Reach for the Sky Tour Results

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
Brada

Reach for the Sky Tour Results

Post by Brada »

I have to hand it to several of you guys in the Pick Em's....

I thought you were crazy picking Ospreay to take the TV strap off of Bobby Fish right out of the gate. I just couldn't see it happening. Nice pick fellas.

Leads me to my next question, are they going to hot shot the title over to Scurll tomorrow?

I'm thinking now they just might.
Big Red Machine

Re: Reach for the Sky Tour Results

Post by Big Red Machine »

Brada wrote:I have to hand it to several of you guys in the Pick Em's....

I thought you were crazy picking Ospreay to take the TV strap off of Bobby Fish right out of the gate. I just couldn't see it happening. Nice pick fellas.

Leads me to my next question, are they going to hot shot the title over to Scurll tomorrow?

I don't think so. Stylistically, Ospreay vs. Dragon Lee is a better mesh than Dragon Lee vs. Scurll or Fish. Also, if they wanted Scurll to be champion, they would have booked this as Fish vs. Scurll not Fish vs. Ospreay. What do you get out of hot-shotting? You already got your big, surprising title change and your big "hometown guy wins title" pop. Plus, "guy wins title in his first match" is a better story than "guy wins title in his second match." There is just no benefit to doing it.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Good point.

I don't think Ospreay or Scurll are booked for Final Battle though are they?
Brada

Post by Brada »

Big Red Machine wrote:

I don't think so. Stylistically, Ospreay vs. Dragon Lee is a better mesh than Dragon Lee vs. Scurll or Fish. Also, if they wanted Scurll to be champion, they would have booked this as Fish vs. Scurll not Fish vs. Ospreay. What do you get out of hot-shotting? You already got your big, surprising title change and your big "hometown guy wins title" pop. Plus, "guy wins title in his first match" is a better story than "guy wins title in his second match." There is just no benefit to doing it.

Then why do you have Scurll in your pick em?? lol......just teasing you Big Red....
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I like the title change. I don't think of Ospreay getting it is a hot shot move at all. The guy has nuclear buzz right now and it was the smart move to put the belt on him. Dragon Lee vs. Ospreay TV title matches has me foaming at the mouth right now.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:I like the title change. I don't think of Ospreay getting it is a hot shot move at all. The guy has nuclear buzz right now and it was the smart move to put the belt on him. Dragon Lee vs. Ospreay TV title matches has me foaming at the mouth right now.
Nuclear hot about six months ago. After winning Best of the Super Juniors, New Japan promptly made him 'another junior'. I only imagine things will cool down more for him signing with ROH, because the product is what it is. But yes, as long as this isn't an Ishii-like title run, Ospreay winning the title was a surprisingly in-touch decision. While we're on the subject, the lineage of the TV Title really upped its credibility this year: Strong, Ishii, Fish, Ospreay. Whenever Ospreay drops it (if not to Scurll tonight), the change should be a big event.

Also, I'm sure the big tag team match from Leicester was amazing (see spot below). Still looking to see how it was received.
https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 8599230464
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

Wilson wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:I like the title change. I don't think of Ospreay getting it is a hot shot move at all. The guy has nuclear buzz right now and it was the smart move to put the belt on him. Dragon Lee vs. Ospreay TV title matches has me foaming at the mouth right now.
Nuclear hot about six months ago. After winning Best of the Super Juniors, New Japan promptly made him 'another junior'. I only imagine things will cool down more for him signing with ROH, because the product is what it is. But yes, as long as this isn't an Ishii-like title run, Ospreay winning the title was a surprisingly in-touch decision. While we're on the subject, the lineage of the TV Title really upped its credibility this year: Strong, Ishii, Fish, Ospreay. Whenever Ospreay drops it (if not to Scurll tonight), the change should be a big event.

Also, I'm sure the big tag team match from Leicester was amazing (see spot below). Still looking to see how it was received.
https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 8599230464
Looking to see how Bucks vs Ospreay/Scurll was received? It was a fantastic match. Having attended both Liverpool and Leicester, I can confirm that both of Ospreay's matches thus far have been superb - and to be clear I say that as someone who isn't necessarily the biggest Ospreay fan.

