Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by supersonic »

The typical Cornette brigade won't mention this and only wanna go for the low hanging fruit of blaming it all on the BTE crew, but there's a valid reason to be concerned about Tony Khan's leadership. As Rich Fann said, this is a middle management failure, a failure to implement the appropriate canaries in the coal mine to ensure that all the bullshit didn't get to this point. There's gotta be that party which can be the bridge between those with substantial WWE exposure and having been exposed to that environment, as well as those who came up the BTE/2010s indy way. There's also gotta be a "bad cop" that takes the heat off Khan, someone like so many infamous behind-the-scenes names were such as Dave Lagana and Johnny Ace. ("Vince loved me, but if it wasn't for that motherfucker in his ear...")

There's something to the point that until AEW gets the proper infrastructure finally in place (and the decisions made after Gresham's outburst have now been exposed as nowhere near good enough considering that Buck and Daniels are currently suspended), establishing another brand could turn out to be another foolish decision for Khan. The man already has too much on his plate, and that is perhaps an understatement.
DougN

Post by DougN »

The typical Cornette brigade won't mention this and only wanna go for the low hanging fruit of blaming it all on the BTE crew
This is a little rich coming from you. You've been gleefully shitting on the BTE crew since the first Punk's unhappy news broke.

I agree that Tony Khan comes out the worse in all of this because he couldn't control the situation beforehand and even while it was unfolding literally, physically next to him.

But again, you're stating this after slamming anything non-Torch as "compromised" and then shared an absurd hit piece which used a throwaway BTE bit as "evidence." Oh, and you called that "measured."
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I won't apologizing inserting my editorial observation that a good chunk of the BTE crew is smarmy, catty, two-faced, entitled, and dismissive, and they decided they should keep that attitude up against someone who other than roid monkeys and those who have committed murder, may be the most high-strung big star in the industry's history. Their refusal to rarely if ever invest into more visceral, long-form, serious-toned programs with masculine, adult-oriented energy in favor of being a low-rent version of CW Network programming causes them to quickly lose their luster with many viewers, including me. I don't need some blowhard (no matter how entertaining he can sometimes be) that turned my favorite federation of any era into some shitty reiteration of SMW to point that out for me.

I don't see the BTE crew getting away with their antics as much if they had to swim with the real sharks of 2000s WWE that Punk managed to navigate through (however rocky those waters definitely proved to sometimes be for him.) This was a powder keg that those with their ear to the ground somewhat foresaw would come long before Punk was brought into the fold.

As easy as it is to wanna say "OMG SCORCHED EARTH UNPROFESSIONAL!" (and there is obviously validity to that), I consider that to be a low-hanging fruit observation. Someone needed to finally step up and not be afraid to call the BTE crew out on their bullshit, and to do it publicly rather than than doing so through catty dirtsheet gossip. Hopefully underneath all the heat and violence that erupted in the situation, the substance of what came in that rant will be taken seriously and Khan will analyze it with genuine nuance, because unless the right middlemen fall into place, I believe this is destined to happen again, even if it doesn't reach the same severity.

I'll add this, and perhaps it could be a future column from me: I'd love if this situation can be weaved into adding a new dimension to the Elite. Let's see them work a program that takes them to a dark place in terms of anger, that brings out a raw side that will make the mentally "softer" portions of their fan base feel some discomfort. Think of Cabana getting a new dimension thanks to the Homicide program, pull-aparts/rioting segments such as Lesnar vs. Taker and Homicide vs. Corino, the spark of interest in the Danielson vs. Strong series thanks to the finish of their first match, shit like that. Even something like the Bulls vs. Pistons rivalry of the late '80s that saw some absolutely brutal shit for what isn't really supposed to be a contact sport. Perhaps FTR can eventually play that role, who knows.
DougN

Post by DougN »

No one asked for an apology, but you conveniently stated "only wanna go for the low hanging fruit of blaming it all on the BTE crew" when you've been openly bitching about them and only them for weeks now. Or has your hatred rotted your short-term memory?

And yes, please more columns for someone who claims not to watch, but has an opinion on every single thing. Please shit on stuff that's popular enough to make a second wrestling promotion profitable for the first time since 1999 just because the core of the promotion is guys who make a silly YouTube video.

