The PWG Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
King of Indy Style

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by King of Indy Style »

Here's the preview for last night's show, Game Over, Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qejp2jKUjcM
King of Indy Style

Rush vs. Rey Fenix, Cobb vs. Lee, Young Bucks vs. War Machine and the Reseda Street Fight in particular look great, but everything looks good. That fucking Apron Spanish Fly.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:Rush vs. Rey Fenix, Cobb vs. Lee, Young Bucks vs. War Machine and the Reseda Street Fight in particular look great, but everything looks good. That fucking Apron Spanish Fly.
Yeah, this looks really good man. Cobb/Lee looks brutal. That ending sequence with the Reseda Street Fight had me laughing my ass off. PWG is fucking awesome.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

King of Indy Style wrote:Here's the preview for last night's show, Game Over, Man

I didn't know Dick Togo was still wrestling.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I swear by the looks of their preview video's....seems that EVERY PWG show looks unreal.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Mike0284 wrote:
King of Indy Style wrote:Here's the preview for last night's show, Game Over, Man

I didn't know Dick Togo was still wrestling.
Dick Togo is this era's Terry Funk. Dude looks good still.
King of Indy Style

Nice Boys (Don't Play Rock n' Roll) starts shipping tomorrow!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Per the Observer, there's an event for Friday 6/16, which is Father's Day weekend.
King of Indy Style

I got Nice Boys (Don't Play Rock n' Roll) in today! Expect a review later tonight!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:I got Nice Boys (Don't Play Rock n' Roll) in today! Expect a review later tonight!
Look forward to it.
King of Indy Style

PWG: Nice Boys (Don't Play Rock n' Roll)

Triple Threat: Keith Lee vs. Sami Callihan vs. Brian Cage

Keith Lee's PWG Debut! Hell yes!! This was a weird match. There was an extended sequence on the floor that felt pretty disjointed, that led to a Keith Lee Tope con Hilo and a Brian Cage Top Rope Moonsault to the foor. Once it got into the ring, though, this match ruled. Keith and Brian meshed pretty damn good with each other. Would like to see that as a first round BOLA match or something. Brian Cage won via Falcon Arrow (which caused Excalibur to lose his fucking mind) on Keith Lee. The crowd absolutely adored Keith Lee less than half way though the match, too, which is great to see.

Rating: ***1/2

Tag Team Match: The Chosen Bros (Matt Riddle and Jeff Cobb) vs. Oi4K (Jake and Dave Crist)

I don't get the Crists. I think they're fine, yeah, but they're also just so.....generic. I feel like they do the generic indie wrestler stuff, and while it's solid, it isn't eye catching (save a couple moves they do) or particularly interesting. Because of that, whenever the Crists were in control of the match, I found it slow, and outright boring. Luckily, The Chosen Bros are one of my favorite Tag Teams in the world right now. Jeff Cobb is a joy to watch, and Matt Riddle is a joy to watch, and their unique offenses really saved this match. The most impressive being Riddle's fun grappling to open the match, Jeff gutwrenching Dave Crist in the air about 5 times, and a fucking sick reverse Crucifix Toss by Cobb into a Riddle kneestrike. I honestly think that being friends with Sami is what got them to the height on the indies that they're at. The Chosen Bros won the match via a Matt Riddle Bromission on Dave Crist.

Rating: ***

Lio Rush vs. Trevor Lee
This was very good match! It was interesting because Trevor is much bigger than Rush is, so he was able to come off as a big dickhead bully in this match, and it worked perfectly. Trevor tossed Lio around and hit him with some pretty nasty offense. And Lio is amazing working from behind as an underdog face. He's super underrated in that regard. Lio is still pretty raw, but working PWG matches against guys like Trevor Lee, Ricochet, and the upcoming Mark Haskins match, it'll really help him. Lio Rush won via reversing a Trevor Lee Small Package.

Rating: ***3/4

Shane Strickland vs. Dezmond Xavier

THIS MATCH RULED! This was these two's first PWG match, and they killed it! They had some incredibly unique offense, and they worked extremely well together. The crowd wasn't sure what to think at first, but by the end, they were very into both men, Strickland particularly. I'm glad these two killed it, because with the way Indie talent is heading up to WWE, it's really nice to see PWG be able to bring in great talent like this. Strickland is coming back at Head Like a Cole to wrestle Elgin, and THAT'LL be great. I hope Dezmond comes back as well. A big thumbs up for these two guys. Strickland won via Electric Chair Half Nelson Driver.

Rating: ****

The Best Friends (Chuck Taylor and TRENT?) vs. The LDRS (Marty Scurll and Zack Sabre, Jr.)

