Official Gateway To Gold (Collinsville 6/4/17) Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

Official Gateway To Gold (Collinsville 6/4/17) Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Here's the official thread for the show in Collinsville, Illinois on June 4th.

ROH Gateway To Gold
Collinsville, Illinois 6/4/17

- ROH World Title - Christopher Daniels vs. Gateway To The Gold Gauntlet Winner
- Gateway To The Gold Gauntlet - Dalton Castle vs. Jake Crist vs. Cheeseburger vs. Jay White vs. Punishment Martinez vs. Will Ferrara vs. Yohei Komatsu vs. Kenny King vs. Sho Tanaka vs. Jonathan Gresham*
- ROH World Tag Team Titles - The Young Bucks vs. The Kingdom (Matt Taven & Vinny Marseglia)
- Bobby Fish vs. Jay Lethal
- Jay Briscoe vs. Shane Taylor
- Bully Ray & Mark Briscoe vs. Silas Young & The Beer City Bruiser
- Frankie Kazarian vs. Flip Gordon
- Coast 2 Coast (Shaheem Ali & Leon St. Giovanni) vs. The Rebellion (Caprice Coleman & Rhett Titus)

* The order I have listed here is not the actual order of entry for the match itself.

Signed To Appear:

- The Motor City Machine Guns
- Colt Cabana
dhads7161

Re: Official Gateway To Gold (Collinsville 6/4/17) Thread

Post by dhads7161 »

Trying to go this. Only problem I burned all my vacation and personal hours on Mania week. Fuck it though, I'll call in, don't get to see ROH live too often except during Mania weekend.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

This seems like it would a clever name for a one-night tournament.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

WOMENS CH!!

JUST KIDDING.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Collinsville has been on the same spot in the schedule for four years straight. 2014, 2015, 2016, and now 2017.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Big Red Machine wrote:This seems like it would a clever name for a one-night tournament.
Ding ding, we have a winner:

The stars of Ring of Honor return to Collinsville, IL, just across the river from St. Louis, MO, when Gateway to Gold comes to the Gateway Center on Sunday June 4! All of your favorite ROH stars will be there with championships on the line and a number of first-time ROH bouts!

The Main Event for Gateway to Gold has been signed and the ROH World Championship will be on the line. Prior to 15th Anniversary, “Almighty” Christopher Daniels was 0-8-1 in ROH World Championship bouts. In Collinsville, Daniels has a chance to make his record in championship bouts 8-8-1 in his seventh defense!

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
ROH WORLD CHAMPION “ALMIGHTY” CHRISTOPHER DANIELS vs. WINNER OF GATEWAY TO GOLD GAUNTLET

Daniels will defend his championship for the seventh time when he heads to Collinsville and faces the winner of the first-ever Gateway to Gold Gauntlet! The Gauntlet will feature Dalton Castle, Matt Taven, Cheeseburger, Jay White, Punishment Martinez, Vinny Marseglia, Will Ferrara, Kenny King, and Jonathan Gresham, nine men who have never held the ROH World Championship and are hungry for an opportunity!

The Gauntlet will start with two men. Following a decision, a new wrestler will enter, creating a series of one-on-one bouts. Those who draw higher entry numbers will be at a distinct advantage while team members like Taven and Marseglia of the Kingdom and Ferrara and Cheeseburger may be forced to fight one another! Luck of the draw will be key to not only winning the championship but making the most of the opportunity to dethrone “Almighty” Christopher Daniels following their victory.

But Daniels is in no great position, either. Should the winner be a late entrant that puts his opponent or opponents away quickly, that competitor will go into his championship bout warmed up, fully knowing the challenge that lies ahead while Daniels will only know his opponent following the conclusion of the bout!

Who will win the first-ever Gateway to Gold Gauntlet and challenge the ROH World Champion Christopher Daniels? Can Daniels even his record in championship bouts? Join us in Collinsville to find out!
Last edited by AlexROH on Thu May 18, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Also confirmed:
- Jay Briscoe vs Shane Taylor
- Fish vs Lethal

King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Lethal' and Fish's 15th Anniversary match was really good, so I expect this one to be great as well. And it would be neat to see either Martinez, White, or even Kenny King win.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

If Silas isn't in this then Briscoe probably winning this but Silas would be great to win this tournament
TowerOfDoom

Post by TowerOfDoom »

If anyone watched Being The Elite, Young Bucks gave Flip Gordon a Indy Taker before the Crash event. So maybe we'll get Hangman Page & Bucks vs Flip Gordon & Coast 2 Coast?
Big Red Machine

Dammit. I wanted a tournament with a title shot some time in the future. This is just another take on the Instant Reward Proving Ground concept that sucks because no one in their right mind things the title has a chance of changing hands. Except this is actually worse because Daniels will almost certainly go into this match much fresher than his opponent. Is it really that hard to do the title shot on another show?
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Big Red Machine wrote:Dammit. I wanted a tournament with a title shot some time in the future. This is just another take on the Instant Reward Proving Ground concept that sucks because no one in their right mind things the title has a chance of changing hands. Except this is actually worse because Daniels will almost certainly go into this match much fresher than his opponent. Is it really that hard to do the title shot on another show?

