Women of Honor Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: Women's wrestling in ROH

Post by Big Red Machine »

A championship is fine if they're going to have their own separate shows, but there is no room for a whole new division on the already bloated roster. If they are going to have their own separate shows, I'd like to see ROH go all-out with promoting them, although, to be honest, I'm not sure if the audience is there. Or rather than the money from the audience is there. People who like women's wrestling are getting a good deal from FloSlam for both SHINE and SHIMMER, and there is the Stardom Network, too. I'm not sure that they'll be willing to pay another $15 per show for ROH's women's division (especially with the poor state of ROH booking in general).
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Big Red Machine wrote:A championship is fine if they're going to have their own separate shows, but there is no room for a whole new division on the already bloated roster. If they are going to have their own separate shows, I'd like to see ROH go all-out with promoting them, although, to be honest, I'm not sure if the audience is there. Or rather than the money from the audience is there. People who like women's wrestling are getting a good deal from FloSlam for both SHINE and SHIMMER, and there is the Stardom Network, too. I'm not sure that they'll be willing to pay another $15 per show for ROH's women's division (especially with the poor state of ROH booking in general).
like they did on the baltimore show..the woh was before the roh show and people can see the womens show for free,also the vod are less expensive,i think that can be the plan

i cant see they running a woh show without a roh show later that day in the same bulding.

separete shows but in the same day both.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Big Red Machine wrote:A championship is fine if they're going to have their own separate shows, but there is no room for a whole new division on the already bloated roster. If they are going to have their own separate shows, I'd like to see ROH go all-out with promoting them, although, to be honest, I'm not sure if the audience is there. Or rather than the money from the audience is there. People who like women's wrestling are getting a good deal from FloSlam for both SHINE and SHIMMER, and there is the Stardom Network, too. I'm not sure that they'll be willing to pay another $15 per show for ROH's women's division (especially with the poor state of ROH booking in general).
You can say that about ROH shows in general frankly.

Overall, I'd say it's a good time to finally push this thing seriously. Shimmer feels more and more irrelevant because they're still a DVD-only company in 2016 (almost 2017) and is horrendously late on releases (74 and 75, the latest two, were taped in APRIL 2015), I always thought Shine kinda sucked with bad booking and that dead Orpheum crowd. I like WSU and actually resubscribe to CZW Studios so I can catch up with current stuff, but they run like five shows a year and the booking can be fucking awful at times.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

monster mafia wrote:WOH Regulars:

Kelly Klein
Mandy Leon
Deonna Purrazzo
Taeler Hendrix
Kennadi Brink
Faye Jackson
Sumie Sakai
Solo Darling
ODB (maybe)
Jessicka Havok (maybe)
Candice LeRae (maybe)
Jenny Rose (maybe)

what other wrestlers you guys would like to see?

for me:

Santana Garrett
Jordynne Grace
LuFisto
I like what I've seen from Hania so far.

Does Ayako Hamada still wrestle?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Thelone is right,is the perfect time to put the division on the map,the struggle of shimmer is real.

Hannia is semi retired i think ,idk well...

Ayako Hamada is a freelancer right now.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Thelone wrote:
You can say that about ROH shows in general frankly.
Yeah, I guess you're right. ROH does have the name behind it, though. And maybe it's just that I haven't been following indy women's wresting as much since WWE got so much better, but the names ROH has (aside from Candice) are not people I was generally even aware of... and I'm pretty hardcore, even for an indy fan, so if I haven't got any wind that the women ROH is using are particularly good workers, I'm going to be drawn more to the SHINE/SHIMMER product with names like Cheerleader Melissa and Mia Yim and the Kimber Bombs and whoever else.
Thelone wrote: Overall, I'd say it's a good time to finally push this thing seriously. Shimmer feels more and more irrelevant because they're still a DVD-only company in 2016 (almost 2017) and is horrendously late on releases (74 and 75, the latest two, were taped in APRIL 2015), I always thought Shine kinda sucked with bad booking and that dead Orpheum crowd. I like WSU and actually resubscribe to CZW Studios so I can catch up with current stuff, but they run like five shows a year and the booking can be fucking awful at times.
If this is the case then they should definitely try to do something with it, but it needs to be something that's actually good instead of just a bunch of random matches. Like real storylines and real booking.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Hey, total outsider posting in here, but would anyone prefer to have this thread renamed? Perhaps to the "Women of Honor Thread"?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Wilson wrote:Hey, total outsider posting in here, but would anyone prefer to have this thread renamed? Perhaps to the "Women of Honor Thread"?
im agree.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
Expect more emphasis on the women going forward as several of the women have been offered contracts for next year. None of the women had been under contract up to this point.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

so deonna is the hottest free agent in wrestling today..she is everywhere...

hope roh can sign her before or after the stardom tour.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Deonna would be the "get" for ROH that should open up a lot of doors for many others I would hope. She is an excellent wrestler that has a lot upside all-round and I think it would certainly send a message to others outside ROH that the company is serious about the woman's devision although if ROH go and make Mandy the champion the devision will be worth nothing.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

