Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:45 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:44 pm In two weeks it's mark vs jay briscoe in fight on the farm
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Im curious how that one turns out
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Not much of a spoiler but on this week show the company is finally acknowledging week by week is a companion to roh tv
Mavsfan41

Post by Mavsfan41 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:17 pm Not much of a spoiler but on this week show the company is finally acknowledging week by week is a companion to roh tv
They’ve acknowledged it for awhile. On the last episode I watched (last weeks with the tag title match) they were hyping Week By Week having the fourth Survival of The Fittest match. So if that’s not them acknowledging it as a companion program I don’t know what is.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Mavsfan41 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:11 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:17 pm Not much of a spoiler but on this week show the company is finally acknowledging week by week is a companion to roh tv
They’ve acknowledged it for awhile. On the last episode I watched (last weeks with the tag title match) they were hyping Week By Week having the fourth Survival of The Fittest match. So if that’s not them acknowledging it as a companion program I don’t know what is.
This is the first time roh has aired a commercial saying it's a companion during the show
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:44 pm In two weeks it's mark vs jay briscoe in fight on the farm
awesome.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Of course they have but let's not let that get in the way of BREAKING NEWS......

Also a fight on the farm is fucking stupid. No more cinematic bullshit. The last one with Taven and Vincent was low rent garbage. Putting the two most legendary guys on your roster into a feud in front of nobody is pond water stupid.
Captain Podcast
Mavsfan41

Post by Mavsfan41 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:38 pm
This is the first time roh has aired a commercial saying it's a companion during the show
If we’re already watching said show (the weekly tv episode) why is a commercial necessary? Clearly as viewers we know it’s a companion show (or any of us that are grown adults should). But hey thanks for breaking news that nobody could have figured out otherwise.
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:22 pm
Of course they have but let's not let that get in the way of BREAKING NEWS......

Also a fight on the farm is fucking stupid. No more cinematic bullshit. The last one with Taven and Vincent was low rent garbage. Putting the two most legendary guys on your roster into a feud in front of nobody is pond water stupid.
How is fighting on a farm; any different better/worse on a football field. Is that fucking stupid as well?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

At least with the ROH cinematic match they acknowledged the existence of the cameraman and didn't film it in hundreds of takes over four days completely out of sequence.

I don't want cinematic matches in general but they're easier to swallow if they're not completely idiotic like the WWE and AEW attempts.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:24 pm

How is fighting on a farm; any different better/worse on a football field. Is that fucking stupid as well?

This is gonna be one of those ah he's an ROH hater blah blah but we've reached the point where all cinematic matches have jumped the shark. With Stadium Stampede II, you had a completely different element than any other of these pre-taped matches, it finished in front of the crowd with a payoff welcoming fans back.

When you're filming a movie you don't acknowledge the camera. That's the whole point, nobody is pretending it's real, it's presented as theater. Doing a fight on a farm with your best tag team of all time, who as a company you have taken for granted the last few years is absurd. I don't mind the Stadium Stampede idea, once a year, but ROH doing two of these cinematic matches in one year with two stories that mean nothing and characters better served for other purposes speaks to creative.

For the record, Stadium Stampede, the original was different and had some ridiculous comedy that is not for me. I have absolutely no interest in ever seeing a match with no fans when fans are able to be there again. Next year, Stadium Stampede III, you get a whole new element of fans being in the middle of all that chaos. Giving the 3rd version of the same match. Empty wrestling venues, farms, swamps, dentist offices, it's enough already.
Captain Podcast
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I’m largely open-minded on ‘cinematic’ matches. I’ve found them hit or miss throughout the pandemic TBH. I completely appreciate wrestlers trying something different. Some have worked (I liked both Stadium Stampedes), but I’ve found some extremely confusing (Vincent/Taven, most of the pre-COVID Broken/Woken-era Matt Hardy) and some completely horrible (Money In The Bank).

The Briscoes are totally ‘weird’ and ‘out there’ enough as characters to make it work, and I’m not convinced they’d ever top 5th Year Finale as a straightforward singles match between them anyway. But I hope they have a REALLY good concept along with the financial and logistical means to pull it off. The ‘cinematic match’ concept is already exceptionally played out. If it isn’t good and if it isn’t original people will call rightly BS on it…

MORE annoying to me is this rumour that Foundation/VLNCE UNLTD will be a Fight Without Honor. I get it, but why the hell is that stipulation going to an early stages match in that feud, when it should be going on a pay-off to Taven/Bennett vs Righteous so all of those characters get a chance to do a proper blood and guts spot-fest in front of a live crowd before finally going their separate ways. Taven/Vinny have been feuding for 2+ years. They need the FWH stip to end their feud so much more…
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:26 pm

This is gonna be one of those ah he's an ROH hater blah blah but we've reached the point where all cinematic matches have jumped the shark. With Stadium Stampede II, you had a completely different element than any other of these pre-taped matches, it finished in front of the crowd with a payoff welcoming fans back.

