Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wilson wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:05 am I don't think Cobb being in the G1 precludes him from being champion. ROH tends to run pretty lean on shows in late summer. Definitely still seems like a darkhorse.
I don't think the issue is so much not being around as it is doing a bunch of jobs.
Last edited by Big Red Machine on Fri May 31, 2019 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Red Machine

As for Bennett, I'm fine with him coming in, but I don't want to see him back teaming with Taven (unless it means no more Marseglia, of course). I'd rather see Bennett maybe help Taven retain the title (NOT IN A PPV MAIN EVENT, THOUGH!) and then be the guy who just assumes that his buddy Taven will give him a title shot but Taven refuses, and have a heel vs. heel feud for the belt while both guys (but mostly Bennett) are also feuding with the guy Bennett screwed out of the title shot (then Taven beats Bennett to retain the title, the other guy wins his feud with Bennett, then moves on to another shot against Taven to close out that story). If he weren't involved with Bully Ray, Haskins would be a good babyface for this role, just because we know he can have awesome matches with Taven, and Maria and Vicky could probably have some pretty great interactions at ringside. Maybe if they blow the Bully Ray thing off quickly enough they could create something of an interference theme for Haskins' title chase, leading to a blow-off in a cage.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

By Kevin Eck

Here’s the latest ROH news and notes:

The ROH Board of Directors heard Jay and Mark Briscoe’s request for a no-disqualification title match with ROH World Tag Team Champions The Guerrillas of Destiny and have been in contact with New Japan Pro-Wrestling officials about putting the match together. ROH officials have confirmed that the date and site for the next chapter in the war between the two highly decorated teams will be announced this coming Monday, June 3.

Nick Aldis will defend the NWA Worlds Championship and there will be an authentic CMLL trios match at Summer Supercard at Toronto’s Mattamy Athletic Centre on Aug. 9. The huge event will feature top stars from ROH, NJPW, CMLL and the NWA.

The ROH Top Prospect Tournament is returning this summer. It will begin on July 21 at Mass Hysteria in Lowell, Mass. Past TPT winners include current ROH World Champion Matt Taven, Mike Bennett and Lio Rush, and a number of TPT competitors went on to become ROH stars, including Dalton Castle, Adam Cole, Adam Page, Kyle O’Reilly, Silas Young and Jonathan Gresham.

Last year’s TPT had to be called off after Jeff Cobb stormed into ROH and kept interrupting the matches to send a message that he had arrived and the landscape had changed.

Expect the Best in the World pay-per-view card to begin to take shape after this weekend’s shows in the Pacific Northwest. In addition to Cobb’s ROH World Title shot, the only other match announced thus far for the pay-per-view is ROH World Television Champion Shane Taylor defending against Bandido.

Villain Enterprises (“The Villain” Marty Scurll, PCO and Brody King) will defend the ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Titles at Best in the World in Baltimore. Their opponents are to be determined, but logical contenders include LifeBlood, Bullet Club (G.O.D. and Hikuleo) and Shinobi Shadow Squad (Cheeseburger, Eli Isom and Ryan Nova). Bully Ray, Taylor and Young also have teamed together on occasion.

Speaking of Villain Enterprises, the group is searching for a fourth member. Scurll and King have had an extended stay in Japan, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the new member comes from the NJPW roster.

The Allure will finally make their in-ring debut this weekend. Angelina Love and Mandy Leon, with Velvet Sky in their corner, will face Mazzerati and Notorious Nadi in tag action in Portland.

Mazzerati, by the way, impressed ROH officials at the recent recruitment combine. Expect more women from the combine to get opportunities with Women of Honor in the upcoming months.

PJ Black suffered a partial tear in his biceps during the recent War of the Worlds tour but he has been cleared for action this weekend in Kent and Portland. Black will compete in a Four Corner Survival Match along with RUSH, Castle and Gordon in Kent. The match will be streamed live exclusively for HonorClub at 7 p.m. Pacific time. The next night in Portland, Black faces Cobb. …

The Voros Twins have been added to the tag team gauntlet match in Portland. The flamboyant twins made their ROH debut a few months ago, losing to The Bouncers (Beer City Bruiser and Brawler Milonas).

