Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by AlexROH »

I don't know if any of you have seen this one, but I'm watching the Steve Corino and Jimmy Jacobs' shoot interview that is on Highspots Wrestling Network (Full Case of Tales: SCUM) and man, the story about Corino and Missy Hyatt is fucking hilarious. The funniest thing I've hearded in a long time hahahahah.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

TowerOfDoom wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:15 pm I want Flip Gordon and Coast 2 Coast to be the next six man tag champs.
They gotta start pushing the three of them first.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Via PWSheet:
After months of joking about it, and just one day after Bullet Club “invaded” Raw, WWE sent The Young Bucks an ACTUAL cease and desist letter over the “Too Sweet” hand gesture.

Pro Wrestling Sheet has confirmed WWE reached out to the popular Ring of Honor/NJPW tag team to say they own the copyright to the “Too Sweet” hand gesture and have discovered that the brothers have been using it in other companies, as well as on merch.

Therefore, WWE is demanding the Bucks stop using WWE intellectual property in-ring and on any merchandise immediately. If not, they may be hit with $150K in damages or more.

They also want an agreement in writing saying the brothers wont use WWE IP again in the future.

It’s unclear at this point whether The Young Bucks plan to fight this, but sources tell us they’ve consulted with a lawyer and will figure out what’s best in the days to come.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

If I'm the Young Bucks, I keep on doing it. Vince suing them would get them so much attention and cred.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

famicommander wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:21 pm If I'm the Young Bucks, I keep on doing it. Vince suing them would get them so much attention and cred.
They already have attention and cred, and I figure Vince probably pays for keeps and sues them for a sh*t ton of money, so maybe they shouldn't. What they did at Raw was completely childish. They deserve this.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

It was funny. Everything in wrestling is childish. Lighten up a bit.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Nah, wrestling is serious business. If it's not serious what's the point? :roll:

I doubt they'll continue using it to be safe, but thus far from what I'm reading through wrestling fans with legal backgrounds, WWE has only filed trademark on the hand gesture and slogan so this is rather premature to send a cease and desist. The other part of this is, trademarking a hand gesture is next to impossible. Gene Simmons tried to trademark the devil horns and gave up due to how much trouble it was causing him half way through. So while WWE can trademark the slogan "too sweet", the hand gesture itself is actually borrowed by The Kliq from a North Carolina sports team. So no, WWE won't be able to trademark it and if they do go to court The Young Bucks can probably fight it if they wish.

If I were The Bucks, I'd look into Sinclair's lawyers potentially giving them a hand with this. It'll keep ROH and The Bucks sweet and I'm keen to see WWE and Sinclair's legal teams go at it honestly.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:56 am It was funny. Everything in wrestling is childish. Lighten up a bit.
It wasn't even close to being funny. It was dumb.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I laughed when they demanded Marty's umbrella and Cody's last name back.

I laughed when that fan said his tickets were free, especially considering 2/3 of the upper deck were curtained off already for that show.

I laughed when they said they were there to rescue Devitt, Anderson, and Gallows ala X-Pac saying he was there to rescue Hall and Nash.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Cody Rhodes' contract is apparently for 65 ROH dates and 35 NJPW dates per year.

If they're really planning on running 65 shows, that's a significant jump.

Counting Honor Rising, they did 47 shows in 2016 and they're going to end up pretty close to that this year.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Maybe it's common to sign for more shows than they plan to run so they don't have to cherry pick dates to book a guy at the end of the year because they ran more shows earlier in the year than they planned.

35 seems like a ton of NJPW dates, but if they run in the US on a semi regular basis next year maybe it makes sense. Not counting the Long Beach shows, how many NJPW shows has Cody done this year? Two?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

SandsShifter

Post by SandsShifter »

maxx_powerz wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:46 pm Not counting the Long Beach shows, how many NJPW shows has Cody done this year? Two?
9 shows, for the record. WK11, 2 Honor Rising shows, Dontaku, Road to Dominion, Dominion, and 3 G1 shows.
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

I know many will disagree here, but I've purchased every VOD/PPV from ROH in 2016 and 2017 (except DBD, not yet), and have gone back to watch the VOD events on the website from 2011, 2012, and the first part of 2013. I personally have not yet seen a bad one. Even the worst of them are still good wrestling shows to me. ROH puts on damn good live events, consistently, time after time.
Big Red Machine

ROHfan2002 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:23 am I know many will disagree here, but I've purchased every VOD/PPV from ROH in 2016 and 2017 (except DBD, not yet), and have gone back to watch the VOD events on the website from 2011, 2012, and the first part of 2013. I personally have not yet seen a bad one. Even the worst of them are still good wrestling shows to me. ROH puts on damn good live events, consistently, time after time.
There are some pretty bad ones in May-September 2012, plus a few this year and last year, but the issue people have had with them is not that they have been stinkers but rather that they have been mediocre while not really doing anything to either add to the storylines (even in a minor way) or to help get the wrestlers over by letting them- especially younger talent- go out there and have breakout matches. The issue isn't that they are of extremely low quality. It's that they feel unimportant and sanitized.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Marty Scurll is the new WCPW World Heavyweight champion.
SandsShifter

Post by SandsShifter »

AlexROH wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:26 pm Marty Scurll is the new WCPW World Heavyweight champion.
Wonder if they have him showing off the belt in ROH? RevPro and WCPW have been friendly in the past, so I don't see an issue with that.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

SandsShifter wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:04 pm
AlexROH wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:26 pm Marty Scurll is the new WCPW World Heavyweight champion.
Wonder if they have him showing off the belt in ROH? RevPro and WCPW have been friendly in the past, so I don't see an issue with that.
I can guarantee they won't. ROH could care less about WCPW.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

my dream final battle card :

roh world tittle
cody vs dalton castle

singles match
marty scurll vs austin aries

dream match
kota ibushi vs will ospreay

world tag tean ch
mcmg vs war machine

tv tittle
kenny king vs silas young

six man tag team ch
bullet club (young bcuks & adam page ) vs best friends & flip gordon vs the kingdom vs the adiction & jay lethal

grudge match
briscoes vs bully ray and...idk.,dreamer

sinlges match
punisher martinez vs minoru suzuki

woh title

deonna purazzo vs kelly klein

internet exclusive

jon gresham vs jay white
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

monster mafia wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:04 am internet exclusive

jon gresham vs jay white
Can't we just dream bigger than internet exclusive for The Octopus?