Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
dhads7161

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by dhads7161 »

Ya know what? Thinking here made me realize. I don't see Ibushi losing to Cody at the Dome...I don't see ROH putting the World title on Ibushi...DALTON WINS AT FINAL BATTLE
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

dhads7161 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:57 am Ya know what? Thinking here made me realize. I don't see Ibushi losing to Cody at the Dome...I don't see ROH putting the World title on Ibushi...DALTON WINS AT FINAL BATTLE
Title or non-title, it is a pretty mystifying match to take place at Wrestle Kingdom.

My guess is that whomever wins here unlocks one half of the main event for Strong Style Evolved. For example, Omega vs. Cody, as Cody would be able to claim the one trophy that has always eluded him in besting Ibushi.

And *tin foil hat/galaxy brain* that story could even be fortified by having Omega costing Cody the World Title at Final Battle?!?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

what a coincidence!

roh puts a Throwback Thursday of steen vs generico

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3i5Gup3K4

this is around the time i start watching roh.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

monster mafia wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:49 am what a coincidence!

roh puts a Throwback Thursday of steen vs generico

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3i5Gup3K4

this is around the time i start watching roh.
Ahahaha. Loved that match. This makes sense too because they are running in the same building this Saturday.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

¡La Revancha!
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I think ROH should try some different towns for the WOTW and GW tours next year.
WOTW go Florida, Atlanta, Baltimore, NYC for the PPV.
GW go St. Louis, Minnesota, Milwaukee, and Chicago for the PPV.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

dhads7161 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:28 pm I think ROH should try some different towns for the WOTW and GW tours next year.
I'd actually like to see them try running the west coast with some of the New Japan guys. It works well for New Japan, after all.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

AlexROH wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:31 am
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:57 pm We clearly have vastly different standards of quality of wrestling and booking and stories being told and just about everything possible, but the real question I want answered is why people keep saying this "can't be" 2005 ROH, at least in terms of the quality of the talent and the wrestling and the storytelling? That's all I want from "2005 ROH." No one is arguing that they should return to running 500 seat buildings. I just want good wrestling and good booking. Why can't those elements come back?
Wanting a company to be as great as it was 10 years ago is called living in the past. Things can't be the same forever. As I always say, a company has to do what is best for business. That's the most important thing in capitalism. The scene is so different from what it was in 2005. Now you have a lot of companies in the country and NXT. People now can live from the indy wrestling and they wrestle wherever they want whenever they want. ROH isn't a indy, so they have their roster under contract. Lots of talents wants to wrestle everywhere, so they aren't going to sign a contract. Yeah, now you're gonna tell me that EVOLVE also had contract, but they aren't exclusive and they aren't on national TV. The young indy guys prefer travelling to stay just in ROH. The big difference is that back in the mid-2000s, ROH used the top talents, but they still were working everywhere, just like, nowadays, AAW does. With National TV and contracts, you just can't have every wrestler. And you also have to think in NXT and the new direction in WWE hiring a lot of younger talents. ROH's current roster is very good and they can use talents from all over the world thanks to their alliances. You say the roster outside Bullet Club is bad? Just look at the Soaring Eagle Cup. 1000+ people in a show with just 4 matches announced and only half of the BC.

Again, stop asking ROH to be as they were 10 years ago. Things evolve. 2005-2006 was the peak of Gabe's booking and he had the most talented roster of the US. You can't imitate that. Delirious isn't the best booker in the world. We all have talked bad about him. But c'mon, this year was going to be a disaster after the exodus and you know what, is has been the best year ever. Great TV, great crowds and solid top to bottom shows. Booking isn't the best, but it's pretty good in most part. This booking is better than the other two companies in national TV (WWE and Impact). Is it as great as it was in 2005? No. Is it bad? No. Also, you can't compare a booking during a DVD Era when every show had to be awesome for selling copies to the current era, with national tv tapings, b-shows, VODs and iPPVs/PPVs. It isn't the same.

You always talk like ROH is acting like TNA back in the early 2010s. ROH had an awesome run as the big super-indy, had some darker years with the beggining of their TV deal but now they are in a phonomenal position. They are selling more and more, their crowds are increasing, they are generating more buzz than ever and they are MAKING MONEY, something they weren't able to do in almost a DECADE. Why should they change? Just bc a part of the old fanbase wants them to be "super-indy cool"? Don't misunderstand me, I LOVED ROH's Golden years. I know they aren't the best promotion in the world from an in-ring perspective, but I still enjoy their product bc is very good. Now you'll say it isn't good for the ROH standars and this discussion will go forever.

