AEW Discussion

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
Montana

Re: AEW Discussion

Post by Montana »

famicommander wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:01 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0OaSDmwDRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL3PeCCh2s

Chris Jericho botches more than Jack Evans at this point
This is pretty sad. I can't believe AEW hasn't had more injuries; and surprised they haven't addressed this a while back. Botching is one thing, and it happens... and how to you react to it something else. AEW has to get better at keeping the wrestlers safe, and if/when a botch happens, try and make it looks as least fake as possible.

I know AEW fans probably don't want to hear this, but they need a wrestling/training/development school, and they need to limit more of the content that is out there. It's cool they signed 100 wrestlers, but the problem is that most of them aren't used to working with each other. They have to limit the wrestlers that are TV & Youtube ready. That's when you get a lot of miscommunication and botches with guys unfamiliar with each other.

I'm pretty sure you can't find 100 ROH botches worse than these in 20 years; let alone only 2 years of AEW. Even Impact had it's fair share of botches, but this is ridiculous.

The latest with Sammy and MJF... a simple leapfrog they couldn't get right. This is what happens when you have guys that are trying to wrestle beyond their skill level. They are thinking about the 15 other spots in the match, and mess up on the basics.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

It's not a wrestling school or developmental issue when you have guys in their 30s, 40s, 50s botching every episode.

There's no quality control and AEW fans will not, under any circumstances, acknowledge when their product is terrible. Their first reaction is to defend, their second reaction is to deflect by mentioning something even stupider they once saw on WWE.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

AEW with over 1,000,000 viewers this past episode. I guess people don’t care about botches too much. Weird??
Montana

Post by Montana »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:53 pm AEW with over 1,000,000 viewers this past episode. I guess people don’t care about botches too much. Weird??
That... OR some people are tuning in to see the botches.

As for this weeks Dynamite; seemed like folks loved the show. I thought it was average for AEW; but the crowd was super hot; which made it more interesting. They popped for like any/every move by Ricky Starks; which i guess lives in Austin, TX, which i found out after... so that made more sense now.

As for the Hangman / Kenny match up; i guess they are building it up pretty well thus far. I hated how they dropped the ball on hangman for 6 months; and just like OK; he's #1 contender now; but whatever.

I almost fee like it's too soon for Hangman to win; but we'll see. I feel like that's the money match for AEW; they've been building for years. Not sure what else for future big shows would headline. I'm sure Andrade/Miro will be major players (as JR would say) for them.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:53 pm AEW with over 1,000,000 viewers this past episode. I guess people don’t care about botches too much. Weird??
It's almost like nobody made any correlation at all between in-ring quality and financial success. Which is why WWE is still insanely successful in the first place.

AEW's product is fucking ridiculously bad. I never said that meant it would fail financially. WWE is proof that bad wrestling sells. But the whole point of AEW was to be an alternative to WWE, but instead they're an alternative WWE. Their product is indistinguishable from WWE.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

There are internal rumors in WWE that Bryan Danielson may be expected to sign with AEW. Obviously nothing solid.

Honestly I wish Bryan all the best wherever he goes; I hope he gets paid well and retires with his health intact when he's ready.

That said, I have absolutely no desire to see him in AEW or WWE anymore. ROH is the only promotion putting on matches worthy of his talent and it's extremely unlikely they could afford him.

I have absolutely no desire to see him in there with Roman fuckin' Reigns ever again. I don't want to see him putting over that botch machine Miro. I don't want to see him in stupid fucking cinematic matches or an endless feud with a 60 year old manager.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:42 am There are internal rumors in WWE that Bryan Danielson may be expected to sign with AEW. Obviously nothing solid.

Honestly I wish Bryan all the best wherever he goes; I hope he gets paid well and retires with his health intact when he's ready.

That said, I have absolutely no desire to see him in AEW or WWE anymore. ROH is the only promotion putting on matches worthy of his talent and it's extremely unlikely they could afford him.

I have absolutely no desire to see him in there with Roman fuckin' Reigns ever again. I don't want to see him putting over that botch machine Miro. I don't want to see him in stupid fucking cinematic matches or an endless feud with a 60 year old manager.
Signing with AEW would maximize his money while allowing him to work elsewhere.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

kovs27 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:28 am
famicommander wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:42 am There are internal rumors in WWE that Bryan Danielson may be expected to sign with AEW. Obviously nothing solid.

