ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
BurningHammer

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:37 am
BurningHammer wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:03 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:23 pm

I'm definitely not putting the mentality of recreating the past with present talent Cobb/Joe. However, the cool factor was there from the getgo like Joe, it needed kid gloves from booking and management to grow. It never did for whatever reasons, booking, Taven fascination, willingness to deviate from a plan, etc. It's not necessarily about IQ or being the gold standard but in a company where everything feels lesser than Cobb was a guy putting the effort in. More than anyone on the G1 show, he put forth the most effort for ROH guys.

Look at it like this, who from current ROH fits in with AEW? Cobb, Bandido, Scurll, Haskins, Lethal, Briscoes, King, that's about it. Really makes me sad.
Overall there are probably only the same amount maybe less that I would take from AEW. There best quality outweigh's ROH but overall, I am more connected to more wrestlers in ROH that I am with AEW.

I think seven wrestlers from a roster that allready has multiple people who have been through ROH is a lot quite frankly, apart from two or three guys It's starting ROH's roster is become a well rounded, it needs some youth and better quality in certain areas, especially in the main event scene but it wouldn't take a lot to push a couple of people up the ladder into bigger spots.
Completely agree. AEW is toeing the line of WWE lite. They’ve got great talent, BUT almost everyone was better else where. Omega -njpw, Bucks -ROh, Pac-wwe/dg, moxley -Wwe , Jericho -Wwe, lax-impact, Etc

I will say Rhodes as a character and on the mic are very good, but his in ring matches are still mostly average.

If ROH makes a push and keeps a lot of its current talent, they will be on par with Aew... minus the ex-Wwe mainstream Stars moxley, Jericho.

It sucks for ROH to always lose talent, but at least the roster refreshes every 3-4 years.
I think they have fallen short of what they were trying to produce, that might have been down to what I imagine their focus would be. I certainly don't think they have changed the game when it comes to wrestling in general, they are competition to WWE but it's mianly by the numbers more than anything rather than any revolution of what a big company delivers.

I would say Jericho and Cody have more than delivered on their end, the Bucks the same, Penta and Fenix have continued on their journey of best travelling tag team. Moxely has never done it for me and continues to be play act of what he represents, where people see great matches I just don't for whatever reason. PAC always deliveres quality but he doesn't feel a centre piece like he could be. Omega is playing himself more than ever and has been allowed to indulge into avenues that just make him less convincecing than ever. MJF is obviously more than star quality and someone that ROH should have taken two years he is as close to the golden age quality of Indy wrestling there has ever been. Same for Darby Allen and Sammy Guvevera those three have the chance to carry any company for a long time. Everything else for the most part is just doing it's thing and making hay while the sun shines but not much else so far.

I don't think ROH will reach there sort of numbers for at least a couple of years, of what would have to be excellence in all areas and a core roster sticking together, I just don't think it's that possible for ROH right now. They can certainly reach numbers that will be a noticable improvement and a solid foundation.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I don't think ROH will ever reach AEW's current level, but there's no reason they can't get back to where they were a few years ago where they could reasonably expect 1-3K for their bigger shows. It's just going to take time and effort.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I misspoke a bit in my original comment... I meant to say ROH's roster could be on par in terms of talent, to that of AEW... besides the ex-wwe mainstream stars. Assuming they keep their core, and continue to sign some top indy talent. Certainly not in terms of numbers (attendance, fanbase, ratings).
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:44 pm I misspoke a bit in my original comment... I meant to say ROH's roster could be on par in terms of talent, to that of AEW... besides the ex-wwe mainstream stars. Assuming they keep their core, and continue to sign some top indy talent. Certainly not in terms of numbers (attendance, fanbase, ratings).
Ahhh, see what you mean man, I think overall they could certainly get there on that side of things for sure.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

BurningHammer wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:36 pm

I think it can be again, ROH isn't a long way from becoming an attractive option, (from the outside anyway) if the current direction for talent is kept moving forward plus keeping the trend of talent that is being brought in there will be an upward swing it's just about continuing it and making the right decisions constantly now.

Personally I wouldn't say Cobb is anywhere near Joe's level, well maybe Joe now, but in terms of matches he can't touch Joe's calibre. I think this is what annoys the most about bringing up the 'good old days', the level of wrestling IQ and standard back then was so much higher than it is now. There is no one on the Indy scene who is even close to Bryan or AJ and seemingly ROH is meant to be producing that gold standard. It isn't right to compare the two because the quality is years apart and that's throughout the whole Indy scene. That's not say ROH can't improve drastically on area's ROH was very good in, while also selecting better talent, there's just a limit when the old ROH would dwarf any company when it came to wrestling quality back then.

