ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mike Adamle

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by Mike Adamle »

I would love it if ROH could get Tajiri
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Wilson wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
famicommander wrote:Yoshihiro Tajiri once again done with WWE. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a few ROH bookings. At 46 I wouldn't sign him to a contract, though.
Well that was quick.
Someone at the ROH office must already be working on the graphic for Tajiri vs. Scurll.
HAHA....genius.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Mike Adamle wrote:I would love it if ROH could get Tajiri
really? guys you need to chill.
Brada

Post by Brada »

mafia, are you telling them who to want and who not to want? lol
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I wouldn't mind seeing Tajiri get a shot.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Brada wrote:mafia, are you telling them who to want and who not to want? lol
no men...i respect opinions but tajiri is injured and 46 years old....anyway i think roh needs to book terry funk too :roll:
Big Red Machine

monster mafia wrote:
Brada wrote:mafia, are you telling them who to want and who not to want? lol
no men...i respect opinions but tajiri is injured and 46 years old....anyway i think roh needs to book terry funk too :roll:
Tried that and it didn't work out so well. I think he'll be fine to bring in for one weekend to put people over (Fish & ?).
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Big Red Machine wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Tajiri get a shot.
When is the last time you saw him wrestle pre-WWE? He struggles to have good matches now.
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

What would you all have them do? Regarding the Kyle contract situation, what should ROH do? Just let people not honor the contract they have signed so they can leave and go somewhere else? Yes, because that happens all the time. I've lost count of the amount of times WWE just lets guys negotiate with other companies while under contract. Remember how Cody Rhodes, who they were not even doing anything with, was just allowed to leave WWE and start wrestling on the indys just a few days later?

ROH is a business. SBG is a corporate owner. Contracts means something. Any wrestler who is dumb enough to not go to ROH because they might be forced to honor their contract they freely signed is too stupid to exist in modern society.

I'm so sick of reading this idiotic stuff. This, and the bitching about the tryout camps is so ridiculous. WWE makes almost every single performer go through a camp and then go to NXT before they sign them. Kevin Steen and Generico had to tryout. Nobody bitches about that. Nobody bitches that all these top indy guys have to go to a two day camp to get in NXT, but ROH does it and everybody claims it is the end of the wrestling company. That somebody has to pay 300 bucks and tryout to see if they fit in ROH is like the worst thing ever.

Surely no other indy companies, such as Evolve, ever have try out camps for talent. Surely the WWE would never make a known indy talent tryout. Surely the WWE would never hold a talent to a contract, or keep them from supporting their families for a period of time AFTER they have left. Only the evil, dying Ring of Honor would ever do these things.
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

ROHfan2002 wrote:What would you all have them do? Regarding the Kyle contract situation, what should ROH do? Just let people not honor the contract they have signed so they can leave and go somewhere else? Yes, because that happens all the time. I've lost count of the amount of times WWE just lets guys negotiate with other companies while under contract. Remember how Cody Rhodes, who they were not even doing anything with, was just allowed to leave WWE and start wrestling on the indys just a few days later?

ROH is a business. SBG is a corporate owner. Contracts means something. Any wrestler who is dumb enough to not go to ROH because they might be forced to honor their contract they freely signed is too stupid to exist in modern society.

I'm so sick of reading this idiotic stuff. This, and the bitching about the tryout camps is so ridiculous. WWE makes almost every single performer go through a camp and then go to NXT before they sign them. Kevin Steen and Generico had to tryout. Nobody bitches about that. Nobody bitches that all these top indy guys have to go to a two day camp to get in NXT, but ROH does it and everybody claims it is the end of the wrestling company. That somebody has to pay 300 bucks and tryout to see if they fit in ROH is like the worst thing ever.

Surely no other indy companies, such as Evolve, ever have try out camps for talent. Surely the WWE would never make a known indy talent tryout. Surely the WWE would never hold a talent to a contract, or keep them from supporting their families for a period of time AFTER they have left. Only the evil, dying Ring of Honor would ever do these things.
Don't recall it being said that WWE wasn't letting talent honor their contracts. They actually have a history of letting talent fulfill their remaining dates. They started negotiating with KOR and Dijak while they were under ROH deals, but they wouldn't start in WWE until the ROH deal expired.
ROH is within their rights to cry tampering, but it's a bad look imo.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

WWE pays talent who are on no compete clauses.