I don't care where he works if it's not ROH. Get paid and have fun, retire with your health, but I ain't watching him do some bad Raw skit with Chris Jericho. I ain't watching him job to Big Cass like poor Eddie Edwards.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:49 am

I don't care where he works if it's not ROH. Get paid and have fun, retire with your health, but I ain't watching him do some bad Raw skit with Chris Jericho. I ain't watching him job to Big Cass like poor Eddie Edwards.
But it would allow you to see Danielson in Japan or Mexico, possibly some other companies that play nice with AEW.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

kovs27 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:12 am
famicommander wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:49 am

But it would allow you to see Danielson in Japan or Mexico, possibly some other companies that play nice with AEW.
I don't watch CMLL anymore and I barely watch NJPW. If he has some great matches in NJPW I'll definitely watch them after the fact but I don't think there's anything that could make me follow NJPW regularly these days. Just too much content bloat.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Rosa signed too, and possibly CM Punk.

Andrade, Black, Rosa, Danielson, and possibly Punk. Can't hate on that from any angle. I just wish the product were better.
roacheyyy

Post by roacheyyy »

Not sure how much of their audience is like this, but I'm past the point of wanting a company to be perfect from an in-ring standpoint (which I consider ROH's golden age to be). I'm just in the market for fun wrestling, which is what I'm getting from AEW more than anywhere else these days
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

roacheyyy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:17 pm Not sure how much of their audience is like this, but I'm past the point of wanting a company to be perfect from an in-ring standpoint (which I consider ROH's golden age to be). I'm just in the market for fun wrestling, which is what I'm getting from AEW more than anywhere else these days
How does one define fun? Because I don't expect AEW to be perfect either. But I expect some degree of in-ring professionalism and some degree of coherent booking, which AEW has neither of.
Montana

Post by Montana »

famicommander wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:54 am
roacheyyy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:17 pm Not sure how much of their audience is like this, but I'm past the point of wanting a company to be perfect from an in-ring standpoint (which I consider ROH's golden age to be). I'm just in the market for fun wrestling, which is what I'm getting from AEW more than anywhere else these days
How does one define fun? Because I don't expect AEW to be perfect either. But I expect some degree of in-ring professionalism and some degree of coherent booking, which AEW has neither of.
Just because you don't like something; doesn't mean you should try and ruin it for others.

Clearly over a million people "like" AEW; while unfortunately ROH is only in the thousands. Clearly AEW must be doing something right that the fans... and ROH must be doing something wrong; that the fans don't. (Or burnt the bridge years ago)

I'm not saying those million of people are right... but think a lot of it comes down to effort.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Montana wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:17 pm
famicommander wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:54 am
Just because you don't like something; doesn't mean you should try and ruin it for others.

Clearly over a million people "like" AEW; while unfortunately ROH is only in the thousands. Clearly AEW must be doing something right that the fans... and ROH must be doing something wrong; that the fans don't. (Or burnt the bridge years ago)

I'm not saying those million of people are right... but think a lot of it comes down to effort.
Famico is the ultimate 1% wrestling fan!!! Thinks he’s a “know it all smart” fan. Reads dirt sheets all day. Presents his own opinion as fact. Watches almost all the product, or gives the illusion he does. Craps on wrestlers/promotions he dislikes based on dirt sheet rumors, never from first hand experience. Thinks everything should be perfect according to his own universe.

He is the 1% that wrestling companies don’t listen to. Watch what you like, ignore people who try to bring down the things you like.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

WWE's continued dominance should dispel any notion of a causal link between good wrestling and financial success.

Characters randomly turning heel just because they need to fill out a card is shit booking no matter how many times it works out for them. Kingston and Penta turn more often than 2000s Big Show
Montana

Post by Montana »

WWE's financial success is based on being the sports leader and dominating for years/decades. The presentation, understanding "star power", distribution, psychology, and i seriously think anything storyline/product related is relatively LOW on their priority list. AEW is proof; with money (hundreds of millions) you can start a major pro wrestling company. Anyone can put on "good wrestling". Giving wrestlers a good wage; and creative control, will attract many wrestlers.

AEW seems to have no limits at the moment; as to how much they want to spend to sign the top talent. I wish wonder over the next 5 years will their roster continue to expand or what. AEW hasn't released/ or not resign many folks. At what point they stop, i'm not sure. Seems pretty high risk to me; but can't argue with any of these signings... it's the low card/indy guys that are super cheap, they probably don't need to sign. I almost wonder if AEW will do a brand split at some point.

