Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Shanahan

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:27 pm
Shanahan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:10 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:31 pm

A pro wrestling Tucker Carlson take.
This is probably your worst reply ever. I expect much more from you.
Any time you accuse journalists of taking money to cover things favorably in any aspect, excluding the news networks aimed at certain political groups, I'm going to tell you it's nonsense, Tucker Carlson level nonsense.
Your head is farther up your ass than i thought. When did a say they are taking payoff's? I said AEW guys kiss their ass. Just look at Meltzer. He destroyed his famous and once awesome star ratings to suck up to the elite. These guys spend their time arguing with fans on twitter and 95% of it is them defending AEW. I can read AEW reviews where they gloss over plot hole and then read a review for another company where they pick apart something meaningless that causes them to check out of the match. I like AEW. I watch every show. I've enjoyed it more since i deleted all social media apps, stopped reading reviews & canceled my subs. The ass kissing was turning me against the company and i didn't want that to continue.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:00 pm The fact they have the wrestling "journalists" in their back pocket
this u?
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:14 pm
Shanahan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:10 pm

This is probably your worst reply ever. I expect much more from you.
Any time you accuse journalists of taking money to cover things favorably in any aspect, excluding the news networks aimed at certain political groups, I'm going to tell you it's nonsense, Tucker Carlson level nonsense.
Your head is farther up your ass than i thought. When did a say they are taking payoff's? I said AEW guys kiss their ass. Just look at Meltzer. He destroyed his famous and once awesome star ratings to suck up to the elite. These guys spend their time arguing with fans on twitter and 95% of it is them defending AEW. I can read AEW reviews where they gloss over plot hole and then read a review for another company where they pick apart something meaningless that causes them to check out of the match. I like AEW. I watch every show. I've enjoyed it more since i deleted all social media apps, stopped reading reviews & canceled my subs. The ass kissing was turning me against the company and i didn't want that to continue.
You ain't P Diddy pal, Know I'm lacking
Backtracking
Where I met you
Pistol packing
Itchy finger
Trigger happy
Try to trap me
Bad rap
Wiretap me
Back-stab me
Break the faith
Fall from grace
Tell me lies
Time flies
Close your eyes
Come with me

Shanahan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:00 pm The fact they have the wrestling "journalists" in their back pocket
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

DougN wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:16 pm
this u?
No idea where you are from but back pocket here has nothing to do with money...it means you can pull them out when you need an advantage.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:18 pm

Backtracking
Where I met you
Pistol packing
Itchy finger
Trigger happy
Try to trap me
Bad rap
Wiretap me
Back-stab me
Break the faith
Fall from grace
Tell me lies
Time flies
Close your eyes
Come with me

Again..nothing to do with money...tony can pull them out whenever he needs. Keep simping for AEW..it's a free country, for now.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I do find it strange to see people say that there hasn’t been investment in company when clearly there has been upgrades in backstage presentation, female talent being signed are other smaller areas. Which are still important for the overall show.

Talent being signed is what it is, AEW can offer a much better package overall and I’m including the large fan base etc in that. Really are you going to sign for ROH or AEW it’s a pretty simple decision.

Again looking at AEW and finding faults shouldn’t be a problem, it general always turns I’m some garbage fight because these issues are deemed inconsequential to the general feeling and development of the product.

Also we really shouldn’t be going gaga about Boddy Fish a 40 year old with bad injuries and a troubling past. Overall there’s enough talent out there to trust in and develop ROH just needs to be clever and get the right people, someone like Da Mysterious Q, would top of my list. I’d happily see ROH use the same mentality for its women’s roster throughout the roster as a whole, connect with the Indy mentality again and ROH will become a strong contender again. I think people forget what made ROH special in the first place talent had slowly been building a reputation a close knit fan base that then grew organically with exposure and presentation that helped everyone. ROH needs to do that again.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

If we can't have a conversation without acknowledging that Meltzer shows favor to people who are his sources and particular wrestlers that he prefers to watch then why even bother? There is 35 years of evidence that clearly shows he does. I'm not even saying it's a bad thing but to pretend that Meltzer will go easier on AEW, just like he has on New Japan in recent years is ridiculous. With that being said you shouldn't be following "wrestling journalists" word as gospel anyway as companies over that same time period have fed him false information to hide surprises or wrestlers using him to air their grudges.

