Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
indyfan

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by indyfan »

I can get that idea about being spoiler free but lots of people have stated theres simply no atmosphere to ROH. others say they cant watch a wrestling program without fans.

They can fix everything by going live every week from Baltimore. ROH should only tour for bigger shows.

the tv is a mess airing on sinclair. i say airing it on tv should come after the show is streamed on their website
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Shanahan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:52 pm
kovs27 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:32 pm
Shanahan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:19 pm

I kinda like no fans TV. I wouldn't have a problem with them continuing this for awhile.
I feel that way as well. I find it easier to focus on the action in the ring.
If you watch MLW you can listen as crowd goes from hot on first episode to mild by end of ep 4 or 5 even tho the later episodes are usually where the big payoff is.
I've been to long MLW and ROH tapings and have seen it happen. It's hard to keep fans hot for 3-5 hours in a row.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

kovs27 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:55 pm
kovs27 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:32 pm

I feel that way as well. I find it easier to focus on the action in the ring.
If you watch MLW you can listen as crowd goes from hot on first episode to mild by end of ep 4 or 5 even tho the later episodes are usually where the big payoff is.
I've been to long MLW and ROH tapings and have seen it happen. It's hard to keep fans hot for 3-5 hours in a row.
Produce a compelling product, it's pretty easy to keep fans loud and wild. See 2002-2008.
Captain Podcast
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

indyfan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:27 pm the tv is a mess airing on sinclair. i say airing it on tv should come after the show is streamed on their website
Yes it is, but if you’re an advertiser, why would you want to buy ads on Sinclair TV? I used to ask this to Fammico when he would tell me how great MLW on BeIn Sports was. You could watch Fusion on YouTube for free on Wednesday, but they showed Fusion on BeIn on Saturdays. Why would BeIn pay them rights fees and why would an advertiser buy ads for something seen for free days before?

This would be the same issue here. ROH only shows Car and Home warranty commercials anyway, who is going to purchase ads for viewing on ROHwrestling.com?
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:36 pm
indyfan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:27 pm the tv is a mess airing on sinclair. i say airing it on tv should come after the show is streamed on their website
Yes it is, but if you’re an advertiser, why would you want to buy ads on Sinclair TV? I used to ask this to Fammico when he would tell me how great MLW on BeIn Sports was. You could watch Fusion on YouTube for free on Wednesday, but they showed Fusion on BeIn on Saturdays. Why would BeIn pay them rights fees and why would an advertiser buy ads for something seen for free days before?

This would be the same issue here. ROH only shows Car and Home warranty commercials anyway, who is going to purchase ads for viewing on ROHwrestling.com?
Yeah I get all that.

it just sucks. this is why i preferred ROH in 2002- 2009. It was just easier to follow. You just bought the dvds and that was it.

I think going forward with no fans is a mistake
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

As I thought they might, they have a good thing going now generally with TV and if talent, management feel they can deliver a better TV product overall then I’m all for it. Having fans hasn’t made that much of a difference for me considering how fans at TV events especially can be.

It also might be more cost affective for them to continue the deal they currently have with the hotel and event centre in Baltimore. Unless they decide to tape TV elsewhere but that too me seems unlikely too.

Will be getting fans back in other events which is enough for me as of now. It’s going to be interesting to see the dynamic between the two, especially from a match level. I think it also makes those events where fans are there a little bit more special too.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Maybe they could do what Lucha Underground used to do. They didn't charge for tickets, but in exchange they made people sign NDAs against spoilers. Maybe pack a few hundred people into their studio for TV tapings and do that. You can't really make people do that if you charge for tickets but you could probably get away with it if you let them in for free. Then they could have some fans in there, and the kinds of people that would show up to something like that are the hardcores who won't get bored in a long taping. And they could still sell merch.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:12 am It also might be more cost affective for them to continue the deal they currently have with the hotel and event centre in Baltimore. Unless they decide to tape TV elsewhere but that too me seems unlikely too.
If you continue to run with no fans, you’re running at a loss every time.

If you continue to run the same building every time and charge, you will burn out the fans.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:01 am
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:12 am It also might be more cost affective for them to continue the deal they currently have with the hotel and event centre in Baltimore. Unless they decide to tape TV elsewhere but that too me seems unlikely too.
If you continue to run with no fans, you’re running at a loss every time.