Oh my god. This match was absolutely amazing. So smartly worked. It reminded me of an old school tag match you'd see in the 80's. The heels quickly cheated to gain control of the match, and had an extended heat segment on the face, who, in this match, was Trent. And boy, Trent sold his fucking ASS off here. The LDRS have such great, great offense, and THAT made Trent's selling even more believable. And when Trent mounted a comeback and managed to get the tag to Chuck, the Reseda crowd popped HUGE! After more great wrestling, Marty and Chuckie brawled to the back, leaving Trent and Zack in the ring. And by god, their mini match here was phenomenal. I loved this match. I really, really did. If PWG didn't have the tag title main event, this would have been a incredible main event. But even still this was an absolutely stupendous match. And the crowd really elevated this too. They fucking LOATHED The LDRS and ADORED The Best Friends. Whenever the LDRS would cheat to gain the advantage, the crowd would become furious, and their emotion and investment brought this match up even more. The Best Friends won the match via Cradle Piledriver by Trent on Zack Sabre, Jr. Before I give the rating, I want to talk about how brilliant the ending was. The ending set up TWO main event matches for PWG. Chuck and Scurll brawling to the back was a perfect way to get them to their main event Reseda Street Fight at Game Over, Man, and leaving Zack and Chuck in the ring was a fantastic preview for their title match at Head Like a Cole on the 19th. Also, with the little bit they did here, that match is gonna be fucking awesome.

Rating: ****1/2

PWG Tag Team Championship
Triple Threat
The Young Bucks (c) vs. Ricochet and Matt Sydal vs. REY FENIX and PENTA EL CERO MIEDO
Do you expect this to be anything but a crazy spot filled madness match? Because if you do, you're dumb. This was psychotic. Bodies were flying everywhere at any moment, there were Superkicks abound, and it was just insane. My one complaint is that near the beginning they all took turns dressing like each other, but after that, this was a non-stop, balls to the wall, insane, high flying, fantastic PWG special. This was absolutely fucking amazing. PENTA EL CERO MIEDO and REY FENIX hit a Package Piledriver followed by a Canadian Destroyer on Ricochet to win the PWG World Tag Team Titles! This is my review, and I loved this match, so you know what? Fuck it.

Rating: *****

Overall show rating: 7.75/10
The first two matches were just okay. However, once Lio Rush vs. Trevor Lee started, this became a very good PWG show. The match quality isn't as consistent as Only Kings Understand Each Other was, but the co-main and main events were unbelievable wrestling. I give this show a big ol' thumbs up and a hearty recommendation.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I am with you on The Crists man. They look and wrestle just like the stereotype of indie wrestlers. They obviously haven't done jack shit to change that perception for years.

Strickland/Xavier really was cool to read about. I was hoping this match would get over and glad it did.

Trent? is totally underrated. Dude knows how to get it done as babyface in peril. Not shocked by how good you thought this match was.

As far as the main event. How the fuck do you encapsulate that madness? This match alone wants me to get the DVD.

Good review. I think its pretty much a foregone conclusion that you have carved your niche here in the forum with your PWG reviews.
King of Indy Style

Last edited by King of Indy Style on Tue May 16, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:New show!!!

Man on the Silver Mountain takes place June 16th!
Does this mean Quicksilver is coming out of retirement?
King of Indy Style

Head Like a Cole Results:

Keith Lee def. Trevor Lee after a Spirit Bomb.
Chosen Bros def. ReDRagon after Cobb tossed Fish into a Riddle GTS.
Michael Elgin def. Shane Strickland after an Elgin Bomb.
Sami Callihan def. Adam Cole after reversing a Suplex into a Small Package.
Lio Rush def. Mark Haskins after a Frog Splash
The Young Bucks vs. Penta el Cero Miedo and REY FENIX (c) for the PWG Tag Titles becomes a Texas Tornado Spotfest!!!
Penta el Cero Miedo and REY FENIX (c) def. The Young Bucks to retain the PWG World Tag Team Titles after a Package Piledriver/Double Stomp Combination. Fenix appeared to be hurt after the match.
Zack Sabre, Jr. (c) retains the PWG World Title over Trent? via Crazy Leg Submission
King of Indy Style

Man on the Silver Mountain Card!!

Jason Cade vs. Dezmond Xavier
Jake Crist vs. Trevor Lee
BEST FRIENDS VS CHOSEN BROS (!!!!!)
Keith Lee vs. Lio Rush
War Machine vs. Unbreakable F'N Machines (!!!!!!!!!!)
Matt Sydal vs. Sami Callihan
ReDRagon vs. The LDRS (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

AND their next show date!

Pushin' Forward Back takes place July 7th!

AND A BOLA ANNOUNCEMENT!!

The 2017 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 1st/2nd/3rd!

