The PWG Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:Since I have the rest of my evening open, and I forgot to do one for Nice Boys (Don't Play Rock n' Roll), here are my thoughts on the card of Game Over, Man!

First off: PWG announced that Penta 0M and Rey Fenix would be defending their PWG tag titles "soon". Soon in PWG time may be 2 or 3 months. I've heard rumblings of a late-May show, and this has caused speculation that it'll be the return of DDT4! I for one welcome it. PWG's stocked up on a LOT of good tag teams over the last two years, and I think they could KILL a DDT4. Here's who I'd like to see in it:

Chosen Bros (Matt Riddle and Jeff Cobb)
The Young Bucks
The LDRS
Best Friends
ReDRagon
War Machine
Ricochet and Matt Sydal
You can do alot with the final spot. A debuting team, a returning team, or even a thrown together team. I'd like Lio Rush and Jay White myself. I may fantasy book this later on. I'll post it if anyone would like to see.

Now, for the card itself:

Lio Rush vs. Rey Fenix: FLIPZ! I'm expecting this to be all flipz. Which will be a great way to hype the crowd up! Rey Fenix is absolutely incredible, and Lio Rush is great as well. This'll be a fun match that'll highlight the incredible talents of two young stars.

MY PICK TO WIN: Since he and his brother, Penta 0M (who I'm sad to see isn't on the card) just won the PWG Tag Titles, I have to pick Rey Fenix.

Jeff Cobb vs. Keith Lee: HOLY. GOD. DAMN. HOSS. FIGHT. For real, when PWG announced this match, I went NUTS. I wanted to see Keith in PWG the moment I saw him do a dive in ROH. These are two of the most athletically gifted men not just in PWG, but in all of independent wrestling, and for entirely different reasons. Keith Lee does things that no man that weighs over 300 pounds should do. And Jeff Cobb is one of the most insanely strong men in wrestling today. That man chucked Chris Hero around like he was Ricochet. And when he chucked Ricochet around at BOLA, it was even crazier! I love everything about this match. My most anticipated match on the card.

MY PICK TO WIN: This one is tough. You'd think they would give Cobb the win since he's a part of PWG's top few tag teams, Chosen Bros. But do they have Keith Lee take a pin in his first two matches with the company? I'm not very sure. I think I'll take Keith Lee for this one, since I see Jeff's partner winning his match. Speaking of which.....

Adam Cole vs. Matt Riddle: Bro vs. Baybay! This should be a very intriguing match, as it very may well be Adam Cole's last hurrah on the independent scene before he heads to the WWE. This will be a good showcase for Riddle's singles ability, since his last singles match for PWG was back in August at BOLA against Kyle O'Reilly. This one will certainly have a lot of personality in it.

MY PICK TO WIN: With all the uncertainty around the future of Adam Cole, I see the King of Bros, Matt Riddle, walking out with the win here.

Mark Haskins vs. Michael Elgin: HASKINS IS BACK!! I'm so glad to see him back after thinking we may not see him wrestle ever again, not just in PWG. However, this is a weird match. Haskins vs. Elgin really isn't a match that people have clamored for. Hell, I'm not even sure if they HAVE wrestled before. With that said, I see this one being a solid big man-little man match, with Haskins using his size and speed and technical ability to cut down the powerhouse, Elgin.

MY PICK TO WIN: Mark Haskins is currently advertised for WWE Axxess during WM Weekend, which is a sign he may be signing with them, or at least signed one of their weird "You can work the indies but only the indies that want to work with us" deals. With that, this may also be the last we see of Haskins of PWG, ala Dunne and Mark Andrews. So I think Micheal Elgin is your winner.

Young Bucks vs. War Machine: WAR MACHINE IN PWG!!!! If you've known me for a while, you know that I've clamored for a War Machine PWG debut. AND HERE IT IS!! I'm so goddamn excited for this. War Machine is one of my favorite Tag Teams around, because they're two big, burly, mean looking dudes that go out there and kick ass. And add in the Young Bucks? PWG has my 15 bucks for this show. This should be an outstanding match, with bodies flying all around the Legion hall.

