Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

Post by Big Red Machine »

Thelone wrote:It's almost like Delirious fucking sucks at his job and can't use an undefeated streak angle in any kind of meaningful way. Remember when... Jay Briscoe ended Fish's streak in a random TV match for no reason? Or when Moose just lost with no fanfare whatsoever to Alexander and his billionth failed push?
I don't even remember Fish having a streak, LOL. As for Moose and Cedric, I thought that one worked and if Cedric hadn't been totally killed in the follow-up to that by the "unsafe working environment lawsuit" gimmick people wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem with it.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Again I enjoyed TV this week, can't say there are many weeks where I don't but it has really become a consistently good hour of wrestling TV. I can say hands down I enjoy it far more than Raw considering what ROH can do in 1 hour and WWE struggled to do in 3.

I do enjoy Cody's mic work, the ending of it felt a bit flat but I do like his smarmy, rather methodical approach to it. Daniels did his stuff everything's just professional it almost feels like it isn't real enough, similar to Lance Storms in ring work and I think Cody has a similar with his in ring stuff as well.

I thought all the matches were Good to abouve that, Didn't see anything wrong with Taylor and Rush, personally I think I would have gone a bit further with the beat down on Rush afterwards and maybe the match as a whole considering he was leaving, It would have maybe made the after with MCMG mean a bit more.

Top prospect, a bit of tension and nervousness I think but otherwise I thought it was fine. Woods needs to get a bit better cardio and maybe change up the bottom rope moves but apart from that I like what he offers. Skyler for someone didn't connect to the crowd, I think it could have been down to his physicality I think if he just upped that a bit more him being a heel would have paid off more, also his move set isn't the most exciting for some I imagine. I loved the introduction the Starr he came off really well far better than I thought he would, he was far cleaner on the mic than I expected but I hope this is really the beginning of something for him and lower card guys in general.

TV title match was good, the DDT on the outside certainly threw them a bit as I think Kaz banged up his leg, they recovered though and enjoyed what they did, the interference worked again and I hope they do more like the mugging in the car park than just matches with Page and Kaz.

If Sydal had a bit more recognisable music at the start the debut would have meant more and the reaction would have been better but it was good to see him back and looking forward to the match.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Not feeling this weeks show.

I dont usually miss but after the reports you all have given I won't even waste my time.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Flip Gordon looked nice on this week's episode. Would like to see him again.
Big Red Machine

I know I'm over a month behind, but here are my thoughts on the latest episode I have seen:

NEW ROH WORLD CHAMPION CHRISTOPHER DANIELS ADDRESSES THE CROWD- He pours an appletini so the crowd, which had just finished giving him a nice “YOU DESERVE IT!” chant, starts to chant “APPLETINI!’ You don’t have to chant at every f*cking opportunity. Chant when you have an actual EMOTION TO EXPRESS! You love the match or hate a wrestler or you want to see another wrestler win or you’re grateful to the wrestlers or the company. Don’t chant sh*t just because you can. You are supposed to be “part of the show” only to the extent that your expression of emotions adds to the atmosphere of the situation. “APPLETINI!” is not an emotion. It’s you chanting just because you can, which is really just you trying to get yourselves over.
Daniels is wearing a full suit and tie rather than his “ring general” attire. If he’s the same guy, then why is he dressed differently? That was very odd.
He puts over his plan to outsmart Adam Cole & the Bullet Club and says he will be defending the title all over the world. Kaz then pipes in that he won a shot at the ROH World TV Title at the PPV so he is coming for Marty Scurll’s TV Title, but even though they’re both focusing on singles gold right now they’re still going to be a team. This was a fine info-dump, but I was hoping for a lot more of a speech from Daniels, especially since we didn’t get one at the PPV due to PPV time constraints (and, due to Cole’s impending departure, it would have made perfect sense to have Cole come out and interrupt Daniels and set up Cole’s rematch, which you could do at the Baltimore tapings next month, soon after Supercard of Honor XI). Speaking of Supercard of Honor XI…