AND GAME OVER MAN STARTS SHIPPING TOMORROW
King of Indy Style

Here's my thoughts on the card for Man on the Silver Mountain:

JASON CADE VS. DEZMOND XAVIER:

I'll just be up front when I say that when this was announced, I had zero idea of who Jason Cade is. For a second I thought it said Jason Kincaid and nearly lost it, but was brought back down to Earth when it just said Cade. After a quick search, Cade seems to be in the vein of an high flying flippy guy, which is fine. As for the match itself, this should be a totally inoffensive (unless you're Randy Orton) match where there are flips, dives, and all that good stuff. Dezmond rectifies his loss at Nice Boys (Don't Play Rock n' Roll), gets his first PWG win, and Cade continues the tradition of a PWG debut losing.

MY PICK TO WIN: Dezmond Xavier

Jake Crist vs. Trevor Lee:

I can actively say that I have ZERO interest in this match, and it is solely because of Jake Crist. I see this as another example of Sami getting his friends booked, because there is no reason you couldn't find anyone else for a Trevor Lee match. What's Shane Strickland doing? What about REY FENIX? Fuck, MOOSE was on Twitter saying he wanted to be in PWG (I really hope that's a big BOLA debut) Oh well. Wherever Sami Callihan goes, the Crists won't be far behind, unfortunately.

MY PICK TO WIN: Trevor Lee

Best Friends (TRENT? and Zack Sabre, Jr) vs. Chosen Bros (Matt Riddle and Jeff Cobb):

HERE WE GO! This is the kind of match I want to see. This should be totally GREAT! I'm already excited about seeing Riddle and TRENT? in the ring, Jeff Cobb tossing the Best Friends around will be fun, and I see this match having a lot of personality. I love all 4 of these guys, and I anticipate this being a very fun match. It's a tough call, but I see the Bros. continuing their unstoppable march to the PWG Tag Titles.

MY PICK TO WIN: The Chosen Bros

Keith Lee vs. Lio Rush:

Now THIS is interesting. I know these two had a match during WM Weekend (I believe at the Joey Janela show), but I haven't seen that one. However, that match got some good praise, so I have no doubt it'll be just as impressive in Reseda. This one will be a perfect David And Goliath match, because Keith is so, so bigger than Lio.

My Pick to Win: Keith Lee

War Machine (Hanson and Ray Rowe) vs. Unbreakable FN Machines (Brian Cage and Michael Elgin)

Before I get into the match, I want to say that I'm really happy to see Michael Elgin has been at the last 4 PWG shows, because he adds a very fun style difference to the rest of his card with his sheer power. And if he's still around, he would be a very welcome BOLA entrant. With that aside, THIS MATCH!!! This will be a super, super fun hoss battle. I'm ECSTATIC to see War Machine back in PWG. By all accounts, their match with the Young Bucks was a blast, and I have no doubt they'll deliver again here.

MY PICK TO WIN: War Machine

Matt Sydal vs. Sami Callihan:

Sadly, this is another match I have little interest in. Sami is very hot and cold for me, and the fact he's bringing the Crists along with him doesn't really endear me that much either. And I really love Sydal, but since he was released from jail. he really hasn't been the same. His TV Title match against Marty Scurll at the ROH War of the Worlds PPV was just good, and that's MARTY SCURLL! Against Sami Callihan? I see this going south quite quickly. People at Head Like a Cole said that Sami's match with Cole was quite good, so I hope he brings it here, and I hope Sydal can start to get back in the swing of things. However, I see this not being very good.

MY PICK TO WIN: Sami Callihan

The LDRS (PWG World Champion Zack Sabre, Jr. and Marty Scurll) vs. ReDRagon (Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish)
THIS is a main event! I'm excited for every single interaction in this match. O'Reilly and Sabre had a GREAT title match at THIRTEEN last July, and I LOVED Kyle and Marty's match at All Star Weekend 12. And the Sabre/Scurll vs Fish interactions will also be very fun. I can't wait for this match, I could EASILY see it going ****1/2 stars.

MY PICK TO WIN: The LDRS

Overall Thoughts: When the card was announced, some people said that it felt rather underwhelming for a PWG card. And I have to agree, somewhat. Jake Crist vs. Trevor Lee, Sami Callihan vs. Matt Sydal, someone I'm sure quite a few people have not heard of in Jason Cade, along with three Tag Matches (No matter how high quality they are), no Bucks, no Lucha Bros and no Title matches does result in a weaker card. However, I still expect this to be a perfectly good PWG show, with a fantastic looking main event, a fun David vs. Goliath and two other fun looking tag matches.

Also, I will be hopefully ordering Game Over, Man sometime next week, so I will have a review of it here after I watch the show. Also Also, I will fantasy book a BOLA and post what I'd like to see the 2017 BOLA end up looking like.
King of Indy Style

Here's the Head Like a Cole preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfrPqj1wL6c
King of Indy Style

LIo Rush vs. PWG Tag Team Champion REY FENIX

WOW! This match was very, very good. Rush and Fenix worked a really fun high flying match with some stiff strikes, some good dives and a BRUTAL Apron Spanish Fly that made me audibly gasp. Lio is getting better with every outing, and Fenix is one of the best in the world. Everything he does looks fluid and crisp. This was a great way to open the show, these guys worked really hard, and it really payed off.

