ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by supersonic »

https://t.co/gnBLxhbCYx
Adam Cole is going to become a free agent this month.

Cole had been rumored to have his contract expire in 2024, but Wrestling Inc. has learned that it is expiring this month after SummerSlam. Cole’s contract was actually up after the Great American Bash, but he extended it.

Cole has a lot of options in front of him, including companies who are not even in the current wrestling space.

Stay tuned to Wrestling Inc. for updates.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:05 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:53 am Just doesn’t feel right in any shape or form really, having Vincent in a semi similar role is enough for me.

ROH needs to focus on actual wrestlers right now else the pure championship will just become inactive the way things are going. Also create matches people want to see instead of Brian Johnson and EC3. Which brings up the general lack of singles matches ROH provides to live fans, they are always minimal but Glory By Honor is taking the piss really.
It's kind of a double edge sword. I agree this is where the focus should be 100%. The downside to this methodology / focus; that means Bray goes to AEW or Impact. So what that means; they typically get stronger; and ROH continues to be out of the public eye... pulling further behind. (Also; IF you go with this methodology; you make SURE you sign guys like Wheeler Yuta & Lee Moriarty; and looks like ROH missed the boat on them)

I don't think Bray is a great fit either. IF they did bring him in; Vincent's faction would be perfect; but I feel like Bray/Vincent are pretty close.

As for people saying , to stay away from Bray for ROH; I'd sign him; if the money/deal is right. What he lacks in in ring skills; he makes up for in his creativity & mic skills. Guess it depends if ROH is OK with what it currently is; and the current fanbase. If not; they need to make some moves. They could/should have gone all out to get someone like Danielson/Punk back; with a better TV distribution deal. From what they show; they have no interest in growing beyond their current audience.

(Side rant)
WWE has given ROH plenty of chances to invest in themselves and their product; and try and grow the brand. WWE released Danielson, Hero, Samoa Joe, Andrade, ALeister Black, Buddy Murphy, Ruby Riott, Mickie James; Sarah Logan, Lio Rush... ROH could have expedited the rebuild; with bringing in some high profile talent to help with more star power; and start up a new women's division. It's possible ROH went after all these names; but couldn't get a deal done; but it's not like ROH had taken many risk ; and capitalize on opportunities. Also; they haven't been extremely aggressive in getting big name top indy talent either. They've got a nice core roster; but would like to see them be more aggressive to grow; and less complacency.
If ROH didn’t have the Vincent character nor PCO I would say def to bringing him but right now it would it just be too much unless you pan Vincent and have Bray lead the Righteous.

If ROH wasn’t so heavy in international talent that can’t actually appear I would think things would be easier. If you can finally get those guys in then the overall you have a well rounded roster if you now include the women. It just needs three or four more like Yuta, Yehi, Aramis etc to round everything off. Even more so if you are going to use 8 man matches which take away so many of your top stars in one match. I mean why are we not getting Dickenson vs Gresham, Homicide vs Lethal, King vs Lee, Williams and Titus vs Dickenson and Homicide. You know matches that actually will draw fans and make sense storyline wise.

It bugs me that ROH had a real opportunity to create strong cards and generally are getting weak ones for fans, yet we are getting strong matches for TV which no one really watches. It’s just generally stupid.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

The discussion around someone like Bray is the age old argument, but its a moot point. Bray isn't coming to ROH, and of all the recently available talent, he would probably be low on the list on the ROH side I'd imagine as well. Honesty, AEW is saturated, and there will be plenty of good talent looking for a place to shine in the coming year. The problem with ROH is they don't seem to be worried about even being #3.

They are way too comfortable in my opinion. Selling 500 tickets to the ECW arena right now should be a no-brainer, and if they can't someone should be fired up or fired to make it happen. But, they clearly aren't even worried about creating a buzz. I may be interested in watching both matches, but EC3 vs Johnson and Castle vs Danhausen are not what you promote if you are trying to "put butts in seats".