DALTON CASTLE COMES OUT-
Then Dalton Castle came out and Kevin Kelly asked “what’s on Dalton Castle’s mind? We’ll find out.”
Yes, I know he’s pitching to a commercial break but he still sounded like a moron for asking “what’s on Dalton Castle’s mind?” because anyone who has been following the product knows that Dalton is the #1 contender to Daniels’ ROH World Title and has his shot coming up at ROH’s very next show. There were a million better things to say here. Best would have been something along the lines of “and here comes Dalton Castle. He’s got a shot at the ROH World Title in a few weeks at Supercard of Honor... but what does he want with Christopher Daniels tonight?” Something that not only establishes why Dalton is important, but which doesn’t make it sound like Kevin Kelly is completely mystified as to why Dalton might be out here. This is issue almost entirely stems from Kevin Kelly’s style of announcing, which usually involves using this tone of voice that punctuates everything he says with the question “See? Isn’t this SOOOOOO intriguing?” This style of announcing is absolutely horrific because not only does it often result in Kevin coming across like a total idiot because he can’t figure out the most obvious answers to even the simplest questions, but because it makes him come across not as an announcer character reacting to the events in front of him but as someone who is speaking to me through the TV screen and trying to convince me that something is exciting. He thus not only comes off as a phony hype-man when things aren’t anywhere near as intriguing as he seems to be, but he creates a major disconnect by essentially breaking the fourth wall (and I mean in the very “literal” kind of “If we shadows have offended” way) without actually turning towards or acknowledging the audience. Like he is a kayfabe character using the usual kayfabe character means communicating to us on a very non-kayfabe level. It makes the show feel fake and desperate.

Wow. That was quite the tangent (and I promise no more Shakespeare quotes for the duration of this review). Let me restarted that heading. We’re back from out commercial break and we get a…

SEGMENT TO SET UP TONIGHT’S MAIN EVENT-
Dalton Castle was curious about Daniels’ drink. This was funny, but at the same time I really didn’t like it just because I did not for a second buy that Dalton Castle had never heard of or tried an Appletini before.
Dalton cut a very good promo, but right before things looked like they were about to get heated, Adam Cole & the Young Bucks showed up. Cole then cut a good promo on all three guys. Kaz then challenged Cole & the Bucks to a six-man tag team match in tonight’s main event, and they accept… and just like that Kevin Kelly says (paraphrasing) “you heard it here first, folks! This is going to be tonight’s main event.” So are you telling me that not only do they not need approval from anyone to just booked matches but 1) ROH went on the air tonight without even having a main event booked, even though 2) they had hottest act in pro wrestling, the Hardy Boyz defending the ROH World Tag Team Titles against the greatest team in ROH history The Briscoes booked for tonight’s show, but decided that that match should not be the main even though they didn’t have any other main event planned?! COME ON!
This might seem like a very minor thing to complain about but it really bothers me for two reasons. The first is that it makes the company look like kayfabe idiots for going on the air without a main event. Yes, I know that WWE and TNA often do this as well, and it’s dumb when they do it, too. This is supposed to be kayfabe combat sport league. When was the last time you saw UFC go on the air without a main event scheduled (and how much stupider would it be if it was a show that Connor was already scheduled to have a match on but he wasn’t the main event)?
The other reason that this sort of thing really bugs me is, quite frankly, laziness. It took me TWO MINUTES to come up with the following scenario: Tonight’s main event is originally scheduled as Kaz vs. Cole (obviously stemming from Kaz’s actions at the PPV). Everyone knows that the tag title match is the much bigger match and should be the main event, but because Kaz vs. Cole actually is a pretty big match at this point in time plus the fact that Daniels’ celebration was scheduled to open the show and everyone knew that Daniels would want his best friend Frankie Kazarian out there with him, out of respect for the legendary Christopher Daniels ROH management decided that the tag title match would go on before Kaz vs. Cole so that Kaz could have time to prepare for his match (and, because they’re all babyfaces, the Hardys and Briscoes had no problem with this either, also out of respect for Daniels). Then, instead of just making the match on the spot, Kaz challenges Cole to change the match to make it a six-man tag (Cole can justify this by thinking that in addition to getting revenge on Kaz he can now also injure Dalton within the confines of this match [so that ROH can’t punish him for it] and that he will then get the title shot at Supercard of Honor instead of Dalton), and then we wait a few seconds and Kevin or Ian grabs a mic and announces that ROH management just told them over the headset that the match has been approved. It took me two minutes to think of this, but the guy whose job it is to sit around and think about this sort of stuff all day didn’t put in the effort to come up with any sort of explanation for the company’s kayfabe moronic behavior).

