Random ROH Classic Thoughts

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: Random ROH Classic Thoughts

Post by Big Red Machine »

I have Rising Above at ****3/4 and SCOH at *****. They're both must-see.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

why roh let go Keith Lee? why?????????

fuck off.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

monster mafia wrote:why roh let go Keith Lee? why?????????

fuck off.
Keith and Shane were both offered contracts. Shane signed while Keith chose EVOLVE for a singles push.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i know that...well,maybe they wait too much in offer those contracts.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

fuck off.
I believe this should have been posted in Random ROH Thoughts, not Random ROH Classic Thoughts .
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:

fuck off.
I believe this should have been posted in Random ROH Thoughts, not Random ROH Classic Thoughts .
oh shit...you right,my bad!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

monster mafia wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:

fuck off.
oh shit...you right,my bad!
I will agree with you though about Keith Lee. It appears his trifecta of matches thus far are getting high praise. ROH should have bent over backwards to keep the guy.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Yesterday I finished ROH's 2002. It was very cool to see the very first ROH shows at the Murphy Rec. Center and all the talent involved that would become top stars in the future. Most of the shows were a mixed bag, with some bad and average matches. But man, the highs were very high. I mean, you have random matches and stupid stuff, but then you have all the classic matches, with GREAT wrestling. I loved that concept of ROH being about sport and not entertaiment and the original Code of Honor. It made the product feel different, and not like today's, with all the interferences, ref. bumps and shitty entertaiment.

Top 10 matches:

1.- Dragon vs Low Ki - RRC *****
2.- Danielson vs Ki vs Daniels ****1/2
3.- Styles vs Danielson - ASE ****1/4
4.- Ki vs Styles - Night of Appreciation ****1/4
5.- Daniels vs AJ Styles - Road to the Title ****1/4 (I find with match way to underated. Awesome stuff by these two)
6.- [Fight Without Honor] Joe vs Ki ****
7.- London vs Danielson - Night of the Butcher ****
8.- [Street Fight] Michael Shane vs London ****
9.- Ki vs Red - Road to the Title ****
10.- [Iron Man] Ki vs Daniels vs Spanky vs Williams - Crowning a Champion ***3/4 (I expected a lot more from this match. It was a good match, but Spanky really felt out of place and he didn't do anything relevant. It also had some parts were they weren't doing anything, like in the 4 Way at Final Battle between Corino, Joe, Ki and Danielson).
Big Red Machine

AlexROH wrote:
1. Dragon vs Low Ki - RRC *****
This is a match that gets nowhere near enough love and attention.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Surprised you didn't have the all star 4-way from Final Battle 2002 on your top 10, I've got it on mine, loved that match a lot more than I thought I would. Thought it was better than the Crowning A Champion 4-way Iron Man.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Mike Adamle wrote:Surprised you didn't have the all star 4-way from Final Battle 2002 on your top 10, I've got it on mine, loved that match a lot more than I thought I would. Thought it was better than the Crowning A Champion 4-way Iron Man.
Yeah. I was hyped for that match. I love Corino and Joe, Ki and Danielson are awesome. I read mixed reviews and, in the end, I felt the match too long. It wasn't organic and they killed way too much time just for reaching the time límit. It was just a good match, btw.

If you want to see rating for all the matches I saw from 2002 you can check it in this link:

https://t.co/CtraRgiFf8
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Yesterday I was watching some random matches with a friend and I fell in love with the Danielson-Aries 2/3 Falls match. Awesome stuff and way better than the infamous ******1/4 time limit draw between Okada and Omega at Dominion. 74 minutes of pure wrestling. I'm proud of having a DVD with this match --> ****3/4
Big Red Machine

AlexROH wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:26 am Yesterday I was watching some random matches with a friend and I fell in love with the Danielson-Aries 2/3 Falls match. Awesome stuff and way better than the infamous ******1/4 time limit draw between Okada and Omega at Dominion. 74 minutes of pure wrestling. I'm proud of having a DVD with this match --> ****3/4
This might seem weird, but it always felt to me like this match would have seemed a lot more impressive if it wasn't 2/3 falls.
Scottanized

Post by Scottanized »

As someone who didn't read the forums as much back then, was there any talk of Danielson coming back to ROH after his release from WWE during the Nexus angle? I find it strange he didn't have even one match back.
Big Red Machine

Scottanized wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:47 am As someone who didn't read the forums as much back then, was there any talk of Danielson coming back to ROH after his release from WWE during the Nexus angle? I find it strange he didn't have even one match back.
Everyone was expecting it, but it never happened. If I recall correctly, Danielson at one point said that he and Pearce both agreed that it wouldn't be so good if he was in for, like, one or two shows, without any storylines. I totally disagree with that sentiment because he's Bryan freakin' Danielson, but (assuming I am remembering correctly) that's what they both thought. I assume if he hadn't been resigned by WWE (he was close to signing a contract with New Japan when WWE called him again) he would have wound up working ROH as regularly as possible as well.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I've just finished 2003. Great year! Way better than 2002. Shows are more consistent now. In 2002, maybe, you had higher points, but the cards were mixed bags. In 2003, the shows were more solid. Great character work and use of the midcard. Main Event scene was awesome with Samoa F'n Joe and his awesome world title run. The only thing I didn't like too much was the booking of the tag team titles.