When you're filming a movie you don't acknowledge the camera. That's the whole point, nobody is pretending it's real, it's presented as theater. Doing a fight on a farm with your best tag team of all time, who as a company you have taken for granted the last few years is absurd. I don't mind the Stadium Stampede idea, once a year, but ROH doing two of these cinematic matches in one year with two stories that mean nothing and characters better served for other purposes speaks to creative.

For the record, Stadium Stampede, the original was different and had some ridiculous comedy that is not for me. I have absolutely no interest in ever seeing a match with no fans when fans are able to be there again. Next year, Stadium Stampede III, you get a whole new element of fans being in the middle of all that chaos. Giving the 3rd version of the same match. Empty wrestling venues, farms, swamps, dentist offices, it's enough already.
Well, i mean your calling one company fucking stupid for ROH doing a Briscoes match on a farm; where they at least have some natural history. (Kind of like the Hardy compound) ... but yet rationalizing how Stadium Stampede (football stadium) has a "different element' that you don't mind. You could argue the Briscoes have 20 years of history... where as Pinnacle and Inner Circle have what...4-6 weeks?? This is exactly why folks like Dave Meltzer get called out; it's a bit of bias... and bias is a natural thing...everyone does it to a certain extent. To be fair; you had a positive review of the last ROH TV show you watched.

I'm just saying your cutting AEW A LOT of slack, (AEW does try hard to put on a good product... with building characters/storylines) but with ROH; out the gate, it's fucking stupid. To be fair, the Taven/Vincent match didn't leave me wanting more ROH Cinematic matches; but i'll give it another chance. The Taven/Vincent match was awfully booked in my opinion and as McXal said, they need to end that feud quick; cause it's quite stale by now. Thought the last Taven/Vincent SHOULD have been the climax... not add another character and draw it out another 3-6 months. I guess the problem with Vincent's faction, is what do you do with them after.

Personally i like climatic matches; prefer the better one's certainly. I don't want to see them over done; but when theres been millions of hours of wrestling done in a ring; changing things up a bit... helps the variety in my opinion. Don't think it should be soley a pandemic thing... but not over done either. With Jay vs. Mark; since it's not your typical feud / climax; i assume the ending would lead to follow on storylines.
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

I don't tune into wrestling to watch cinematic matches. If I want cinematic I'll catch a movie.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:01 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:26 pm

Well, i mean your calling one company fucking stupid for ROH doing a Briscoes match on a farm; where they at least have some natural history. (Kind of like the Hardy compound) ... but yet rationalizing how Stadium Stampede (football stadium) has a "different element' that you don't mind. You could argue the Briscoes have 20 years of history... where as Pinnacle and Inner Circle have what...4-6 weeks?? This is exactly why folks like Dave Meltzer get called out; it's a bit of bias... and bias is a natural thing...everyone does it to a certain extent. To be fair; you had a positive review of the last ROH TV show you watched.

I'm just saying your cutting AEW A LOT of slack, (AEW does try hard to put on a good product... with building characters/storylines) but with ROH; out the gate, it's fucking stupid. To be fair, the Taven/Vincent match didn't leave me wanting more ROH Cinematic matches; but i'll give it another chance. The Taven/Vincent match was awfully booked in my opinion and as McXal said, they need to end that feud quick; cause it's quite stale by now. Thought the last Taven/Vincent SHOULD have been the climax... not add another character and draw it out another 3-6 months. I guess the problem with Vincent's faction, is what do you do with them after.

Personally i like climatic matches; prefer the better one's certainly. I don't want to see them over done; but when theres been millions of hours of wrestling done in a ring; changing things up a bit... helps the variety in my opinion. Don't think it should be soley a pandemic thing... but not over done either. With Jay vs. Mark; since it's not your typical feud / climax; i assume the ending would lead to follow on storylines.
I'm over the entire thing, no more matches that have this element. Farms, compounds, swamps, I'd have loved if the Boneyard was the last one of these. There's been nothing better than that one and I absolutely cannot stand Undertaker. I'm tired of gimmicks and gimmick matches in general. For christ sake HIAC had a crash pad on a simple table bump last night. I'm tired of stagnant stories and stories that do nothing. This type of match reminds me of the pandemic and I want wrestling to be an escape. Want to have the Briscoes face off, as rivals, fine. I don't like that idea but whatever, do it where paying customers are. Not on the farm. Don't give it away on tv or youtube or whatever either. Make people pay for it, a concept ROH has truly lost out on this past year.