MARTY SCURLL BACKSTAGE PROMO- he basically said that he needs better competition and challenged anyone on the ROH roster to step up. When Marty’s promo was done, but- and this is key- while it made sense for the camera to still be rolling- Kenny King stepped onto the screen, saying that he heard Marty running his mouth and he wants a title shot, noting that he himself has beaten two of the men that Marty has recently defended his title against (Lio Rush and Sonjay Dutt- although I’m certain that Sonjay match didn’t take place in ROH… less it happened back during Sonjay’s run in 2009, which seems a little ridiculous for Kenny to use here as justification for a title shot, but then again, Kenny is a heel). Kenny cut the usual excellent Kenny King promo, which Marty then dismissively called “cute,” and accepted the challenge. This match should be quite good. An excellent segment.

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Hardy Boyz(c) vs. The Briscoes- 7.75/10
Yes, the Briscoes are getting YET ANOTHER tag title shot despite not having done a single thing to earn one. Oh. Wait. Sorry. Let me take that back. After their most recent tag title loss at Honor Reigns Supreme they did actually win their next tag match. It was against the Tempura Boyz. Of course, since then they have lost three more matches (including their only actual tag match… to Cole & Omega, who aren’t even a regular team) before they won their six-man match at the 15th Anniversary Show. Factor in that they actually lost yet another match between their last title shot and their win over the Tempura Boyz and Mark & Jay’s record since their last tag title shot a whopping 2-4 as a team overall, and in standard 2 vs. 2 tag matches they are 1-1, with their only victory coming against a pair of jobbers and their loss coming against two guys who don’t even team together very often (for the purposes of completeness I will add that while Jay Briscoe did get a singles win over Jay White last week, he has also recently lost yet another tag match, this time a shot at the ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Titles that he once again did nothing to earn). So yeah. They’ve definitely earned this title shot.
(And while we’re at it, I’d like to note that in the five weeks between their previous tag title loss and the night this show was taped the Briscoes have faced off against some combination of Bullet Club four of their six matches as a team, lost all four times, and yet not a single one of those results has mattered in any way. Way to go, Lizard Man).
And yes, you could point out to me that Bullet Club interfered in their most recent tag title shot so they didn’t lose clean, but I would then point out to you the following:
1. The Briscoes themselves actually cheated first, assaulting the Bucks with chairs after they were up one fall to none, hoping to forfeit the second fall in exchange for causing a debilitating injury to their opponents (you know… like heels would do).
2. That third fall was actually a No DQs match, so not only was Bullet Club’s interference not illegal, the Briscoes actually brought it on themselves by getting DQed on purpose in the second fall instead of trying to put the Bucks away in two straight falls- i.e. BEFORE Bullet Club would be able to interfere.
3. They didn’t do sh*t to earn that title shot, either
4. The announcers never brought this up, so even if this poor justification was what the booker intended, the message was never communicated to the audience in any way.
Oh, and on this note, Kevin Kelly said the following:
“We’ve seen the board of directors take some definitive action when it comes to contenders for championships.”
In other words “we’ve seen them do things.” That’s what he said there. Say what you will about the announcers in WWE or TNA, but at least when they open their mouths they actually say something. It might be something incredibly stupid, but at least it’s something. They’re using their words to attempt to make a point. Kevin Kelly just says words.
But anyway, we’ve totally got to give the undeserving Briscoes yet another title shot despite the fact that the only possible outcome is them jobbing to the Hardys, who ROH knows had to be on their way to WWE simply due to their refusal to sign any sort of longer-term contract, so that’s definitely a good look for ROH.