On the ROH side of the discussion, I'd imagine they have no idea what their budget should be this year due to still paying talent and only running 4 shows with fans this year. I wouldn't be surprised at all if more higher paid talent left at the end of the year and the roster size shrunk. Unlike the glory days of ROH this management seems to have an interest in turning a profit, even if it's a small one.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

According to Meltzer the only 5 star match of Danielson's career took place this year in AEW.

C'mon. He's had 50 matches between ROH, the indies, and WWE better than that.
Montana

Post by Montana »

kovs27 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:18 am
On the ROH side of the discussion, I'd imagine they have no idea what their budget should be this year due to still paying talent and only running 4 shows with fans this year. I wouldn't be surprised at all if more higher paid talent left at the end of the year and the roster size shrunk. Unlike the glory days of ROH this management seems to have an interest in turning a profit, even if it's a small one.
Yeah, like something has to be up. PCO & Rush basically saying they are free agents; No plans other than recording the minimum TV & Final Battle this year. Barely any free agents signings. My guess is they will get to the 20 year anniversary.... but like they just don't seemed concerned/ or any sense of urgency. Although they do seem to be pushing the new women's division, so who knows.

famicommander wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:43 am According to Meltzer the only 5 star match of Danielson's career took place this year in AEW.

If that doesn't speak volumes, i don't know what else to say. I'd love to hear him explain how that has been the best match Danielson ever had.
DougN

Post by DougN »

kovs27 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:18 am If we can't have a conversation without acknowledging that Meltzer shows favor to people who are his sources and particular wrestlers that he prefers to watch then why even bother? There is 35 years of evidence that clearly shows he does. I'm not even saying it's a bad thing but to pretend that Meltzer will go easier on AEW, just like he has on New Japan in recent years is ridiculous. With that being said you shouldn't be following "wrestling journalists" word as gospel anyway as companies over that same time period have fed him false information to hide surprises or wrestlers using him to air their grudges.
This is where people completely lose me. What do you mean easy on New Japan in recent years? He's been sounding the alarm on the company for years in that they haven't invested in the youth and all their top guys are old. He's been critical of the EVIL booking the past year. But because he gives them great star ratings, that must mean he just goes easy on them. I mean, there was even the infamous Naito-Ibushi match where he spent legit 15 minutes talking about how reckless and dangerous it is for the business and New Japan should tone it down.

You're either not listening/reading to Meltzer or you're just choosing star ratings over any business and trend criticism he provides, which is really sad when the star ratings amount to so little in each week's newsletter. And if you don't WANT to listen to Meltzer or read his stuff, that's perfectly fine, but don't pretend to know what he's really saying just because Reddit or Ringside News picked one sentence out of 100,000 words to post that week.
famicommander wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:43 am According to Meltzer the only 5 star match of Danielson's career took place this year in AEW.

50? Come on man. You can argue he should have had 5 star matches before, and you SHOULD because the Morishima and KENTA matches were and pick any Nigel match and it's basically that, but there's no way he's had 50 matches that are better than his one with Omega.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Montana wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:53 am
kovs27 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:18 am
Yeah, like something has to be up. PCO & Rush basically saying they are free agents; No plans other than recording the minimum TV & Final Battle this year. Barely any free agents signings. My guess is they will get to the 20 year anniversary.... but like they just don't seemed concerned/ or any sense of urgency. Although they do seem to be pushing the new women's division, so who knows.

If that doesn't speak volumes, i don't know what else to say. I'd love to hear him explain how that has been the best match Danielson ever had.
It's hilarious to go back and look at star ratings to some all time classics rated a 4 or 4.25 and now see 10 min multi man tv matches getting a minimum 4 stars every week.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

DougN wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:09 am
kovs27 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:18 am If we can't have a conversation without acknowledging that Meltzer shows favor to people who are his sources and particular wrestlers that he prefers to watch then why even bother? There is 35 years of evidence that clearly shows he does. I'm not even saying it's a bad thing but to pretend that Meltzer will go easier on AEW, just like he has on New Japan in recent years is ridiculous. With that being said you shouldn't be following "wrestling journalists" word as gospel anyway as companies over that same time period have fed him false information to hide surprises or wrestlers using him to air their grudges.
This is where people completely lose me. What do you mean easy on New Japan in recent years? He's been sounding the alarm on the company for years in that they haven't invested in the youth and all their top guys are old. He's been critical of the EVIL booking the past year. But because he gives them great star ratings, that must mean he just goes easy on them. I mean, there was even the infamous Naito-Ibushi match where he spent legit 15 minutes talking about how reckless and dangerous it is for the business and New Japan should tone it down.