Best in the World was a good show, but they are not capitalizing on it. They don't even appear to be trying to.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The only thing that explains the way ROH has behaved since the pandemic is that the TV brings in enough money to cover payroll (this is my estimation based on their behavior, not a reporting of any inside information).. If that weren't the case I think Sinclair would've fired everybody and sold off the tape library by now; certainly during the 17 straight months with zero crowds. I can imagine no other rational explanation for why they paid everyone the entire time they weren't running shows and why they don't seem to be in a huge rush to get fans back in for TV tapings.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:33 am The only thing that explains the way ROH has behaved since the pandemic is that the TV brings in enough money to cover payroll (this is my estimation based on their behavior, not a reporting of any inside information).. If that weren't the case I think Sinclair would've fired everybody and sold off the tape library by now; certainly during the 17 straight months with zero crowds. I can imagine no other rational explanation for why they paid everyone the entire time they weren't running shows and why they don't seem to be in a huge rush to get fans back in for TV tapings.
Maybe they’re thinking about paying off long-term. Not everyone is looking to dump poor performing subsidiaries at the first sight of no profit.

They can’t be making THAT much from TV. I watched on live Tv this weekend and every commercial break started with the Flair CarShield commercials, then a local spot about going back to school. If that’s what you’re coming out with to start a commercial break, you don’t have much advertising. This is for one market. So is my market the rule or the anomaly?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:43 am
famicommander wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:33 am The only thing that explains the way ROH has behaved since the pandemic is that the TV brings in enough money to cover payroll (this is my estimation based on their behavior, not a reporting of any inside information).. If that weren't the case I think Sinclair would've fired everybody and sold off the tape library by now; certainly during the 17 straight months with zero crowds. I can imagine no other rational explanation for why they paid everyone the entire time they weren't running shows and why they don't seem to be in a huge rush to get fans back in for TV tapings.
Maybe they’re thinking about paying off long-term. Not everyone is looking to dump poor performing subsidiaries at the first sight of no profit.

They can’t be making THAT much from TV. I watched on live Tv this weekend and every commercial break started with the Flair CarShield commercials, then a local spot about going back to school. If that’s what you’re coming out with to start a commercial break, you don’t have much advertising. This is for one market. So is my market the rule or the anomaly?
No, your market is likely not an anomaly. You're just failing to understand the scale at work. Hundreds of stations times 16 minutes of ads, and many stations show the episodes more than once.

Let's say 250 stations in the US show ROH (it's more than that but 250 is an easy number to work with).

250 stations x 16 minutes of ads per airing = 4000 minutes of ad time per episode per airing. If they're only making 3 bucks per 30 second ad spot, which is lower than the cheapest ad you can get in Wichita, Kansas at 3 AM, that's $24,000 in ad revenue per airing x 52 episodes per year for a total of $1,248,000 per year just on the low end of single premiere episode airings on TV. That money gets split with the individual station owners or parent company itself, but that's still over $620,000 per year for the promotion itself.

Now consider that they are getting more than 3 bucks per spot in most places. You simply can't buy ad time for cheaper than that, and if they couldn't sell the ad time the stations wouldn't air the episodes. The absolute cheapest ad spot you can get in Baltimore for any timeslot is 15 bucks for a 30 second spot.

Now consider that some stations (like Stadium) air a single episode numerous times.

Now consider whatever international television revenue they might still be getting from Canada, India, Portugal, etc.

Now consider whatever they may be making from digital outlets like Fite, BOTP, rohwrestling.com, and the innumerable digital feeds of Stadium.

We're not dealing with huge sums here but it adds up.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Implicit in my post are two things

1) It doesn't appear there's a situation bad enough that Sinclair would hit the ejection button. The 17 months without a single ticket sold is as bad as it can possibly get. It was their version of Impact's rock bottom when they were paying fans to attend BFG and getting 8,000 viewers per week on Pursuit Channel.

unless

2) They (Sinclair) may eventually realize they could get good enough numbers airing legacy content and would eventually decide they don't need a payroll at all. Just air old matches for filler content instead of producing new ones.

I think #2 would be the main danger to ROH long term. That, or someone making a ridiculously big offer for the video library.