Time past and everything changes. ROH has been able to grow, have international exposure and still keep the good wrestling. It isn't about "Honor", super dream cards and all of that anymore. Now is about having a solid product, making money and increase their fanbase (something that they are doing great so far). Please, stop talking about current ROH comparing it to the old one. Just enjoy, or stop watching, the current one. Don't compare it to the old ROH in every single review. Everybody knows that it has changed. With all the wrestling available nowadays, you don't have to watch every single ROH show if it hurts you so much.

ROH started and grew up in the businness being a Super-Indy. But they have established and expanded thanks to their current format. It's a company. They have evolved and times have proved they were right.
There is no reason that a change of format means that the quality of the storytelling has to suffer. I have explained numerous times how it would be extremely simple to make the DVD/VOD-only shows into shows that, while not essential viewing, serve as extra examples of what we see on TV (guy on a winning streak, partners not getting along etc.) and simply have the announcers mention to the viewer that in addition to the big win we saw him get on TV the last time he was on the show, Wrestler X also went undefeated on our recent tour of live events. Making those shows reinforce what we're seeing on TV rather either treading water or even worse actively working against it like Delirious' booking often does.

You saw ROH isn't making the same mistakes that TNA did? You say 2017 was going to be a disaster no matter what after the exodus we saw in the first half of the year? I strongly disagree. Guys are leaving? So do your job as a booker and tell stories to get new guys over to replace them. Who has been pushed this year in a meaningful way to replace those who have left? Pretty much no one other than Cody, Bully Ray, and Kenny King. You could say Silas, but I'm afraid that this will be just like every other push that Silas has gotten, where he just fades into the background afterwards and loses all of his momentum.
What are half of the roster even doing right now? Guys who should be the next crop of guys you elevate spent most of the year doing absolutely nothing. The best you could do for White and Martinez was a months-long feud against each other that had no substance to it other than them attacking each other during and after matches? Taven has spent the whole year doing nothing. Shane Taylor hasn't done sh*t. Adam Page has a good feud with Kazarian then once again goes back to being Bullet Club's designated job-boy. Scurll hasn't really done anything other than lose his title to a dude who spends most of his time in Japan. Delirious is still making the same exact mistakes that caused guys like Rush, Dijak, ACH, and Cedric to leave. Booking ridiculous overbooking in major blow-offs, hot-shotting title changes to try to get attention, pushing old dudes who suck in the ring because of nostalgia and letting them dominate the show, losing the identity of the promotion. What could possibly be a more TNA-esque set of mistakes to make failing to heed the warnings of the past.
ROH isn't expanding because of the current model. They're expanding despite it. Yes, they draw a lot of people with Bullet Club, but how much do you think they'd draw without Bullet Club on the show at all. If it was just Briscoes, Lethal, Bully, Dalton, Silas, Addiction, MCMG, Martinez, Kingdom, Burger etc? It'd just be a hodgepodge of random stuff. ROH is tremendously lucky that the Bucks and Omega are rather brilliant businessmen. That's the reason for ROH's current financial success. It has had nothing to do with the booking.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:10 am
dhads7161 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:28 pm I think ROH should try some different towns for the WOTW and GW tours next year.
I'd actually like to see them try running the west coast with some of the New Japan guys. It works well for New Japan, after all.
I think ROH will have the courtesy to their partner to leave the West Coast specifically Cali to the NJPW U.S. brand.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

