Final Battle 2019 - Official Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Re: Final Battle 2019 - Official Thread

Post by AlexROH »

PCO is champ... What a stupid move after all the great work with Rush lol
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Expect the Unexpected.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I haven’t watched the show and probably won’t, but on the main event.

RUSH’s deal may have an out clause, so he may well be leaving at the end of the year.

RUSH doesn’t really need the title and it’s a feel good story for PCO similar to Taven, it’s not what I want but sometimes you just have to get these things out of the way.

Also if Marty is staying, a turn on PCO at the TV tapings sets you up for Marty to win in 2020 and that’s well thought out forward booking. The match also can have a good amount of emotion involved, considering the relationship between the too.

The title switch could also smooth any negativity between CMLL.

Overall nearly every decision on the show from what I can see made sense and if certain people are staying then ROH has a great roster and match’s set up for next year.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

You are being too positive lol
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

It was a feel good moment but it sure is weird. I'm trying to wait till see what happens Sunday before really reacting to the change. If it leads to Los Igobernables vs. Villain Enterprises I could live with it.

The rest of the show was quite enjoyable. Crowd was pretty hot all night and I do think this was the best Baltimore crowd in terms of knowing the product.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:40 pm You are being too positive lol
Hahaha! Well considering how negative I have been about ROH I’m surprised myself. It’s still all based around If’s and buts and I’m being very very lenient on this title change. That said if the people are staying then I can see why the change was made overall.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Matt taven did a interview saying people will be happy on what Roh has in store next year
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

They need a lot to go right now, they ended year with a PPV that did mostly all the right things, they carry that on into the TV tapings and announce the right signings they will have a chance next year but they have a massive mountain to climb.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I really enjoyed the show....1 of first world title changes that shocked me from roh in a long time, maybe since dalton beat cody.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Fightful reported colt cabana is wrapped up with Roh tonight
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Some results are rather unexpected, while others check out with that list of who GG is not interested in.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

title change is ok but title change a lot is anxiety.
Montana

Post by Montana »

That sucks about Colt.... Him and Ian made such a good team.

Is it fair to say the following are on the way out.... Marty Scurll, Shane Taylor, Colt Cabana, Brody King, and Rush?!? That sucks.

Hopefully this means Jeff Cobb, and Bandido stay.

My thoughts on the show overall are pretty good. I'd probably rate it 7-8 out of 10. Wasn't a bad match, and all the matches were pretty good - great. Nothing mind blowing. My original concern of having too many "street fights" didn't really affect my liking of the show, as they all were fairly different. Best match is a hard one for me. Taven and Vincent keeps coming to mind.... but i think VE vs. Mexablood, and Briscoes vs. Lethal/Gresham were also very good. Taylor and Dragon Lee was very good too.

2 guys , 1 Tag vs. Dalton/Henry - 3.0
King vs. Titus 3.25 - I was hoping this would be a bit better, and Titus would win. King clearly didn't need a win here. I thought this make lacked the passion it needed.

Maff vs. Jeff Cobb - 3.5 - Jeff Cobb looked pretty pumped tonight. ROH potentially needs him now more than ever! Maff looked great too. Good way to roll into the PPV... BUT they still needed to hype the PPV more on the preshow. The whole point is to get people to buy the PPV. Putting on 3 pretty good matches... not sure that puts it over the top.

Mexablood vs. Villain Enterprises - 3.75 - 4.0 - Don't think it would hurt to give Marty a W on the out, if that is the case.

Vincent - Taven 3.5+ - Great match for what it was. CLose to perfectly done.

Bully vs Haskins 3.25 - Actually fairly good... but ran long. Didn't feel this match put over haskins enough.

Cabana vs. Shelly 3.0 - Didn't catch the whole match, as it was only lik 6 minutes, after bully got like 16-17 minutes

Manic vs. Love - Manic was super impresive... But again this could been like 30 seconds, and not 6-7 minutes as Love really didn't get any offense in. No Mention of WOH, the future or anything. Felt odd.

Dragon Lee vs SHane Taylor - 3.75-4.0 - real good match. Surprised Dragon Lee won, and thought ROH and Taylor would wrok something out. Guess not. I imagine Dragon Lee won't hold the belt long... Draper may get the belt soon??

Briscoes vs. Lethal/Gresham 3.75-4.0 - real good match , but didn't feel like Letahl/Gresham should have won, and if they did,.... it should have been Gresham as the one getting the pin/sub as he's finally won gold. Could have seen the briscoes winning extending the feud too.

PCO vs. Rush 3.5 - Hard match to grade. It was awesome at time... slow at time. I'm pretty sure that hearse/car battery spot was botched. The doors were pretty awesome. The only logical reason i can fathom PCO winning is Rush wiining. I can honestly say i was shocked like many others. For a company that claims the best wrestling on the planet... not sure PCO is the guy that should be the guy at the top. Don't get me wrong... PCO has made me a fan, and he bust his behind. I can't help but think he'll lose the belt soon. He misses like 25% of his matches due to injuries. You have so much talent on the roster... and the one guy they didn't need to be put over, was put over.

As we've said here and other places.... ROH needs a change in management and booking to succeed. This match/show felt more of the same. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't what the company needed to turn the ship. The narrative is about people leaving ROH, a poorly booked show, with a questionable champ now. It really wasn't a bad show at all... but you could tell a big different between the Taven match, which the fans were invested in the storyline/feud compared to the other matches.

The other question is what's next. Assuming Cobb/Bandido resigned... I'd strap them up with the belt ASAP. Guess we'll need to wait another night, but normally Final Battle opens the door a bit, for the future, where as this felt like more doors closed.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

I really believe they have something big for Rush and the TV tapings...
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

Pretty clear the crowd wanted PCO to win and it was the move for the right audience response.
Still, Rush and Dragon Lee with the World and TV title. Lethal and Gresham with the tag and the prospect of having a winner takes all tag match would have been too good to pass up for me.
TV tapings should be interesting to see what direction things are headed-and probably see who’s leaving and who’s staying
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i really dont feel roh short tittle reigns, thats a wwe thing

since o reilly in 2016 short reigns are very common in roh, thats not good.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Judging by what RUSH has said I don’t think he’s leaving, it’s almost suggesting the loss is all part of his plan. Which is an interesting way to see things.

I think for Taylor, Rhett, Cabana, Klein it’s the end, for everyone else i would think everyone is going to be around in some fashion next year.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

cabana is aew bound or what...surprising.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

monster mafia wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:03 am i really dont feel roh short tittle reigns, thats a wwe thing

since o reilly in 2016 short reigns are very common in roh, thats not good.
100% with you on that. 4 title changes in 1 year is too much.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Should have kept the title on RUSH for a lot longer make him unstoppable and then beat him with a redeemed, ready, babyface Taven.