ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
On the 4/29 show in Hopkins, MN, which was the day before his contract expired, Adam Cole lost to Matt Taven. He was in the ring and milked the crowd chanting “Thank You Adam” and it came across like this was his farewell. Cole got a sendoff and left to a standing ovation. Cole hasn’t officially said anything, but he wasn’t going to say anything if he’s going to WWE because nobody is allowed to say anything publicly on that. Cole is booked on the upcoming War of the Worlds tour and as of this week, those were not scheduled to be his final shows with the company. But the strong hint is also that his 5/19 PWG show will be his last with that company and the show is being called “Cole.” WWE has been hot after Cole to be a top star in the NXT brand for a long time, a deal that’s been held up by his ROH contract. While there is nothing official, now that he is a free agent, he may be joining the group potentially waiting on WWE to make official offers to ex-ROH guys after WWE backed off on everyone. While the expectation has been Cole to NXT when his contract expires for some time, both Impact and New Japan have also made offers for him. I would think he’d need a new name in WWE because of Michael Cole, but you never know, because they didn’t give Eric Young a new name because of Renee Young and Darren Young
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

insider:

Matt Sydal's loss to ROH TV champion Marty Scurll last night was Sydal's final appearance for Ring of Honor. Sydal is signing with Impact Wrestling and will not be working tomorrow's ROH TV taping in Philadelphia. Last night was it for him in ROH.

Adam Cole's final scheduled appearance for ROH is in Philadelphia tomorrow but the door is open for him to work additional dates, similar to how Bobby Fish has continued working for the company since his deal expired.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

I guess it's been said 100 times but Sydal is no loss.

I met him in the parking lot of a ROH show in Nashville one time.

Didn't they just sign Flip Gordon?

Exact same hand.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

and roh makes zero effort for sydal because of the npw hting..so maybe is good for both parts.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

supersonic wrote:
That link wasn't showing up on chrome.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Thank you, Adam.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Ospreay sounds like a 24 year old that doesn't know what he wants. First he says he likes to put his body on the line to get ROH exposure, then he says he will probably be in NJPW for life, then he says he wants to go back to the UK and stay on the indie scene when he is 30, then he expresses interest in WWE and says he "has no choice" when it comes to ROH/NJPW.

That is not a criticism. It's okay for a guy as young and talented as he is to not know what he wants yet.

I'm just saying that if he says that many different things during the course of a single interview, it's probably a fruitless endeavor to speculate about what he will do nearly 2 years from now.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

famicommander wrote:Ospreay sounds like a 24 year old that doesn't know what he wants. First he says he likes to put his body on the line to get ROH exposure, then he says he will probably be in NJPW for life, then he says he wants to go back to the UK and stay on the indie scene when he is 30, then he expresses interest in WWE and says he "has no choice" when it comes to ROH/NJPW.

That is not a criticism. It's okay for a guy as young and talented as he is to not know what he wants yet.

I'm just saying that if he says that many different things during the course of a single interview, it's probably a fruitless endeavor to speculate about what he will do nearly 2 years from now.
Yeah, that’s a great interpretation of the interview. It’s an odd cocktail of professional solidarity and individual liberation. Nearly impossible to make heads or tails of what he plans to do other than work for a major promotion.

His comment on retiring early alarms me the most. As someone who wrestles such a devil-may-care style, that comment suggests a philosophy of immense physical expense in lieu of a lengthy career. It's ultimately his decision, but it creates a dangerous precedent for the already ludicrously dangerous industry.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Get over it
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

monster mafia wrote:
Get over it
The fact that the Observer is co-opting such a provable falsehood should ring a tocsin that Something Is Not Right. We should all be angry that we're treated still being treated as wrasslin' marks. So, no, there shouldn't be a getting over it. This can't be brushed under the rug.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Wilson wrote:
monster mafia wrote:
Get over it
The fact that the Observer is co-opting such a provable falsehood should ring an alarm that Something Is Not Right. We should all be angry that we're treated still being treated as wrasslin' marks. So, no, there shouldn't be a getting over it. This can't be brushed under the rug.
Of course omega showing in los angeles is contradictory but...

You two want to pretend that something is wrong between njpw and roh when what you see is the opposite

if you two know the omega thing...speak now. insiders

this rovert guy have a battle with meltzer about good or bad info...so i understand.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Not an insider here, not by any means. If he had a Visa issue, there would be no way NJPW advertised Omega this far out as to appear on the Long Island shows. Also, the press conference he's about to have will be on paid time. He can't do this press conference without having a Visa, unless he's willing to do it pro bono. Do you think he only got his Visa during the last five days so as to not be eligible in participating at the New York PPV?

I don't mind that Omega, NJPW, or ROH would comment on it being "Visa issues", and who's for me to say what the real complication would even be. If they sort of want to euphemize it, that's fine. I have a problem with the Observer doing that. That's the very bad part. We all lose when mainstream outlets do that.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Wilson wrote:Not an insider here, not by any means. If he had a Visa issue, there would be no way NJPW advertised Omega this far out as to appear on the Long Island shows. Also, the press conference he's about to have will be on paid time. He can't do this press conference without having a Visa, unless he's willing to do it pro bono. Do you think he only got his Visa during the last five days so as to not be eligible in participating at the New York PPV?

I don't mind that Omega, NJPW, or ROH would comment on it being "Visa issues", and who's for me to say what the real complication would even be. If they sort of want to euphemize it, that's fine. I have a problem with the Observer doing that. That's the very bad part. We all lose when mainstream outlets do that.
im agree with you in that.

I think that njpw wants to make omega a special attraction for shows in usa and dont want to put him in roh yet..but i repeat....is my thought
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

If Omega really had heat with ROH would he have even been willing to do the Marty Scurrl clip?

The answer is "no".
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

But if the heat is between Omega and ROH why hasn't Omega worked for anyone else in the US? Just to keep his hatred for ROH a secret?
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

If Omega was allowed to work in the US, he would have popped up in PWG at least once.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Big Red Machine wrote:But if the heat is between Omega and ROH why hasn't Omega worked for anyone else in the US? Just to keep his hatred for ROH a secret?
What seems most likely to me is that either Kenny wants to protect his health, wants to work on exclusive booking pattern, like top stars can afford to do, or, for whatever reason, isn't thrilled about working in ROH. I don't see anything conspiratorial in any of those, but, all in all, I think it is Kenny's choice.

Kenny might do BOLA again this year, and probably will only make sparse appearances in the US from thereon, just as he's done in the last year. I think any Visa process would have been down pat long ago because he's going to be IWGP champion in a few weeks. The match at Dominion wouldn't be booked if there were any doubts about Kenny.