Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by monster mafia »

Yep.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Also, yesterday GCW booked Homicide vs. Colby Corino. It was a fun little match, but what I really liked were the callbacks. From Homicide calling out Steve Corino at the beginning to they doing the slap spot to ear and the final squence throwing the towel.

The only bad thing was that neither the crowd nor the commentary team noticed that, so it didn't came out as cool as they thought. Anyway, a little "present" for the Corino-Cide feud lovers!
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

AlexROH wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:30 pm Also, yesterday GCW booked Homicide vs. Colby Corino. It was a fun little match, but what I really liked were the callbacks. From Homicide calling out Steve Corino at the beginning to they doing the slap spot to ear and the final squence throwing the towel.

The only bad thing was that neither the crowd nor the commentary team noticed that, so it didn't came out as cool as they thought. Anyway, a little "present" for the Corino-Cide feud lovers!
Honestly really cool GCW made it happen, and really upsetting ROH never did.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

AlexROH wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:28 pm Interesting comparison:

https://twitter.com/Alan4L/status/1121754069507485696

Yeah, super interesting parallels! Obviously the two can't be mapped 1:1, but it's a hard thing to elide how ROH came out of the razing of US pro wrestling after ECW and WCW fell. The timeline of fan perception seems to be the most important aspect of it, and that part of it really sticks.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

The winners of Crockett Cup will be the new NWA World Tag Team Champions.

Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

monster mafia wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:47 am The winners of Crockett Cup will be the new NWA World Tag Team Champions.

Well damn.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Those are some ugly ass belts.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Do you think the nwa is becoming the second brand to roh because I don't think billy has the funds or investors to run the nwa on his own
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i like the belts...production for the show too, very old school by the photos.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:48 pm Do you think the nwa is becoming the second brand to roh because I don't think billy has the funds or investors to run the nwa on his own
If you Google Billy's net worth . You will find that Billy has a net worth in excess of $ 50 million dollars. I would imagine that Billy is running the NWA of a line of credit with a really low interest rate. Money is not a issue. Why did you think that Billy did not have any money , he is a very successful rock star and businessman ?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

yean, billy is rich...he needs roh for production and exposure of course.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

monster mafia wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:23 pm yean, billy is rich...he needs roh for production and exposure of course.
I agree . However Billy can provide the working capital to run a small part time promotion without any assistance from SBGI .You are right , Billy needs the SBGI media platforms.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Is the ongoing David Starr saga a work or shoot ? I thought he was sincere about his beliefs, but now I starting to think this is just an angle to introduce to ROH . Thoughts ?
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Maybe Billy will help with Roh creative specially if nwa will become a second brand to roh
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Really enjoyed a large amount of what happened last night, it showed and had a lot of what can be great about wrestling and has been missing. I wasn't sure about how they worked stories into the night for each team but I thought it worked really well in the end especially with VE and PCO although the arm thing was a little hokey in the end.

I thought the Briscoes delivered a masterclass in how to be a legitimate tag team that could fit into any era. So many people should be watching and taking bits and pieces to really make themselves to the best they can be.

There were certainly some low points but as a first attempt and trying to blend nostalgia with a modern base it was a success for me.

Overall I hope this isn't the last involvement with ROH, the NWA, New Japan, CMLL, Rev Pro and Crash as it really could be something pretty special if everyone got serious about it. What I will say is that each of these companies need to look at their roster and develop them individually to really create something, right ROH, New Japan and CMLL are sumplimenting alot of these companies and if they are going have different brands interact with each other you need a uniqueness from everyone to really work.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Memphis Mark wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:41 pm Is the ongoing David Starr saga a work or shoot ? I thought he was sincere about his beliefs, but now I starting to think this is just an angle to introduce to ROH . Thoughts ?
I think Starr unfortunately is being very serious, as I would love to see him in ROH, I have no problem with his stance on Sinclair as it's something that is a concern for me too, but I don't think ROH (although others at the top certainly shouldn't be where they are and have a history of misstreating minorities and women at the company) nor Koff should be dragged into this argument, from my own personal view point I haven't seen anything that would suggest Koff is a bad person or has hardent political and personal views that would be seen as sinnister in todays world. I could be wrong on all of this but I just believe Koff is towing the party line and is very aware of his possition just wants to keep his job.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