From just the wrestling standpoint; Ring of Honor imo; is on par with these companies. ROH lacks and doesn't seem to have any interest in the distribution, and star power angle. AEW has both of those as well, but lack the polish/oversight/presentation. Thus AEW priorities are much different than WWE; almost the opposite.

I still think Smackdown is the best all around wrestling TV show today; and I prefer watching AEW Dynamite; due to an unpredictable nature. I enjoy ROH live events, the most, and the 1 hour TV product is good; but need either need more time; or use their time better... in terms of a TV product. But everyone likes a different mix of entertainment and wrestling. I try to enjoy the companies for what they are. Like i don't expect WWE to provide fresh matchups every week. I dont expect , inexperienced AEW wrestlers, in the ring with other inexperienced wrestlers, not to botch. I don't expect ROH to do long promos in the ring.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Well.. that was a dyanmite.

Was the big surprise announcement literally just that they are filming a Rampage show in Chicago at the united center?!? Thought they already announced a handful of events in the Chicago area.

Nick Gage; where to start. Guess i'll start with this being the first true full match i've seen from him; as i don't enjoy garbage wrestling. But certainly familiar with his name/clips/stories the last decade or so. So much wrong with this whole segment. First up; Nick Gage seriously looks/act like someone with brain damage/ mentally challenged. Like he couldn't even run the ropes right. So not only did AEW thought it would be a good idea to have this slow, mentally handicap wrestler on the show; they put him in a death match... and i'm sure it was toned down, but still. With cancel culture and advertisers; having a bloody death match live on TNT seems like a bad idea. Then, you put him in there with Chris Jericho; and legend... thank god he didn't get seriously injured/hurt. Not like they couldn't just an easily threw Janela at him or something. The 4th thing wrong with this segment; is they have Aubrey Edwards as the referee. (Believe thats her name).... Not only does it seems unreasonable her can control a death match, from the viewer perspective; she's probably one of their LEAST experienced referee's. For Example; she's pounding his hands into the mat; directly into shattered glass; and no reaction. "Glass" is flying all around. Again, i'm sure this is quite a watered down death match; but why bother. Why put Nick Gage, someone who's never been on your show, in the main event; against your biggest name.. and have him dominate 80% of the match.

As AEW is getting all this incredible talent with guys like Miro, Andrade; Black and potentially Daneilson/Punk... Why go this route? Especially, when its already known for being a "sloppy shop" , injury heavy promotion.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Montana wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:53 am Well.. that was a dyanmite.

Was the big surprise announcement literally just that they are filming a Rampage show in Chicago at the united center?!? Thought they already announced a handful of events in the Chicago area.

Nick Gage; where to start. Guess i'll start with this being the first true full match i've seen from him; as i don't enjoy garbage wrestling. But certainly familiar with his name/clips/stories the last decade or so. So much wrong with this whole segment. First up; Nick Gage seriously looks/act like someone with brain damage/ mentally challenged. Like he couldn't even run the ropes right. So not only did AEW thought it would be a good idea to have this slow, mentally handicap wrestler on the show; they put him in a death match... and i'm sure it was toned down, but still. With cancel culture and advertisers; having a bloody death match live on TNT seems like a bad idea. Then, you put him in there with Chris Jericho; and legend... thank god he didn't get seriously injured/hurt. Not like they couldn't just an easily threw Janela at him or something. The 4th thing wrong with this segment; is they have Aubrey Edwards as the referee. (Believe thats her name).... Not only does it seems unreasonable her can control a death match, from the viewer perspective; she's probably one of their LEAST experienced referee's. For Example; she's pounding his hands into the mat; directly into shattered glass; and no reaction. "Glass" is flying all around. Again, i'm sure this is quite a watered down death match; but why bother. Why put Nick Gage, someone who's never been on your show, in the main event; against your biggest name.. and have him dominate 80% of the match.

As AEW is getting all this incredible talent with guys like Miro, Andrade; Black and potentially Daneilson/Punk... Why go this route? Especially, when its already known for being a "sloppy shop" , injury heavy promotion.
In Nick Gage's defense, 20 years of death matches take a toll on the body. Plus he had an awesome death match with Matt Cardona (yes, Zack Ryder) on Saturday night. Nick really should be spacing out his matches more but I'm sure he couldn't pass on the opportunity to wrestle Jericho on cable tv.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Jericho is absurdly bad.

Sorry but you can count the number of good matches he has had post-WWE on one hand, and that includes NJPW.