Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Montana wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:12 am They haven’t announced any specific ROH taping events so I think so. This week I assume they’ll tape Ramapge and Battle of the belts plus dark or elevation. My guess is they will continue to tape it with Dynamite and Rampage would be its own taping with Dark and/or RoH.

Looks like this week will have matches with:

Brian Cage vs Ortiz
Hot Sauce vs Daniel Garcia
Jay Lethal vs Darius Martin
Tony Nese vs Takeshita
Lucha Bros and Mark Briscoe vs Shane Taylor and work horse men
Rush and Dralistico vs The infantry
Righteous vs Steve somerset & Steve Azure
Willow vs Notoriois Mimi
Athena vs Yamashita
Shibata vs. Christopher Daniel’s

Believe a few more will be announced soon.

Predictions… Cage, Garcia, Lethal, Takeshita, Lucha Bros & Mark, Rush & Dralistico, righteous, Willow, Athena, and Shibata.

Can I go 10 for 10?? We are inching towards ROH dark.
Are you feeling so far that roh tv is pointless?
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

For a post ppv show this feels like it's got nothing going on
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:11 pm
Montana wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:12 am They haven’t announced any specific ROH taping events so I think so. This week I assume they’ll tape Ramapge and Battle of the belts plus dark or elevation. My guess is they will continue to tape it with Dynamite and Rampage would be its own taping with Dark and/or RoH.

Brian Cage vs Ortiz
Tony Nese vs Takeshita
Willow vs Notoriois Mimi
Athena vs Yamashita

Predictions… Cage, Garcia, Lethal, Takeshita, Lucha Bros & Mark, Rush & Dralistico, righteous, Willow, Athena, and Shibata.

Pointless LOL. Do you mean directionless? Coming off what is considered one of the better PPV's in recent years by McXal and others, myself included. You have no destination in sight to build for and trotted out a b show lineup for one week. Pushing the panic button would be incredibly stupid.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:20 pm

Brian Cage vs Ortiz
Tony Nese vs Takeshita
Willow vs Notoriois Mimi
Athena vs Yamashita

Pointless LOL. Do you mean directionless? Coming off what is considered one of the better PPV's in recent years by McXal and others, myself included. You have no destination in sight to build for and trotted out a b show lineup for one week. Pushing the panic button would be incredibly stupid.
All it proves you can skip the weekly show and only watch the ppvs because so far the relaunch of tv been nothing more than a glorified aew dark show
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:27 pm

All it proves you can skip the weekly show and only watch the ppvs because so far the relaunch of tv been nothing more than a glorified aew dark show
Really? So if I was someone who never heard of ROH why would I buy the PPV, I don't watch the tv show, so I only would theoretically know it's wrestling. I greatly enjoyed all the AEW Dark matches of VIkingo, Mark Briscoe, Samoa Joe, Shibata, etc. If you're going to complain about the tv show being just good basic matches I reckon you'd bitch and moan about the Sinclair tv too. You didn't. This is just another example of you not being able to keep your story straight or recognize that Long Island is a terrible market for ROH and they were given a C rate show for one week. Mind you, they just tossed out Katsuyori fucking Shibata and Chris Daniels a match that would be in any wrestling fan with a brain considered a dream match.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:55 pm

Really? So if I was someone who never heard of ROH why would I buy the PPV, I don't watch the tv show, so I only would theoretically know it's wrestling. I greatly enjoyed all the AEW Dark matches of VIkingo, Mark Briscoe, Samoa Joe, Shibata, etc. If you're going to complain about the tv show being just good basic matches I reckon you'd bitch and moan about the Sinclair tv too. You didn't. This is just another example of you not being able to keep your story straight or recognize that Long Island is a terrible market for ROH and they were given a C rate show for one week. Mind you, they just tossed out Katsuyori fucking Shibata and Chris Daniels a match that would be in any wrestling fan with a brain considered a dream match.
If this was sinclair roh tv you would be tearing it apart for giving daniels a pure championship match when a few weeks ago he was reforming his tag team with sydal to go after the tag team titles
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:03 pm
If this was sinclair roh tv you would be tearing it apart for giving daniels a pure championship match when a few weeks ago he was reforming his tag team with sydal to go after the tag team titles
I have a major issue with it being a title match, however it's Shibata and Daniels. I have a major issue with a bum like Brian Cage going over a guy like Ortiz who has zero direction. I have zero interest in Hobbs & QT vs. The Lucha Bros. I have zero interest in Taven doing anything. I have even less interest in a kook like Vinny doing the same stupid act again when it sucked 3 years ago. But I'm not going to disrespect two legends, and arguably one of the greatest comeback stories in pro wrestling history in Daniels and Shibata. Do you not respect Shibata's medical miracle? Do you not respect a founding father of ROH? Oh wait, I forgot you don't watch other wrestling or know the legacy of this business.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:08 pm

