Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by famicommander »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:48 pm
famicommander wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:12 pm
thebrettclark wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:51 pm

Nashville was a typical 300-400 from what I’ve seen/heard. St. Louis from pictures looked pretty packed. Not a lot of buzz but you have to start somewhere.
There was one fairly full section of bleachers near the hard camera plus the few around the ring in Nashville. I'd say around 500 total.
Talked to a friend at both shows who gave me the numbers of 435 and 550 as guesses. He’s pretty rock solid on counting crowds. I’d say he’s somewhere in the range of 50 up or down either way. Not great, also Fite tv is a split plus up front cost of travel. This also counteracts honor club. I don’t think outside of the garden they turn a profit on any event from April of 2019 until 2021 at the earliest.
There were definitely way, way, more people at the second show than the first. Probably by a factor of two.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

These two shows are a sign I will hope to watch ROH again soon, there are still a couple of things that are stopping and hope they are done with the soon, the title change was the right one and never should have had to happen in the first place. Unfortunately just the cred of the title I expect to see the title change again this year but I would hope after that rebuilding the legacy of that championship is going to be a main priority.

There is still apart of me that does think this whole Marty business is still lip service and delirious is really still in charge, I just don't understand how you can read the room for the most part and they still have Bully Ray making a mockery of everything, just makes no sense. Then there is WOH tournament just showing a complete lack of awareness for a reboot, unless ROH is going for the this is what it was in the past and have them all loose while a new crop comes and advances showing why ROH should have the women's division I just have no idea why the likes of Sumie and Jenny Rose are anywhere near it. Overall ROH looks to be moving in the right direction again, still needs some roster working but I hope by the end of the year that's been tinckered with enough that it is a set of real credible set of talent.
jhtrewin

Post by jhtrewin »

Thought this was a great weekend of shows. Really happy to see that Rush has the title back.

This is the most exposure I've really had with Slex and I think he looks really good. I've enjoyed his exchanges with Shane Taylor so far, hopefully the feud can keep up the good start.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I’ll preface what I’m about to say with a clarification that I thoroughly enjoyed both shows this weekend, and the direction of travel at present is a clear improvement over 2019

BUT - enjoying the shows I am, I’m really struggling with all the matches I’m looking forward to and guys I want to see getting almost NO time at all. I will concede that I am a dinosaur/relic of the bygone ROH days when countless matches each night would get 20+ minutes but...

Less than 8 minutes for Marty/Slex/Bandido.

Less than 11 minutes for Lethal/Gresh vs 2G1T.

Twelve-ish minutes for Shelley/Horus

Ten minutes for VE vs Briscoes/Slex

Nine minutes for Maff/Shelley or Dragon/Dax

Lethal/Gresh vs Bandido/Horus felt like it ended almost before it got going.

The PCO/Rush/Haskins match was super short too.

Again - I understand I can’t live in Gabe-era ROH forever and shows need to be shorter now. But no match going longer than circa 15 minutes across the weekend? Multiple matches feeling curtailed when they really felt like they were just getting going. We still find time for long ass Bubba Ray Dudley segments. I feel like I’m watching a decent show on fast forward most of the time...

Just something I’m struggling with right now.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

I agree the matches are fairly shorter but its because theyare using them for tv.

Bubba needs to go. It would of been awesome if Eli beat him on Friday. he would of been super over for getting rid of him for good. now he looks like a punk.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I really enjoyed this weekend's shows. Crowds were hot, shows were fun and super easy-watch, talent looked motivated and the in-ring work was good, despite me having the same feeling than McXal regarding the duration, which really surprised me because both everything on both Final Battle and Free Enterprise got plenty of time.

Btw, I really liked Brian Zane's work doing color comentary on Sunday, he could be a really good addition to the table in the future with more work. Also, the crowd for Saturday Night looked great:

[image]http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go& ... 9tAlKe.jpg[/image]

Booking-wise, I think 2020 has been, as of right now, better than 2019, with La Faccion Ingobernable vs. Villain Enterprises being my favourite thing going. I think this storyline has helped Rush and Dragon Lee a lot, specially the last of these two, who is really starting to grow between the ROH audience in the States.

