Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Well maybe if maria comes in should can help recruit and book women with gresham because maria said that she wants to be more on the creative side
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I’ve never really understood the idea of pelting other wrestling promotions when all of them have very good, good, bad and very bad. There’s enough wrestling out there to feed anyone’s tastes you can like what you like without having to feel an idiot about it.

All I can say is that ROH is starting to generally deliver what I like or want in wrestling, am I frustrated by certain aspects of the company yes for sure, especially when it can easily be better but I’m hoping that change is coming.

I think ROH could easily move too a 2 hour program with the amount of packages and promos they produce now, while it would give them a greater option for match lengths. That’s even before taking into account adding a serious woman’s division to the company there is only so much time an hour gives everyone, also creates a role for filler talent like Bouncers that people can tune out of while not sapping up a lot of time overall.

Also Kudos to ROH for being able to keep things quiet on people coming into the promotion.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I hope maria can help recruit and book the women in roh
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Maybe but considering who’s still involved with the women’s side of things and the head booker overall it would be very dicey for all sides. Plus she seems more than happy with life outside of wrestling.

Regardless an outside, outspoken, politically aware strong voice is very much needed in the company on that side of things so great if it happens. I don’t know how good Maria would be at recruiting anyone but it’s always worth a shot.
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

Montana wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:47 am Yep...2014.... Long time in between cage matches. I wonder why ROH hasn't done a cage match in 6 years. Perhaps we get one with the Taven and Vincent feud ...although could end up being a tag match.
Thanks everyone for watching this week! I'm really glad both returns remained surprises to fans.

Cage matches have generally not been done in ROH from what I'm told because the cage takes a bit of time to put up. WWE has the benefit of having 20+ crew members to put one up in a commercial break and video package. We would have to kick off an event with one, essentially.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

gresham is in charge of the womens division, we need to wait again...the tournament was about to start but you know..covid.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Matt taven got a new talking segment called trending with taven
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Joe vs Kobashi on Week by Week was an awesome surprise.
Montana

Post by Montana »

IanRiccaboni wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:15 am
Montana wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:47 am Yep...2014.... Long time in between cage matches. I wonder why ROH hasn't done a cage match in 6 years. Perhaps we get one with the Taven and Vincent feud ...although could end up being a tag match.
Thanks everyone for watching this week! I'm really glad both returns remained surprises to fans.

Cage matches have generally not been done in ROH from what I'm told because the cage takes a bit of time to put up. WWE has the benefit of having 20+ crew members to put one up in a commercial break and video package. We would have to kick off an event with one, essentially.
Thanks Ian. I think it's nice that the TV audience gets the same surprises as the "honorclub" live event fans are used to seeing.

As for the cage; makes complete sense. I've went back and rewatched a lot of classic ROH during COVID; and seemed like there had several "Scramble Cage matches" and just got me thinking; lately ROH has been more ladder match heavy. Probably easier; and potentially a better match. Right now; with TV tapings; cage matches probably could be done easier...as you don't have to worry about the live crowd. But i also think it can be a good marketing tool to promote a live event/ppv; and highlight a feud with the climax being in a cage. Plus you want the right build to set up the match. Potentially help elevate the wrestlers too.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The cage set up time is why TNA Lockdown was invented.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

If there ever was a time to create a real TV audience number, it would be having a run of episodes building too and having such a match on TV. It seems even more possible now ROH is taping the way it is.

On a real positive note I would say right now ROH has the most natural orientated promos of any wrestling company right now. With so many companies delivering stuff that feels false, naive, scripted, funny or without trying to be, corny/cringeworthy, it’s such a breath of fresh air.

The packages are also generally excellent bar the multiple camera cuts which are just too much and don’t actually fit into the blinking methodology and pacing it’s trying to create.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I'm re-watching the 10th anniversary show this week, Red and Perkins versus Strong and Elgin was a really great undercard tag.

Between this and Jimmy Rave retiring, it has me thinking about how and why ROH brings guys back (or don't more often). I was excited for the Past versus Present show due to the individual returns, but doing them all at once made it too much of a gimmick for me. And while Maff coming back for a weekend was fun, they probably didn't need to sign him.

On the other hand, I wish we had seen more Jimmy Rave over the years, and I like it when guys like Shelley or Sydal pop in for a couple shows. Or Homicide or Kendrick or London in years past.

All of which is to say that I like ROH acknowledging its history, but nostalgia is better in small doses.

I haven't seen if the Walters thing is a one off or if he signed a contract, but I think it would be better for both sides if he does limited dates but make each one feel important. I think doing this with a rotating cast of guys (Shelley, Maff, maybe Homicide?) would be an easy way to make cards feel different and not expose the older guys that you'd be getting diminishing returns on.

Loosely related side note, I can't believe Eddie Edwards has spent 7 years straight in Impact, has anyone been there longer than him at this point?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

maxx_powerz wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:07 pm Loosely related side note, I can't believe Eddie Edwards has spent 7 years straight in Impact, has anyone been there longer than him at this point?
He has the longest continuous run there as far as I can tell.

There are some people there with more cumulative time, though:
Madison Rayne (has appeared in Impact in every year from 2009-present but briefly signed with ROH exclusively for six months)
Eric Young (2004-2016, 2020-present)
Alex Shelley (2004-2012, 2020-present)
Chris Sabin (2003-2014, 2019-present)
Shawn Hernandez (2003-2004, 2006-2014, 2015, 2018, 2020-present)
Rhino (2005-2010, 2014, 2019-present)
Tommy Dreamer (2010-2011, 2013-2015, 2018-present)

Madison Rayne had that six month break but she's basically been there since 2009.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Billy "I once saw someone shape shift into a reptile" Corgan's new Youtube show is recycled UWN matches. But hey, you can sign up for his Patreon to get access to old matches one day early!

Also his director of operations is leaving the company today.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I see billy corgan joining aew or roh and selling nwa to one of them
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Why would anyone buy NWA?
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

For the library and maybe he already doing stuff in roh because he like the sports feel and it seems nwa and the current roh product has the same feel
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Billy doesn't own the NWA library. He only owns the stuff from the time he bought the promotion forward. And that content has no value. It's been up on Youtube for free since it came out.

There's no way a guy who is begging for money on Patreon to keep his promotion afloat has anything of value to sell the big promotions.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Still think he is working or will be working for aew or roh soon my gut feeling its roh
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:21 am Billy doesn't own the NWA library. He only owns the stuff from the time he bought the promotion forward. And that content has no value. It's been up on Youtube for free since it came out.

There's no way a guy who is begging for money on Patreon to keep his promotion afloat has anything of value to sell the big promotions.
Technically that’s not true. He also owns the Paul Bosch tape library. He does own some old stuff. That being said, I can’t imagine his library being that valuable - to anyone