But I think their investment in ATSC 3.0 really does bode well for ROH. BOTP will be an OTA channel like Stadium, Charge, Comet, and TBD within the next five years. I believe that fully.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:43 am

Because of you talking about the crappy commercials i actually paid attention to them this weekend. 4 commercial breaks. 19 commercials. 5 Car Shield. 2 Hyundai. 2 Watch company--can't remember the name. 2 Kay Jewelers. 5 local spots. 3 vaccines. Better than i thought.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Not only are they not in a rush to get fans back into tapings, they don't actively seem concerned about getting fans into the shows they are running. They primarily are a television show, that tours occasionally. Really though, almost all wrestling has gone that way following the WWE lead. There's more stability in that, but less passion and fan engagement. They are seemingly playing a long slow and steady game, which may be fine, except AEW came and exploded on the scene and there is no longevity in being #5 in the marketplace.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

EvanKnight wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:15 am
Not only are they not in a rush to get fans back into tapings, they don't actively seem concerned about getting fans into the shows they are running. They primarily are a television show, that tours occasionally. Really though, almost all wrestling has gone that way following the WWE lead. There's more stability in that, but less passion and fan engagement. They are seemingly playing a long slow and steady game, which may be fine, except AEW came and exploded on the scene and there is no longevity in being #5 in the marketplace.
I don't think their ranking really matters to their longevity, nor do I think they've fallen to #5. AEW came and blew them out of the water but regardless of that, or regardless of whether MLW or NJPW of America pass them up, the only thing that really matters is whether or not Sinclair still thinks it's worth it.

And again, as for attendance, so far it looks like all of their markets are going to beat their last announced crowd. BITW beat Final Battle 2019 despite the social distancing, the GBH shows are going to beat the last Philly TV taping easily, and DBD will likely beat the last Lakeland show (too early to say for sure).

So I think there's plenty of longevity implied in that. They had zero crowds for 17 months and they had shaky crowds for about 8 months prior to that. Every metric available to us says they are growing over 2019, and 2019 wasn't bad enough to turn the lights out.
Montana

Post by Montana »

This is a hard one to figure out. They certainly don't seem overly concerned with their position among other wrestling companies; or generating adding income. (IE: Merchandise sales, adding content to HC, running TV tapings live, etc)

I kinda think Joe Koff just tells SBG; all is well; and no one is really paying that close of attention. I don't think ROH is doing that awful in terms of sales to cost ratio. I'd be most concerned with all the missed opportunities; and going from potentially the #2 company to #4/5 within a year or two. I doubt SBG knows/cares about that though.

Slow & Steady may not be a bad way; given the uncertainty in the world but seems like getting guys like Danielson/Punk/Joe could have really been game changing with the right tv distribution. But... maybe ROH is happy with what ROH is; and happy with crowds of 500-1000; and local TV.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Montana wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:35 am This is a hard one to figure out. They certainly don't seem overly concerned with their position among other wrestling companies; or generating adding income. (IE: Merchandise sales, adding content to HC, running TV tapings live, etc)

I kinda think Joe Koff just tells SBG; all is well; and no one is really paying that close of attention. I don't think ROH is doing that awful in terms of sales to cost ratio. I'd be most concerned with all the missed opportunities; and going from potentially the #2 company to #4/5 within a year or two. I doubt SBG knows/cares about that though.

Slow & Steady may not be a bad way; given the uncertainty in the world but seems like getting guys like Danielson/Punk/Joe could have really been game changing with the right tv distribution. But... maybe ROH is happy with what ROH is; and happy with crowds of 500-1000; and local TV.
3 guys you mentioned don't wanna go back to ROH. They wanna move forward. It's not a knock on ROH. They did everything they could do in ROH and moved on to WWE. The next logical thing to do now is go to #2 company and create brand new chapter and add to your legacy.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Shanahan wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:25 am
Montana wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:35 am This is a hard one to figure out. They certainly don't seem overly concerned with their position among other wrestling companies; or generating adding income. (IE: Merchandise sales, adding content to HC, running TV tapings live, etc)

