Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Montana »

If I remember correctly.... he had injury setbacks in ROH too. Then shortly after making a big return, he was leaving the company. I really liked him in ROH but at the time he wasn’t a top guy and he shouldn’t have been with the other wrestlers on the roster at the time. He would have needed to string together 1 good healthy year to put him in title contention.

To say, he wasn’t wasn’t worth 20k is foolish though. Especially bad, considering how big of a NXT made him.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

BurningHammer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:44 am Hindsight is a wonderful thing and people will obviously take Ciampa now as the guy they missed out on. That just simply isn’t the case, also would Ciampa be the same guy without what Joe Koff did, what happened during his time at NXT.

ROH was a different place in terms of contract offers and talent available at the time. I’ll knock Koff for a lot but not seeing huge value in Ciampa at the time isn’t one of them. People won’t have a rational thought about this, but would anyone see the Ciampa of then in today. He was a decent wrestler for sure but it’s still taken a lot of time for him to get where he’s got.
Some of this I'll agree with, but it does sure seem like an extraordinary coincidence how much former ROH talent feel like a revelation in different companies.

In 2012, it seemed apparent to a lot of people that Ciampa was being groomed to be a top wrestler. In the coming years, ROH put him on a continual treadmill, which is the process when they put want a ceiling on a wrestler for one reason or another (lately, I'm thinking that booking was like this to leverage against their payscale). It's pretty horrifying to think they wanted him for $20k after all that investment by 2015. I really suspect that they don't give a shit about making stars.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Wilson wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:13 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:44 am Hindsight is a wonderful thing and people will obviously take Ciampa now as the guy they missed out on. That just simply isn’t the case, also would Ciampa be the same guy without what Joe Koff did, what happened during his time at NXT.

ROH was a different place in terms of contract offers and talent available at the time. I’ll knock Koff for a lot but not seeing huge value in Ciampa at the time isn’t one of them. People won’t have a rational thought about this, but would anyone see the Ciampa of then in today. He was a decent wrestler for sure but it’s still taken a lot of time for him to get where he’s got.
Some of this I'll agree with, but it does sure seem like an extraordinary coincidence how much former ROH talent feel like a revelation in different companies.

In 2012, it seemed apparent to a lot of people that Ciampa was being groomed to be a top wrestler. In the coming years, ROH put him on a continual treadmill, which is the process when they put want a ceiling on a wrestler for one reason or another (lately, I'm thinking that booking was like this to leverage against their payscale). It's pretty horrifying to think they wanted him for $20k after all that investment by 2015. I really suspect that they don't give a shit about making stars.
Booking certainly didn’t help him for sure, like a lot of times with Delirious he flip/flopped on where character would go, very much like War Machine and a number of others it takes Delirious too long to find the right time and trajectory for someone, Especially with Mid card guys. Shane Taylor being of the more recent ones. Though I do think it is an area that has improved but only because it was so bad previously.

I think they see value in certain people and in things that we don’t. Say, I imagine they saw more value in Matt Hardy than Ciampa at the time, also wasn’t it at that time that Cole was just starting to get his mojo going. Same for Lethal, Elgin I think. Steen was still there although maybe slightly treading water.

I think Bateman will be the biggest sign of how far things have come with regards to this as he could be the next Ciampa in a good way for ROH. Especially if he himself can get confidence and grow quickly.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

i think people are too hung up on if it was a miss or not. Koff saying that is pathetic...not because it was a huge loss on ROHs part but because its a shit thing to say.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

If only Joe Koff, Greg Gilleland, Hunter Johnston, & Bubba weren't around you'd be surprised how many people will still be around.
Captain Podcast
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

famicommander wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 am I heard a rumor that MLW is losing money and they are looking to take Fusion off Youtube and to a bigger TV network.
Interesting, do you have any sources on this?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Lynx wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:52 pm
famicommander wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 am I heard a rumor that MLW is losing money and they are looking to take Fusion off Youtube and to a bigger TV network.
Interesting, do you have any sources on this?
Not really, I've just seen it repeated a few places.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:47 pm If only Joe Koff, Greg Gilleland, Hunter Johnston, & Bubba weren't around you'd be surprised how many people will still be around.
Wouldn't be surprised at all, if they can run off half the fan base I;m sure it's very possible for them to do it with the men and women that are just considered an amount.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

The site also reports that ROH will continue to get new levels of expansion into the former Fox Sports Net channels that Sinclair Broadcast Group purchased. The current plan is to have ROH TV appear on all the channels on Friday at midnight, which would be the first airing in most markets. Los Angeles and Phoenix are getting ROH for the first time as part of this deal, while Chicago will begin carrying the company in February.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I still haven't seen any ROH programming on Yes Network.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

They only own part of yes network and there supposed be debuting on that chicago cubs channel marquee in February so I'm curious what time slot they get on there
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Hopefully they will put some effort into actually producing a TV show worth watching, which may eventually lead to them being able to sell a decent amount of tickets at their shows. I just looked at the tickets available for the next 4 shows listed and there's still plenty of unsold seats (3rd row still available for next week's Final Battle card and 2nd row still available for the night after).
Montana

Post by Montana »

Fox sports Detroit started carrying ROh like a month ago.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Something I just thought of reading the Final Battle thread. ROH runs PPVs on Friday evening. With SmackDown being live on Fox now what do you think the odds are that they move PPVs to Saturday evenings?
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

dhads7161 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:11 am Something I just thought of reading the Final Battle thread. ROH runs PPVs on Friday evening. With SmackDown being live on Fox now what do you think the odds are that they move PPVs to Saturday evenings?
That would be smart but more expensive.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think anyone willing to spend money on ROH right now would probably be willing to DVR Smackdown for a week.
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

Joey’s back. Not exactly a killer list. If ROH lost those guys and kept all their other FAs, I’d say they’re in better shape

https://twitter.com/JOEYnRetrograde/sta ... 55393?s=20
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

tired of this guy to be honest...
Montana

Post by Montana »

A handful of random thoughts...

The whole ShaneTaylor thing is just odd. He's been such a big part of the company the past 6-9 months, to not even consider bringing back it seems odd. Not to mention he's defending against Dragon Lee, who isn't even signed. The lack of communication between Greg/Hunter doesn't surprise me, but still.

I'm liking the new tag teams of Silas & Woods , as well of Dalton/Hendry. Should be a really good tag match at Final Battle... if given the proper time.

danhausen was pretty impressive on ROH TV this week. Would like to see him more in ROH.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Wrestlingisback wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:38 am Joey’s back. Not exactly a killer list. If ROH lost those guys and kept all their other FAs, I’d say they’re in better shape

https://twitter.com/JOEYnRetrograde/sta ... 55393?s=20
I would like Brody and Shane T to stay. I want to see where this Shane Taylor Promotions angle goes and Brody is too good to just let leave. They have barely scratched the surface with him as a single.