What is the purpose of the Hardys stealing the Bucks’ stupid gimmick belts? I doubt that could possibly make the Bucks any more upset at the Hardys than winning the real ROH World Tag Team Titles from them, so what is the point of it? All it does is make the Hardys look like jerks.

Okay… with all of that out of the way, this match was really great. They gave it a good eighteen minutes so it had time to breathe and all four guys worked their butts, as usual. I’m also a HUGE mark for the Compactor Clutch, so I popped huge when that was the finish.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine build to Supercard of Honor XI
The Young Bucks come out to the ramp and Kevin Kelly immediately says “it looks like the Young Bucks don’t want to wait until Supercard of Honor!” So Kevin can make a guess as to why the Bucks are out here now but couldn’t possibly fathom why Dalton Castle came out earlier? Even better, Kevin was completely wrong (as usual). Instead of wanting to fight the Hardys the Bucks instead came out here to tell them that they just talked to management and they want their match at Supercard of Honor XI for the ROH World Tag Team Titles to be a Ladder Match. Oh, also the Bucks want the Hardys to put the Superkick Titles on the line. Um… why should they want that? Shouldn’t they just want the Hardys to hand them their stolen property (the Bucks even noted that the Hardys stole the belt). The Hardys accepted.

We went to a commercial break and when we returned we were already in the middle of…

THE BULLET CLUB (Adam Cole & the Young Bucks) vs. THE ADDICTION & DALTON CASTLE (w/the Boys)- 6.75/10
The match was very good, but would have been much better without the comedy. Castle pinning Cole is definitely the right call here.

This was one of the better shows that ROH has put on, both in the ring and overall, in quite a while, yet I find it so frustrating that just a few small changes to sure up the logic would have made the show so much better. The product comes off more and more like TNA where they’re so desperate to do things that they think will draw ratings or get attention that they completely neglect basic storytelling.

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. Kevin Kelly says that “Adam Cole was a fantastic champion.”
Yes, the bar for a champion is now being set so low that a “fantastic” reign involves just three successful defenses, one of which took place on another promotion’s show and was only mentioned in passing, after it occurred, and another of which was against an undercard guy from New Japan who said champion was pinned cleanly by the night after he won the belt.
There was absolutely no reason for Kevin Kelly to say this, but he just felt the need to open his fat gob and say it because I guess he thinks that saying things that made you look ridiculous and kill your credibility are good for the product because what you’re saying is putting someone over. This is the sort of sh*t that everyone says they HATE about WWE, and yet ROH consistently does it, in just about every possible way they can do it in. But, no, they’re totally paying attention to what the fans want to see. Yeah. That’s definitely what happens in the ROH office.

2. Kevin Kelly referred to Adam Cole having to defend the ROH World Title four times in five weeks as a “gauntlet run.” Tell that to the ROH World Champions of the past who would often defend the belt on back to back nights.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Really didn't get into this weeks at all everything just felt off, for me it felt like the crowd just completely through everyone off in ring wise and then everything else just didn't flow well at all. It's probably my least favourtie show in some time.

Coast to Coast I always like, Ali needs to do something instead of the running drop in corner, it just doesn't add enough to overal impact of the combination for me.

I liked what I saw of Gordon although he didn't show anywhere near his best but I imagine he didn't want to fuck up and just wanted to show enough which is fair enough.