ROH will run in California when they have enough TV coverage out there, just like NJPW will move north and east when they feel like they can put together some tours that will draw.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 am
AlexROH wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:31 am
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:57 pm We clearly have vastly different standards of quality of wrestling and booking and stories being told and just about everything possible, but the real question I want answered is why people keep saying this "can't be" 2005 ROH, at least in terms of the quality of the talent and the wrestling and the storytelling? That's all I want from "2005 ROH." No one is arguing that they should return to running 500 seat buildings. I just want good wrestling and good booking. Why can't those elements come back?
Wanting a company to be as great as it was 10 years ago is called living in the past. Things can't be the same forever. As I always say, a company has to do what is best for business. That's the most important thing in capitalism. The scene is so different from what it was in 2005. Now you have a lot of companies in the country and NXT. People now can live from the indy wrestling and they wrestle wherever they want whenever they want. ROH isn't a indy, so they have their roster under contract. Lots of talents wants to wrestle everywhere, so they aren't going to sign a contract. Yeah, now you're gonna tell me that EVOLVE also had contract, but they aren't exclusive and they aren't on national TV. The young indy guys prefer travelling to stay just in ROH. The big difference is that back in the mid-2000s, ROH used the top talents, but they still were working everywhere, just like, nowadays, AAW does. With National TV and contracts, you just can't have every wrestler. And you also have to think in NXT and the new direction in WWE hiring a lot of younger talents. ROH's current roster is very good and they can use talents from all over the world thanks to their alliances. You say the roster outside Bullet Club is bad? Just look at the Soaring Eagle Cup. 1000+ people in a show with just 4 matches announced and only half of the BC.

Again, stop asking ROH to be as they were 10 years ago. Things evolve. 2005-2006 was the peak of Gabe's booking and he had the most talented roster of the US. You can't imitate that. Delirious isn't the best booker in the world. We all have talked bad about him. But c'mon, this year was going to be a disaster after the exodus and you know what, is has been the best year ever. Great TV, great crowds and solid top to bottom shows. Booking isn't the best, but it's pretty good in most part. This booking is better than the other two companies in national TV (WWE and Impact). Is it as great as it was in 2005? No. Is it bad? No. Also, you can't compare a booking during a DVD Era when every show had to be awesome for selling copies to the current era, with national tv tapings, b-shows, VODs and iPPVs/PPVs. It isn't the same.

You always talk like ROH is acting like TNA back in the early 2010s. ROH had an awesome run as the big super-indy, had some darker years with the beggining of their TV deal but now they are in a phonomenal position. They are selling more and more, their crowds are increasing, they are generating more buzz than ever and they are MAKING MONEY, something they weren't able to do in almost a DECADE. Why should they change? Just bc a part of the old fanbase wants them to be "super-indy cool"? Don't misunderstand me, I LOVED ROH's Golden years. I know they aren't the best promotion in the world from an in-ring perspective, but I still enjoy their product bc is very good. Now you'll say it isn't good for the ROH standars and this discussion will go forever.

Time past and everything changes. ROH has been able to grow, have international exposure and still keep the good wrestling. It isn't about "Honor", super dream cards and all of that anymore. Now is about having a solid product, making money and increase their fanbase (something that they are doing great so far). Please, stop talking about current ROH comparing it to the old one. Just enjoy, or stop watching, the current one. Don't compare it to the old ROH in every single review. Everybody knows that it has changed. With all the wrestling available nowadays, you don't have to watch every single ROH show if it hurts you so much.

ROH started and grew up in the businness being a Super-Indy. But they have established and expanded thanks to their current format. It's a company. They have evolved and times have proved they were right.
There is no reason that a change of format means that the quality of the storytelling has to suffer. I have explained numerous times how it would be extremely simple to make the DVD/VOD-only shows into shows that, while not essential viewing, serve as extra examples of what we see on TV (guy on a winning streak, partners not getting along etc.) and simply have the announcers mention to the viewer that in addition to the big win we saw him get on TV the last time he was on the show, Wrestler X also went undefeated on our recent tour of live events. Making those shows reinforce what we're seeing on TV rather either treading water or even worse actively working against it like Delirious' booking often does.