Plenty of decent wrestling across both nights. I thought the vibe of the Liverpool event was slightly better - the Olympia is such an atmospheric venue. The Leicester building, whilst newer and more comfortable, was way too big. Maybe they didn't sell as many tickets as they'd hoped. The crowd was disappointingly quiet for lots of the Leicester show, and the persistent lighting issues were really poor (and really detracted from the Rush/Dijak match which was surprisingly awesome)

Best matches for me thus far have been Ospreay/Fish, Briscoes/O'Reilly vs Bullet Club, Dijak/Rush, Bucks vs Ospreay/Scurll - and I've found both of Sabin's singles matches to be surprisingly crisp & enjoyable undercard matches. Him vs Cole in Leicester could have been even better if they hadn't had to spend so much time BEGGING the crowd to react to their stuff.

It's my daughter's birthday today so I'm not attending the London event - but Marty/Ospreay and Cole/Lethal should be really decent. Lethal has appeared to be one of the most over guys on both shows I attended so there should be a cracking atmosphere for that one.

Final observation - if O'Reilly is really going to be the next World Champ then the UK fans really don't seem to have gotten the message. He was very obviously the least popular guy in the Liverpool main event, and the crowd was brutally silent during the Briscoes/reDRagon match in Leicester...
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

So, going off results for today based on ROH's Twitter page:

Bobby Fish is out for the day, reason not revealed, so reDRagon vs. The Addiction vs. MCMG was changed to The Addiction vs. MCMG by themselves, and Kyle O'Reilly vs. the debuting Travis Banks.

Will Ospreay will defend the ROH TV Title against Marty Scurll

Dalton Castle beat Lio Rush
https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 1623129088

Motor City Machine Guns beat The Addiction

Pre-match promo from Jay Lethal for his ROH World Title match later this evening
https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 7171111936

Jay White beats Donovan Dijak, who were both undefeated on the first two nights. Post match promo, White reveals Lio Rush replaces ACH in the 6-man tag title tournament finals at Final Battle
https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 1392101376

Nick Jackson vs. Mark Briscoe is turned into an impromptu tag match which was won by the Briscoes
https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 0350252032

Kyle O'Reilly over Travis Banks, of course.
https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 4913666049

Scurll beats Ospreay! New TV champion!
Hopefully we get Scurll/Ospreay/Lee/Fish at Final Battle
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Is Gedo booking ROH now? :D
Hopefully this ends in Ospreay vs Scurrl for the TV belt at Final Battle.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Brada

Post by Brada »

Hotshot it was boys...The Villian is the champ.

Guess they didn't want Ospreay losing his first night out was the reason for the hotshot. If that's so, dumb booking decision in my opinion unless they just wanted 2 nights of "wow" factor...
WHG

Post by WHG »

I think this is actually the smartest booking of new talent they've done in some time. It made the tour noteworthy and established both guys immediately as top guys in the promotion. Ospreay got the rub of beating the long-time TV champ (and ROH guy) and lost a hard fought match on the third night of the tour to a long-time nemesis.

Waiting and doing the slow burn on guys is a Delirious weakness, whether it's title wins or pushes for new people. We should be thanking the wrestling gods that he is taking a different approach with these guys.

It also transitioned the Ospreay/Scurll rivalry into ROH in a way that will likely come up again down the road. You don't want to do this to the title all the time, but I think it surprised a lot of people and was effectively done.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Totally agree with WHG. I have been bitching about the booking forever but this doesn't feel like random booking. A lot of the fanbase do not know who these guys are and it's a good way to hook them in.
Big Red Machine

Brada wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

Then why do you have Scurll in your pick em?? lol......just teasing you Big Red....
Because I completely forgot about my original pick when I made that one, LOL. If I had been more careful, I would have picked Ospreay there. Fortunately, it seems to have worked out for me.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Definitely worked out in your favor...........pick ems are pretty close going into FB...
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I guess I can’t blame ROH for not trying an experiment, but I’m always weary of a volley of title changes. I’m not surprised that Scurll was pushed like hell during these shows, I am very surprised they made him TV champion. I thought the most likely thing they would do with him is to make him a World Title contender for a PPV in the near future. Of course, for that to happen Scurll has to drop the belt again, and probably in a multi-man match. A possible four-way at Final Battle puts the championship in a precarious position yet again. If the belt switches there, it just becomes the NEVER Title.