I'd say Bound By Honor had the better matches, but I liked Gateway to Honor more, maybe because it was a more consistent show, without low points.

Only bad thing for me right now is, as always, the f'n Bully Ray. He's super boring and all his promos are just too long. At least this looks like the end for him in ROH. One last program doing his shit on the shows, then Maria comes back and destroys him in Supercard of Honor or BITW and then we will be able to enjoy shows without him, I wish.

ROH Bound By Honor

Marty Scurll vs. Slex vs. Bandido ⭐⭐⭐1/2

Bateman & Vincent vs. Dalton Castle & Joe Hendry vs. Brian Johnson & PJ Black vs. Lifeblood (Mark Haskins & Tracy Williams) ⭐⭐⭐

Villain Enterprises (Brody King & Flip Gordon) vs. La Faccion Ingobernable (Kenny King & Rush) ⭐⭐⭐1/4+

Jay Lethal & Jonathan Gresham (c) vs. 2 Guys 1 Tag (Josh Woods & Silas Young) ⭐⭐⭐1/2

Alex Shelley vs. Rey Horus ⭐⭐⭐1/2

Dan Maff & Jeff Cobb vs. The Briscoes ⭐⭐⭐⭐-

PCO (c) vs. Dragon Lee ⭐⭐⭐3/4

Final Rating: 7 / 10.

ROH Gateway to Honor

Slex & Briscoes vs. Scurll, Brody & Flip ⭐⭐⭐3/4+

Maff vs. Shelley ⭐⭐⭐1/2

Righteous vs. 2 Guys 1 Tag ⭐⭐3/4

Castle vs. Cobb vs. Kenny vs. Williams ⭐⭐⭐1/2

Dragon Lee (c) vs. Drak Drapper ⭐⭐⭐1/4

Lethal & Gresham vs. Bandido & Horus ⭐⭐⭐3/4

PCO (c) vs. Rush vs. Haskins ⭐⭐⭐1/4+

Final Rating: 7/10.

The road to 18th Anniversary is over and I'm pretty hyped for the PPV, which has a really strong card. Wish the TV format was different, though, because since I watch every Honor Club show, I don't feel like watching ROH TV give me something new.
Last edited by AlexROH on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

AlexROH wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:20 am I really enjoyed this weekend's shows. Crowds were hot, shows were fun and super easy-watch, talent looked motivated and the in-ring work was good, despite me having the same feeling than McXal regarding the duration, which really surprised me because both everything on both Final Battle and Free Enterprise got plenty of time.

Btw, I really liked Brian Zane's work doing color comentary on Sunday, he could be a really good addition to the table in the future with more work. Also, the crowd for Saturday Night looked great:

[image]https://i.imgur.com/Z9tAlKe.jpg[/image]

Booking-wise, I think 2020 has been, as of right now, better than 2019, with La Faccion Ingobernable vs. Villain Enterprises being my favourite thing going. I think this storyline has helped Rush and Dragon Lee a lot, specially the last of these two, who is really starting to grow between the ROH audience in the States.

I'd say Bound By Honor had the better matches, but I liked Gateway to Honor more, maybe because it was a more consistent show, without low points.

Only bad thing for me right now is, as always, the f'n Bully Ray. He's super boring and all his promos are just too long. At least this looks like the end for him in ROH. One last program doing his shit on the shows, then Maria comes back and destroys him in Supercard of Honor or BITW and then we will be able to enjoy shows without him, I wish.

ROH Bound By Honor

Marty Scurll vs. Slex vs. Bandido ⭐⭐⭐1/2

Bateman & Vincent vs. Dalton Castle & Joe Hendry vs. Brian Johnson & PJ Black vs. Lifeblood (Mark Haskins & Tracy Williams) ⭐⭐⭐

Villain Enterprises (Brody King & Flip Gordon) vs. La Faccion Ingobernable (Kenny King & Rush) ⭐⭐⭐1/4+

Jay Lethal & Jonathan Gresham (c) vs. 2 Guys 1 Tag (Josh Woods & Silas Young) ⭐⭐⭐1/2

Alex Shelley vs. Rey Horus ⭐⭐⭐1/2

Dan Maff & Jeff Cobb vs. The Briscoes ⭐⭐⭐⭐-

PCO (c) vs. Dragon Lee ⭐⭐⭐3/4

Final Rating: 7 / 10.

