ROH Best in the World 2017 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
dhads7161

Re: ROH Best in the World 2017 Thread

Post by dhads7161 »

Delirious books some pretty dumbass shit too.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I have 0 hype for this PPV and the build hasn't been very good after the average WOTW Tour. However, I think this could be a very entertaining show. Good and important matches have been booked, but I don't see a single one going into the 4+ Start rating. The Tag and TV Title maybe, but I don't think so.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Yeah, same thoughts here. PPV just screams mediocre. I hope that it'll be a surprise and be pretty good, but I expect it to be on the level of BITW last year, ASE 7, and the 14th anniversary show
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

That's a pretty wide range imo, BitW last year was pretty terrible. And I thought the 14th AS was really good. ASE seems like a reasonable measuring stick though. I don't think anything will be as good as ladder war, but I have high hopes (and expectations) for the TV and tag title matches. Hopefully someone else (Cody, Silas, Page, etc) over delivers.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

AlexROH wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:54 am I see KUSHIDA defending the title this Summer. He won't be in the G1 bc he's a Jr. Heavweight, so he could defend It un Summer. Since Silas defeated him at WOTW, I see Silas getting the title from KUSH.

Plus, if ROH and NJPW book this well, KUSHIDA's reign should elevate the prestige of the title. Just like Shibata did with RPW's British Heavyweight Title.
I've never bought this idea that having someone from an overseas promotion win your title somehow adds prestige to it. I don't really think Shibata did it for RevPro and I don't think anyone doing it for any ROH Title really has, either (maybe you could argue for Morishima).
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:42 pm
AlexROH wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:54 am I see KUSHIDA defending the title this Summer. He won't be in the G1 bc he's a Jr. Heavweight, so he could defend It un Summer. Since Silas defeated him at WOTW, I see Silas getting the title from KUSH.

Plus, if ROH and NJPW book this well, KUSHIDA's reign should elevate the prestige of the title. Just like Shibata did with RPW's British Heavyweight Title.
I've never bought this idea that having someone from an overseas promotion win your title somehow adds prestige to it. I don't really think Shibata did it for RevPro and I don't think anyone doing it for any ROH Title really has, either (maybe you could argue for Morishima).
Masato Tanaka for the ECW World Heavyweight Championship?
Super Crazy and Yoshihiro Tajiri for the ECW Television Championship?
Jushin Thunder Liger, Ultimo Dragon, Psicosis, or Rey Mysterio* for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship?

*I know Rey was born in San Diego but he established himself in AAA before hitting the states
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Can someone do me a favor and tell me if you can see the video I posted above this sentence?

I am testing it out as I can't seem to see it but I can from my mobile.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

I can't
King of Indy Style

Can't see anything
Big Red Machine

Me either.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I can't see it through my computer browser but on my phone the video is there.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:18 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Masato Tanaka for the ECW World Heavyweight Championship?
Super Crazy and Yoshihiro Tajiri for the ECW Television Championship?
Jushin Thunder Liger, Ultimo Dragon, Psicosis, or Rey Mysterio* for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship?

*I know Rey was born in San Diego but he established himself in AAA before hitting the states
For Tanaka- please explain to me how a six-day title reign with one successful defense adds prestige to anything. It would have been better to not switch the title at all.
For most of the other guys you listed- pretty much all aside from Liger- they didn't feel like guys from other promotions because they were working for the company where they won the belt pretty much the whole time. Morishima won the belt just as soon as he came in so he still had a "one of their guys, not one of ours" NOAH feel about him, and (in large part due to being champion) his semi-frequent absences (during which he went to back to NOAH, often to defend the ROH World Title) were noticeable. It's not about where you were born; it's about who it feels like your main employer is.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Opponents for Kris Wolfe confirmed:

- BITW Pre-Show: Wolfe & Sakai vs Purrazzo & Leon
- TV Tapings: Wolfe vs Sakai
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

AlexROH wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:11 am Opponents for Kris Wolfe confirmed:

- BITW Pre-Show: Wolfe & Sakai vs Purrazzo & Leon
- TV Tapings: Wolfe vs Sakai
Not shocking at all but probably going to be decent matches
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

That strap match was pretty brutal. Fun stuff though.
King of Indy Style

War Machine vs. Bucks vs. BEST FRIENDS was MOTN easily. Best Friends being just as over as the Young Bucks was awesome to see.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I love seeing Taylor and the Best Friends but I hope it doesn't mean we've seen the last of Rocky Romero/Roppongi Vice.
King of Indy Style

Cody. ROH World Champ.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Yep.

Nothing special to say about BITW.