Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Montana »

I'm no expert at mania weekend; but it looks like:

Wrestlecon has NJPW Strong taping at 5pm and Impact at 9pm on April 1st at the Fairmont Hotel (Limited seating??)

ROH has Supercard at 7pm; about about 30ish minutes away at the Curtis Culwell Center. (7K seating)

So i imagine it wouldn't be impossible for the talent to go from one show to the other ROH with Impact/NJPW.

Or Maybe ROH uses more GCW/AEW talent.

Think it would be harder for fans to catch the NJPW then ROH show... unless the NJPW show is only an hour. IMagine ROH & IMpact are going to run into each other. Doesn't seem ideal for Impact and NJPW to be promoting ROH's upcoming show/talent; yet running concurrently.

Not sure how ROH plans to promote the event. They stopped their week by week show. Not sure if Quinn or Ian is still under contract. It kinda looked like they taped their hosting duties in DEC for the upcoming TV tapings.

**********************************************************************************************************

Very tentative Supercard Matches:

Jonathan Gresham vs. Bandido (Or someone like Danielson)

Briscoes vs. FTR (Could be in AEW, GCW, or ROH.... or all three)

Deonna Purrazzo vs. Rok-C

Maybe a Honor no more vs. Impact group 4 on 4 match

Here nor there; it's probably in ROH's best interest to announce a big match or two; and/or a few bigger names , sooner than later.
Montana

Post by Montana »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M0AJQY56ks

Long story short... ROH plans to focus on the men's women's , and tag belts. ROH has video rights to any ROH title matches; and they plan to air them on ROH TV. There is an impact taping spoiler on a women's match too. Beware.
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

Poor Josh Woods. Never got to shine with that Pure Title. Should just do a 3-way winner take all elimination match with him, Gresham and Bandido at Supercard and merge the belts.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Montana wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:26 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M0AJQY56ks

Long story short... ROH plans to focus on the men's women's , and tag belts. ROH has video rights to any ROH title matches; and they plan to air them on ROH TV. There is an impact taping spoiler on a women's match too. Beware.
minus the mention of core talent it sounds like roh is doing what impact first did when anthem first bought the company
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Wrestlingisback wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:06 pm Poor Josh Woods. Never got to shine with that Pure Title. Should just do a 3-way winner take all elimination match with him, Gresham and Bandido at Supercard and merge the belts.
I know ROH would be better of with fewer belts but with how important the Pure Title has been it would be a shame if it just disappeared without a proper send off.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:41 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:24 am That building is where AEW runs. Jesus.
Seems a little too big, but maybe they got a really good deal on the building.
Why does everyone always go to the maybe they got a good deal on the building? No venue manager is gonna be like "yeah Gary Juster, I'm a big ROH fan, have the building for multiple days for half of what we could get from a company owned by a billion dollar corporation"
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:07 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:58 pm Literally calling the group Honor No More. Has it sunk in yet?
No. Explain it to me
They aren't coming back. PCO already left.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:48 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:24 am That building is where AEW runs. Jesus.
It is Mania weekend, and maybe ROH has some special guest up their sleeves.

The odd thing is; like technically they have no one under contract; so they should probably announce a few names locked in for the event and maybe a match or two; before tickets go on sale. If all the big names have signed deals else where; it will certainly have a different feel to the show.
The whole point of a hiatus was to lower costs. They aren't gonna over spend to bring someone in to a show with heavy competition that's virtually guaranteed to lose a shit ton of money.
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

im looking forward to the relaunch. It would be awesome if it came back and ended up being better than the glory years.

I bet the Honor no more comesback
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:22 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:58 pm Literally calling the group Honor No More. Has it sunk in yet?
No. Explain it to me
OGK & Vincent will be working ROH. If ROH offers PCO a big match he will work too. No more contracts, no more problems.
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:23 pm

The odd thing is; like technically they have no one under contract; so they should probably announce a few names locked in for the event and maybe a match or two; before tickets go on sale. If all the big names have signed deals else where; it will certainly have a different feel to the show.
The whole point of a hiatus was to lower costs. They aren't gonna over spend to bring someone in to a show with heavy competition that's virtually guaranteed to lose a shit ton of money.
While I agree the whole point is to lower cost, bringing in a big name for one match cost a hell of a lot less, than signing someone to a contract. (Ie: Taven). They are going to need some names to sell tickets and honor club buys.

You don’t need 20 big names, but at least a main event singles and tag match, and maybe a speciality match.
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

Here's my thoughts. I don't see anything wrong with just using 3 titles. I already, Jerry Jarrett say once less is more as it pertains to belts. I think they have a decent idea to rebuild. It gives ROH a chance to have a anyone can show up mentality like they use to back in the day before contracts started at the beginning of the PPV era when Gabe was still booking. With the titles being a touring champions. That is a win for everyone, ROH gets the footage, and the promotions they're working with.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:52 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:22 pm

No. Explain it to me
OGK & Vincent will be working ROH. If ROH offers PCO a big match he will work too. No more contracts, no more problems.
Well of course money talks. However, one of those folks wouldn't have quit before his deal was up if he was happy with his employer. Can't imagine anyone except the two who can't get gigs elsewhere will come running back.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:44 am

While I agree the whole point is to lower cost, bringing in a big name for one match cost a hell of a lot less, than signing someone to a contract. (Ie: Taven). They are going to need some names to sell tickets and honor club buys.

You don’t need 20 big names, but at least a main event singles and tag match, and maybe a speciality match.
This company/SBG from the very get go has been brand before individual. Also, everyone at WWE & AEW are off limits, Impact is running their own show opposite. NJPW is as well. Let's pretend they spend out of pocket, who is going motivate someone to drive 45 minutes or more depending on traffic to drive out to see at ROH?
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:04 pm

This company/SBG from the very get go has been brand before individual. Also, everyone at WWE & AEW are off limits, Impact is running their own show opposite. NJPW is as well. Let's pretend they spend out of pocket, who is going motivate someone to drive 45 minutes or more depending on traffic to drive out to see at ROH?
How do you know AEW talent is off limits? Didn't FTR just show up at Final Battle? Danielson recently said he wanted to face Jonathan Gresham. While some of that might be dream scenario; in theory you'd want to start with the relaunch with a bang. Plus there are a ton of ex-wwe free agents out there. They could bring in someone like Samoa Joe or Keith Lee. I just don't see ROH coming back; without something notable at supercard of honor. Or maybe they run with the PWG guys. Plus it sounds like ROH's plan is to just run their titles through other promotions so maybe that helps some new relationships.

Not to mention; NJPW & Impact are holding their show at a hotel. Whats the capacity , 1-2K? I don't have a crystal ball; but i imagine ROH will put on a better/bigger card; than the NJPW strong tapings or whatever Impact has planned. I could be wrong; but i just don't expect ROH to return with the "same ole" ROH guys. You said it yourself, PCO, Taven, Bennett, Vincent were done with ROH. They'll need someone to take their place.

The 30-45 min drive is concerning; so they'll have to make it worth it.

Until these companies announce talent; we'll just be guessing.
Last edited by Montana on Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Kinda funny how we all thought ROH was dead and then 3 weeks later we are arguing about an arena being too big. Good improvement.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Shanahan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:19 pm Kinda funny how we all thought ROH was dead and then 3 weeks later we are arguing about an arena being too big. Good improvement.
To be fair, the only reason people thought they weren't coming back was that they didn't bother to announce a return date. They could have easily staved all of that talk off if they had just put a date in the graphic.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:34 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:04 pm

How do you know AEW talent is off limits? Didn't FTR just show up at Final Battle? Danielson recently said he wanted to face Jonathan Gresham. While some of that might be dream scenario; in theory you'd want to start with the relaunch with a bang. Plus there are a ton of ex-wwe free agents out there. They could bring in someone like Samoa Joe or Keith Lee. I just don't see ROH coming back; without something notable at supercard of honor. Or maybe they run with the PWG guys. Plus it sounds like ROH's plan is to just run their titles through other promotions so maybe that helps some new relationships.

Not to mention; NJPW & Impact are holding their show at a hotel. Whats the capacity , 1-2K? I don't have a crystal ball; but i imagine ROH will put on a better/bigger card; than the NJPW strong tapings or whatever Impact has planned. I could be wrong; but i just don't expect ROH to return with the "same ole" ROH guys. You said it yourself, PCO, Taven, Bennett, Vincent were done with ROH. They'll need someone to take their place.

The 30-45 min drive is concerning; so they'll have to make it worth it.

Until these companies announce talent; we'll just be guessing.
Tony, Cody, the Bucks, and even AEW's live event promoter has said they will not run Mania weekend out of respect for WWE as it is their weekend. This has been said multiple times in multiple interviews. FTR was sent to Final Battle because Tony wanted to help send ROH out on a nice note because without ROH there would be no AEW. Danielson isn't doing indy matches during yet another variant filled pandemic period because of unvaccinated idiots. So without jumping behind the paywall to tell you what Mike Johnson reported today re: Impact's newest stable but it's most certainly relevant to the point of who is going to draw more.

Asking prices for recently released WWE talent is high, Mania weekend, of all places it will be higher than what a Vincent or whomever else was making per date. Pretty sure Joe didn't like what he experienced the first lap through the SBG-ROH based on his immediate thought of going to AEW when he was fired the first time. Keith Lee I'll be curious to see if he ever works again anywhere major. Nice guy, but health should be his priority. ROH is not going to get a "brother rate" from anyone based on how they treated people at the end.

ROH is dead. Whatever SBG resurrects won't be the ROH we know and loved. I'm sure there are SBG employees hoping to mask this project with the 3 letters, they'll have some fooled but most will know better. Too much milk has already filled the cereal bowl.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:42 pm
Shanahan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:19 pm Kinda funny how we all thought ROH was dead and then 3 weeks later we are arguing about an arena being too big. Good improvement.
To be fair, the only reason people thought they weren't coming back was that they didn't bother to announce a return date. They could have easily staved all of that talk off if they had just put a date in the graphic.
To the point being they were also awaiting SBG money being allocated to them as of the Monday after Final Battle from what I was told. Much tighter purse strings now. Certainly seeing what rent for 48 hours at the venue is will be rather curious to see how they make that back. Guessing this is going to be a 1 and done based on competition, pandemic, travel restrictions, and talent roster limitations(not quality of talent, for those who will play that lame card).
Captain Podcast
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:21 pm
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:41 am
Seems a little too big, but maybe they got a really good deal on the building.
Why does everyone always go to the maybe they got a good deal on the building? No venue manager is gonna be like "yeah Gary Juster, I'm a big ROH fan, have the building for multiple days for half of what we could get from a company owned by a billion dollar corporation"
Well if you’re a building that doesn’t have the date booked and the prospects of it getting filled are slim, you probably lower your rate to seal the deal. “Guaranteed” income is better than no income.