I'm definitely not putting the mentality of recreating the past with present talent Cobb/Joe. However, the cool factor was there from the getgo like Joe, it needed kid gloves from booking and management to grow. It never did for whatever reasons, booking, Taven fascination, willingness to deviate from a plan, etc. It's not necessarily about IQ or being the gold standard but in a company where everything feels lesser than Cobb was a guy putting the effort in. More than anyone on the G1 show, he put forth the most effort for ROH guys.

Look at it like this, who from current ROH fits in with AEW? Cobb, Bandido, Scurll, Haskins, Lethal, Briscoes, King, that's about it. Really makes me sad.
Overall there are probably only the same amount maybe less that I would take from AEW. Their best quality outweigh's ROH but overall, I am more connected to more wrestlers in ROH that I am with AEW.

I think seven wrestlers from a roster that allready has multiple people who have been through ROH is a lot quite frankly, apart from two or three guys ROH's roster is become well rounded, it needs some youth and better quality in certain areas, especially in the main event scene but it wouldn't take a lot to push a couple of people up the ladder into bigger spots.
You’re right it wouldn’t take a lot to rearrange the puzzle pieces but will they? I don’t think so.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:37 amOverall there are probably only the same amount maybe less that I would take from AEW. There best quality outweigh's ROH but overall, I am more connected to more wrestlers in ROH that I am with AEW.

I think seven wrestlers from

Completely agree. AEW is toeing the line of WWE lite. They’ve got great talent, BUT almost everyone was better else where. Omega -njpw, Bucks -ROh, Pac-wwe/dg, moxley -Wwe , Jericho -Wwe, lax-impact, Etc

I will say Rhodes as a character and on the mic are very good, but his in ring matches are still mostly average.
I’ve got to disagree on this heavily. Omega isn’t better than at NJPW but he is different. Tv wrestling is very different than what he did in NJPW. Moxley is a zillion times better now than at WWE. He was arguably the most middle of the road at WWE, here you’re seeing personality that didn’t exist because they couldn’t let it.

Everyone else you mentioned is working better here because they’re doing something for the betterment of the whole, AEW shines in allowing guys to be different and simply work harder. Jericho is doing the best heel work of his career in the worst physical shape. Yes, it’s sports entertainment ish but it’s far better and underproduced than at wwe.
Captain Podcast
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:19 pm

Overall there are probably only the same amount maybe less that I would take from AEW. Their best quality outweigh's ROH but overall, I am more connected to more wrestlers in ROH that I am with AEW.

I think seven wrestlers from a roster that allready has multiple people who have been through ROH is a lot quite frankly, apart from two or three guys ROH's roster is become well rounded, it needs some youth and better quality in certain areas, especially in the main event scene but it wouldn't take a lot to push a couple of people up the ladder into bigger spots.
You’re right it wouldn’t take a lot to rearrange the puzzle pieces but will they? I don’t think so.
Depends, if recent booking is anything to go by I would say moves are being made for this, it really just depends how much value they now finally see in certain talent, if do at all. I would say if anything that has come out from all this Joey stuff is that ROH knows where fans stand on certain talent and what they want from them. I would management has finally had a sit down with talent and they hashed out a lot of shit from each side and we will see a strong direction for a couple of guys.

The way they are promoting PCO as the ultimate good story and heavily laying him out as champ would really give some story to when/if Marty turns on him.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

So it looks like Shelleys going to nxt. Thats a big loss for ROH
SandsShifter

Post by SandsShifter »

indyfan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:14 am So it looks like Shelleys going to nxt. Thats a big loss for ROH
It could be a short run for the Dusty tourney.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I will say that maybe aew needs more time, but completely disagree on most your points.

Jerichos best work has been in wwe. He’s great in AEW, but le champion is no better than the list jericho. The Jericho vs HbK, y2J, Jericho and numerous of major feuds.

Omega being different doesn’t make him better. I just want an omega match, where he doesn’t have a major botch, slip and fall.

Moxley/Ambrose... my opinion, should be a focal point of AEW. I have serious concerns though. 1) in the first two months of tv he’s had like 2 promos. 2). What’s his direction after losing to le champion. I’m not sold AEW has this right. IMO , he should be like the stone cold of AeW. They just haven’t delivered him as that. Moxley wouldn’t be half of a star without Wwe and the shield. Again, AEW is still new so I’ll give it time... but I’m just seeing garbage matches from a lackluster wrestler, and Barely getting promos of what he’s best at.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

At this point aew is overrated

Dark order?
Nightmare collective?

