Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Deadline reports sinclair is jointly bought the yes network and it has a national feed so it wouldn't be a stretch to say it would be a home for Roh
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

famicommander wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:45 pm I understand not everybody likes Taven but if you truly believe he's only had one good match in his entire career, why are you even watching wrestling?
LOL what does this comment even mean? If you can clarify what you mean here, maybe I can respond.

You guys think my comments are rough, wait til the PPV and see what people say if he actually wins.

I'm still not convinced that it's a possibility, to be honest. It would be like Beer City Bruiser winning the belt. This is the same company that hasn't made Silas the champ yet (he should get it WAAAAAAY before Taven does), and hell, they LOVED Punishment Martinez and he wasn't made the world champ. That role is pretty important. I think even Lethal on his worst day still does a good job of it. One thing that makes it possible is that ROH roster is weak right now and Taven has been in the company for a long time.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Yes sir.

Taven is a joke to the whole wrestling world but a few ROH fans.

He's best known as the man who stole suntan lotion at a WWE tryout.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

It's kinda a minor thing but did anyone notice sinclair finally putting the description of each episode on their sinclair own channels now
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

AlexROH wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:14 am David Finlay injured his shoulder during today's main event.
He’ll be out for 6 months unfortunately.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Has anyone on here heard about roh talking with amazon to put roh tv on amazon prime
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:14 am
famicommander wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:45 pm I understand not everybody likes Taven but if you truly believe he's only had one good match in his entire career, why are you even watching wrestling?
LOL what does this comment even mean? If you can clarify what you mean here, maybe I can respond.

You guys think my comments are rough, wait til the PPV and see what people say if he actually wins.

I'm still not convinced that it's a possibility, to be honest. It would be like Beer City Bruiser winning the belt. This is the same company that hasn't made Silas the champ yet (he should get it WAAAAAAY before Taven does), and hell, they LOVED Punishment Martinez and he wasn't made the world champ. That role is pretty important. I think even Lethal on his worst day still does a good job of it. One thing that makes it possible is that ROH roster is weak right now and Taven has been in the company for a long time.
I couldn't care less about what the internet says.

Twitter is a bubble, the social media with less active users And if we talk about the Twitter Wrestling Bubble is even worse, with people that dont go to the shows or even watch them telling something is crap.

1-2 years ago, when ROH had his best year (regarding attendance, PPV buys and merch) people were telling on Twitter how bad was the company and how nobody cared for It, when they were drawing the biggest crowds outside WWE in the US haha.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

The wrestling internet is currently saying Mance Warner is a hotter act than Taven, which isn't the case at all, this is just where ROH is right now whatever they as a company do people will see it in a certain way now.

Taven is by no means the greatest in ring guy, but wrestling has never just been about that one thing, I personally feel his character development have been some of the best in wrestling and I truly accept his character as believable. His delivery in promos is usually spot on, he is really finding himself in ring especially in a modern environment. If Taven had a resomete of high quality matches people would so into Taven it's untrue, but because of how wrestling has changed a lot of fans ignore a lot of the basics that make up a wrestler.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wilson wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:01 pm Taven had an awesome match against Castle at Final Battle and a really fun brawl with Ultimo Guerrero at the Hammerstein not too long ago. Given the chance, he can work a pretty decent main event match. Honestly, the bar to clear is Cody, which he comfortably hovers above.

Shithead champions are good. Taven will probably get a lot of honest heel reactions if he's champion. Though I still wish the make-up of the Kingdom were different, I think everyone is going to live.

(Idk if anyone here remembers what it was like when Briscoe first won the World Title, but these conversations now are a lot like then. Should be real interesting to read comments if Taven does win.)
As someone who was thoroughly underwhelmed by Briscoe's win and never saw him as a viable contender, my expectations of what he will give in a main event singles match aren't too much higher than what I see Taven's likely ceiling as (almost always usually in the 7.5-8.25/10 range) and that's just plain not good enough to be ROH World Champion. Now throw in that Briscoe comes off like an actual threat while Taven is a goofball and I just don't see how anyone can justify putting the belt on him.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:20 pm It's kinda a minor thing but did anyone notice sinclair finally putting the description of each episode on their sinclair own channels now
Did not notice that, but it's a lot better than WWE's generic "Michael Cole, Corey Graves, and Renee Young call the action." TNA used to be even worse, as their descriptions credited Taz and Tenay as announcers long after they left. Descriptions for the next week's episode is something there is absolutely no excuse for a promotion not having.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I'm seeing sinclair put more attention to Roh lately
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

BurningHammer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:56 am The wrestling internet is currently saying Mance Warner is a hotter act than Taven, which isn't the case at all, this is just where ROH is right now whatever they as a company do people will see it in a certain way now.

