SOTF night 2

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
Vanilla Gorilla

SOTF night 2

Post by Vanilla Gorilla »

getting this from Twitter - looks like Bobby Fish has won SOTF.

he and Lio Rush were the final 2.
Vanilla Gorilla

Re: SOTF night 2

Post by Vanilla Gorilla »

J. Briscoe def. C. Daniels with a Jay driller

K. O'Reilly def. F. Kazarian with a Brain buster

PBK def. War Machine (Lee spirit bomb Rowe through table)

C. Cabana def C. Sabin with a Billy goat's curse after low blow.

A. Page def. D. Dijak with a Rite of Passage

S. Young def. M. Briscoe with Misery

The Cabinet (Possibly called the rebellion now) def. Tempura boys and Misterioso Jr.

C. Burger and W. Ferrera def. Andy Dalton and Scorpio Sky with shotei
Fidel Costco

Post by Fidel Costco »

Just got home from the show. It was excellent.

The following is spoiler heavy post or match results, observations, and occurances:
Spoiler: show
Dark Match (I think): Ferrara and Cheeseburger def. "Dirty" Andy Dalton and Scorpio Sky via Shotei.

I had no idea Scorpio Sky was still wrestling. Having know him from older PWG shows and those Kane/Daniel Bryan anger management skits, I had heard he had retired. Cool to see him wrestle live.

Rhett Titus/Kenny King/Caprice Coleman def. Tempura Boys and Misterioso.

I had only known little about the Tempura Boys, but they are fun to watch. Misterioso almost botched a powerbomb on King pretty bad in a scary moment. Fortunately, he everything seemed fine afterwards. That being said, I'll be interested in seeing where Titus/King/Coleman go now that they've dropped that dreadful "Make Wrestling Great Again" bit. Prior to the match, the trio cut a promo with Rhett still acting like a discount D'lo Brown, and King and Coleman doing the bulk of the mic work. King compares The Cabinet to "Reservoir Dogs," but the new iteration is "Pulp Fiction." I yelled "But Resevoir Dogs was good!" Coleman called a couple people "jive turkeys." Good to see he has a catchphrase now.

Young def. Mark Briscoe via Misery.

Young enters to boos, and Mark enters to cheers. Mark climbs in a rolling trashcan at ringside and is pushed around high fiving some fans. Young cuts a promo about the last time he and Mark wrestled in San Antonio. Silas says he was humiliated by the loss. Some fans chant "YOU TAPPED OUT!" to which Silas responds, coldly, "I didn't tap out." (it's true. IIRC, he was pinned by a small package.) The two shake hands after the match.

"Hangman" Page def. Dijak in a competitive match.

I was iffy on Page joining Bullet Club, but it seems to have given him some direction and popularity. I've liked Page as a worked for awhile, but felt he lacked personality. The Hangman bit seems to help. Dijak is impressive as hell in person.

After the match Motorcity Machine Guns put Dijak over in a promo and asks the crowd "next world champ?" We oblige, and cheer, because c'mon, why not. They talk about there being a numbers game in ROH as of late and they keep getting jumped. They allude to other wrestlers they could team with to challenge for the ROH 6-Man Championships and drop Dijak's name as a possible partner.

With the promo done, out comes Colt Cabana. I had no idea how to react, a confusion I'd experience through out the match. I'm supposed to hate him now but he's so damn entertaining that I just can't.

Cabana def. Sabin via Billy Goat's Curse.

Cabana and Sabin are both great to watch, and Colt's blending of styles makes for some interesting moments and reactions from Sabin.

After the match, MCMG are jumped by Titus/King/Coleman and Dijak tries to make the save but is beaten down. All three men are bound to the ropes with duct tape as King and Coleman cut a promo about if people don't "get down" they will be "laid down." Or something to that effect.

Keith Lee/Shane Taylor def. War Machine after a Lee Spirit Bombs Hanson through a table.

This was a wild match. Right out the gate, they start brawling at ringside. A trashcan is used, some tables destroyed, Kevin Kelly gets taken out in the case by a tope suicida by Rowe (I think) after Lee dodges the move. Absolutely wild match. Of the No DQ matches I've seen in ROH - Briscoe v Page, Alexander v. Moose, Page v. Whitmer, Elgin/Whitmer v. Titus and Jimmy Jacobs - this was probably the best. Just four big men beating the ever loving shit out of each other. How the ring managed to hold up, I'll never know.

INTERMISSION. Ring crew cleans up the mess made by the last match.

O'Reilly def. Kazarian via Brainbuster.

SAN ANTONIO IS NOW HEADLOCK CITY! According to KOR, at least. A "noogies!" chant breaks out, with KOR giving Kaz a noogie. KOR is looking good going into Final Battle.

Christopher Daniels comes out after the match and cuts a promo putting KOR over and says he wants KOR to win the World Title so they can have a match. KOR leaves and then he talks to Kaz about how they both are not 100% after Ladder War. Daniels says the Addiction want a rematch with the Bucks to get their belts back, but can't since the Briscoes are already in line. So, the best he can do is beat Jay Briscoe to prove he and Kaz deserve a place in Final Battle.

