

I’m still waiting for you to answer why MLW isn’t promoting their media partners “exclusive event” that is in 2 weeks. Especially since they’re paying “big bucks” to have their content.
Read the article. Raj Giri says this is the new media deal that was alluded to earlier.

Given the price of the PPV (28 bucks) it appears they are doing the same thing Primetime Live did; they are going to tape 4 PPVs and then sell them for the 28 dollar price and then air one per week. In other words, they went from a free weekly show (Powerrr/Shockwave) to a show that costs 7 bucks a week to watch.

As for why DAZN isn't promoting their upcoming show, I don't know. But a DAZN employee tweeted that MLW was airing a live show on DAZN on March 12 and Court Bauer retweeted it so it seems to be happening.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:54 am

Read the article. Raj Giri says this is the new media deal that was alluded to earlier.

Given the price of the PPV (28 bucks) it appears they are doing the same thing Primetime Live did; they are going to tape 4 PPVs and then sell them for the 28 dollar price and then air one per week. In other words, they went from a free weekly show (Powerrr/Shockwave) to a show that costs 7 bucks a week to watch.

As for why DAZN isn't promoting their upcoming show, I don't know. But a DAZN employee tweeted that MLW was airing a live show on DAZN on March 12 and Court Bauer retweeted it so it seems to be happening.
Again, he doesn’t say it’s replacing Powerrr or that it is exclusive. Only vague details.

As a big NWA fan, I think doing the Primetime Live thing is stupid. You really can’t justify paying $30 a month for NWA content when WWE and ROH do it for $10 and have extensive back catalog of content.

I’m sure they will have a solid amount of people ordering it every week, but paying $30 a month for Nick Aldis and ThunderRosa isn’t a great business plan to me.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:07 am
famicommander wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:54 am

Again, he doesn’t say it’s replacing Powerrr or that it is exclusive. Only vague details.

As a big NWA fan, I think doing the Primetime Live thing is stupid. You really can’t justify paying $30 a month for NWA content when WWE and ROH do it for $10 and have extensive back catalog of content.

I’m sure they will have a solid amount of people ordering it every week, but paying $30 a month for Nick Aldis and ThunderRosa isn’t a great business plan to me.
Giri was the one who broke the story that a new media deal was coming and he says this is it. They're doing the Primetime Live thing. That's why Powerrr is still up on Fite. They might try to cut the PPVs up into one hour episodes like they did with Shockwave but this is the deal.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

https://apnews.com/article/billy-corgan ... bcaf173f52

It says Powerrr returns as part of the PPV bundle. So I guess one live PPV and then back to weekly Powerrr starting the following Tuesday. But it is clear Powerrr is no longer free.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:23 am https://apnews.com/article/billy-corgan ... bcaf173f52

It says Powerrr returns as part of the PPV bundle. So I guess one live PPV and then back to weekly Powerrr starting the following Tuesday. But it is clear Powerrr is no longer free.
“Low cost subscription”, yeah we’ll see about that. No way I am paying $5 every week for this. I will order the first show, but I better not see the RnRE wrestle and a bunch of nobodies.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

“On March 21st NWA is back on FITE! Back for the Attack is the first PPV event of NWA in 2021 and will be big, and historic! The event features the NWA World’s Heavyweight Champion Nick Aldis, NWA stars Thunder Rosa, Aron Stevens, Trevor Murdoch, Elijah Burke aka The Pope, Tim Storm, Kamille, and many more.”

They have nobody. Rosa's husband has been tweeting about how she can't wait until she is allowed to sign with AEW. She's gone as soon as her deal is up. That list is just their belt holders minus Deeb, plus old ass Tim Storm.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:33 am “On March 21st NWA is back on FITE! Back for the Attack is the first PPV event of NWA in 2021 and will be big, and historic! The event features the NWA World’s Heavyweight Champion Nick Aldis, NWA stars Thunder Rosa, Aron Stevens, Trevor Murdoch, Elijah Burke aka The Pope, Tim Storm, Kamille, and many more.”

They have nobody. Rosa's husband has been tweeting about how she can't wait until she is allowed to sign with AEW. She's gone as soon as her deal is up. That list is just their belt holders minus Deeb, plus old ass Tim Storm.
Yes, we’re all aware of their lack of people. Maybe some free agents will show up or ROH, AEW talent.

Too bad they can’t use “stars” from MLW like Kevin Ku, Dominic Gurini, and Mads Krueger....
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

You cherry picked some low end MLW guys to compare to the entire NWA roster?

But no mention of Lio Rush, ACH, TJP, the Von Erichs, Jacob Fatu, Tom Lawlor, Alexander Hammerstone, LA Park, Shawn Daivari, Laredo Kid, Mil Muertes, Low Ki, Myron Reed, or Richard Holliday?

Just face it. This whole thing proves what I have been saying all along: Youtube views don't mean dick. NWA couldn't even pull off an ad revenue split with anybody. That's the only reason to go to PPV. Those MLW ad split deals with the likes of Fubo and BeIN are far, far beyond NWA's reach.