Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by famicommander »

Familiar faces returning?

I hope it's someone like Chris Hero or Homicide.
Montana

Post by Montana »

From this weeks Eck files

"I’m hearing there’s likely to be some familiar faces returning for the upcoming 19th Anniversary pay-per-view. The date of the show will be announced soon."

No clue on that. Could be a tag team, since it's more than one... or might be two singles wrestlers.

Also it looks like Sledge vs. O Shay is going to be on week by week on not ROH TV.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Montana wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:35 pm From this weeks Eck files

"I’m hearing there’s likely to be some familiar faces returning for the upcoming 19th Anniversary pay-per-view. The date of the show will be announced soon."

No clue on that. Could be a tag team, since it's more than one... or might be two singles wrestlers.

Also it looks like Sledge vs. O Shay is going to be on week by week on not ROH TV.
I like that they are having new matches on Week by Week.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Wish they could book that Past vs. Present show again this year. Was looking forward to the Anniversary weekend last year then right when they guys flew in and were ready to do their thing ROH became a victim of the pandemic
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

They should wait for Past vs Present until they can have fans and certain talent that may be travel-restricted due to the pandemic. Doing a nostalgia card with no crowd seems hollow.
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

dhads7161 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:45 pm Wish they could book that Past vs. Present show again this year. Was looking forward to the Anniversary weekend last year then right when they guys flew in and were ready to do their thing ROH became a victim of the pandemic
I was really looking forward to that card, but it feels like a different ROH now. The five years preceding the relaunch was all about who's in the match, the outcome was treated like it was irrelevant. That's why we had years of Bullet Club shenanigans, years of ROH losing constantly to NJPW guys, and, consequently, years of fans not caring about the outcomes of matches.

ROH has reset away from that approach, presumably because special attractions are hard to come by with the pandemic and so many talents are signed elsewhere. The product now is about wins and losses. I'm not sure it's the best approach to grow the company, but I like it, it's different, and it's, in some ways, attraction-proof. They've already done more to build up guys like Woods, Shane Taylor, and Tracy in the relaunch than they did in all of 2019. And, if someone leaves, that's okay, because what you're supposed to care about is who the champions are. So, no longer does the ROH championship take a back seat to something like a BTE story, like at Supercard in 2018.

ROH in 2021 feels like the Moneyball Oakland A's to me. The roster is filled with guys who are undervalued because they don't fit the mold of a wrestler in a larger promotion. I think Gresham is the best technical wrestler in the world at the moment, he's got an interesting character with "The Foundation", but he's always going to be limited by his size. Josh Woods is an awesome grappling wrestler but he's terrible w/ promos. ROH is getting way more out guys like them than any other promotion would and that's encouraging. I doubt either will sell tickets like Kenny Omega, Cody, etc... but they're likely to remain loyal to ROH and are putting on a product fans can get into.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Interesting to see who they bring back, unlikely to be anyone big as it would be much better to have them as a surprise instead of telegraphing it as they are. I’m unsure as to the travel restrictions currently from in and outside the states but I wonder if it could be some of the international talent.

Also happy to see Week by Week hosting matches, though I think you could just have them separately on YouTube.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

famicommander wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:59 pm They should wait for Past vs Present until they can have fans and certain talent that may be travel-restricted due to the pandemic. Doing a nostalgia card with no crowd seems hollow.
so..2022?
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

monster mafia wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:35 pm
famicommander wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:59 pm They should wait for Past vs Present until they can have fans and certain talent that may be travel-restricted due to the pandemic. Doing a nostalgia card with no crowd seems hollow.
so..2022?
so be it...that show is all about being able to cheer and show respect for the past guys who paved the way...with no fans it loses all meaning
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

maybe from now on it becomes a tradition for every year.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think they'll be able to have fans before 2022. By mid-summer the majority of the country should be vaccinated and/or have already contracted and recovered from COVID.

If they simply didn't care like AEW or BKFC they could just throw some cards together in Florida and have fans tomorrow (of course I'm glad they're not doing that).
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Ban Amy Rose from joining Ian & Caprice.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'm not holding my breathe on any shows in 2021 for ROH. My state is super strict; but they are already saying that the vaccine's don't cover all the newer strains of the virus.. and that mask will be mandatory for quite a while.. and that another vaccine will likely need to be taken next year as well, after the first. ... Not to mention; if you've already caught it; you can get it again.

You are right about just going to Florida though, with little to no restrictions; but most midwest states are more strict. States like New York are barren. I don;t see folks flocking into ROH shows this soon. But... who knows. Information is changing almost daily.

My guess is it will come down to if ROH needs to generate more revenue. Otherwise; i see them keeping their current format with TV tapings for 2021. Plus this is Joe Koff call.. and he doesn't even go to the tv tapings; because of his age and the regulations in Baltimore.

I almost wonder if ROH doesn't change up it's touring schedule moving forward. They may focus on a TV/PPV company; and less on the house shows/live events.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Random thoughts...

Holding off on the pat vs present until the 20th year Anniversary show next Feb makes the most sense at this point.