Taven is by no means the greatest in ring guy, but wrestling has never just been about that one thing, I personally feel his character development have been some of the best in wrestling and I truly accept his character as believable. His delivery in promos is usually spot on, he is really finding himself in ring especially in a modern environment. If Taven had a resomete of high quality matches people would so into Taven it's untrue, but because of how wrestling has changed a lot of fans ignore a lot of the basics that make up a wrestler.
Dude... the problem is that he doesn't have good matches. He's like a jokey, weird character, too. Hard to take serious. If his in-ring work was stronger, don't you think people would notice?

Wrestling may not be ALL about in-ring work, but dude, it's Ring of Honor. If there's ANY promotion where in-ring should matter MORE, it's here. Just the fact that Taven's IN the world title match is insane to me.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Amen.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:29 am
BurningHammer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:56 am The wrestling internet is currently saying Mance Warner is a hotter act than Taven, which isn't the case at all, this is just where ROH is right now whatever they as a company do people will see it in a certain way now.

Dude... the problem is that he doesn't have good matches. He's like a jokey, weird character, too. Hard to take serious. If his in-ring work was stronger, don't you think people would notice?

Wrestling may not be ALL about in-ring work, but dude, it's Ring of Honor. If there's ANY promotion where in-ring should matter MORE, it's here. Just the fact that Taven's IN the world title match is insane to me.
Personally I think he does have 'good' matches, not great they are always solid and have something to get into. I don't think they are ever going to enjoy every wrestler if your expecting wild move sets and five star classics. If this title win doesn't work it doesn't work, but I am really interested to see him against guys like, RUSH and Juice bigger guys that can carry his weight and feed off him more easily that smaller guys which ROH has a lot of.

His ironic, narcisitic crazed persona is enjoyable, I think it was a bad move to shave his head, but as they did they really should have played on his craziness more but that's the lack of detail in booking more than anything. For what Taven does himself I enjoy it and I think it works well.

All I see is a guy that came back from a serious injury, work his ass off in every aspect, and has become entertaining to me.

Dalton Castle for me didn't have great matches at all until he became champ, he was then given the time and moments to really make himself someone I took notice of not just as a personality. The same might happen for Taven with you.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

As something of a Taven agnostic, I am looking forward to the title match to see what he is capable of in a big featured singles match. I am fairly convinced that Taven is a good wrestler to have near the top of your card in the same way that 2005-2007 Jimmy Rave was, but I need to be convinced that he has a higher gear. If one were to argue that this match should have been scheduled for Road to G1 or something, I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but I am glad it is happening all the same.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Cutting my own quote for brevity:
Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:36 am As someone who was thoroughly underwhelmed by Briscoe's win and never saw him as a viable contender, my expectations of what he will give in a main event singles match aren't too much higher than what I see Taven's likely ceiling as (almost always usually in the 7.5-8.25/10 range) and that's just plain not good enough to be ROH World Champion. Now throw in that Briscoe comes off like an actual threat while Taven is a goofball and I just don't see how anyone can justify putting the belt on him.
Standards now are less than they were then. In my opinion, Taven seems like the mean in champions such as Daniels, Cody, Cole (in his third run), Castle, and O'Reilly.

The reason I bring up Briscoe's first reign was obviously because of storm of grousing and debate that went on then, but also because of its transitory nature, leading onto bigger things for lots of other main event players and Briscoe himself. ROH needs to establish who is main event and who is at the midcard, because it's blurrier now than I can recall. Along with Castle, Taven has been one of the most consistent performers with his push since 2017. Him being the champion or a long-term main event piece makes a lot of sense to me.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

They've been building Taven for this for a long time. He has to win the title, if not here then soon.
-Won Top Prospect
-Won World TV Title
-Won World Tag Team Title
-Won World Six Man Tag Team Title 3 times
-Won IWGP Heavyweight Tag Title
-Won CMLL NWA World Historic Welterweight Title
-Was kept relevant with commentary and TV appearances during his major injury
-Was given own stable upon his healthy return
-Has been in ROH since 2010, full time since 2013

He's a homegrown talent and, whether a few dissenters here will admit it or not, he has become a real star. You don't main event the CMLL Anniversary Show because you aren't over.

He's not Bryan Danielson but he's a class above a guy like Cody in terms of pure ring wrestling.

The diverse, passionate reactions to his prospective title run here tell me that it's going to work when they put the belt on him.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Video that ROH just put out basically confirms Lethal is winning. Thank GOD. Lol. Taven can go right back to the lower midcard where he belongs.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:54 pm Video that ROH just put out basically confirms Lethal is winning. Thank GOD. Lol. Taven can go right back to the lower midcard where he belongs.
why?
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:54 pm Video that ROH just put out basically confirms Lethal is winning. Thank GOD. Lol. Taven can go right back to the lower midcard where he belongs.
Testify!!!