You saw ROH isn't making the same mistakes that TNA did? You say 2017 was going to be a disaster no matter what after the exodus we saw in the first half of the year? I strongly disagree. Guys are leaving? So do your job as a booker and tell stories to get new guys over to replace them. Who has been pushed this year in a meaningful way to replace those who have left? Pretty much no one other than Cody, Bully Ray, and Kenny King. You could say Silas, but I'm afraid that this will be just like every other push that Silas has gotten, where he just fades into the background afterwards and loses all of his momentum.
What are half of the roster even doing right now? Guys who should be the next crop of guys you elevate spent most of the year doing absolutely nothing. The best you could do for White and Martinez was a months-long feud against each other that had no substance to it other than them attacking each other during and after matches? Taven has spent the whole year doing nothing. Shane Taylor hasn't done sh*t. Adam Page has a good feud with Kazarian then once again goes back to being Bullet Club's designated job-boy. Scurll hasn't really done anything other than lose his title to a dude who spends most of his time in Japan. Delirious is still making the same exact mistakes that caused guys like Rush, Dijak, ACH, and Cedric to leave. Booking ridiculous overbooking in major blow-offs, hot-shotting title changes to try to get attention, pushing old dudes who suck in the ring because of nostalgia and letting them dominate the show, losing the identity of the promotion. What could possibly be a more TNA-esque set of mistakes to make failing to heed the warnings of the past.
ROH isn't expanding because of the current model. They're expanding despite it. Yes, they draw a lot of people with Bullet Club, but how much do you think they'd draw without Bullet Club on the show at all. If it was just Briscoes, Lethal, Bully, Dalton, Silas, Addiction, MCMG, Martinez, Kingdom, Burger etc? It'd just be a hodgepodge of random stuff. ROH is tremendously lucky that the Bucks and Omega are rather brilliant businessmen. That's the reason for ROH's current financial success. It has had nothing to do with the booking.
This is a never-ending story BRM, you know, I know it ahahaha. You aren't going to change your mind but man, how in the hell can you say ROH is making the same mistakes that TNA did ? Makes no sense for me:

- You say Delirious hasn't replace the guys who left, but he has signed Chuck Taylor (and made Baretta a regular), Bully Ray, Cody, Flip Gordon, Jonathan Gresham, Shane Taylor, Josh Woods and has made Martinez and Coast 2 Coast relevant.

- They've been building Martinez well and slow. They have given him some big victories and matches with NJPW talent and top stars. You can dislike The Kingdom, but they are a well-booked heel stable that always get reaction. The only time Taven was "lost" was during O'Ryan's injury! Scurll hasn't done anything, yeah, he has only been TV champ for six months having awesome matches, he has joined Bullet Club and now he's IWGP Jr. Champ. Yeah, KUSHIDA is also a very bad worked and, if you didn't notice, he was IN EVERY SINGLE ROH SHOW when he was TV champ. Page is trios champ and has grown a lot this year too. And yeah, Cedric, Rush and Dijak left bc they hated Delirious, not because they wanted to sign with WWE, how stupid I am.

- "pushing old dudes who suck in the ring because of nostalgia and letting them dominate the show, losing the identity of the promotion" this makes 0 sense. Who is pushing old dudes? The only old dude was Bully, and he was trios champ bc O'Ryan got injured and he has always stayed in the midcard. My god, you are comparing this to TNA making RVD or Mick Foley champ? Has ROH created stables like Main Event Mafia, Fortune or Inmortal with Booker T, Nash, Flair, Hogan or Bischoff in it?

- "hot-shotting title changes to try to get attention," Other no sense. Daniels won the belt with a big story and then Cody won it at BITW. TV Title --> Scurll, KUSHIDA and King all with good reigns and coronations. Tag Titles --> They only gave The Hardys the titles so fast bc of the problems with TNA and then signing with WWE before expected. Trios title --> only changed hands quick bc of O'Ryan's injury.

- " Yes, they draw a lot of people with Bullet Club" Is it bad that your DRAWS, people that you've build to do that, are the ones that bring people to your shows? I will say it again, Soaring Eagle Cup, 1000 people with no matches and only one Young Buck. You are talking like BC are the only thing over in the company. Cody was over before joinning the BC.

- "You could say Silas, but I'm afraid that this will be just like every other push that Silas has gotten, where he just fades into the background afterwards and loses all of his momentum", Silas's current push has nothing similar with his only big push in 2014 when he had the feud with Steen.

I can understand that you don't like the current booking, but saying is THAT bad and comparing it to TNA is just too much. There's a big difference between don't liking something and hating about everything.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Joe Koff told new details about ROH streaming service:
The last time you and I spoke, you said there were no plans to do an additional streaming service; you were pretty happy with what was currently available on your website. But now, there are. What changed?

Yeah, we have an app coming out in the first quarter. It really became developmentally the right time to do it. We saw an opportunity. We had a long discussion about it. We looked at the business model and how it impacts our business. We just felt that this was the time to create our own Ring of Honor stream.

>>MORE: From the world of Pro Wrestling

What can fans expect?