If you continue to run the same building every time and charge, you will burn out the fans.
We don't know that they're running at a loss without fans. We have no idea how much they make per taping but if we assume they get four episodes of television for each one, that's 64 minutes of commercial time to sell across the hundreds of outlets showing ROH. Even if they're only making 3 bucks per 30 second ad spot that still adds up pretty quickly over hundreds of outlets, and unlike normal ad split deals they're splitting the revenue with their own parent company rather than an unrelated network. 3 bucks x 64 minutes x 2 spots per minute x 300 channels showing ROH TV (I have no idea if 300 is the correct number; Sinclair owns hundreds more channels than that but not all of them air ROH and some are overlapped in the same market) = $115,200 per taping, $57,600 each to ROH and Sinclair/local affiliates. And then whatever minor ancillary revenues they generate from tapings (ad revenue from traffic to the website/Youtube/social media, whatever few subscriptions are gained, etc).

Not the foggiest idea what the costs are to run an empty venue taping, though. Presumably they won't have to do the COVID bubble anymore with or without fans at least.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:57 am
It's not being overly critical, it's simple, if you can't manage your roster and the talent at the top and bottom, you don't belong in management or as a booker. There's so many things I've been directly told over the last few years dating back to the mid 2010's about how mismanaged the talent is, and how much double talk comes from the big 3 of Hunter, Joe, & Greg. Yeah the Bubba/Joey group tried to take control, that failed, the AEW talent/staff left, it's not all doom and gloom but when you have your nose continually being cut off to spite your face by who is left in management it's very obvious where the problem always was.
Was that one of the reasons of change in the head booker position in the beginning of 2020? I'm asking because I wonder if therefore they're planning to do something (Gresham in a position where Scurll was? Scurll again?) or now it's just: "OK, let's still continue with what we have".
Montana

Post by Montana »

This is back to the same issue ROH has had most of it's lifespan.

ROH needs to figure out how they want things to look in the long run. What's the focus/priority ... TV or HonorClub/Live Events/PPVs (Originally DVDs). Which revenue stream makes more money. If they don't plan on a live TV show in the future; and live events are streamed on HonorClub; they'll need to figure out how TV will run with the Live events. Honorclub won't draw in new fans; which is why you need TV to make HonorClub successful.

The other problem is that the ROH product is not unique, and every company is having matches close to the caliber to ROH. So asking ROH fans to pay 9.99 a month, to follow is not an easy sell anymore.
AnHonorableMention

KL_ wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:17 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:57 am
It's not being overly critical, it's simple, if you can't manage your roster and the talent at the top and bottom, you don't belong in management or as a booker. There's so many things I've been directly told over the last few years dating back to the mid 2010's about how mismanaged the talent is, and how much double talk comes from the big 3 of Hunter, Joe, & Greg. Yeah the Bubba/Joey group tried to take control, that failed, the AEW talent/staff left, it's not all doom and gloom but when you have your nose continually being cut off to spite your face by who is left in management it's very obvious where the problem always was.
Was that one of the reasons of change in the head booker position in the beginning of 2020? I'm asking because I wonder if therefore they're planning to do something (Gresham in a position where Scurll was? Scurll again?) or now it's just: "OK, let's still continue with what we have".
I don't know for sure if the Marty choice was to keep him, and realizing how bad they'd look losing him too or if he actually had ideas. I've been told by several people on the roster now they were negative on his ideas. Hunter is a cop out, and Joe Koff views him as a son. He gets a lot of slack, and he's done some very good things at times, and also some mind boggling things as well.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

There were plenty of times I'd have liked to have seen Delirious get fired/demoted but right now is not one of those times. The turnaround since September has been incredible.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:35 pm

Produce a compelling product, it's pretty easy to keep fans loud and wild. See 2002-2008.
A 3-4 hour show is way different than a 5 hour TV Taping. That's why AEW wont be taping 2 hour elevation,2 hour dark and 2 hour dynamite with a live crowd.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:10 pm

A 3-4 hour show is way different than a 5 hour TV Taping. That's why AEW wont be taping 2 hour elevation,2 hour dark and 2 hour dynamite with a live crowd.
Again, produce a compelling product fans will be fine. Not rocket science. To quote the movie "if you build it, they will come"
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:40 pm

Again, produce a compelling product fans will be fine. Not rocket science. To quote the movie "if you build it, they will come"
No company can produce 4+ hour tv taping where people are as hot in last 30 mins as they were in first 30 mins. So you can continue to say produce something compelling but that doesn't matter because you can only cheer and yell for so long.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:30 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:40 pm

No company can produce 4+ hour tv taping where people are as hot in last 30 mins as they were in first 30 mins. So you can continue to say produce something compelling but that doesn't matter because you can only cheer and yell for so long.
It's the chicken or the egg theory. Will the crowd be into what they see or is what they are seeing so good they get into it. Bottom line, Hunter has to be better, but I've been beating that drum since 2013 so I'm out of faith he will.
Captain Podcast
brickfreek

Post by brickfreek »

Thanks for yours all answer. That is really cool solution.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

In two weeks it's mark vs jay briscoe in fight on the farm
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:44 pm In two weeks it's mark vs jay briscoe in fight on the farm
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz