Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by monster mafia »

this is sad, deppen deserves all the money, very angry he can get a roh contract, hope he find a new home soon.

https://twitter.com/Tony_Deppen/status/ ... 7458225154
Montana

Post by Montana »

monster mafia wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:30 am this is sad, deppen deserves all the money, very angry he can get a roh contract, hope he find a new home soon.

https://twitter.com/Tony_Deppen/status/ ... 7458225154
He's a great example of what ROH should build around with a rebuild. Hopefully, he and the rest of the roster; can find work; and continue to make ends meet.

Unfortunately, i assume ROH won't build much of a touring schedule for 2022; until they know how Supercard of Honor does ticket sales wise. Not quite sure why it takes 6 months to restructure contracts; and re imagine the company. 3-4 months of older TV content; before your launch show; doesn't seem like a good idea.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I don’t know if it’s too late overall but I do think the people behind the scenes in ROH have finally found what they should have been looking for long ago. The guys they’ve brought in over the last year or so showed that and hopefully that can continue.
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

Apparently Sinclair reported significant debt on their earnings call today. No mention of ROH and it’s status

https://sbgi.net/pr-news/sinclair-repor ... 0of%202020.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Wrestlingisback wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:12 am Apparently Sinclair reported significant debt on their earnings call today. No mention of ROH and it’s status

https://sbgi.net/pr-news/sinclair-repor ... 0of%202020.
Sinclair financials are the most important issue for ROH right now. We can talk all day about creative and talent but if the parent company is making profits in other areas like it normally did then they won't have the time and money to help grow ROH again.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

The RSN's killed them.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Overly optimistic take as devil’s advocate.

Based on the history of the last several years, Sinclair is overall satisfied with the cost/programming trade off of ROH and assuming Sinclair doesn’t have any huge changes, there’s a good chance they continue to want a trimmed down ROH.

Much of ROHs recent problems could actually be improved by reducing the contracted talent. Ring of Honor too often focuses on less interesting talent because they are loyal and avoids spotlighting talent who is t “theirs”, yet many of the top contracted talent will leave at the end of their contract period anyway. The story get dragged out too long and there are too many multi man matches as they try to works as many people into the major shows as they can.

Signing talent for a couple months worth of shows, and tightening up on the story arcs could actually force some good changes and improvements.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Two things that might hinder me getting back into roh one is the roster turnover that could be coming monthly and two getting rid of talent along with backstage staff that really wanted to be in roh to help the company grow
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:50 am Two things that might hinder me getting back into roh one is the roster turnover that could be coming monthly and two getting rid of talent along with backstage staff that really wanted to be in roh to help the company grow
There is a long time between today and SuperCard of Honor. There is no need to rush into judgement on if you'll like the product. I can understand being disenchanted with losing people in front of and behind the camera that really want to see ROH succeed but it's just too soon to make determination of if you'll want to continue to follow the product.
Montana

Post by Montana »

– As previously reported, following the news of ROH planning to go on a hiatus and needing to pivot on its company strategy, it was rumored that the ROH tape library is currently for sale and has been shopped around for about a year. Fightful Select had an update on the company’s tape library this week and clarified the question of the ownership of the tape archive.

With regards to the tape library ownership, former ROH owner Cary Silkin has clarified to Fightful that ROH parent company Sinclair Broadcast Group (SBG) owns the entire video library. So, the tape library ownership isn’t divided between SBG and Silkin.

It’s unknown if there are any suitors on buying the tape library yet. However, another source informed Fightful “that nothing is off the table” in regards to a library sale.

The previous report on the sale by the Wrestling Observer Newsletter noted that no one has attempted to purchase the library yet as ROH is asking for “much more than the current market dictates” for the footage. Also, sources in WWE, AEW, and Impact Wrestling have denied any knowledge about the tape library being on sale.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting... I know Vince probably wants it for pennies on the dollar. You'd think he'd pay extra to own "All In" just to have it.

If I'm TK; the timing is perfect for AEW; your starting a streaming service soon; you have a TON of former ROH talent... seems like it could be a win-win. Gotta think he makes a strong play, UNLESS he doesn't want to be known as ROH 2.0; OR known as the guy that killed ROH and bought it.
Last edited by Montana on Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Montana wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:13 pm – As previously reported, following the news of ROH planning to go on a hiatus and needing to pivot on its company strategy, it was rumored that the ROH tape library is currently for sale and has been shopped around for about a year. Fightful Select had an update on the company’s tape library this week and clarified the question of the ownership of the tape archive.

With regards to the tape library ownership, former ROH owner Cary Silkin has clarified to Fightful that ROH parent company Sinclair Broadcast Group (SBG) owns the entire video library. So, the tape library ownership isn’t divided between SBG and Silkin.

It’s unknown if there are any suitors on buying the tape library yet. However, another source informed Fightful “that nothing is off the table” in regards to a library sale.

The previous report on the sale by the Wrestling Observer Newsletter noted that no one has attempted to purchase the library yet as ROH is asking for “much more than the current market dictates” for the footage. Also, sources in WWE, AEW, and Impact Wrestling have denied any knowledge about the tape library being on sale.
Hmmmm where have I heard all of this before….
Captain Podcast
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Thinking the NJPWofA "Detonation" card in Riverside, California on 15NOV may be a possible blueprint for ROH in the future. Was thinking this was a broadcast event but it may be a television taping. Point is that there is in-house talent mixed with independent wrestlers.

Possible future of Ring Of Honor is this card & ROH Honor For All (during the same weekend) as a hybrid. Mixed with GCW network & utilizing talent from MCW (which is connected to ROH dojo).
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

The “Honor for All” show looks really good, surprised at the lack of chatter about it even with the pending hiatus.

Brody vs Gresham has a match I was relooking forward to like 9 months down the road. Not sure if they expect to not be able to run it later assuming the restart, or what but it should be good.

Woods is glaring by his absence. I assume there’s a good chance of a tag title change here.
Last edited by EvanKnight on Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

the womens match is a 4 way...my bad.
Montana

Post by Montana »

This could be nothing… but Jay Lethal is not on the Final Battle poster. I assume his contract is up no later than 31 Dec, BUT they did say they would work with the talent if they want to be released early.

Hopefully, one way or the other, he’s on the show.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

If you're interested to hear Kellyanne's interview that I believe was mentioned here, there you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG2vt4Tm7qA
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

If she is telling truth it looked like Marty had full control of women's tourney because finals of Kellyanne (his signing) & Serena Deeb (his girlfriend) is dead give away.
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Several new collector's series DVDs up - FB '12, FB '15, 12th Anniversary (?), and the Cole comp:

https://www.shophonor.com/watch/compilations
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Supercard of Honor should be two days:
-SCoH XIV on Friday night (7-8 matches)
-SCoH XV on Saturday afternoon (7-8 matches)
Even though one day (10+ matches) may be better. More manageable.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Wavelet Transform wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:48 pm Several new collector's series DVDs up - FB '12, FB '15, 12th Anniversary (?), and the Cole comp:

https://www.shophonor.com/watch/compilations
I thought doing the original Global Wars instead of the original War of the Worlds was a weird choice too, very odd which shows they picked imo