Page came off really well in the main event I thought, it was a real sign of growth not just in the ring but I thought also personality wise especially the use of the camera and bringing in the TV audience. White for some reason doesn't know how to control his legs it seems or he is to big for the ring because his timing, running were way off, he did really clock Lethal with a superkick so I don't know if that through him for the match but he just seemed way off thoughout the match.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

BurningHammer wrote:Really didn't get into this weeks at all everything just felt off, for me it felt like the crowd just completely through everyone off in ring wise and then everything else just didn't flow well at all. It's probably my least favourtie show in some time.

Coast to Coast I always like, Ali needs to do something instead of the running drop in corner, it just doesn't add enough to overal impact of the combination for me.

I liked what I saw of Gordon although he didn't show anywhere near his best but I imagine he didn't want to fuck up and just wanted to show enough which is fair enough.

Page came off really well in the main event I thought, it was a real sign of growth not just in the ring but I thought also personality wise especially the use of the camera and bringing in the TV audience. White for some reason doesn't know how to control his legs it seems or he is to big for the ring because his timing, running were way off, he did really clock Lethal with a superkick so I don't know if that through him for the match but he just seemed way off thoughout the match.
Yeah, you know what man? In hindsight that Jay White superkick was spot on analysis that I missed. It did take him out of the match. He pretty much was a non-factor after that. And yeah, Page was outstanding I thought. He has really excelled in his role that he's been given.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
BurningHammer wrote:Really didn't get into this weeks at all everything just felt off, for me it felt like the crowd just completely through everyone off in ring wise and then everything else just didn't flow well at all. It's probably my least favourtie show in some time.

Yeah, you know what man? In hindsight that Jay White superkick was spot on analysis that I missed. It did take him out of the match. He pretty much was a non-factor after that. And yeah, Page was outstanding I thought. He has really excelled in his role that he's been given.
Yeah he was unfortunately, I like White a lot and I hope stuff like this doesn't halt him but it maybe the reason stuff like him losing to Cole happens as they just don't think he is totally ready yet even after such a hot start.

Credit to Lethal as in all honesty because I really thought he was going to be done for the match but he seemingly is a tough bastered and the time he spent on the mat was enough.

Yeah agree on Page he really has grown a lot and done a lot with the time given, I hope it's the start of something bigger for him because he needs it and doesn't need to be thrown back to the begging of a career again which has happened a couple of times already for him.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

ROH TV sucked this week.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

ROH has announced that this satuday's ROH TV episode will be a Honor Rising special. Well, I know it is a good move to promote NJPW and the VODs from last tour, but meh, shows were like 2 moths ago.
Big Red Machine

AlexROH wrote:ROH has announced that this satuday's ROH TV episode will be a Honor Rising special. Well, I know it is a good move to promote NJPW and the VODs from last tour, but meh, shows were like 2 moths ago.
And it's an odd move because the BITW is only a month away.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

This week's episode was very good. So far, good road to BITW.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

David Starr vs. Josh Woods was a really fun little sprint. Both guys looked quite good, and I genuinely hope Starr gets signed. And it was pretty funny that Woods got booed lol
Montana

Post by Montana »

Nice to see the Debut of CHucky T in ROH. I liked the Best Friends / RPG Vice dynamic. Looking forward to more with these guys.

Also, i finally found ROH TV in my area, and so far after the first two episodes, I am impressed. Over the years, i wasn't a big fan of the TV product and primarily ignored it. Seems like the shows put on good matches, they build the characters, and set up storylines for the PPVs. Basically everything a good wrestling show should do. Very fast paced, and much more exciting than other products out there. Maybe a few months down the road, i'll be sick of the TV show, and revert back to the DVDs, but seems like the best way to follow the product (along with the PPVs).
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Finally got back to the TV product and it's been a succession of good to very good episodes, match quality wise a lot felt fresh or at least had new combinations and flows to them which helped with a lot of the episodes.