I highly doubt ROH is paying Kyle and Dijak right now.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

ROHfan2002 wrote:I'm so sick of reading this idiotic stuff. This, and the bitching about the tryout camps is so ridiculous. WWE makes almost every single performer go through a camp and then go to NXT before they sign them. Kevin Steen and Generico had to tryout. Nobody bitches about that. Nobody bitches that all these top indy guys have to go to a two day camp to get in NXT, but ROH does it and everybody claims it is the end of the wrestling company. That somebody has to pay 300 bucks and tryout to see if they fit in ROH is like the worst thing ever.
If you don't see the difference between ROH and WWE, I don't know what to tell you frankly.

There's nothing wrong with tryouts per se and it would be a decent way to fill the undercard with young, unknown wrestlers with potential. The issue is when it seems to be the only way to get booked in ROH when you aren't a WWE/TNA reject and when ROH itself isn't that stepping stone to greater things anymore (pretty much the opposite). An indy guy with some name value isn't gonna bother spending hundreds of dollars for a hypothetical low-end ROH spot, hence why you have shitty old assclowns in the TPT every year and the decent wrestlers get away as soon as they realize that ROH isn't doing anything to help them improve in any way.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Big Red Machine

rovert1 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Tajiri get a shot.
When is the last time you saw him wrestle pre-WWE? He struggles to have good matches now.
I haven't seen him aside from the Cruiserweight Classic, but he looked fine enough in that. If he can't have good matches on a regular basis then only bring him in for one match.
Big Red Machine

Thelone wrote:
ROHfan2002 wrote:I'm so sick of reading this idiotic stuff. This, and the bitching about the tryout camps is so ridiculous. WWE makes almost every single performer go through a camp and then go to NXT before they sign them. Kevin Steen and Generico had to tryout. Nobody bitches about that. Nobody bitches that all these top indy guys have to go to a two day camp to get in NXT, but ROH does it and everybody claims it is the end of the wrestling company. That somebody has to pay 300 bucks and tryout to see if they fit in ROH is like the worst thing ever.
If you don't see the difference between ROH and WWE, I don't know what to tell you frankly.

There's nothing wrong with tryouts per se and it would be a decent way to fill the undercard with young, unknown wrestlers with potential. The issue is when it seems to be the only way to get booked in ROH when you aren't a WWE/TNA reject and when ROH itself isn't that stepping stone to greater things anymore (pretty much the opposite). An indy guy with some name value isn't gonna bother spending hundreds of dollars for a hypothetical low-end ROH spot, hence why you have shitty old assclowns in the TPT every year and the decent wrestlers get away as soon as they realize that ROH isn't doing anything to help them improve in any way.
Exactly. It's not the tryout camps that are the problem ion theory. it's the idea that, aside from rare circumstances, you MUST go through them in order to get booked in ROH. For something like the TPT there is no reason ROH shouldn't be going out and looking for guys who they think will make a big splash. Instead we've got a bunch of guys who are either old as hell, generic as hell, or both, and are rarely any good in the ring getting spots in ROH because they're willing to drop a lot of money on these tryout camps rather than because they're actually talented in any way. In order to perpetuate a system like this you almost have to give these guys spots, and as a result you wind up getting the most desperate talent rather than the best talent.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

Everyone realizes the following as it relates to the WWN tryout camps, right?

- WWN also charges a fee to try out. It is lamented that someone like Jason Kincaid had to attend a ROH tryout camp to get his shot when he is literally the poster boy for the WWN tryout camp in their description. Additionally, I think we're all nuts if we don't think guys that WWN or ROH have their eyes on don't get their tuition waived...

- WWN also advertises the Who and the How Many of folks that have been used from their camps. WWN Like some of the ROH camps, they likely have filled out their cards with some of the talent that has tried out. Not everyone can be a main eventer. WWN says they've used 30+ in their latest application, I think ROH says something crazy like 80+ but ROH camps have gone on since the Cornette era, so WWN may have actually used more pay-to-play guys than ROH year-over-year if that makes sense.