Another match just announced for Kent pits Bully Ray and Taylor against Coast 2 Coast. The last time we saw Bully and Taylor in the ring together, The Soldiers of Savagery (Moses Maddox and Jasper Kaun) showed up and laid out LifeBlood members Bandido, Haskins and Williams. Will we see SOS in Kent?

https://www.rohwrestling.com/news/ecks- ... ing-summer
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Big Red Machine wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:17 am
Wilson wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:05 am I don't think Cobb being in the G1 precludes him from being champion. ROH tends to run pretty lean on shows in late summer. Definitely still seems like a darkhorse.
I don't think the issue is so much not being around as it is doing a bunch of jobs.
Yeah, that certainly makes it a harder sell. Actually, it's really sensible for ROH to cashi in on Cobb's unpinned/unsubmitted streak just as he might enter the G1.
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:56 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:17 am
Yeah, that certainly makes it a harder sell. Actually, it's really sensible for ROH to cashi in on Cobb's unpinned/unsubmitted streak just as he might enter the G1.
I just hope they do it cleanly instead of doing another interference finish and then have Cobb go and do a bunch of clean jobs in New Japan.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

It feels like roh or the people that run it is on cruise control
Big Red Machine

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:23 am It feels like roh or the people that run it is on cruise control
I disagree. I've felt this way a lot over the past few years, but I think they've been much better at moving things forward since about February.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I mean like simple fixes like presentation of the show or getting the fallout to a ppv three after the event even like last night accidentally broadcasting all the episodes from last night show on honorclub
Big Red Machine

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:13 am I mean like simple fixes like presentation of the show or getting the fallout to a ppv three after the event even like last night accidentally broadcasting all the episodes from last night show on honorclub
Ah. I see. Wouldn't call that being stuck in cruise control so much as having problems and not fixing them. To me the expression "stuck in cruise control" means that things are acceptable, but no real effort is being put in to make them interesting or change things up.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Joe comes off like everything goes great and no mistakes are being made I wish he was more ambitious on growing Roh and fixing the problems instead of looking like he always relaxed and nothing bothers him
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Lot of people online looking at a photo of last night's TV taping and tagging it as "horrible attendance". I wouldn't judge it as horrible attendance but as horrible venue choice. There's an art in choosing venues. Just because an arena can be booked doesn't mean it should especially when said venue is at least 19 miles away from the main proper of the metro you're in.
Big Red Machine

dhads7161 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:37 pm Lot of people online looking at a photo of last night's TV taping and tagging it as "horrible attendance". I wouldn't judge it as horrible attendance but as horrible venue choice. There's an art in choosing venues. Just because an arena can be booked doesn't mean it should especially when said venue is at least 19 miles away from the main proper of the metro you're in.
The attendance number that has come out is reportedly 350, which would be the worst attendance since I think Road to Best in the World: Night 1 almost five years ago (either that or SOTF 2014: Night 2 in Toledo, which is four and a half years ago, and both of those numbers were considered extreme aberrations back then), so I think it qualified as horrible attendance.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i read so much hate on twitter for roh, idk why.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I'm a Roh fan but with attendance down and fans turning on them along with aew being formed I see roh and impact falling off and fans only caring about wwe aew and njpw
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Nice to see Colt Cabana back in the ring and not just announcing. Hopefully Caprice will get an opportunity to return as well.
roacheyyy

Post by roacheyyy »

RIP Atsushi Aoki
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Bet you Alex Koslov is the returning former ROH tag champion that Kevin Eck teased back a couple months ago.
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

TYFDK wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:58 am Bet you Alex Koslov is the returning former ROH tag champion that Kevin Eck teased back a couple months ago.
.. and here I thought it was Shingo in the Honor Rumble!
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

WE WANT SHINGO!
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

IanRiccaboni wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:08 am
TYFDK wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:58 am Bet you Alex Koslov is the returning former ROH tag champion that Kevin Eck teased back a couple months ago.
.. and here I thought it was Shingo in the Honor Rumble!
Wait, is that who he was teasing? I must be misremembering the Eck thing then.