You’re going to see an enhanced Honor Club. We tested it during the Global Wars Tour of streaming house shows to ringside members. You’re going to see a lot more content available, not only to everybody, but certainly in that Honor Club. [When we tested] streaming for two shows, our response was terrific from a quality standpoint and from an accessibility standpoint.

Would the plan be to also to put your Pay-Per-Views on that stream, and move away from the traditional Pay-per-View model?

Well we might continue both. I would like to migrate personally to stream model, because a lot of people are watching on those devices anyway. And the quality is so good. And you know a lot of those boxes are hooked up to big sets and smart TVs and stuff like that. I’m not ruling out traditional pay-per-views, but the world is going that way.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Maybe just a stream for most shows via the subscription and PPVs for the major shows -- Final Battle, Death Before Dishonor, Best in the World, and Supercard of Honor.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 amLong text.
DING DING DING

But let's go back to this.
To be fair, I really don't see those shows as anything more than a random untelevised house show at this point, but they definitely should put some thought into them since they're still charging fifteen bucks each.
I'm still stunned people think Young is destined to get some kind of big push. This guy is basically the heel undercard gatekeeper and that's the perfect spot for him considering his age. Putting him higher on the pecking order would be the equivalent of a blue slime becoming a boss in a Dragon Quest game.
Feels more like 1997-1998 WCW than anything TNA, but I guess it's a mix of both.
BUT OUR LORD AND SAVIOR CODY RHODES!!!
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I just want to remind people in general that what we, as hardcore wrestling fans, consider good booking is not always what makes a company popular among the wide audience.

Remember, Vince Russo was booking TNA during its ratings peak.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

@Thelone Aight, I see you, I see you. Pretty good workaround there.

I'm just going to stick my nose in this now before it gets loud because it doesn't look like either side is being influenced by each other's Discourse. You've both made clearly stated your cases, and I think if this continues it'll just become a game of tag.

While I'm much more on the Big Red Machine side of things on questioning the creative, I will credit that Alex makes some good points. The Soaring Eagle Cup drew ridiculously well in an isolated and unexplored city without a real Bullet Club crutch or even an established main event. Hell, ROH even does well for TV tapings that have Frankie Kazarian in a singles main event! It's really tempting to point at the penetration of New Japan/Bullet Club in the US as the main component of ROH's current success, though I'm thinking more and more that it's more complex than that, even if creative isn't making many strides to resolve their issues. Looking at gates, ROH is just showing signs of being a popular brand now. Also, it's been understated, but Chuck Taylor has been a great addition to the roster, and is one of the few defections ROH has produced from EVOLVE. Taylor and Baretta both look to be in their career prime, so this is a great time to push Best Friends. If they can figure out how to push them as singles stars then I think they can probably patch up a lot of holes currently in their singles field. Martinez is getting a steady push, even if it's not at the pace I think it should be.
famicommander wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:16 pm I just want to remind people in general that what we, as hardcore wrestling fans, consider good booking is not always what makes a company popular among the wide audience.

Remember, Vince Russo was booking TNA during its ratings peak.
Finally--the pro-populism thread we've all been waiting for--
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I didn't place a value judgment on it. I was just pointing it out because it was implied that Bullet Club was insulating ROH from the financial consequences of poor booking. I'm saying that, good or bad, we don't know what kind of financial impact the booking would have on the company absent Bullet Club.

It's just a leap in logic that doesn't necessarily support the positions it was being used in favor of.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Wilson wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:19 pm Finally--the pro-populism thread we've all been waiting for--
famicommander wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:16 pm I didn't place a value judgment on it. I was just pointing it out because it was implied that Bullet Club was insulating ROH from the financial consequences of poor booking. I'm saying that, good or bad, we don't know what kind of financial impact the booking would have on the company absent Bullet Club.

It's just a leap in logic that doesn't necessarily support the positions it was being used in favor of.
I was teasing a joke out. Your post was read as very consciously unloaded. Your follow-up post (quoted) is a pretty efficient argument.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NJPW's TV show is due to premiere in India soon, and it's going to be on the same channel that airs ROH TV.

That's the second time ROH has premiered in a new country, only for NJPW to follow it to the same channel months later (the first being Fight Network in Canada).
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

WWE has to be angry. They are now running at the Center Stage in Atalanta for their NXT TV Tapings... the week before ROH's taping.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article ... 68226238=1