It sounds like the weekend overall worked pretty well—right around how the New Japan have been received the past two years. (And thank you McXal for excellent impressions). Reading results from Friday to Sunday made for some rapid head-canon developments of the Final Battle card: if Bobby Fish loses the TV Title, will he be added to the Final Battle main event? if so, will Jay Lethal also be included into the main event? is Ospreay going to work Final Battle? Scurll must work Final Battle, but will it be in a multi-man match? will any of these mentioned talents be working Cody Rhodes? Now we know that Jay Lethal is indeed wrestling Cody Rhodes, Adam Cole vs. Kyle O’Reilly will most likely be singles, and that Marty Scurll and Will Ospreay will probably be involved in the same match at Final Battle, likely with Bobby Fish and Dragon Lee.

Ospreay and Scurll will make a lot of cards brighter these next few months. I’m relieved to know that ROH understands they are stars.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I don't think for their Hammerstein debut that they will put those guys in a 4 way....especially with Fish, who's being elevated to the World Title picture.

I think they keep them seperate, let Ospreay have his rematch with Scurll, and have Fish go over Dragon Lee.....

If I am right, that makes the card really strong...

Cole/O'Reilly World Title Match
Bucks/Briscoes Tag Title Match
Scurll/Ospreay TV Title Match
Kingdom/Kushida, White, Rush 6 Man Tag Title Finals
Lethal/Cody Rhodes
Fish/Dragon Lee
Cabana/Castle
Liger/Silas Young
Cabinet(or whatever they are called now)/MCMG&Dijak

That fills out a 9 match card.....pretty strong in my opinion.
Big Red Machine

Brada wrote:I don't think for their Hammerstein debut that they will put those guys in a 4 way....especially with Fish, who's being elevated to the World Title picture.

I think they keep them seperate, let Ospreay have his rematch with Scurll, and have Fish go over Dragon Lee.....

If I am right, that makes the card really strong...

Cole/O'Reilly World Title Match
Bucks/Briscoes Tag Title Match
Scurll/Ospreay TV Title Match
Kingdom/Kushida, White, Rush 6 Man Tag Title Finals
Lethal/Cody Rhodes
Fish/Dragon Lee
Cabana/Castle
Liger/Silas Young
Cabinet(or whatever they are called now)/MCMG&Dijak

That fills out a 9 match card.....pretty strong in my opinion.
Nine matches is way too many for three hours. I'm pretty sure they'll have the TV Title match be a four-way (Dragon Lee did earn this title shot, after all). Ideally they'd also hold off on MCMG & Dijak vs. Cabinet until the TV tapings just to avoid cluttering the card
Brada

Post by Brada »

9 might be too many, you're right there.

I respectfully disagree though on the TV Title match. First PPV opportunity for Scurll and Ospreay, NO WAY in hell they put them in a 4 way with Fish and Lee...just don't see it.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

Brada wrote:9 might be too many, you're right there.

I respectfully disagree though on the TV Title match. First PPV opportunity for Scurll and Ospreay, NO WAY in hell they put them in a 4 way with Fish and Lee...just don't see it.
Well, it is official, Ospreay vs Fish vs Scurll vs Lee for the TV Title at Final Battle.
I love the unpredictability of the TV Title, it just changed hands two times, maybe it can change again at final battle.
I think there are way too much very long title reigns and the belt just change hands after a very long story when it is pretty obvious, which has been a big drawback for almost every ROH World Champion recently.
ImageImage
Brada

Post by Brada »

That really shocks me that they would have a 4 way here. I get keeping the total number of matches to a minimum, but a 4 way here just doesn't seem like the right way to go. Fish needs momentum heading into the World Title picture. Lee is just a throw in that doesnt have history with either Ospreay or Scurll.

Either way, I was way off and definitely wrong. I stand corrected.