Rating: ****1/4

Adam Cole vs. Matt Riddle:

This was a very fun first time matchup. Cole and Riddle have very large personalities in the ring, and they meshed very well, with Cole mocking Riddle's MMA background, and then Riddle immediately locking him in a submission. There were a few moments in the match that got a good laugh from me. But not only was the comedy aspects of this match good, the match itself was great too! These guys worked REALLY good together, and had a very enjoyable match. They meshed really well, and again, for a first time meeting, they worked very well. It's a shame that Cole is seemingly heading up to WWE, because I think they have an even better match in them.

Rating: ***3/4

Jeff Cobb vs. Keith Lee

OH MY GOD. THIS MATCH. I loved this on so many levels. Not just because it was two big guys hossing the living shit out of each other. Yes, that was wild in this match, but this one also told a GREAT STORY. It was simple but it worked. And that story was that Keith Lee was much bigger than Jeff Cobb. Lee was on offense the most of the match, simply tossing Cobb aside and pounding him into the mat, and using his weight (All 334 pounds of him) to try to keep Cobb down. But it wouldn't work. No matter what Lee did, Cobb would get back up and keep fighting. Watching Cobb fight from underneath for the first time in PWG was amazing, especially since Cobb sold it so well. And watching Cobb hit Deadlift German Suplexes and a Deadlift Pumphandle Suplex on a big boy like Lee was amazing to watch. This was a great, great match.

Kyle O'Reilly vs. Michael Elgin

This match felt like one you would see in New Japan Pro Wrestling. These guys unleashed a lot of stiff strikes, a lot of suplexes and they worked very hard. Elgin is always a treat to see in PWG due to his NJPW commitments, and he always brings it in Reseda. And O'Reilly wasn't even supposed to be at the show, Elgin was originally going to wrestle Mark Haskins, although Haskins unfortunately had to pull out. Luckily we still got a very good matchup. My one complaint was that this felt like it went on a little bit too long, and if they shaved off a couple minutes these two would have had a true banger of a match. But as it was, this was still a very fun, very physical match.

War Machine (Ray Rowe and Hanson) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt and Nick Jackson)

WAR MACHINE IN PWG!!!! I've begged for these two guys to pop up in PWG since they started teaming in ROH, and here it finally is!! And who better to debut against than the team that PWG put on the map, and one of the top teams, if not THE Top team in all of Wrestling, The Young Bucks? Not any better, because this match kicked ass! These guys work really well together, and War Machine quickly got over in Reseda. War Machine put on a great first performance here, and The Young Bucks were their typical awesome selves. Great way to debut War Machine, who got a rousing Please Come Back chant after the match!

Rating: ****1/4
Superkick counter: 8

Non Title Match:
Dick Togo vs. PWG World Champion Zack Sabre, Jr.

Dick Togo wasn't someone I wasn't particularly aware of, but after the match was announced, I googled him and wow. He's damn good. Starting off the match, Sabre was wearing all black, so you know he's a piece of shit heel. The match was a very slow, grappling/submission heavy match with a few big moves in between. I personally enjoy that kind of style of match but it may not be for everyone. And even though I like the style, this still was the weakest match of the show. It was good, but it never got past that level. Togo is 47 so I don't blame him. Still, this was a perfectly solid match.

Rating: ***1/2

Reseda Street Fight:
Chuck Taylor vs. Marty Scurll

This was a typical PWG style Plunder Brawl. That means this match was awesome!! It had everything you could ask for: Chair structures, people being slammed into the chair structures, ladder bumps, umbrellas, Chuckie T on commentary, and thumbtacks! This was a fantastic way to continue the great LDRS/Best Friends feud, and besides that, there's really nothing else to say, other than this was a very fun main event.

Rating: ****1/2

Overall Rating: 9.5/10

How could I NOT give this show a great score? It had everything! A Hoss Fight with Great Storytelling, Multiple First Time matches, a Plunder Brawl, High Flying action, a fantastic debut match, and more! I give Game Over, Man, a very enthusiastic thumbs up and a HUGE recommendation. You don't get much better for 14.99. As always, thank you for taking the time to read my review! See you next time for more PWG Goodness!!

You can purchase the show here: http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/me ... d0179.html
And you can watch a video preview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qejp2jKUjcM&t
King of Indy Style

Riddle is off MOTSM. Updated Card has Trent vs. Cobb, Chuck vs. Trevor Lee and Cade vs. Crist vs. Xavier. Better than what was originally there if you ask me.