I have a major issue with it being a title match, however it's Shibata and Daniels. I have a major issue with a bum like Brian Cage going over a guy like Ortiz who has zero direction. I have zero interest in Hobbs & QT vs. The Lucha Bros. I have zero interest in Taven doing anything. I have even less interest in a kook like Vinny doing the same stupid act again when it sucked 3 years ago. But I'm not going to disrespect two legends, and arguably one of the greatest comeback stories in pro wrestling history in Daniels and Shibata. Do you not respect Shibata's medical miracle? Do you not respect a founding father of ROH? Oh wait, I forgot you don't watch other wrestling or know the legacy of this business.
A few people here and a few people that used to post here are saying it feels like this show is aew dark because are you getting so far on these shows is random booking with the matches or the talent that being used being booked to lose on aew tv while trying to build them up on roh tv
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:04 pm Long Island X ROH is just a cursed combo. Also way too much SInclair feel to this show. Gross.
Well, the AEW crowd isn’t exactly an ROH crowd. Even guys like Garcia/Takeshita/Lucha Bros barely popped the crowd. Even with some really good matches.

Your hatred for Sinclair knows no bounds. 2/3 of the talent on the show weren’t Sinclair ROH wrestlers.

I thought the matches were good. Similar thoughts to past shows. Good matches, good roster, but has the same flaw of AEW , which is making matches will very clear winners/losers. I predicted 10 of 10 matches. That’s a problem because if I know who’s going to win, why bother watching. (Same issue with dark). Just book something like Matt Taven vs Brian Cage, Infantry vs Work horsemen, Rush vs Pentagon…wrestlers in the same tier.

Oddly, I think I enjoyed the universal tapings more, bc you had a strong ROH fan base, plus taping 4 weeks in a row, you can ensure better episodic storylines, with building to a ppv. Week to week on Dynamite, we’ll likely see more random/mixed matches.

I’ll go 7/10 this week. 3 really good matches and a bit more filler.
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:14 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:08 pm

A few people here and a few people that used to post here are saying it feels like this show is aew dark because are you getting so far on these shows is random booking with the matches or the talent that being used being booked to lose on aew tv while trying to build them up on roh tv
You referring to 50-50 booking that noted genius Hunter Up In Smoke Johnston was famous for? The entire show feels absolutely nothing like Dark. As someone who used to sit through Dark in person weekly, there's a big difference. 4/10 effort here.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:37 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:04 pm Long Island X ROH is just a cursed combo. Also way too much SInclair feel to this show. Gross.
Well, the AEW crowd isn’t exactly an ROH crowd. Even guys like Garcia/Takeshita/Lucha Bros barely popped the crowd. Even with some really good matches.

Your hatred for Sinclair knows no bounds. 2/3 of the talent on the show weren’t Sinclair ROH wrestlers.

I thought the matches were good. Similar thoughts to past shows. Good matches, good roster, but has the same flaw of AEW , which is making matches will very clear winners/losers. I predicted 10 of 10 matches. That’s a problem because if I know who’s going to win, why bother watching. (Same issue with dark). Just book something like Matt Taven vs Brian Cage, Infantry vs Work horsemen, Rush vs Pentagon…wrestlers in the same tier.

Oddly, I think I enjoyed the universal tapings more, bc you had a strong ROH fan base, plus taping 4 weeks in a row, you can ensure better episodic storylines, with building to a ppv. Week to week on Dynamite, we’ll likely see more random/mixed matches.

It's fucking Long Island, a city where ROH with Joe & Punk roaming around had bad crowds. Vinny, Dutch, Shane Taylor, Rush, Lethal, Daniels, Trace, Mark, QT, etc. personality free dudes like Cage and Nese. It was a C show town with a C show lineup just like 2019 & 2020 ROH. It's not a good enough group. I do hate Sinclair, I hated what they did to my friends, I hated how the shows felt, I hate their politics, I hate their financial decisions, and I absolutely hated how they treated people who left for greener pastures. Jealousy and bitterness, no Honor.

