ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
GardenStateSaint

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by GardenStateSaint »

TYFDK wrote: It can't be fun watching wrestling with all this depressing insider knowledge.
This made me laugh and made myself recall the handful of fans sitting behind me at War of the Worlds.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

rovert1 wrote:
Woods was released from a company that rarely releases people. Likely the first flop TPT winner to me.
We're not considering Dijak a flop?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Is there anyone from the TPT that can be seen as a success really?

I mean, Bennett would have been forgotten long ago if Maria wasn't his wife, Taven is a midcarder at best, Hanson is a tag guy, Dijak... was tall and looked good I guess, Rush bailed after a year because he's obviously a piece of shit like ACH and not because he saw the (lack of) light in Delirious' """booking""", and Woods is some NXT reject who's also tall (starting to see a pattern here) and since Croque endorsed him, you know he's the real deal.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Big Red Machine

Thelone wrote:Is there anyone from the TPT that can be seen as a success really?

I mean, Bennett would have been forgotten long ago if Maria wasn't his wife, Taven is a midcarder at best, Hanson is a tag guy, Dijak... was tall and looked good I guess, Rush bailed after a year because he's obviously a piece of shit like ACH and not because he saw the (lack of) light in Delirious' """booking""", and Woods is some NXT reject who's also tall (starting to see a pattern here) and since Croque endorsed him, you know he's the real deal.
Taven definitely was for a while. The issue was that he wasn't followed up on well once he was taken away from Truth and then went right back heel to be Cole's lackey, and once that run was done he felt like he had well out-lived his usefulness since no one sees him as a main-event level singles guy or as any sort of babyface and he's already had a long run as the heel TV champ.
Hanson also definitely seemed like a success for a time. It felt like he was getting a decently good singles push while Rowe was out, but once Rowe came back that immediately ended (and I'm not saying that War Machine shouldn't have gotten back together. I'm just saying that a more skilled booker would have found away to maintain some of the singles overness that Hanson had while also pushing War Machine).
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Thelone wrote:Is there anyone from the TPT that can be seen as a success really?

Hanson also definitely seemed like a success for a time. It felt like he was getting a decently good singles push while Rowe was out, but once Rowe came back that immediately ended (and I'm not saying that War Machine shouldn't have gotten back together. I'm just saying that a more skilled booker would have found away to maintain some of the singles overness that Hanson had while also pushing War Machine).
Wait what? That makes no sense at all.
Big Red Machine

YimYac wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

Wait what? That makes no sense at all.
It makes perfect sense. Look at someone like Kevin Steen in ROH in 2008.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Big Red Machine wrote:Taven definitely was for a while. The issue was that he wasn't followed up on well once he was taken away from Truth and then went right back heel to be Cole's lackey, and once that run was done he felt like he had well out-lived his usefulness since no one sees him as a main-event level singles guy or as any sort of babyface and he's already had a long run as the heel TV champ.
I don't know, his TV title reign was pretty bad all things considered and he was the least over person in the House of Truth behind Martini and the hotties.
While I agree that he had some good showings during his short singles run that could have led somewhere, he really wasn't that over. I still vividly remember that shitty 4-way at the 13th anniversary show when he came out to dead silence.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Big Red Machine wrote:
rovert1 wrote:
Woods was released from a company that rarely releases people. Likely the first flop TPT winner to me.
Absolutely not from the POV of his non-ROH indie work. He was misused/mishandled by ROH management.
Big Red Machine

rovert1 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
rovert1 wrote:
Absolutely not from the POV of his non-ROH indie work. He was misused/mishandled by ROH management.
Right, but the TPT is an inherently ROH thing, no? If you don't succeed in ROH with it, that should make you a TPT flop.
Big Red Machine

Thelone wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Taven definitely was for a while. The issue was that he wasn't followed up on well once he was taken away from Truth and then went right back heel to be Cole's lackey, and once that run was done he felt like he had well out-lived his usefulness since no one sees him as a main-event level singles guy or as any sort of babyface and he's already had a long run as the heel TV champ.
I don't know, his TV title reign was pretty bad all things considered and he was the least over person in the House of Truth behind Martini and the hotties.
In hindsight, you're right. Now that I think about it, I can't remember anything he did other than the title defenses against Mondo and Gowen, both of which were one-offs.
Thelone wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Hanson also definitely seemed like a success for a time. It felt like he was getting a decently good singles push while Rowe was out, but once Rowe came back that immediately ended (and I'm not saying that War Machine shouldn't have gotten back together. I'm just saying that a more skilled booker would have found away to maintain some of the singles overness that Hanson had while also pushing War Machine).
While I agree that he had some good showings during his short singles run that could have led somewhere, he really wasn't that over. I still vividly remember that shitty 4-way at the 13th anniversary show when he came out to dead silence.
That was Vegas. That crowd is atrocious.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

2014 and 2016 were the only years I thought that ROH made the right call on their Top Prospect winners. Woods might eventually turn out OK, but he’s a project to a degree not seen in ROH since Moose.

Michael Bennett was a big, big bust. Taven was a vehicle for (super good) Truth camp. Hanson always seemed hurt and didn’t really match what I thought War Machine was going for, but eventually became the white-meat babyface to rule them all. Dijak improved despite his unshakeable Jindrak-iness. Rush is a star, and really worked well at the ROH level.

Overall, of course, lots of interesting talent has been introduced via the tournament. So much so that its importance should be propped instead of feeling monotonic, if not “deteriorating”. At the very least, either the final match of the tournament or the pursuant title match should be on PPVs. For too long the tournament has just seemed to be born from a want of reliably cheap television.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Mike Bennett married wisely. Maria got him jobs in ROH, NJPW, TNA, and now WWE. Not bad for a guy with below average talent.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Scrubs.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

SweetDaddy wrote:Scrubs.
Weird. Because Bucanero, Atlantis, Mistico, and Guerrero are all pretty big stars in Mexico. The majority of them are over the hill, but they’re far from being scrubs.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

They're just scrubs because they're not who he wanted.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

no dragon lee or rush :(...still good

imagine mistico vs ospreay? can be great.
Big Red Machine

monster mafia wrote:
imagine mistico vs ospreay?
That is a wonderful thought that somehow has never before entered my mind.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote:Mike Bennett married wisely. Maria got him jobs in ROH, NJPW, TNA, and now WWE. Not bad for a guy with below average talent.
Oh come on. Bennett is at least average.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Big Red Machine wrote:
famicommander wrote:Mike Bennett married wisely. Maria got him jobs in ROH, NJPW, TNA, and now WWE. Not bad for a guy with below average talent.
Oh come on. Bennett is at least average.
Bennett had a mediocre at the very best match with HIROSHI TANAHASHI when Tana was arguably in his prime. If Tanahashi can't drag a great match from Bennett, Bennett is hopelessly bad, and should be counting his lucky stars each and every day he can ride his wife's coat tails.