ROH Gateway to Honor

Slex & Briscoes vs. Scurll, Brody & Flip ⭐⭐⭐3/4+

Maff vs. Shelley ⭐⭐⭐1/2

Righteous vs. 2 Guys 1 Tag ⭐⭐3/4

Castle vs. Cobb vs. Kenny vs. Williams ⭐⭐⭐1/2

Dragon Lee (c) vs. Drak Drapper ⭐⭐⭐1/4

Lethal & Gresham vs. Bandido & Horus ⭐⭐⭐3/4

PCO (c) vs. Rush vs. Haskins ⭐⭐⭐1/4+

Final Rating: 7/10.

The road to 18th Anniversary is over and I'm pretty hyped for the PPV, which has a really strong card. Wish the TV format was different, though, because since I watch every Honor Club show, I don't feel like watching ROH TV give me something new.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Overall I was happy with the shows and how they went, but Bully thing is getting out of hand. He is beating up multiple people and talking trash to everyone... and the endgame is what? For Manic to beat him? Who cares, this is way past its sale date.

And I'm super happy that PCO is out of the title picture.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Flip gordon was officially announced to be challenging for the title Supercard of honor
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 4533797892

Tasha Steelz is back for the Women's tournament.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

kovs27 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:53 pm https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 4533797892

Tasha Steelz is back for the Women's tournament.
Next, Thunder Rosa....The Double Champ we all deserve.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

If Rosa comes back, hopefully ROH+NWA can pay her enough that she doesn't have to auction off memorabilia to fix her car... that was really sad to see a few weeks back.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 4227110912

Marty brings back the Pure title, Marty wants to win the Pure title.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Remember that time Jeff Jarrett booked himself in the Jeff Jarrett Match to win the Jeff Jarrett Championship (it was the TNA King of the Mountain title in a KOTM match), sparking an interpromotional feud between Jeff Jarrett's old promotion and Jeff Jarrett's new Cash for Gold schem.... I mean promotion?
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

famicommander wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:53 pm
famicommander wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:12 pm

There was one fairly full section of bleachers near the hard camera plus the few around the ring in Nashville. I'd say around 500 total.
Talked to a friend at both shows who gave me the numbers of 435 and 550 as guesses. He’s pretty rock solid on counting crowds. I’d say he’s somewhere in the range of 50 up or down either way. Not great, also Fite tv is a split plus up front cost of travel. This also counteracts honor club. I don’t think outside of the garden they turn a profit on any event from April of 2019 until 2021 at the earliest.
There were definitely way, way, more people at the second show than the first. Probably by a factor of two.

Were you there? I am going off of someone who was.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:19 pm

No, I was not there. But watch the shows. There seemed to be more people in just the cheap seats at St Louis than the whole show at Nashville. Unless there was a hidden cache of people that never made it into a shot in Nashville.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

"He’s pretty rock solid on counting crowds"

hahahahahaahahahah
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Pure tittle tournament participants so far..

DOUG WILLIAMS
JONATHAN GRESHAM
ALEX SHELLEY
ROCKY ROMERO
MARK HASKINS
SLEX
TRACY WILLIAMS
MARTY SCURLL

ROH WOMEN’S WORLD TITLE TOURNAMENT Participants so far..

SUMIE SAKAI
KELLYANNE
ANGELINA LOVE
NICOLE SAVOY
KATARINA
JENNY ROSE
SESSION MOTH MARTINA
TASHA STEELZ
MANDY LEON
AnHonorableMention

famicommander wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:21 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:19 pm

No, I was not there. But watch the shows. There seemed to be more people in just the cheap seats at St Louis than the whole show at Nashville. Unless there was a hidden cache of people that never made it into a shot in Nashville.
I have not seen the shows yet but I’m not gonna bother guessing crowds I’m terrible at it.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

monster mafia wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:57 am "He’s pretty rock solid on counting crowds"

hahahahahaahahahah
Considering his job is to manage live events for a living inside a venue, I’d say he’s pretty good. Not everyone is only qualified to work drive thru with assistance like yourself.
Captain Podcast