Picking results is absolutely common. It's not hard if you focus on the product. Aside from Roman beating Cody and WWE dropping a slam dunk, I had every other wrestlemania match predicted. We go forward to Dynamite last night, I could have easily predicted who went over. It's not rocket science. All it takes is a bit of effort of paying attention.

The crowd last night was actually a lot better than it was mic'd up. That building is notorious for that being an issue. It's why Max asked for his volume to be turned up. Most hockey arenas suffer from the same issue. This same building had this problem the last time they were there. Any arena where it widens out and up, sound on the crowd won't hit cameras.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Popping for Shibata/Daniels in 2023? I loved both, but they should be retired not having a match for major ROH title. Shibata is 1 bump from dying. It’s ridiculous that he is wrestling in ROH. Dude can’t even work NJPW because they are nervous about him. Daniels should be in tag & 6 man matches. Far away from singles & titles.

This weeks TV was hit or miss. I hope this isn’t the direction because it felt like an afterthought. My cousin went to the show. I told him to text me the results he texted “it’s ROH dark…lol”
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Waiting to see how ROH goes by the time AEW Dynamite rolls into Downtown Baltimore next month. Hopefully vets like Christopher Daniels, Shibata, and B.J. Whitmer are influential in the creative direction of Ring Of Honor.

Thinking about going but not trying to walk through Baltimore at Midnight.
May need to suplex a crackhead or two :twisted: ... to get to the car.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:51 pm Popping for Shibata/Daniels in 2023? I loved both, but they should be retired not having a match for major ROH title. Shibata is 1 bump from dying. It’s ridiculous that he is wrestling in ROH. Dude can’t even work NJPW because they are nervous about him. Daniels should be in tag & 6 man matches. Far away from singles & titles.

This weeks TV was hit or miss. I hope this isn’t the direction because it felt like an afterthought. My cousin went to the show. I told him to text me the results he texted “it’s ROH dark…lol”
If a legend like Shibata is having a match with Daniels, I'm going to respect them both and enjoy what I see. If it sucks, I'll say so. It didn't. I also have great concern but I trust the AEW medical team having seen what they have done for others, myself included. Doc Sampson is the man who actually suggested I get an MRI on my ankle leading to me finding out specifically what the issue was as to why after 19 x-ray's I had no fracture. He's handled Austin's head injuries, and while less extensive than Shibata, I respect his views and have no doubt safety is first.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

Brian Cage vs Ortiz
Tony Nese vs Takeshita
Willow vs Notoriois Mimi
Athena vs Yamashita

No, i wouldn't say it's pointless... Can it be better... sure. Most weeks it's equal to or better than the rest of the wrestling shows out there. So the action is good; good presentation. My biggest complaint is probably wanting more, and wanting distribution/live events to be further along. More people to be able to watch it, without having to pay $9.99 a month.

The booking; could be better; but people literally say that about every booker ever.

I'll go as far as to say the revamped ROH has exceeded my expectations. But i don't know how relevant it will be in the future if they cant get a TV deal; and basically AEWs little brother.
AnHonorableMention

https://gofund.me/b212d8de

Everyone claiming to be an ROH fan should be donating to Deranged.
Captain Podcast
KL_

Post by KL_ »

I had no idea about this situation but now I did the donation.
I hope he'll receive some more help from wrestling fans.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:08 pm https://gofund.me/b212d8de

Everyone claiming to be an ROH fan should be donating to Deranged.

What has happened? I saw that account active 3 days ago.
Montana

Post by Montana »

This Thursdays show.
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:52 pm
Montana wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:37 pm

Picking results is absolutely common. It's not hard if you focus on the product. Aside from Roman beating Cody and WWE dropping a slam dunk, I had every other wrestlemania match predicted. We go forward to Dynamite last night, I could have easily predicted who went over. It's not rocket science. All it takes is a bit of effort of paying attention.
While I agree it’s not rocket science in predicting winners, there’s a 99% chance the favorite will win. (Same with this weeks card)
While wrestlemania… it’s more like 80/20% or 90/10%. Could John cena, Finn Balor, Omos, Cody won? Sure.

The odds someone like Metalik is winning the ROH championship is like 1% if that. Many of these matches are extremely one sided. Sure, there may be a Jericho/action Andretti moment where the 1% chance happens… but I’d prefer to watch/pay for matches with evenly matched talent. Like the Shane Taylor vs Silas Young match. It could have gone either way. When you have like 3 debuting women vs 3 pushed women in ROH , seems like it’s all a foregone conclusion on what will happen. Matches like this won’t maintain subscribers imo.