Agree. I've always thought it was silly with the "You win this, you get a shot later in the show", because unless the champion already wrestled as well, how is it fair to the challenger? At least for those instant reward ones, the champion is also in the match, so they've both wrestled about the same. Why not make it for the next set of TV tapings or something?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Some of the singles look fine. Could be a sleeper house show like last year's reportedly was.

Considering how desperate the tag team division is, this show should have really been a Tag Wars tournament.
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote:Some of the singles look fine. Could be a sleeper house show like last year's reportedly was.

Considering how desperate the tag team division is, this show should have really been a Tag Wars tournament.
Desperate? But it's "the deepest tag team division in professional wrestling."
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Really like the match ups so far, hopefully a few more interesting new and fresh match ups added to some story line ones, I can see the Semi's being Silas and Lethal, with maybe Lethal winning but Silas taking him out afterwards and wrecking his knee for the title match. If Silas is in the tournament in the end.

Personally I would like to see someone new to get the title shot, just to add something fresh to the main event scene but I can see ROH trying to further a story line for someone in this. Someone like Gresham would be a good idea just as it would really cement into ROH as someone credible, Jay White as well would be a good idea especially coming off his match with Ospreay keep the hot, hot.
Big Red Machine

BurningHammer wrote:Really like the match ups so far, hopefully a few more interesting new and fresh match ups added to some story line ones, I can see the Semi's being Silas and Lethal, with maybe Lethal winning but Silas taking him out afterwards and wrecking his knee for the title match. If Silas is in the tournament in the end.
This is the sort of thing that I'd rather see earlier on in the tournament. Get the angle out of the way (Lethal can still say that Silas cost him this chance to win the gauntlet) but allow the finals to be kept totally clean.
BurningHammer wrote: Personally I would like to see someone new to get the title shot, just to add something fresh to the main event scene but I can see ROH trying to further a story line for someone in this. Someone like Gresham would be a good idea just as it would really cement into ROH as someone credible, Jay White as well would be a good idea especially coming off his match with Ospreay keep the hot, hot.
Totally agree with you about who should get the title shot. Personally I'd give it to Gresham because if they want to give White a shot they pretty much already have a storyline reason because White is 2-0 against Daniels in singles matches. Just give the guy two or three wins in a row and that's all you need for him. I think a big main event against Daniels that is given some real time could really help Gresham break out.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Wait, what? Did I miss something about a tournament? To me, this just looks like one junky gauntlet match. Neither Silas or Lethal seem to be participating.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Yeah my bad Wilson I thought Lethal and Fish were in tournament it's not suprising from articles to find them not covering the whole of the entries.

If they are the full entrants that I would for sure that it is either Gresham or White, but like Red said a build for Whitw would probably be better for him especially, but as a surprise one night tournament Gresham should be the guy.

Wouldn't surprise me though if ROH went with Punishment Martinez but if I were ROH I would keep up Whites "push" so to speak and have White beat Punishment again, even if it's just Martinez beating the shit of Jay again, afterwards just keep the wins coming.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

BurningHammer wrote:Yeah my bad Wilson I thought Lethal and Fish were in tournament it's not suprising from articles to find them not covering the whole of the entries.

If they are the full entrants that I would for sure that it is either Gresham or White, but like Red said a build for Whitw would probably be better for him especially, but as a surprise one night tournament Gresham should be the guy.

Wouldn't surprise me though if ROH went with Punishment Martinez but if I were ROH I would keep up Whites "push" so to speak and have White beat Punishment again, even if it's just Martinez beating the shit of Jay again, afterwards just keep the wins coming.
Strong midcarders like Punishment and White might come off a bit worse if they blow their first title shot on a Road To show. Kenny or Gresham would benefit the most from an opportunity like this. To remind everyone:
Wilson wrote:I would take back every misgiving toward the company if they book a non-sequitur Daniels vs. Gresham World Title feud.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Wilson wrote:Strong midcarders like Punishment and White might come off a bit worse if they blow their first title shot on a Road To show. Kenny or Gresham would benefit the most from an opportunity like this. To remind everyone:
Wilson wrote:I would take back every misgiving toward the company if they book a non-sequitur Daniels vs. Gresham World Title feud.
I agree that Gresham would be the best choice out of everyone, it would really make him as a singles star within ROH for sure especially if the matches are good-great.