With regards to Billy if he is sensible and takes his time he can make the NWA something, but wrestling can bleed money if you aren't careful even with millions behind you, it really needs the safety of billions now like Sinclair and the Khan to really be secure. He shouldn't waste his fortune to secure the dream, having ROH etc on board is very sensible on all levels and it would make sense to build with each other, everyone just needs to stay away from negativity, like the Enzo stuff and it will be very possitive for everyone.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

BurningHammer wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:52 am Really enjoyed a large amount of what happened last night, it showed and had a lot of what can be great about wrestling and has been missing. I wasn't sure about how they worked stories into the night for each team but I thought it worked really well in the end especially with VE and PCO although the arm thing was a little hokey in the end.

I thought the Briscoes delivered a masterclass in how to be a legitimate tag team that could fit into any era. So many people should be watching and taking bits and pieces to really make themselves to the best they can be.

There were certainly some low points but as a first attempt and trying to blend nostalgia with a modern base it was a success for me.

Overall I hope this isn't the last involvement with ROH, the NWA, New Japan, CMLL, Rev Pro and Crash as it really could be something pretty special if everyone got serious about it. What I will say is that each of these companies need to look at their roster and develop them individually to really create something, right ROH, New Japan and CMLL are sumplimenting alot of these companies and if they are going have different brands interact with each other you need a uniqueness from everyone to really work.
Agree 100%. Such a solid show.

Loved the old school presentation and commentary work, the legends involvement was cool too. Main Event was a masterclass of storytelling and a great end to a show without ****+ matches.

That being said, i really enjoyed the whole Tournament and It was such an eqsy watch, with different styles, short matches and diferents stories with Briscoes, the heels from NWA, VE or the veteran teams. Man, i now im a Big fan of them, but the Briscoes are such an amazing team, one of the best ever.

Overall, I'll give the show a 7,75/10. Not show of the year, but I'll call it a home run for NWA:

Wildcart Battle Royal ⭐⭐1/2

Bandido/Flip vs. Maya/Stuka ⭐⭐⭐1/2-

Isaacs/Latimer vs. War King (didnt watch it)

Briscoes vs. Rock 'n' Roll ⭐⭐⭐ (really enjoyed this one)

Kojima/Nagata vs. VE ⭐⭐⭐1/4

Santana vs. Kay ⭐⭐⭐

Isaacs/Latimer vs. Bandido/Flip ⭐⭐3/4

Briscoes vs. VE ⭐⭐⭐1/2+ (for both match + post match)

Mack vs. Cabana ⭐⭐⭐1/2

VE vs. Isaacs/Latimer ⭐⭐⭐1/4

Aldis vs. Scurll ⭐⭐⭐⭐1/4+
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Memphis Mark wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:07 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:48 pm Do you think the nwa is becoming the second brand to roh because I don't think billy has the funds or investors to run the nwa on his own
If you Google Billy's net worth . You will find that Billy has a net worth in excess of $ 50 million dollars. I would imagine that Billy is running the NWA of a line of credit with a really low interest rate. Money is not a issue. Why did you think that Billy did not have any money , he is a very successful rock star and businessman ?
His net worth is unknown. The 50 million dollars thrown around is an estimate.

What is known, however, is that he made more than 500 million in total sales in his career but recently started back up a tour with the Pumpkins and originally didn't want to pay all the other core band members. One such member said it was a nostalgia tour because Billy had lost much of his money in other ventures including wrestling.

It would not at all surprise me to find that he is broke, or will be soon.

This is a man who believes that air plane jet streams are actually a secret conspiracy where the government is dumping poison (for some reason) on the population.

He is an idiot savant.