Random ROH Classic Thoughts

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Random ROH Classic Thoughts

Post by AlexROH »

I love watching old stuff from ROH. I love watching classic shows and matches, but I don't know where should I put my ratings and thoughts. So I've created this thread.

Feel free to write whatever you want: match ratings, shows reviews, DVD reviews... This could be a great thread to talk about classic ROH and share opinions. If you think that these type of comments could be in other place, I will delete the thread.
AlexROH

Re: Random ROH Classic Thoughts

Post by AlexROH »

Last night I was watching The Summer of Punk DVD and I fell in love with the Daniels vs Punk match Daniels at The Homecoming. I really liked how they worked and I think it was a great way to end their rivalry. Yeah, it was a 60 minute draw and it had his low parts, but I enjoy most of the match.

A 60 Minute Match that doesn't bore me cannot be a bad match. The first 30 minutes flew by and then, the last 20 were great. Crowd was involved and they showed great chemistry. The only thing I didn't like was the ref bumb. It isn't the perfect match or the best 60 minute draw ever; but I highly enjoy it ---> ****1/4

The thing is, when I looked for reviews I saw that everybody have the match in the ***1/2 territory. What do you think of the match? Maybe I should watch it again.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

AlexROH wrote:Last night I was watching The Summer of Punk DVD and I fell in love with the Daniels vs Punk match Daniels at The Homecoming. I really liked how they worked and I think it was a great way to end their rivalry. Yeah, it was a 60 minute draw and it had his low parts, but I enjoy most of the match.

A 60 Minute Match that doesn't bore me cannot be a bad match. The first 30 minutes flew by and then, the last 20 were great. Crowd was involved and they showed great chemistry. The only thing I didn't like was the ref bumb. It isn't the perfect match or the best 60 minute draw ever; but I highly enjoy it ---> ****1/4

The thing is, when I looked for reviews I saw that everybody have the match in the ***1/2 territory. What do you think of the match? Maybe I should watch it again.
Really? I think I hated it for every reason that you liked it. I found it to be extremely boring because it felt like they were stalling the whole time instead of actually wrestling for sixty minutes like Joe and Punk did.
The Summer of Punk match that I think is way underrated is the Gibson match. That match is FANTASTIC.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Big Red Machine wrote:
AlexROH wrote:Last night I was watching The Summer of Punk DVD and I fell in love with the Daniels vs Punk match Daniels at The Homecoming. I really liked how they worked and I think it was a great way to end their rivalry. Yeah, it was a 60 minute draw and it had his low parts, but I enjoy most of the match.

Really? I think I hated it for every reason that you liked it. I found it to be extremely boring because it felt like they were stalling the whole time instead of actually wrestling for sixty minutes like Joe and Punk did.
The Summer of Punk match that I think is way underrated is the Gibson match. That match is FANTASTIC.

Yeah, I agree with this. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but it felt like they were wrestling a 60 Minute match, instead of wrestling a match that went 60 minutes. You could tell from the beginning it was gonna go long, unlike say, Joe and Bryan, which didn't. Not a bad match, but not one I'd clamor to go back to watch.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

It was a story that no one expected them to tell as gleaned from the buildup and then became very evident halfway through the match that it would go the distance. It’s a very competent match between two excellent wrestlers, but some frowzy booking keeps the match down. It’s a lot like Castagnoli and McGuinness in 2008.
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote:It was a story that no one expected them to tell as gleaned from the buildup and then became very evident halfway through the match that it would go the distance. It’s a very competent match between two excellent wrestlers, but some frowzy booking keeps the match down. It’s a lot like Castagnoli and McGuinness in 2008.
I don't think the booking was the problem. I haven't watched it in a while, but it felt like Gabe told them he needed sixty minutes buy they only wanted to go thirty so they spent half of the match stalling so that they would only have to work thirty. I'm pretty sure Daniels and AJ did the same thing in PWG a few months before where they got booked in a sixty-minute draw that they really didn't want to do (it was AJ's PWG World Title vs Daniels' X-Division Title) and there was a TNA PPV that weekend).
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Wilson wrote:It was a story that no one expected them to tell as gleaned from the buildup and then became very evident halfway through the match that it would go the distance. It’s a very competent match between two excellent wrestlers, but some frowzy booking keeps the match down. It’s a lot like Castagnoli and McGuinness in 2008.
I don't think the booking was the problem. I haven't watched it in a while, but it felt like Gabe told them he needed sixty minutes buy they only wanted to go thirty so they spent half of the match stalling so that they would only have to work thirty. I'm pretty sure Daniels and AJ did the same thing in PWG a few months before where they got booked in a sixty-minute draw that they really didn't want to do (it was AJ's PWG World Title vs Daniels' X-Division Title) and there was a TNA PPV that weekend).
Yeah, Punk vs. Daniels was such a disappointment. Boring as fuck. I think Punk, in part, was trying to keep himself protected from injury during that match. Don't blame him though. Gabe could have had another finish for that match. Anything. The heat on Punk and the rush of Daniels coming back was wasted on this shitty match.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Jimmy Rave trying to take the cheese grater to Punk's Straightedge tattoo.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Homicide trying to pour Draino down Cabana's throat was memorable as well.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Wow, the 4 Corner Survival Elimination match from Redemption 05 has become one of my favourite matches ever. The wrestling wasn't perfect, but the storytelling was a masterpiece. Loved every second of it. The moment when Gibson's music sounded gave me goosebumps. The perfect way to end one of the best storylines in ROH history. One of the greatest title wins ever.