RUSH really needs to be “made” as he could be a cornerstone guy. They need to build someone up, Telegraph the title change, and then have RUSH beat them clean. I know they are “ungovernable” but RUSH needs some marquee wins.

If they can move to getting a little more original content on week-by-week instead of replaying all the same interviews from the tv show, that would be great. There are plenty of people who could use more air time and with it being an online show, self video type content would fly.

The 8 man was laid out great, whoever has been laying out matches recently really gets that proverbial highlight the strength downplay the weakness aspect. The variety in ROH matches in ROH is great right now. Also loving that Gresham has been winning his matches differently.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I can safely safely I never want to see Sledge again, he was as bad as feared if not worse, (Sadler he’s Delirious boy so we’ll be getting more of him) the match simply panned made all the maddening by the worst camera work and general match production I’ve seen. Whoever was filming, cutting this all together should genuinely feel ashamed. The finish also just what are you thinking. Thank goodness this wasn’t in TV all round.

I hope for better for O’Shea in the future as he deserves it.

Also Todd has become a very bad referee, standards has slipped in many areas.
Montana

Post by Montana »

BurningHammer wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:51 am I can safely safely I never want to see Sledge again, he was as bad as feared if not worse, (Sadler he’s Delirious boy so we’ll be getting more of him) the match simply panned made all the maddening by the worst camera work and general match production I’ve seen. Whoever was filming, cutting this all together should genuinely feel ashamed. The finish also just what are you thinking. Thank goodness this wasn’t in TV all round.

Just watched it... I saw your post before watching so i came in with low expectations; and while it wasn't the debut where you would go "wow" look at that guy; he did OK for a dojo caliber match. Compared to ROH standards; he falls a bit short. I did like his size; as i was afraid by looking at him on video, he looked small. Not the case in the ring. 6'4. O'shay looked noticeably better/more ready. I think the ideal O'Shay debut match, is just squashing someone like the world famous CB. Not a big guy vs. big guy match.

The other problem was kinda how the match was laid out; neither was really heel/face. The tension didn't rise towards the end. Starting off slow with a lock up. Noticed the match lacked some heavy strikes. When getting over with a live crowd; those things help. Could have used a bit more intensity for sure. I'd probably prefer to throw Sledge in like a tag team or Trio for a bit.

Todd is the least of ROHs concerns.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I like the graphics for championship edition of roh happening at the end of the month
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:07 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:51 am I can safely safely I never want to see Sledge again, he was as bad as feared if not worse, (Sadler he’s Delirious boy so we’ll be getting more of him) the match simply panned made all the maddening by the worst camera work and general match production I’ve seen. Whoever was filming, cutting this all together should genuinely feel ashamed. The finish also just what are you thinking. Thank goodness this wasn’t in TV all round.

Just watched it... I saw your post before watching so i came in with low expectations; and while it wasn't the debut where you would go "wow" look at that guy; he did OK for a dojo caliber match. Compared to ROH standards; he falls a bit short. I did like his size; as i was afraid by looking at him on video, he looked small. Not the case in the ring. 6'4. O'shay looked noticeably better/more ready. I think the ideal O'Shay debut match, is just squashing someone like the world famous CB. Not a big guy vs. big guy match.

The other problem was kinda how the match was laid out; neither was really heel/face. The tension didn't rise towards the end. Starting off slow with a lock up. Noticed the match lacked some heavy strikes. When getting over with a live crowd; those things help. Could have used a bit more intensity for sure. I'd probably prefer to throw Sledge in like a tag team or Trio for a bit.

Todd is the least of ROHs concerns.
Yep the best thing would have been to do Sledge vs CB, you limit the formers time in the ring, give him someone he can lift and look strong and aggressive against. While O’Shay you put him in there with someone like Horus maybe Woods guys that go in different ways like he O’Shay can but you make him look the more polished wrestler which he is (though he still needs work). It’s this type of match making and booking that is so pathetically easy it’s annoying and in that match, the finish did nothing but make a bad impression, more so when you don’t actually have a time limit clock making you aware of a possible finish which is why in Japan they make sure everybody knows the time in the match, probably including the wrestlers, do they don’t get lost, like I think happened here. Always remember how Taylor and Hendry got caught the same way the match was going well until they undershot their time and kept having to repeat the spot till the time expired which just sucked everything out of the match. I think I would just have a clock for all matches or just never have time limit draws outside of say 30/60 minutes.

He’s really not, he’s a symptom of many things wrong in ROH, his age, his attitude to his job, his time in the company, much like Cruise and a few of the talents it all feels like it’s had it’s time and there needs to be a changing of the guard.

ROH has enough talent waiting in the wings to make a noticeable difference. It’s these little things that I’m noticing more and more the happier I am with the booking and general idea behind the company. Sans the likes of Sledge.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I thought the match was fine for what it was. Edwards has big future. I would throw Sledge in the Righteous as a bodyguard for Vincent until he gets more matches under his belt because i do like his look and size.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Looks like yuta and fred yehi might be joining the foundation given this week episode