Yikes
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I still don't really enjoy AEW but I will admit the Dark Order stuff is starting to get interesting to me.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

One issue with AEW is it seems like it's the same dozen people on every episode of Dynamite and Dark. They have a big roster but we never see a lot of them.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

We all know if you changed AEW Dynamite to ROH Dynamite it would be ripped as terrible tv wrestling and huge letdown but because its The Elite we have to all act like its good to really good and will only get better.

DDP is involved in a major fued and is having a match next week....yet for last year we had people crying about PCO being too old for ROH. C'mon.
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

Shanahan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:46 pm We all know if you changed AEW Dynamite to ROH Dynamite it would be ripped as terrible tv wrestling and huge letdown but because its The Elite we have to all act like its good to really good and will only get better.

DDP is involved in a major fued and is having a match next week....yet for last year we had people crying about PCO being too old for ROH. C'mon.
DDP isn’t main eventing the biggest ppv of the year for the world title
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Wrestlingisback wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:48 pm
Shanahan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:46 pm We all know if you changed AEW Dynamite to ROH Dynamite it would be ripped as terrible tv wrestling and huge letdown but because its The Elite we have to all act like its good to really good and will only get better.

People complained when PCO was signed and mid carding because he was too old so the "hes main eventing is a problem" is not true. ....the hypocriscy is crazy...PCO has and will continue to be over. Hes been on 99% of shows working hard,doing crazy shit and having fun matches...I'm sorry they arent 4 or 5 star matches....AEW is bringing in 60+ year olds for a major fued (2nd biggest on the show) who havent worked matches in years and we are all supposed to just shut up because its The elite....its BS.
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

Shanahan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:04 pm

People complained when PCO was signed and mid carding because he was too old so the "hes main eventing is a problem" is not true. ....the hypocriscy is crazy...PCO has and will continue to be over. Hes been on 99% of shows working hard,doing crazy shit and having fun matches...I'm sorry they arent 4 or 5 star matches....AEW is bringing in 60+ year olds for a major fued (2nd biggest on the show) who havent worked matches in years and we are all supposed to just shut up because its The elite....its BS.
“ I'm sorry they arent 4 or 5 star matches” doesn’t work with ROH where that is expected. Page is basically brought in to job to the hot heel and his crew. PCO debut in a faction with one of the top stars in the promotion at the time (still is). No comparison imo
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think PCO is fine in the tag/trios division and working your odd hardcore singles match. He works his ass off, he's committed to his gimmick, he'll do crazy stuff for spectacle, he seems to have a great attitude. World Champ is a bridge too far for a guy who wasn't a great wrestler when he was 27 and is now 52, though. Especially in ROH.

But I still think AEW deserves criticism for DDP, too. And the NWA for the RNRE.

There are guys in their 40s and early 50s in high places all over WWE, Impact, ROH, MLW, NJPW, CMLL, AAA, and AEW. It can strain credibility, but it's not unheard of for guys that old to win in real combat sports. Bernard Hopkins unified 2 world boxing titles at 49, then took a prime Sergey Kovalev the distance in a three belt unification loss next time out. George Foreman won the world title for a second time at nearly 46, and didn't lose it until he was 49 and over 300 days old.

But 63? Come on, man.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I can totally understand ROH giving PCO the title as a highlight for all his hard work this year and to cap a career that deserved a lot more. Sometimes title wins are for the boys as much as they are for the company and fans. Should he be the main highlight for ROH or someone to take the company forward, certainly not. It wont be the the greatest move by the company for the value of the title but I hope that this run isn't long and its more a tip of the cap to someone that deserved that moment.

The DDP thing I get especially for AEW and how he connects to the product as a whole, he is the right move for that audience, that though still doesn't negate the fact that ROH gets pillard for a lot of shit that seemingly just gets lapped up in AEW. I mean when we see that someone like Lannie Poffo gets a great amount of encouragement for his moment in AEW yet ROH gets a load of shit for it, there is very much a double standard when it comes to how one company is viewed compared to another. It's natural especially for a new company and who they have in their roles, but there are a lot of things that just I can't like or get into, much like ROH last year they just have a better roster.
AnHonorableMention

Bingo.
Captain Podcast