I still have to watch the Punk-Cabana 2/3 Falls, but these are my ratings for The Summer of Punk DVD:

CM Punk vs Austin Aries - ****1/4+
CM Punk vs Jay Lethal - ***1/2
CM Punk vs Roderick Strong - ***3/4
CM Punk vs James Gibson - ***3/4
CM Punk vs Christopher Daniels - ****
CM Punk vs James Gibson vs Samoa Joe vs Christopher Daniels - ****1/2+

You gotta love the storytelling and the crowd reaction of every single match. Punk's matches were simple, but every move he made had sense inside the storytelling of the match. Plus, promos and segments are worth a watch too. If i have to choose a quote it will be this one: "The greatest thing the Devil ever did was make you people believe he didn't exist".
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote:Wow, the 4 Corner Survival Elimination match from Redemption 05 has become one of my favourite matches ever. The wrestling wasn't perfect, but the storytelling was a masterpiece. Loved every second of it. The moment when Gibson's music sounded gave me goosebumps. The perfect way to end one of the best storylines in ROH history. One of the greatest title wins ever.

I still have to watch the Punk-Cabana 2/3 Falls, but these are my ratings for The Summer of Punk DVD:

You gotta love the storytelling and the crowd reaction of every single match. Punk's matches were simple, but every move he made had sense inside the storytelling of the match. Plus, promos and segments are worth a watch too. If i have to choose a quote it will be this one: "The greatest thing the Devil ever did was make you people believe he didn't exist".
Oh fuck yeah. Two of the best moments in ROH history was the Punk promo and the Gibson return during the 4 way. Gibson was so over at the time and the euphoric pop when he won was magical.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Chad Collyer calling Robbie Brookside a dirty hippie.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Memphis Mark wrote:Chad Collyer calling Robbie Brookside a dirty hippie.
Hah! I totally forgot about this.
stevenkmason

Post by stevenkmason »

Jimmy loves Lacey was one of my favorite storylines ever.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

AlexROH wrote:Wow, the 4 Corner Survival Elimination match from Redemption 05 has become one of my favourite matches ever. The wrestling wasn't perfect, but the storytelling was a masterpiece. Loved every second of it. The moment when Gibson's music sounded gave me goosebumps. The perfect way to end one of the best storylines in ROH history. One of the greatest title wins ever.

“The greatest thing the devil ever did” is actually a line lifted from the 1995 movie The Usual Suspects (which was paraphrased from a translated line of Baudelaire although my deceived memory rewrote it as of Yeats). CM Punk was openly referential of US culture. He was great. That reign is still in my top five despite its brevity.

One of my favorite moments is Danielson’s promo from the 6th Anniversary—his best in ROH—outraged by Nigel’s aversion to wrestling. It set up one of the greatest heel turns ROH has yet to deliver. Wish I could find a video of it.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Promowise I remember Gibson's angry 'standing around with my dick in my hand' one as being good. There was also, alas, the feud that died almost before it began between London and Styles with London trying to replace his replacement in the team (Amazing Red). Loved his promos on Red being 'a prop' and his 'Look AJ, I got matching tights for us' and his said 'Styles' on it as well, creeping AJ out.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I'm now re-watching Kevin Steen's Descent into Madness DVD. His segments with Cabana never get old, awesome promo and character work. Plus, that Chicago Street Fight Match at Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies 2 WOWWW, great great stuff ****1/4.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Descent into Madness is my favorite ROH Comp of all time. A feud for Steen/Generico? A bunch of bloody, violent, weapon filled brawls? Hell yeah!!
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Big Red Machine

monster mafia wrote:
I had forgotten how great this DVD was. Between this and other Homicide story, it has got to be one of the funniest ROH ever did.