- WWN leverages their connection with NXT and WWE (as they should) to encourage sign-ups. By the transitive property, if WWN is a *wink,wink* gateway (Riddle has confirmed this being the reason he went with Evolve vs. ROH) to NXT and WWE, then for some wrestlers, WWE is making them pay to play, as well. We know WWE will bring in talents for tryouts outside the bubble that they have created or help foster with WWN and send them to NXT camps. Ring of Honor will bring in talent that has significant exposure from outside the camps, as well, like Scurll, Ospreay, Dragon Lee, Jay White, etc. Similarly, WWE brings in a lot of ROH guys for their tryout camps. In this regard, WWE and ROH function in the exact same way. I don't think many people would argue against having Scurll, Ospreay, Dragon Lee, and Jay White just as WWE fans wouldn't be upset that Kevin Owens, Generico, or Strong "skipped the line" and skipped the WWN tryout.

In short, there isn't a really big different between WWN, and in some ways by proxy the WWE, and ROH in how they screen for talent. Also, both very clearly advertise that it is both a seminar and a tryout, stating that the main goal is to help you become a better wrestler. Every field has professional development conferences, training seminars, etc. I'm not sure why there is such an uproar that any wrestling company, specifically WWN or ROH would do this.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

ROHfan2002 wrote:What would you all have them do? Regarding the Kyle contract situation, what should ROH do? Just let people not honor the contract they have signed so they can leave and go somewhere else? Yes, because that happens all the time. I've lost count of the amount of times WWE just lets guys negotiate with other companies while under contract. Remember how Cody Rhodes, who they were not even doing anything with, was just allowed to leave WWE and start wrestling on the indys just a few days later?

WWE still pays talent during non-compete periods and allows some Indy bookings. Also, perhaps the most important thing is talents know when they will be free to work anywhere they want. They know there will be light at the end of the tunnel after their clause expires.

Meanwhile, ROH keeps dragging this issue with Kyle, Rush, Dijak, etc for as long as possible and they're not offering any addional pay to these wrestlers. For Kyle and Dijak it's already been over 90 days and there is still no end in sight. It was originally believed they would be able to start with NXT in May and now things have been delayed yet again and there is no telling when they will be free to sign with WWE.

So while all of this is going on it came out last week that ROH has had conversations with contracted Lucha Underground talents. Ricochet and Sami Callihan complained on twitter about LU not allowing them to work ROH shows, which proves that ROH contacted them about working some events while they were still under contract and LU officials told them they couldn't work for ROH. Oh, and ROH also spoke with Drew McIntyre while still being signed with TNA around the same time they sent this letter to WWE. Any time the Observer reports a company has interest in a wrestler with a contract somewhere that usually means talks are going on with the contracted talents.
Big Red Machine

FanSinceHDNet wrote:Everyone realizes the following as it relates to the WWN tryout camps, right?

- WWN also charges a fee to try out. It is lamented that someone like Jason Kincaid had to attend a ROH tryout camp to get his shot when he is literally the poster boy for the WWN tryout camp in their description. Additionally, I think we're all nuts if we don't think guys that WWN or ROH have their eyes on don't get their tuition waived...

- WWN also advertises the Who and the How Many of folks that have been used from their camps. WWN Like some of the ROH camps, they likely have filled out their cards with some of the talent that has tried out. Not everyone can be a main eventer. WWN says they've used 30+ in their latest application, I think ROH says something crazy like 80+ but ROH camps have gone on since the Cornette era, so WWN may have actually used more pay-to-play guys than ROH year-over-year if that makes sense.