MY PICK TO WIN: PWG's M.O. is to have debuting acts in the company take a pinfall. See the debuts of Keith Lee, Matt Riddle, Oi4K, Jeff Cobb, ect ect. So with that, I gotta take the Young Bucks in this one.

Reseda Street Fight: Chuck Taylor vs. Marty Scurll: CHUCKIE T VS THE VILLAIN! This should be a fun plunder brawl. Chuck is underrated when it comes to this style of match, and Marty is a fantastic wrestler in really any way you use him. I expect Marty to use the Umbrella, and some ZSJ and Trent? run ins.

MY PICK TO WIN: The LDRS vs. Best Friends program is excellent. I love it. Looking at how the feud has progressed, along with the no rules stip, I gotta go with Chuck to walk out the winner.

(Non-Title) Zack Sabre, Jr. vs. Dick Togo: I really wasn't sure what to think of this one when it was announced, and I'm still not sure now, to be honest. Togo isn't someone I am very familiar with. But I was told of his greatness, and I looked his stuff up online. Wow! The dude rocks! But at the same time, I don't know if I really want to see this match. Sure, it'll be a fantastic match, but I think you could've gotten more out of a ZSJ title defense. Personal feelings aside, this should be a GREAT match.

MY PICK TO WIN: Togo hasn't wrestled for PWG since his initial 2011 match, I believe. I pick Zack Sabre, Jr. to win here. I think he could use a big time win to add to his belt, and a Togo win does nothing for anyone, but a Zack win makes him that much more believable as a champion, even if the title isn't being defended.
Enjoyed reading this. Great match by match breakdown, man.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Thanks Mojo. PWG is a wrestling company I really do love, because it's just that: A WRESTLING Company. Glad you enjoyed reading my breakdown.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:Thanks Mojo. PWG is a wrestling company I really do love, because it's just that: A WRESTLING Company. Glad you enjoyed reading my breakdown.
Your enthusiasm is infectious. Its cool to bullshit about PWG with you.
King of Indy Style

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
King of Indy Style wrote:Thanks Mojo. PWG is a wrestling company I really do love, because it's just that: A WRESTLING Company. Glad you enjoyed reading my breakdown.

Same with you. I'm so positive about the PWG product because PWG so rarely botches something or makes a bad decision, something even New Japan can't lay claim to, because there are still times where they do things or push wrestlers where I think "The fuck?" The last time PWG shat the bed was with Brian Myers in 2014!! And they rectified the mistake by telling him to F off and never brought him back.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:

Same with you. I'm so positive about the PWG product because PWG so rarely botches something or makes a bad decision, something even New Japan can't lay claim to, because there are still times where they do things or push wrestlers where I think "The fuck?" The last time PWG shat the bed was with Brian Myers in 2014!! And they rectified the mistake by telling him to F off and never brought him back.
Yeah, you got to respect that about PWG. They don't fuck around and listen to the fans.
King of Indy Style

Last month's event, Only Kings Understand Each Other, ships tomorrow! I'll be placing my order for it tomorrow.
King of Indy Style

Also, Meltzer is reporting that the next PWG show will be on May 19th.
King of Indy Style

I fantasy booked a DDT4 tournament for this year. Check it out if you want

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spnrg9
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:I fantasy booked a DDT4 tournament for this year. Check it out if you want

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spnrg9
Interesting. I can see this outcome for sure.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

King of Indy Style wrote:Also, Meltzer is reporting that the next PWG show will be on May 19th.
Worst. Friday. Ever. (for me)
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
King of Indy Style

Placed my order for Only Kings Understand Each Other today! I hope to have it in early next week, and have my thoughts on the show up here by next Thursday.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:Placed my order for Only Kings Understand Each Other today! I hope to have it in early next week, and have my thoughts on the show up here by next Thursday.
Awesome. Looking forward to it.
Brada

Post by Brada »

King of Indy Style, you have pushed me over the edge. I have been on the fence about heading out to Cali for PWG, now you have convinced me. May 19th I am there.