Notable mentions, the Silas Young and Bobby Fish match was great to me, really loved the story and the ending and I would hope that they could at least do one more match with these guys before Fish has to go. With regards to Silas I have also enjoyed the time that he and Lethal have been given and I hope over the next few episodes that is really explored more.

Gresham is starting to find a real groove and has had some really great moments in the tag matches so far. As a side note, I hope that they don't get rid of Search and Destroy right but unfortunately due to the previous poor booking of them last year I think the idea of Search and Destroy wasn't very clear to fans and the idea of disbanding the group doesn't just doesn't feel as bad as it should. That said I think what ROH has done these last few months with the feud with the Rebellion has good although i have felt it's really missed a couple of very big moments to really set the feud on fire. If they are getting rid of Search and Destroy though, I hope that Shelley goes full heel after the match and creates a new path for himself in ROH as if there is one thing I miss from the 'good old days' it's Shelley as a heel.

I have enjoyed Cody's mic work a tone and his I really enjoyed the promo at the begging of the first episode of the run that I have watched, I think in this instance someone as visible face of the board of ROH would have helped for Cody to really vent to, that said I like how he really picked at the errors he saw in the match and his nuances of his delivery and tone.

Cheeseburger is actually starting to improve quite a bit as pro wrestler although how and why he doesn't hit weights or a gym is beyond me.

Chucky T looked great and had a great reaction throughout, I wouldn't mind seeing a 3 championship team of Trent?, Rocky and Chucky. If not certainly a tag team combo of Best Freinds dethroning the Buck for me would be great.

I thought the finish of the TV title match was good for the most part for everyone involved and obviously alowed a genuine reason set up for the match between Marty and Cole later on and enough to set up a return match for Marty and Kushida.

Bad things, Cabana on commentaryseemed to really loose it at times, especially with his bit with Cody and also in some matches, but hopefully that was just a blip.

I guess it will depend on where they go with the next tapings but I feel there hasn't been enough time given to Daniels and Cody so far, I feel it could really be built into something if they just had more time on TV. Maybe they will push another set of tapings and PPV before Cody wins.

I wasn't so keen on the TV title match itself, I thought it should have been a barn burner and it felt it hurt the moment.

The way War Machine got there way into the title picture just felt pushed and nothing really to it, especially now they lost the IWGP belts there credibility has kind of gone.

Personally I don't like the fact that ROH has promoted the idea of Kushida granting a rematch to Marty, I would have built it up as there was no other choice considering the finnish of their match.

I forgot to say I did think that the set up for the match between Cole and Page could have been better just in it's clarity as is just kind of felt it was going to happen right then or at least that night. When Cole went off it just left a flat ending to what was a becoming a good segment.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

This week's episode was awesome. I liked Scurll/Kushida and the opener with Chucky T in it was really great.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Best Friends and Rocky Romero are my new favorite Trios team
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Jay White promo was quite good.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:41 pm Jay White promo was quite good.
I watched the recent episode--one of the few I've watched this year--because of some of the positive things I've read. I was taken to surprise by White's promo. It's what he's needed for about the past year.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I don't know if they meant this to be a go home TV episode or another one will air this week before the PPV but it wasn't your usual go home TV episode for sure. Really passable and nothing to say of note.

I can see Punishment Martinez either interfering in the Search and Destroy match or Jay White's TV title match considering what came off TV this week.

wierdly I think I would have swapped the first two episodes of this set of TV tapings with this last one around as it would have made a bit more sense timing wise.

That being said, considering what usually happens coming off the Global Wars tour and how out of sync everything usually feels this has been one of the better sets of TV tapings. Hopefully after this set and the PPV like usual we will have a much better flow to ROH.

I kind of hope ROH takes a year away from Global Wars next or maybe looks to tour somewhere else, I still think the best option is to just tape no TV during the tour.