As everyone said, Homicide was the MVP of the year, fantastic job in every type of match or feud. London had a great run too and an emotional farewell (compare this to Adam Cole's """"farewell"""" in Philly lol). Xavier proved everybody wrong (myself included) with a great second half of the year. I really liked the use of 4 Corner Survival matches too. Punk-Raven was a great feud, but as I read before, after DBD everythings got worse. Awesome to see how many great matches ROH put without Bryan Danielson. Overall, I had an awesome time watching 2003 and I'm really looking foward to the second half of 2004 (I already watched stuff until Reborn: Completion some months ago).

Here's my top match list (everything I have over 4 stars):

1. [2/3 Falls] Paul London vs Bryan Danielson - Epic Encounter *****

2. Doug Williams vs Christopher Daniels - Night of the Champions ****1/2

3. AJ Styles vs Paul London - Night Of The Grudges ****1/4
4. [Dog Collar] CM Punk vs Raven - Death Before Dishonor ****1/4
5. [No Rope Barbed Wire] Steve Corino vs Homicide - War of the Wire ****1/4
6. AJ Styles vs Bryan Danielson - Main Event Spectacles ****1/4
7. AJ Styles vs Low Ki vs Paul London - One Year Anniversary ****1/4

8. Paul London vs Christopher Daniels - Round Robin Challenge II ****
9. Samoa Joe vs Christopher Daniels - Glory By Honor II ****
10. [No Holds Barred] Steve Corino vs Homicide - Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies ****
11. Jay Briscoe vs Samoa Joe - Tradition Continues ****
12. Xavier vs Paul London - One Year Anniversary ****
13. [Fight Without Honor] Trent Acid vs Homicide - Wrestle Rave ****

If you want to see every rating you can do it at my spreadsheet --> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1089097335
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:17 pm I've just finished 2003. Great year! Way better than 2002. Shows are more consistent now. In 2002, maybe, you had higher points, but the cards were mixed bags. In 2003, the shows were more solid. Great character work and use of the midcard. Main Event scene was awesome with Samoa F'n Joe and his awesome world title run. The only thing I didn't like too much was the booking of the tag team titles.

As everyone said, Homicide was the MVP of the year, fantastic job in every type of match or feud. London had a great run too and an emotional farewell (compare this to Adam Cole's """"farewell"""" in Philly lol). Xavier proved everybody wrong (myself included) with a great second half of the year. I really liked the use of 4 Corner Survival matches too. Punk-Raven was a great feud, but as I read before, after DBD everythings got worse. Awesome to see how many great matches ROH put without Bryan Danielson. Overall, I had an awesome time watching 2003 and I'm really looking foward to the second half of 2004 (I already watched stuff until Reborn: Completion some months ago).

10. [No Holds Barred] Steve Corino vs Homicide - Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies ****

If you want to see every rating you can do it at my spreadsheet --> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1089097335
London vs. Danielson at The Epic Encounter was about as fucking as perfect of a match as I had seen since Flair/Steamboat matches. Glad you liked it.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:42 pm
AlexROH wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:17 pm I've just finished 2003. Great year! Way better than 2002. Shows are more consistent now. In 2002, maybe, you had higher points, but the cards were mixed bags. In 2003, the shows were more solid. Great character work and use of the midcard. Main Event scene was awesome with Samoa F'n Joe and his awesome world title run. The only thing I didn't like too much was the booking of the tag team titles.

London vs. Danielson at The Epic Encounter was about as fucking as perfect of a match as I had seen since Flair/Steamboat matches. Glad you liked it.
Totally agree. This match isn't just 5 stars, is one of the greatest 5 stars matches in the history of pro wrestling. Plus, the Williams-Daniels match is underated as fuck, people don't talk enought about that masterpiece.
Big Red Machine

I haven't watched the Epic Encounter match in about a decade. Maybe it's time I go back and revisit it.

Also, no love for Walters vs. Xavier from Final Battle?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:14 am I haven't watched the Epic Encounter match in about a decade. Maybe it's time I go back and revisit it.

Also, no love for Walters vs. Xavier from Final Battle?
You should watch it again, it is still pretty awesome.

And yeah, like I said, I loved Xavier's work in the second half of the year. His feud with Walters was great. Loved their promos and tag/4 corner survival matches. I had their Fight Without Honor at ***3/4. It would be 4 stars if it wasn't for the botch in the last spot. I liked more the Shane-London No DQ match or the first Fight Without Honor with Ki and Joe. As I said before too, 2003 had tons of strongs shows with a lot of ***1/2 - ***3/4 matches.