You are right....everything I have seen has been stellar. I got to spend some time with Joey Ryan last year during Mania week, super cool guy, enjoyed talking with him. I will support his product.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

KOR is working EVOLVE on 5/20 and 5/21. If PWG does run 5/19, hopefully they can book him (and Fish if they are bringing DDT4 back).
King of Indy Style

Brada wrote:King of Indy Style, you have pushed me over the edge. I have been on the fence about heading out to Cali for PWG, now you have convinced me. May 19th I am there.

You are right....everything I have seen has been stellar. I got to spend some time with Joey Ryan last year during Mania week, super cool guy, enjoyed talking with him. I will support his product.

Man, if it does end up being the 19th, I hope you have a great time. It's crazy I convinced you to go man. I'm just a guy on the internet that loves PWG lol
King of Indy Style

I got Only Kings Understand Each Other in today!! I plan on watching it tonight, and post a review afterwards!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:I got Only Kings Understand Each Other in today!! I plan on watching it tonight, and post a review afterwards!
I look forward to your post.
King of Indy Style

Unfortunately, due to unforseen circumstances, I won't be able to post a review for a while, so I have decided to scrap it, and just stick to my thoughts and predictions on cards.
King of Indy Style

Alright, while I can't do a full length review, I WILL give you some thoughts on the show!

Cody R vs. Trevor Lee

Solid Match. Cody is hugely over in Reseda and Trevor is a FANTASTIC Dickhead Heel. First move of the match was a freakin' Avalanche German, lol. Trevor won via Small Package Driver. *** 1/4

Rey Fenix vs. Trent?

AWESOME MATCH!! These guys did some insane shit. Was a little slow to start but when they turned it up, this was excellent. Trent? won with Crunchy. ****

Chosen Bros vs. Unbreakable FN Machines

ANOTHER AWESOME MATCH! These guys put on one hell of a hoss tag. They all worked really, really well together. I absolutely LOVE the Chosen Bros, and I give HUGE props to PWG for putting them together. Give me Chosen Bros vs. EVERYONE. Chosen Bros won via Tour of the Islands on Brian Cage. ****1/4

Ricochet vs. Lio Rush

YET ANOTHER AWESOME MATCH! I LOVED the story of this match, with Ricochet playing the cocky vet to Lio's fiery babyface. And, as expected, this had a shitton of flips and kicks. GREAT debut for Lio. Ricochet won via Vertigo. ****

Marty Scurll vs. Jay White

Oof. This was straight up not good. The wrestling was fine, yeah, but they spent waaay too much time dicking around. Marty especially. His corniness was really grating. Jay isn't innocent in this either. They spent waaaaay too much time fucking around with a fan in the beginning. And the worst part, is that the wrestling felt very pedestrian. I like both of these guys, but I don't see Jay coming back anytime soon. Disappointing. Scurll won via Chickenwing. **1/4

Oi4K vs. Superkliq
Wow. This was a match of two parts. There was the ridiculously corny, goofy stuff that REALLY weighed it down. But when they cut the bullshit? This was a GREAT typical PWG/Young Bucks spotfest. Really nothing else to say, other than the Crists feel like generic indy wrestlers who do superkicks and highflying moves, that only have a spot because they're friends with Sami. Still, great match. Superkliq wins via SUPERKICKS. ***3/4

PWG World Championship: Zack Sabre, Jr. (c) vs. Chuck Taylor

While not the best match on the card, this was absolutely the match that had the crowd the most. The crowd was behind Chuckie more than any other time I can remember them being behind any other wrestler. Seriously, the Chuckie T chants were incredibly loud. This was a damn good match. The finishing sequence was seamless, and the disappointment that Chuck lost was palpable. Zack Sabre, Jr. retained via Ref Stoppage (Choke). ****

Overall: 9.5/10

BUY THIS SHOW. With only one dud on the card, this was an INCREDIBLY entertaining show. PWG knocked it out of the freakin' park.

edit: wow, I had intended for this review to be longer and more detailed, but I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out. I think I'll stick with the condensed style like this! :) :)
King of Indy Style

After seeing GIFs of Keith Lee vs. Ricochet on Twitter, I'm glad as fuck PWG brought Keith in. Dude is a fucking superstar. His match with Cobb is going to be riGoddamnDiculous. I hope he makes a splash in BOLA, and fuck, I wouldn't mind if he won the whole shebang.