ROH Announces Inaugural International Cup Tournament

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
cgstong
Admin
Admin

ROH Announces Inaugural International Cup Tournament

Post by cgstong »

Coming off the highly successful Honor United Tour, the Best Wrestling on the Planet, Ring of Honor, returns to the UK with the HONOR RE-UNITED TOUR, featuring an eight-man, United States vs. United Kingdom Tournament! The tournament is the First Annual Ring of Honor International Cup with the first round taking place in Edinburgh on Thursday August 16, the Semi Finals and Finals on Saturday August 18 in Doncaster, with the winner challenging for the Ring of Honor World Championship in the Main Event on Sunday August 19 in London!

The tournament marks the first of many anticipated International Cups, all of which possess endless possibilities, including the United States vs. Japan, United States vs. Germany, United States vs. Mexico, and more!

As we have seen from the recent Reach For The Sky, War of the Worlds – UK, and Honor United Tours, Ring of Honor brings in the very best UK stars to compete against its own stars year after year! Previous tours have brought stars like “The Villain” Marty Scurll, Will Ospreay, Mark Haskins, NWA Worlds Champion Nick Aldis, and others to ROH competition, with all making the most of their opportunities. Will we see a breakout star make the most of this opportunity or will an established star win the first-ever ROH International Cup?
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
DXvsNWO1994

Re: ROH Announces Inaugural International Cup Tournament

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The most interesting part of that article is that it specifically mentions United States vs. Germany. I guess we're going to be seeing a German wrestler in the tournament? Hopefully someone from wXw.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

is us vs uk so maybe the other countries are for future shows.
ActionJeffson

Post by ActionJeffson »

Please give us WALTER in ROH.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

ActionJeffson wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:27 pm Please give us WALTER in ROH.
Or Klinger. Or Ilja. Or Absolute Andy. Or Jurn Simmons. Or pretty much anyone from the top of wXw's card.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:15 pm
Or Klinger. Or Ilja. Or Absolute Andy. Or Jurn Simmons. Or pretty much anyone from the top of wXw's card.
Klinger left wXw and Jurn is injured. But yeah, a partnership with wXw would be cool.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

This is the perfect place to introduce Zack Sabre Junior to the ROH audience.

Just imagine Marty Scurll defending the World Title in the York Hall against Sabre. That's a fucking money match.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I think for the UK this might be to little too late considering the talent that is now signed up with the WWE or at least affiliated with. Germany though is still a largely untapped source and if ROH can create a strong relationship there you are on to something.

It will be interesting to see where this goes i.e. if ROH just hold the tournament but for other countries to vie against each other i.e. a whole tournament of non ROH/USA based wrestlers
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:56 am I think for the UK this might be to little too late considering the talent that is now signed up with the WWE or at least affiliated with. Germany though is still a largely untapped source and if ROH can create a strong relationship there you are on to something.

It will be interesting to see where this goes i.e. if ROH just hold the tournament but for other countries to vie against each other i.e. a whole tournament of non ROH/USA based wrestlers
Nah, WWE only have a bunch of talents, most of them from PROGRESS; but there is A LOT of wrestlers in the UK without a UK deal wrestling for Revolution Pro, ATTACK, Fight Club Pro or even OTT. Kyle Fletcher, Mark Davis, Chris Brookes, Haskins, Hendry, ZSJ, Bodom, Rampage, Kirby, Doug Williams... lots of names out there without a WWE UK contract
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

They only need four UK guys, they could easily do Scurll, Doug Williams, Haskins and the NWA guy and call it a day. Or maybe ZSJ debuts.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AlexROH wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:14 am
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:56 am I think for the UK this might be to little too late considering the talent that is now signed up with the WWE or at least affiliated with. Germany though is still a largely untapped source and if ROH can create a strong relationship there you are on to something.

Nah, WWE only have a bunch of talents, most of them from PROGRESS; but there is A LOT of wrestlers in the UK without a UK deal wrestling for Revolution Pro, ATTACK, Fight Club Pro or even OTT. Kyle Fletcher, Mark Davis, Chris Brookes, Haskins, Hendry, ZSJ, Bodom, Rampage, Kirby, Doug Williams... lots of names out there without a WWE UK contract
I'm not saying talent isn't there but when you consider what was and what's now left it's night and day really. There could be another coming in another couple of years but right now there aren't many that really stand out.

Though Bodom, Fletcher are ones with that little bit extra and would be great for ROH.

If they just use Haskins, Williams, Marty and Aldis that would be a massive instult to fans and brittish wrestling.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

zsj, mark haskins, chris brookes and marty ( if he is not roh champion by that time)
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:29 am

I'm not saying talent isn't there but when you consider what was and what's now left it's night and day really. There could be another coming in another couple of years but right now there aren't many that really stand out.

Though Bodom, Fletcher are ones with that little bit extra and would be great for ROH.

If they just use Haskins, Williams, Marty and Aldis that would be a massive instult to fans and brittish wrestling.
Well, if you look at the WWE UK Tournament it isn't that good. I mean, people I'd really say are GREAT --> Morgan, Devlin, Banks and maybe Banks. The level isn't as high as they try to sell, IMO.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

AlexROH wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:06 am

Well, if you look at the WWE UK Tournament it isn't that good. I mean, people I'd really say are GREAT --> Morgan, Devlin, Banks and maybe Mastiff. The level isn't as high as they try to sell, IMO.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AlexROH wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:06 am

Well, if you look at the WWE UK Tournament it isn't that good. I mean, people I'd really say are GREAT --> Morgan, Devlin, Banks and maybe Banks. The level isn't as high as they try to sell, IMO.
The thing is you add Banks, Morgan, Devlin and Seven to what they already have out of the British scene and that's a pretty good core gone.

Kid Lykos is pretty underated and if he hadn't just come back from injury i would have liked to have seen in him in it. My old school wish would be Jody Fleisch he has shown he has still has it and is another connection to ROH.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

AlexROH wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:26 am
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:15 pm
Klinger left wXw and Jurn is injured. But yeah, a partnership with wXw would be cool.
Yeah, I know, but I'm crossing my fingers hoping the Klinger thing is another elaborate work, and Jurn will be healthy at some point.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

remember guys: this is uk vs usa.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

monster mafia wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:39 pm remember guys: this is uk vs usa.
....but the article also mentions Germany, Japan, and Mexico. I imagine we'll get at least one representative from each of those countries (along with US & UK).
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:28 pm
monster mafia wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:39 pm remember guys: this is uk vs usa.
....but the article also mentions Germany, Japan, and Mexico. I imagine we'll get at least one representative from each of those countries (along with US & UK).

"featuring an eight-man, United States vs. United Kingdom Tournament"
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

monster mafia wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:45 pm
DXvsNWO1994 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:28 pm

"featuring an eight-man, United States vs. United Kingdom Tournament"

“The tournament marks the first of many anticipated International Cups, all of which possess endless possibilities, including the United States vs. Japan, United States vs. Germany, United States vs. Mexico, and more!”