Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by famicommander »

Montana wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:23 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:42 pm Lavie on twitter posted a interview with joe saying roh goal is to get on basically every channel so they can get a single night slot and the theory is it would air at like Sinclair has with its morning news where the morning show airs how all the available affiliate networks https://mobile.twitter.com/Laviemarg/st ... 0461842436
This doesn't sound realistic at all. None of the channel/airings are currently the same. There would be so many things to work around.

I still think the best thing is for ROH to put on a true "A" show on a national channel. (also not realistic) Then keep a B show for the Sinclair channels.
OR just throw the first airing on HonorClub OR Best in the World and release the results right after. OR get a deal with like Hulu / HBO Max or Paramount or something.
He's not trying to get a universal timeslot, just one night across all platforms. I think that's a pretty attainable goal.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

famicommander wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:37 pm
Montana wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:23 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:42 pm Lavie on twitter posted a interview with joe saying roh goal is to get on basically every channel so they can get a single night slot and the theory is it would air at like Sinclair has with its morning news where the morning show airs how all the available affiliate networks https://mobile.twitter.com/Laviemarg/st ... 0461842436
This doesn't sound realistic at all. None of the channel/airings are currently the same. There would be so many things to work around.

I still think the best thing is for ROH to put on a true "A" show on a national channel. (also not realistic) Then keep a B show for the Sinclair channels.
OR just throw the first airing on HonorClub OR Best in the World and release the results right after. OR get a deal with like Hulu / HBO Max or Paramount or something.
He's not trying to get a universal timeslot, just one night across all platforms. I think that's a pretty attainable goal.
Kinda like roh is on Friday nights on the former fox regional networks just different times and didn't roh say their show would air on the marquee network when it was launched https://www.pwinsider.com/article/13102 ... -well.html
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

It’s unfortunate that Koff sees that as the only option but they have to try and make the most of what they have which they haven’t even being doing up until now.

From what I’ve seen of Stadium they generally feel like they understand sports and it’s role and still don’t really know why there hasn’t been more of a collaboration with them. You look at Anthem, you look at TNT and how they obviously value the content their wrestling companies provide. ROH just feels like it battling even the people that own them to get a shot.

Can someone explain to me how or why ROH, actually scrap that, why can’t Sinclair create a national feed that everyone watch’s at the same time. why does it have to be so split up and awkward. Surely they own the stations, they can put whatever they want on their, why can’t they just act like a normal broadcaster and go ok we are having ROH on at 9:00 on Mondays across all our stations affiliates.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:09 pm It’s unfortunate that Koff sees that as the only option but they have to try and make the most of what they have which they haven’t even being doing up until now.

From what I’ve seen of Stadium they generally feel like they understand sports and it’s role and still don’t really know why there hasn’t been more of a collaboration with them. You look at Anthem, you look at TNT and how they obviously value the content their wrestling companies provide. ROH just feels like it battling even the people that own them to get a shot.

Can someone explain to me how or why ROH, actually scrap that, why can’t Sinclair create a national feed that everyone watch’s at the same time. why does it have to be so split up and awkward. Surely they own the stations, they can put whatever they want on their, why can’t they just act like a normal broadcaster and go ok we are having ROH on at 9:00 on Mondays across all our stations affiliates.
Stadium airs ROH several hours per day. During the heart of the pandemic it was 6+ hours of ROH every single day.

At least on broadcast networks (Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, CW) the networks have the exclusive rights to prime time programming. That's why shows on those networks have a national timeslot. Sinclair owns the station but the network itself programs those hours in exchange for affiliation with the individual stations. Sinclair gets to program the other 17-22 hours depending on how many hours the network claims. Usually each station is managed separately. This is where you get syndicated repeats of old shows, local news, local sports, ROH, paid programming, etc. Mondays at 9:00 is a primetime slot. The CW affiliates owned by Sinclair can't just decide to air ROH instead of Black Lightning.

Local news is big everywhere, no matter what so the stations that have local news broadcasts ain't budging those timeslots.

Live sports are the most valuable properties in all of entertainment. Under no circumstances is a wrestling program going to bump an NBA, MLB, or NHL game. Not even MLS or WNBA.

Syndicated repeats draw pretty good viewership but they're expensive to license.

Paid programming is all profit but if you have too much of it nobody will watch your channel at all.