As for Stadium Stampede, it's been done twice both times were completely different in the same general setting. The first had comedy and the second had a legit issue of hate that climaxed in front of a sold out paying audience. This Briscoes thing was taped months ago, why is it just now seeing the light of day as fans are getting ready to be welcomed back? It's 2021, the Briscoes are bonified legends in this company, why not mix them into the faction warfare(remember how well that worked out the first time it was done?). They don't need help, they're the Briscoes the OG's of ROH, now they're bit players fighting on their farm. I don't see how this match does anything for anyone. I'm going to watch it, I hope it's a match of the year, but knowing how the Taven/Vincent debacle played out, I have zero faith this moves things forward.
Captain Podcast
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Not all non-standard matches are “cinematic”. The Broken Hardy stuff was cinematic. COVID has probably forever killed the “empty arena” match, but that’s what this feels more like to me. Two brothers settling their beef in their backyard instead of the arena. Plus, I would wager this is just a set up for the PPV, so I really don’t get all the backlash.

They shouldn’t be inserted in the 3-way LFI/Foundation/VU feud, that’s already crowded and needs space to flush out those individuals. Briscoes would overshadow all other teams in the tag division at the moment, so why not let them bounce off each other and build to something for the PPV?
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

A six hour show of anything is hard to sit through, and a tv show marathon taping is far from the quality of a PPV. It is no where near as “easy as built it and they will come.”

The commercial on this weeks TV show built up week-by-week like it was the second show like Raw/Smackdown or Nitro/Thunder which is a far cry from the limited promotion it has received so far. The show is clearly evolve and the SOTF matches along with the video package on TV is clearly different than it was presented a couple months back.
AnHonorableMention

EvanKnight wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:45 pm Not all non-standard matches are “cinematic”. The Broken Hardy stuff was cinematic. COVID has probably forever killed the “empty arena” match, but that’s what this feels more like to me. Two brothers settling their beef in their backyard instead of the arena. Plus, I would wager this is just a set up for the PPV, so I really don’t get all the backlash.

They shouldn’t be inserted in the 3-way LFI/Foundation/VU feud, that’s already crowded and needs space to flush out those individuals. Briscoes would overshadow all other teams in the tag division at the moment, so why not let them bounce off each other and build to something for the PPV?
Where do you go from this gimmick match though? So these guys have a competitive story, they "break up" but the pay off is they get back together? I'm just struggling to see the vision. The only thing I'm seeing is, we've put the belts on them 11 times, we've feuded with them less than 11 times, so let's um do that. This is your lone and last legacy act you have that isn't coming back in after leaving elsewhere they should be booked better than some half thought out farm fight.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

EvanKnight wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:59 pm A six hour show of anything is hard to sit through, and a tv show marathon taping is far from the quality of a PPV. It is no where near as “easy as built it and they will come.”
I will argue this all day, deliver the goods, the crowd will be there for it. I've been to shows that were filled with people no longer here than went 4 hours and had molten lava hot crowds. It's not 100% of the time, but will always be fans who don't tire out, and fans who will love everything they see because they're that big of fans.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think the payoff to this Briscoes feud is Mark finally getting a singles title run of some kind. That has to be where they're going.

Because they're brothers it will always be believable when they get back together. Everyone with a sibling understands that.

Also, the main issue with a TV taping isn't the length but the format. Instead of one coherent show building to a main event you have several short shows each with their own main event and then a reset period in between each one.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do good television in this format and I'm not making excuses for when they fail at it. Just saying that even in the best of circumstances, marathon television tapings are less than ideal.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

I was thinking that we don't see PCO in the ring very often recently. So i checked it:
In 2021 he had 3 matches: 4 vs 4 tag team match, a singles match against Brian Johnson and 12 Man Rankings Battle Royal.

I'm no saying that I miss him in action. Just looking how uncomfortable it is for some wrestlers in ROH right now. I hope that Best in the World with a crowd is a first step of going back to some live events, which will be good for building some storylines.