You're not a lapsed fan. You're a grump. There's a vast difference.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

If you want to watch some roh then impact for you because impact became roh they have brought in talents like delirious max the impaler joe hendry among the other roh talent impact already had
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:28 pm If you want to watch some roh then impact for you because impact became roh they have brought in talents like delirious max the impaler joe hendry among the other roh talent impact already had
Nothing screams ROH like these 3. FFS.
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:36 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:28 pm If you want to watch some roh then impact for you because impact became roh they have brought in talents like delirious max the impaler joe hendry among the other roh talent impact already had
Yeah it totally would scream ROH if it was Hagadorn and Rhett Titus FFS
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

he said "among the other roh talent impact already had" but you skipped that to needlessly shit on him.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Shanahan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:18 pm
he said "among the other roh talent impact already had" but you skipped that to needlessly shit on him.
Exactly. just to shit on someone who enjoys wrestling since he cant find happiness
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Shame ROH doesn't have its own television yet. It's weird watching it thru AEW & not getting its own narrative.

Wheeler Yuta vs. Daniel Garcia for Pure Championship.
Claudio C. vs Chris Jericho for ROH World Championship.
FTR in limbo with the ROH tag title.

At least if the belts were traveling ... the story would be that the belts are traveling.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

My point was impact product is turned into roh given it's heavy on wrestling along with using a lot of former roh talent in the ring and using former roh backstage personnel to write impact weekly show including rumors of delirious joining impact creative team
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:14 am
Yeah it totally would scream ROH if it was Hagadorn and Rhett Titus FFS
Absolutely. One guy who no longer wrestles and another who has been part of the product longer than the 3 other names mentioned combined.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

The other "talents" from ROH don't need to be shit on anymore than they already have. Matt Taven and his cult of weirdo fans, LOL. Maybe they'll run the garden and put their belt on him and then draw 200 people the next show too.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:09 pm My point was impact product is turned into roh given it's heavy on wrestling along with using a lot of former roh talent in the ring and using former roh backstage personnel to write impact weekly show including rumors of delirious joining impact creative team
Cause Delirious joining TNA creative makes me want to watch hahahahahahahhahaha
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:54 pm

Exactly. just to shit on someone who enjoys wrestling since he cant find happiness
Let me know what's happening in my life outside of the rare posting on this mostly moron filled message board, that makes me unhappy.
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:17 am

Let me know what's happening in my life outside of the rare posting on this mostly moron filled message board, that makes me unhappy.
Deep down inside...you already know.

If its such a moron board as you put it...why are you still here?

Also...Taven is more over than Rhett and Hagadorn combined
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:15 am

The other "talents" from ROH don't need to be shit on anymore than they already have. Matt Taven and his cult of weirdo fans, LOL. Maybe they'll run the garden and put their belt on him and then draw 200 people the next show too.
I read what he wrote and i agreed with him (because it's true, they have around dozen or so roh guys) but i also knew when i saw you replied it was gonna be something shitty to him & i was not wrong. This board is filled with morons? You know what they call a guy who argues with morons??
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Shanahan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:39 pm

I read what he wrote and i agreed with him (because it's true, they have around dozen or so roh guys) but i also knew when i saw you replied it was gonna be something shitty to him & i was not wrong. This board is filled with morons? You know what they call a guy who argues with morons??
It seem he only comes on here to say how right he is all the time or how everyone on here is morons for saying things he doesn't agree with
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:58 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:17 am

Deep down inside...you already know.

If its such a moron board as you put it...why are you still here?

Also...Taven is more over than Rhett and Hagadorn combined
I'm here because I like a couple people here. Unfortunately the SBG Short Brains occupy space as well. Like the republican party of pro wrestling. Sickos.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:39 pm

Not arguing with morons. Simply pointing out facts. Hunter was too coked out post All In to have a coherent conversation with Chuck & Trent, we want to talk about that? Maybe talk about how Joe Koff was too cocky and how ROH thought Taven should end the Garden show over Okada? Or do we talk about all the other underthought and underexecuted ideas from 2012-2022. There were bright spots but the stooges running the place couldn't figure out what ROH was, until they rode the Bullet Club bandwagon.
Captain Podcast