ROH is used to "plug the holes" in the individual lineups of the various channels Sinclair owns. It's cheap, it covers 52 timeslots per year, it seems to draw relatively well, and instead of costing the parent company a licensing fee it produces a growing library of intellectual property and brings in ticket sales, subscriptions, PPV sales, and merch sales (in a normal year).

It's different for Impact because their parent company only owns a few platforms. AXS, Fight Network, Game, Pursuit, that's about it. A few unified, singular national or international cable channels. And really, what the hell else can they air? I know they just bought an MMA promotion, and good for them, but otherwise AXS is mostly just old concert footage. They don't have major sports, they don't have live news, they don't have repeats of old TV shows. Sinclair is made up of literally hundreds of stations operating independently with their own needs and programming strengths and weaknesses, not to mention the strengths and weaknesses of ROH itself in various markets. It'd be a lot of legwork to figure it out for sure but I would bet that the stations where ROH has the best timeslots are in their traditional core markets for the most part. ROH is a different sized piece of the puzzle for every single individual channel Sinclair owns (over 400 channels across over 180 physical stations plus 20+ cable sportsnets and the national digitals like Stadium). ROH is probably, paradoxically, a much bigger deal to Sinclair itself than to any of the networks airing it.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

famicommander wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:32 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:09 pm It’s unfortunate that Koff sees that as the only option but they have to try and make the most of what they have which they haven’t even being doing up until now.

Stadium airs ROH several hours per day. During the heart of the pandemic it was 6+ hours of ROH every single day.

At least on broadcast networks (Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, CW) the networks have the exclusive rights to prime time programming. That's why shows on those networks have a national timeslot. Sinclair owns the station but the network itself programs those hours in exchange for affiliation with the individual stations. Sinclair gets to program the other 17-22 hours depending on how many hours the network claims. Usually each station is managed separately. This is where you get syndicated repeats of old shows, local news, local sports, ROH, paid programming, etc. Mondays at 9:00 is a primetime slot. The CW affiliates owned by Sinclair can't just decide to air ROH instead of Black Lightning.

Local news is big everywhere, no matter what so the stations that have local news broadcasts ain't budging those timeslots.

Live sports are the most valuable properties in all of entertainment. Under no circumstances is a wrestling program going to bump an NBA, MLB, or NHL game. Not even MLS or WNBA.

Syndicated repeats draw pretty good viewership but they're expensive to license.

Paid programming is all profit but if you have too much of it nobody will watch your channel at all.

ROH is used to "plug the holes" in the individual lineups of the various channels Sinclair owns. It's cheap, it covers 52 timeslots per year, it seems to draw relatively well, and instead of costing the parent company a licensing fee it produces a growing library of intellectual property and brings in ticket sales, subscriptions, PPV sales, and merch sales (in a normal year).

It's different for Impact because their parent company only owns a few platforms. AXS, Fight Network, Game, Pursuit, that's about it. A few unified, singular national or international cable channels. And really, what the hell else can they air? I know they just bought an MMA promotion, and good for them, but otherwise AXS is mostly just old concert footage. They don't have major sports, they don't have live news, they don't have repeats of old TV shows. Sinclair is made up of literally hundreds of stations operating independently with their own needs and programming strengths and weaknesses, not to mention the strengths and weaknesses of ROH itself in various markets. It'd be a lot of legwork to figure it out for sure but I would bet that the stations where ROH has the best timeslots are in their traditional core markets for the most part. ROH is a different sized piece of the puzzle for every single individual channel Sinclair owns (over 400 channels across over 180 physical stations plus 20+ cable sportsnets and the national digitals like Stadium). ROH is probably, paradoxically, a much bigger deal to Sinclair itself than to any of the networks airing it.
With Stadium I just mean ROH actually promoting taking advantage of it, creating special interviews, specials etc, again ROH's social is generally just so bad I don't know where to begin. For example when you Danhausen appearing on a Conan O'Bryan podcast and yet use Sledge as a go to guy to try and sell watching ROH. It's so fucking backward I want to scream sometimes, this is one of ROH biggest flaws, actually realising what is over with the fan base rather trying to push shit and people that just don't work or should be anywhere near the product. How are you going to get people to watch when you've got some random guy that no one gives a flying shit about telling you to watch something, just doesn't work at all. Then you've got Stadium dedicating a lot of programming to the product and they do shit with it and from I've seen of Stadium they actually give a professional edge that others don't.