3 guys you mentioned don't wanna go back to ROH. They wanna move forward. It's not a knock on ROH. They did everything they could do in ROH and moved on to WWE. The next logical thing to do now is go to #2 company and create brand new chapter and add to your legacy.
Your probably right... BUT i do think all 3 wouldn't mind wrestling a match for ROH as like a dream matchup. Plus; ROH got to be the #2 promotion in 2018. So it's not like ROH couldn't have fought harder to keep their position against AEW and/or Impact. It seems like ROH pays it's top draws pretty good money. Not saying they weren't making more money before with WWE; but they really just not to outspend AEW. Clearly ROH didn't want to join that race at that time. ROH did pay more for Marty supposedly. (That worked out well : (

As mentioned in other post; ROH needs to figure out it's TV distribution; and add some star power if they want to grow. Neither seem to be a priority for the company. Or maybe it's OK to be content with what it is. I like ROH for what it is. Either way; coming out and saying what the direction of the company is from a Joe Koff perspective wouldn't hurt.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Montana wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:01 am
Shanahan wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:25 am

Your probably right... BUT i do think all 3 wouldn't mind wrestling a match for ROH as like a dream matchup. Plus; ROH got to be the #2 promotion in 2018. So it's not like ROH couldn't have fought harder to keep their position against AEW and/or Impact. It seems like ROH pays it's top draws pretty good money. Not saying they weren't making more money before with WWE; but they really just not to outspend AEW. Clearly ROH didn't want to join that race at that time. ROH did pay more for Marty supposedly. (That worked out well : (

As mentioned in other post; ROH needs to figure out it's TV distribution; and add some star power if they want to grow. Neither seem to be a priority for the company. Or maybe it's OK to be content with what it is. I like ROH for what it is. Either way; coming out and saying what the direction of the company is from a Joe Koff perspective wouldn't hurt.
Let me be clear. You are 100% correct about ROH growth or lack thereof.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

famicommander wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:41 am
EvanKnight wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:15 am
famicommander wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:33 am
I don't think their ranking really matters to their longevity, nor do I think they've fallen to #5. AEW came and blew them out of the water but regardless of that, or regardless of whether MLW or NJPW of America pass them up, the only thing that really matters is whether or not Sinclair still thinks it's worth it.

And again, as for attendance, so far it looks like all of their markets are going to beat their last announced crowd. BITW beat Final Battle 2019 despite the social distancing, the GBH shows are going to beat the last Philly TV taping easily, and DBD will likely beat the last Lakeland show (too early to say for sure).

So I think there's plenty of longevity implied in that. They had zero crowds for 17 months and they had shaky crowds for about 8 months prior to that. Every metric available to us says they are growing over 2019, and 2019 wasn't bad enough to turn the lights out.
Their perception in the market will directly impact the talent that they can sign, which will impact their longevity.

They are on an upswing, but there is a saying about striking while the iron is hot. If MLW is outselling ROH in Philly, in my book they should 100% be viewing that as a problem that needs a reaction. They seem to be more in line with the thought of its better than before so everything is good.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/wwe-nxt- ... nd-report/
News broke earlier this week that former NXT Champion Adam Cole's WWE contract is weeks away from expiring, and according to Fightful Select's latest report he hasn't been offered a long-term extension yet. The outlet returned with a new report on Thursday stating another star from the Black and Yellow brand might be on his way out the door too — Pete Dunne. Sean Ross Sapp wrote that the former NXT UK and Tag Team Champion has a contract reportedly set to expire "after SummerSlam weekend. He also wrote that situation is similar to Cole's, but couldn't provide any more information.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Tucker from wwe that got released said he would like to work for roh and Anthony green said the same thing
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:05 pm Tucker from wwe that got released said he would like to work for roh and Anthony green said the same thing
I don't know much about this Tucker guy but I'd like to see ROH book Anthony Greene. He was always impressive at Beyond.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Wwe releasing talent again
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Bobby fish got released and tyler rust