You're either not listening/reading to Meltzer or you're just choosing star ratings over any business and trend criticism he provides, which is really sad when the star ratings amount to so little in each week's newsletter. And if you don't WANT to listen to Meltzer or read his stuff, that's perfectly fine, but don't pretend to know what he's really saying just because Reddit or Ringside News picked one sentence out of 100,000 words to post that week.

50? Come on man. You can argue he should have had 5 star matches before, and you SHOULD because the Morishima and KENTA matches were and pick any Nigel match and it's basically that, but there's no way he's had 50 matches that are better than his one with Omega.
Omega vs Danielson was a dead ass average match by Danielson's ROH standards.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:23 pm

Backtracking
Where I met you
Pistol packing
Itchy finger
Trigger happy
Try to trap me
Bad rap
Wiretap me
Back-stab me
Break the faith
Fall from grace
Tell me lies
Time flies
Close your eyes
Come with me

Again..nothing to do with money...tony can pull them out whenever he needs. Keep simping for AEW..it's a free country, for now.

The best part of this take is Tony is like this mafia don that can just demand something be printed while these reporters get nothing in return like even a free comp ticket. It's amusing to be this out of touch.

"A free country for now" thanks Tucker.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:12 pm

Backtracking
Where I met you
Pistol packing
Itchy finger
Trigger happy
Try to trap me
Bad rap
Wiretap me
Back-stab me
Break the faith
Fall from grace
Tell me lies
Time flies
Close your eyes
Come with me

The best part of this take is Tony is like this mafia don that can just demand something be printed while these reporters get nothing in return like even a free comp ticket. It's amusing to be this out of touch.

I said he kisses their asses but you ignored that part. And i knew the "for now" part would get a rise from you. It's why i put it. You are predictable
AnHonorableMention

How is this a fact based statement?
BurningHammer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:50 am I think people forget what made ROH special in the first place talent had slowly been building a reputation a close knit fan base that then grew organically with exposure and presentation that helped everyone. ROH needs to do that again.
Hard to do that when nobody cares as much as fans used to. I remember this guy, John, from the UK, got the logo tattoo before attending the first UK show. It was a big deal. Now it's just not because those in charge view ROH as cheap programming where everyone is replaceable. "We'll make our own history".

Meltzer's star ratings and opinions are exactly that, opinions. He's not drawing these star numbers based on science, he's doing so based on his view of the match. I think Joe and Kobashi is the greatest match of ALL TIME. If you told it me it was Great Khali vs. Mabel, I'd chalk it up to enjoying different styles. The lone difference between my view of the Joe match, your view of the Khali match, and Meltzer's view of any match is we are 3 different people with different mind sets. As soon as you people can figure out his star ratings are not the end all be all, life will be a lot simpler.

As for ROH's approach. They've lost money every year of being in business with two exceptions. That's what happens when you don't invest outside of your comfort zone and alienate your core die hard fan base.
Shanahan wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:22 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:12 pm

I said he kisses their asses but you ignored that part. And i knew the "for now" part would get a rise from you. It's why i put it. You are predictable
Yeah pretty sure Tony kissing someone's ass does not equate to adequate return for favorable press. If that were the case NXT 2.0 would be getting the highest of praise when you consider how many people working there are on the horn with Mike Johnson, Sean Ross Sapp and Dave Meltzer.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

According to variety vip roh is behind wwe and aew when it came to viewership in the last month
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:32 pm According to variety vip roh is behind wwe and aew when it came to viewership in the last month
Source? Context?
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

famicommander wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:39 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:32 pm According to variety vip roh is behind wwe and aew when it came to viewership in the last month
Source? Context?
there a chart in the article
https://variety.com/vip/vince-mcmahon-i ... 235083103/
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Okay, so this is the percentage of people that have watched these shows within the last month who are 18+.

What this doesn't tell us is how many total viewers, nor how many are over the key demo age of 49.

Also this very obviously combines TV and streaming numbers so apples to apples comparisons are hard.

Given the demo ratings and the discrepancies between those percentages, it should be clear from the chart that WWE skews extremely old and AEW skews extremely young.

Very likely that ROH and Impact have old skews too.