Regardless of the difficulties they have to try and figure out a strategy that gives them at least the widest of areas to have the closest dates and times, you can't have a program that is shown from Wednesday's to Saturday's at times of 9:00pm - 2:00am, at least try and make one showing in the evening and then another in the morning depending on location etc. I would love to hear ROH has a 9:00pm slot on say Friday's across as many channels as possible, then on those say more awkward ones have a 10:00am slot. That surely isn't going to chew up a huge amount of time for broadcasters and has a wide range of ages to access. They have to at least try and get the new episodes out in two day's total before 1:00am, then do a recap on Monday's for International viewers
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

According to roh website a big announcement for the women division will be on week by week
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:46 am According to roh website a big announcement for the women division will be on week by week
Hopefully the start date and some talent for the women's title tournament.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Im curious would you rather have gresham or maria in charge of creative since both seem to be in creative already
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:49 pm Im curious would you rather have gresham or maria in charge of creative since both seem to be in creative already
Both are pretty much rookies when it comes to booking. Alittle here and there but no long track record to look at positive or negatives but if i had to choose i'd take Gresham.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:25 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:49 pm Im curious would you rather have gresham or maria in charge of creative since both seem to be in creative already
Both are pretty much rookies when it comes to booking. Alittle here and there but no long track record to look at positive or negatives but if i had to choose i'd take Gresham.
Yeah, i mean literally anyone can book and put matches/storylines together. We really haven't seen any of either of their booking. Is Gresham booking the pure division? Booking yourself as champ isn't a good look; BUT it's completely the right move now. I kinda think Maria role is more pitching ideas; from the FB group; AND giving a women's perspective on overall plans. Individually they may be OK; and together even better. I think the key is creativity and consistency. Following up on PPV's; building and marketing to the next big show. It's not rocket science putting together great matches.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Any Best in the World... early speculation? I assume we are getting TV to lead into the next PPV soon. I assume BOTW will be coming in June; followed by the women's title tournament in July/August.

Random Guesses:

Rush vs Brody King

Woods vs. Silas Young

TV Title
Tracey Williams vs. Dragon Lee

Rhett/Williams vs. SOS

Gresham vs. Fred Yehi.

QUinn vs. Angelina Love

Bandio vs. Flamita

OGK vs. Righteous specaility match

Winner gets next title shot:
Flip Gordon vs. Jay Lethal vs. EC3 vs Shane Taylor

What are you thinking??
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Women division Wednesdays with all new matches to show viewers possible women that will in the tournament
Montana

Post by Montana »

Montana wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:25 am

If i was ROH king for a day... I'd put all the First round match with video packages on Youtube; and then second/third rounds on ROH TV. Suck the fans into Youtube; then push them to TV & Honorclub. (As silly as that sounds, it's actually a pretty good marketing strategy)
Looks like Women's Division Wednesday is quite similar to this concept. Although it looks like they will introduce them on Youtube, then the tournament will be on TV.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Bruiser and ken dixon? Plus let's not forget that Shane Taylor promo
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I just happened to check my honorclub membership few minutes ago and i was surprised to see status as "cancelled" even tho i never canceled it. Was set to expire feb 2021 but we had the 3 month add to may 2021. Anybody else get this? Ive had it recurring since day 1, wondering if i missed some announcement about having to renew it again.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Shanahan wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:12 am I just happened to check my honorclub membership few minutes ago and i was surprised to see status as "cancelled" even tho i never canceled it. Was set to expire feb 2021 but we had the 3 month add to may 2021. Anybody else get this? Ive had it recurring since day 1, wondering if i missed some announcement about having to renew it again.
Mine says that too, but I did cancel it last year, just to be sure I wasn’t charged again. I don’t think they’re offering a yearly membership anymore, so that could be the reason. Honestly, better for you now since you don’t have to pay for months with no events.
Montana

Post by Montana »

When i was signing up for VIP for a year in March 2020; they set it up as non-recurring. Guess some folks were auto-renewed and complained about it auto renewing to ROH Help.

I wonder if ROH is planning to move away from live events, and focus on TV.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Shame that women’s wrestling will largely be on YouTube, my personal hope was a stronger declaration of change to women’s wrestling. I hope it’s a start to something much greater and more important for women’s wrestling in ROH. Else it will just be everything it was before.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

BurningHammer wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:20 pm Shame that women’s wrestling will largely be on YouTube, my personal hope was a stronger declaration of change to women’s wrestling. I hope it’s a start to something much greater and more important for women’s wrestling in ROH. Else it will just be everything it was before.
It sounds like this will more be more try out matches for the tournament
Montana

Post by Montana »