BurningHammer wrote:Deonna would be the "get" for ROH that should open up a lot of doors for many others I would hope. She is an excellent wrestler that has a lot upside all-round and I think it would certainly send a message to others outside ROH that the company is serious about the woman's devision although if ROH go and make Mandy the champion the devision will be worth nothing.
mandy is not that bad i think
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

monster mafia wrote:
BurningHammer wrote:Deonna would be the "get" for ROH that should open up a lot of doors for many others I would hope. She is an excellent wrestler that has a lot upside all-round and I think it would certainly send a message to others outside ROH that the company is serious about the woman's devision although if ROH go and make Mandy the champion the devision will be worth nothing.
Personally I think she is ok nothing more and considering the level that is out there you certainly can do a lot better. I think also if you want to show case your new division do it with someone who has that little bit extra, someone who has the fan appreciation.

Considering also how people take offence to Mandy being anywhere near ROH due to her relationship with a certain person I think it could muddy the waters in terms of press and appreciation of a new title. Also a fresh face being heavily highlighted would be great for the division as well as ROH/WOH as a whole. There is also Deanno's highlighted appearances with the WWE, it all can help with press and creating new fan's of the product.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

yeah im agree with you the hype for deonna is something that roh cant waste

i see kelly klein as the number one candidate to get the strap,i hope they create a tournament of at least 16 woh wrestlers and bring some new girls.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Yeah I don't about Klein, she obviously is getting a lot of time invested in here from ROH, I don't know again if that's down to relationships or down to quality, I think she is good and maybe having her got all the way to finals undefeated and then have say Deonna win would be a good idea to get both over and well received.

I agree there certainly needs to be depth from the tournament and there needs to be quality, and I think that's where we will see if ROH is taking this seriously, if it's going to be like previous tournaments with only being filled up with talent that has attended camps or tryouts then I don't feel it will be a huge hit and will be a very wasted opportunity. That said if you have a variety of woman coming in not only from the states but across the world then it would open up a lot of eyes to WOH.
Jay Lethal's Hair

Re: Women of Honor Thread

Post by Jay Lethal's Hair »

^ Various women from across the globe costs $$. The WWE can afford to absorb the losses from that, ROH cannot.

The fact that they're entertaining contracts is great news. You have to go to the camps to get in the game. From there it's a balance of cost and accessibility. Candice was a great one-off add, as was Havok, for that Baltimore show. That is another positive step as they build the division.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

BurningHammer wrote:
monster mafia wrote:
Personally I think she is ok nothing more and considering the level that is out there you certainly can do a lot better. I think also if you want to show case your new division do it with someone who has that little bit extra, someone who has the fan appreciation.

Considering also how people take offence to Mandy being anywhere near ROH due to her relationship with a certain person I think it could muddy the waters in terms of press and appreciation of a new title. Also a fresh face being heavily highlighted would be great for the division as well as ROH/WOH as a whole. There is also Deanno's highlighted appearances with the WWE, it all can help with press and creating new fan's of the product.
I agree with everything you said. The problem with Mandy, besides being green, is the Delirious stigma. When I see Klein I don't think of her association with Whitmer. Since Candace isn't locked down I would definitely go with Deonna as the #1 woman to push. I like her ring work and she can add some shine to the division with her wrestling.
BurningHammer

Re: Women of Honor Thread

Post by BurningHammer »

Jay Lethal's Hair wrote:^ Various women from across the globe costs $$. The WWE can afford to absorb the losses from that, ROH cannot.

The fact that they're entertaining contracts is great news. You have to go to the camps to get in the game. From there it's a balance of cost and accessibility. Candice was a great one-off add, as was Havok, for that Baltimore show. That is another positive step as they build the division.
But that's what you need to do when you are highlighting a new title, you bring in big names you bring in veriety as it's creates a bigger image of the title and if you are going to take it seriously then you have to spend some money to make money. Also considering the desire for womens wrestling and a lack of promotion in the US that has a buzz, SHINE hasn't been what it was it seems and their is a space now for ROH to grow if it wants to.

I think ROH could assorb the losses if it draws a good crowd and the matches deliver as it will lend proof to it being a success down the road.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: I agree with everything you said. The problem with Mandy, besides being green, is the Delirious stigma. When I see Klein I don't think of her association with Whitmer. Since Candace isn't locked down I would definitely go with Deonna as the #1 woman to push. I like her ring work and she can add some shine to the division with her wrestling.
Yeah, I think with Klein she just needs to be better to prove the push she is getting, I never really see the Whitmer thing as well. I do think she has done well to stay away from that and thankfully so have ROH now after a couple of brief appearances. Candince would be a interesting one although considering she is Florida now and I imagine has her sights set on the WWE I imagine signing her would be difficult, that's not say Deonna wouldn't be as I think a lot of people see her worth but ROH would be the smart to make her that big signing.