Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mike0284

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Mike0284 »

Took advantage of the flash sale.

BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

It's probably just me but i really like the TKO Ryan "what have you done for me lately" promo, if he can keep that quality up and maybe just add a bit more confidence there could be gold there.

Also someone should really make 'a face only a mother could love' for Mark Briscoe
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Hey, I know he isn't in ROH anymore. But yesterday I was able to talk with ACH and he told me a lot of interesting things, even from his ROH days and all of that. So if you want to give it a read, here you have:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Thanks for the interview Alex. It's interesting to see what ACH said about his time in ROH. If you feel complacent at your job then you start going through the motions. Sometimes a change is best for both parties.
Montana

Post by Montana »

A couple quick questions...

Is it safe to say there will not be a 2018 top prospect tournament?? With it being June, a women’s tournament this year, and a new international cup, it doesn’t look like it’s in the cards for this year. Maybe a good time for a break, but I liked the tournament, and watching some fresh faces getting a shot.

Anyone else think ROH May be done with live event DVDs?? I can see them continue releasing ppv’s and wrestler DVDs. Makes sense to stop with Honor Club and the growth of digital media.

Not sure if ROH has said anything official on either of these.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 am Hey, I know he isn't in ROH anymore. But yesterday I was able to talk with ACH and he told me a lot of interesting things, even from his ROH days and all of that. So if you want to give it a read, here you have:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url
Good stuff, Alex. Gave me a different perspective on ACH.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

State of the Art night one was a very good tour show and showed what everyone can really do when motivated and not malinged by carnie mentality.

Sadly Night two came close to the worse show ROH has produced in quite some time, from the quality of wrestling that felt low, to the true carnie match that should never be allowed in wrestling these day let alone ROH, to the most riddiculous booking decission in quite some time in the main event. If there ever was a show to make me Lapsed it was this one, i hope this isn't a regular thing for ROH and very much a one off but if there is going to be this sort of trend I think that's it for me.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

BurningHammer wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:54 am State of the Art night one was a very good tour show and showed what everyone can really do when motivated and not malinged by carnie mentality.

Sadly Night two came close to the worse show ROH has produced in quite some time, from the quality of wrestling that felt low, to the true carnie match that should never be allowed in wrestling these day let alone ROH, to the most riddiculous booking decission in quite some time in the main event. If there ever was a show to make me Lapsed it was this one, i hope this isn't a regular thing for ROH and very much a one off but if there is going to be this sort of trend I think that's it for me.
I'll check out night 1 when I get some time, for sure. I actually didn't renew my Honor Club because the quality of the B shows right now is pretty low. And since it doesn't give you the PPVs for free, it's basically me throwing 10 bucks away if I sign up for Honor Club.

But yeah, I avoided this weekend's ROH shows because I knew they'd be pretty weak. I'm guessing the PPV will be your typical strong PPV effort from them, so that's a better one to watch if you're jaded on ROH.

I can't imagine people chose ROH over last night's NXT anyway. That opening tag match at Takeover was insane.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Congratulations to Adam Page for being selected to participate in his first G1 tournament.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:05 am
BurningHammer wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:54 am State of the Art night one was a very good tour show and showed what everyone can really do when motivated and not malinged by carnie mentality.

I'll check out night 1 when I get some time, for sure. I actually didn't renew my Honor Club because the quality of the B shows right now is pretty low. And since it doesn't give you the PPVs for free, it's basically me throwing 10 bucks away if I sign up for Honor Club.

But yeah, I avoided this weekend's ROH shows because I knew they'd be pretty weak. I'm guessing the PPV will be your typical strong PPV effort from them, so that's a better one to watch if you're jaded on ROH.

I can't imagine people chose ROH over last night's NXT anyway. That opening tag match at Takeover was insane.
Night one is well worth the watch for sure, to be honest i have enjoyed most of the BShows for a while but this had a hot crowd with a variety of match styles that gave it a great vibe and experience.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:53 am Congratulations to Adam Page for being selected to participate in his first G1 tournament.
Congrats indeed.

Now; to sound like a hypocrite, I'm a bit disappointed in the field. Only two new faces (and they're kind of meh) replacing two old faces (who I kind've would rather see.) Hope they show some fire and make me sound like an idiot.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Montana wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:51 am Anyone else think ROH May be done with live event DVDs?? I can see them continue releasing ppv’s and wrestler DVDs. Makes sense to stop with Honor Club and the growth of digital media.
They sent a tweet out today for Final Battle 2017, someone commented asking about 2018 shows and the ROH account responded, saying that they're coming.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

With as many house shows as ROH runs these days and how little of note happens, running a G1 style round robin tournament would do a lot to fill out B shows with matches that are kind of important without giving anything major away. Even if it's a scaled down eight person (two four person blocks) over two weekends or one triple shot with the final at a bigger show, I think it's worth a try.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

I want to see such tournament as tag division.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Well sucks to see ROH lose the MSG deal. Respoted by PWInsider while conducting an interview with Joe Koff:

"You know, I’m going to tell you Mike because you are asking. I’m not going to discuss beyond this statement because I am not going to litigate this in the press. We had a deal with [Madison Square] Garden and they then told us they were backing out after communications from the WWE. We are not able to get any other dates in any kind of discussion. I’m expecting that our lawyers will be contacting all the parties involved and the best we can hope is that we can find a resolution, so we can bring the kind of energy and excitement that ROH and our partner New Japan to a bigger audience and to bigger arenas and to the fans of New York City."
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

It's rarer that I side with Sinclair these days, but this news is really crushing. Reason why WWE can no longer have competition #6,012.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

What would be the next level of possible venues that ROH could use
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

maxx_powerz wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:16 pm With as many house shows as ROH runs these days and how little of note happens, running a G1 style round robin tournament would do a lot to fill out B shows with matches that are kind of important without giving anything major away. Even if it's a scaled down eight person (two four person blocks) over two weekends or one triple shot with the final at a bigger show, I think it's worth a try.
Agreed, though I'd settle for any on-going tournament, not even a round robin.
ICHIFUJI wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:37 am I want to see such tournament as tag division.
I think this would be the ideal way to do it, as the various tag team round robins in Japan get much less attention than the singles ones.
January is probably a good time of year for this, as New Japan's schedule is light, and most of ROH's teams are also teams that are at least on NJPW's radar, and with FantasticaMania being the January tour ROH might even be able to get a relatively high-level team from New Japan to come over (K.E.S.?).
Montana

Post by Montana »

maxx_powerz wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:46 pm
Montana wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:51 am Anyone else think ROH May be done with live event DVDs?? I can see them continue releasing ppv’s and wrestler DVDs. Makes sense to stop with Honor Club and the growth of digital media.
They sent a tweet out today for Final Battle 2017, someone commented asking about 2018 shows and the ROH account responded, saying that they're coming.
Cool... Thanks. I have to imagine that some point they throw in the towel.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Montana wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:22 pm
maxx_powerz wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:46 pm
Cool... Thanks. I have to imagine that some point they throw in the towel.
I don't disagree, although I don't think it makes business sense. If I were to guess, I would expect ROH to have one of the older fan bases based on how old the company is and the relative lack of turnover at the top of the roster. So if DVD is still worth doing for WWE, Impact and most independents, it's hard for me to imagine it wouldn't be worth it for ROH. I just don't think they are willing to spend the extra money to keep updating Honor Club and stay on top of DVD production because they seem cheap that way.