- WWN leverages their connection with NXT and WWE (as they should) to encourage sign-ups. By the transitive property, if WWN is a *wink,wink* gateway (Riddle has confirmed this being the reason he went with Evolve vs. ROH) to NXT and WWE, then for some wrestlers, WWE is making them pay to play, as well. We know WWE will bring in talents for tryouts outside the bubble that they have created or help foster with WWN and send them to NXT camps. Ring of Honor will bring in talent that has significant exposure from outside the camps, as well, like Scurll, Ospreay, Dragon Lee, Jay White, etc. Similarly, WWE brings in a lot of ROH guys for their tryout camps. In this regard, WWE and ROH function in the exact same way. I don't think many people would argue against having Scurll, Ospreay, Dragon Lee, and Jay White just as WWE fans wouldn't be upset that Kevin Owens, Generico, or Strong "skipped the line" and skipped the WWN tryout.

In short, there isn't a really big different between WWN, and in some ways by proxy the WWE, and ROH in how they screen for talent. Also, both very clearly advertise that it is both a seminar and a tryout, stating that the main goal is to help you become a better wrestler. Every field has professional development conferences, training seminars, etc. I'm not sure why there is such an uproar that any wrestling company, specifically WWN or ROH would do this.
1. Ospreay, Dragon Lee, & White were all through NJPW/CMLL connections. Scurll has been the only non-former WWE or TNA star to not go through tryout camps.
2. Yes, everyone realizes that WWN's are also pay-to-play and that WWE does tryout camps as well. The differences are as follows:
A) When WWN puts a guy on their show and tells me that he came out of the tryout camps, my general impression of that guy is not "how the f*ck did this guy get booked?" or "are you seriously telling me that THIS GUY was the best guy in the camp?" With ROH, that is often the case.
B) When WWN gets a guy like Jason Kincaid in their tryout camps, they actually DO SOMETHING WITH HIM. In the seven months Since Kincaid started working for EVOLVE he's been on eleven shows and has started to develop a clear character with some sort of interesting backstory now being built up. ROH, on the other hand, used Kincaid a grand total of five times from his debut last January up until his final match in the beginning of October, during which the only thing we learned about him was that he had no running water in his house.
WWN's feels like a talent search because I can see talent in basically everyone they tell me comes out of them. ROH's feel like a money grab because for every Lio Rush or Jason Kincaid or War Machine or Dalton Castle they put on TV there are about twenty Preston Quinns and Curt Stallions and Danny Duggans and Ariya Daivaris and Matt Sells and J. Diesels and f*cking P-Dawgs and Jake Dirdens and Chris LaRussos and Vinny Marseglias and other guys who are completely generic indy dorks who have no business being on an ROH show.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

LJimmy wrote:

WWE still pays talent during non-compete periods and allows some Indy bookings. Also, perhaps the most important thing is talents know when they will be free to work anywhere they want. They know there will be light at the end of the tunnel after their clause expires.

Meanwhile, ROH keeps dragging this issue with Kyle, Rush, Dijak, etc for as long as possible and they're not offering any addional pay to these wrestlers. For Kyle and Dijak it's already been over 90 days and there is still no end in sight. It was originally believed they would be able to start with NXT in May and now things have been delayed yet again and there is no telling when they will be free to sign with WWE.

So while all of this is going on it came out last week that ROH has had conversations with contracted Lucha Underground talents. Ricochet and Sami Callihan complained on twitter about LU not allowing them to work ROH shows, which proves that ROH contacted them about working some events while they were still under contract and LU officials told them they couldn't work for ROH. Oh, and ROH also spoke with Drew McIntyre while still being signed with TNA around the same time they sent this letter to WWE. Any time the Observer reports a company has interest in a wrestler with a contract somewhere that usually means talks are going on with the contracted talents.
Seriously I wish there was a way for all the talents being fucked over right now by ROH to file a lawsuit against them just for some poetic irony.
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

According to PWInsider, WWE is now telling talent they won't even talk to them until they're 90 days out of their contracts with their previous promotion-a result of the ROH tampering charges.

Impact's Crazzy Steve is having to take independent bookings now that he's left cause of this.

Again, ROH was well within their rights to bring the tampering charges, but now you got talent having to slug it out on the Indys for 3 months before getting their shot at the big leagues. Again, not a good look
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I can guarantee you ROH still talks to contracted guys like WWE did or used to do.

It's hypocritical bullshit.