Briscoe def. Christopher Daniels via Jay Driller.

Two masters of the craft at work. Fun match, smooth wrestling. I have still yet to see Daniels land the BME in person. Both men shake hands after the match.

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST FINAL: Lio Rush v. "The Punishment" Damien Martinez v. The Panther v. Bobby Fish v. Jax Dane v. Dalton Castle.

Castle is jumped upon his entrance by Colt Cabana, who steals his cape.

I honest can't choose which was better, this match or the No DQ tag match. Because, holy shit, this was a great match. There was a lot that happened that is better left unsaid because 1)I am tired and don't want to type out the whole match and 2) there is A LOT that happened, but let's just say: Dane is impressive, The Punishment is impressive, Castle and Fish are charisma incarnate, and Lio Rush...oh man, he has a bright future. Panther...was there. And kicked a camera on accident. To the cameraman's credit, he kept working. He was checked on by Castle later on.

I don't even remember the order of elimination. Lot of help I am. But, here's the final two:

Bobby Fish and Lio Rush.

To give you an idea of the interest, a lot of guys were watching from beside the entrance. I saw Hanson, Jay and Mark Briscoe, Andy Dalton, Tempura Boys, and a few others. The final face-off between Fish and Rush was great storytelling, with Fish fighting off a very game but exhausted Lio Rush.
Hell of a show. Best ROH show in SA since their first one. First couple matches were iffy, but the rest of it was fantastic. Hope y'all enjoy it as much as I did.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Fidel Costco wrote:Just got home from the show. It was excellent.

The following is spoiler heavy post or match results, observations, and occurances:
Spoiler: show
Dark Match (I think): Ferrara and Cheeseburger def. "Dirty" Andy Dalton and Scorpio Sky via Shotei.

I had no idea Scorpio Sky was still wrestling. Having know him from older PWG shows and those Kane/Daniel Bryan anger management skits, I had heard he had retired. Cool to see him wrestle live.

Rhett Titus/Kenny King/Caprice Coleman def. Tempura Boys and Misterioso.

I had only known little about the Tempura Boys, but they are fun to watch. Misterioso almost botched a powerbomb on King pretty bad in a scary moment. Fortunately, he everything seemed fine afterwards. That being said, I'll be interested in seeing where Titus/King/Coleman go now that they've dropped that dreadful "Make Wrestling Great Again" bit. Prior to the match, the trio cut a promo with Rhett still acting like a discount D'lo Brown, and King and Coleman doing the bulk of the mic work. King compares The Cabinet to "Reservoir Dogs," but the new iteration is "Pulp Fiction." I yelled "But Resevoir Dogs was good!" Coleman called a couple people "jive turkeys." Good to see he has a catchphrase now.

Young def. Mark Briscoe via Misery.

Young enters to boos, and Mark enters to cheers. Mark climbs in a rolling trashcan at ringside and is pushed around high fiving some fans. Young cuts a promo about the last time he and Mark wrestled in San Antonio. Silas says he was humiliated by the loss. Some fans chant "YOU TAPPED OUT!" to which Silas responds, coldly, "I didn't tap out." (it's true. IIRC, he was pinned by a small package.) The two shake hands after the match.

"Hangman" Page def. Dijak in a competitive match.

I was iffy on Page joining Bullet Club, but it seems to have given him some direction and popularity. I've liked Page as a worked for awhile, but felt he lacked personality. The Hangman bit seems to help. Dijak is impressive as hell in person.

After the match Motorcity Machine Guns put Dijak over in a promo and asks the crowd "next world champ?" We oblige, and cheer, because c'mon, why not. They talk about there being a numbers game in ROH as of late and they keep getting jumped. They allude to other wrestlers they could team with to challenge for the ROH 6-Man Championships and drop Dijak's name as a possible partner.

With the promo done, out comes Colt Cabana. I had no idea how to react, a confusion I'd experience through out the match. I'm supposed to hate him now but he's so damn entertaining that I just can't.

Cabana def. Sabin via Billy Goat's Curse.

Cabana and Sabin are both great to watch, and Colt's blending of styles makes for some interesting moments and reactions from Sabin.

After the match, MCMG are jumped by Titus/King/Coleman and Dijak tries to make the save but is beaten down. All three men are bound to the ropes with duct tape as King and Coleman cut a promo about if people don't "get down" they will be "laid down." Or something to that effect.

Keith Lee/Shane Taylor def. War Machine after a Lee Spirit Bombs Hanson through a table.

This was a wild match. Right out the gate, they start brawling at ringside. A trashcan is used, some tables destroyed, Kevin Kelly gets taken out in the case by a tope suicida by Rowe (I think) after Lee dodges the move. Absolutely wild match. Of the No DQ matches I've seen in ROH - Briscoe v Page, Alexander v. Moose, Page v. Whitmer, Elgin/Whitmer v. Titus and Jimmy Jacobs - this was probably the best. Just four big men beating the ever loving shit out of each other. How the ring managed to hold up, I'll never know.

INTERMISSION. Ring crew cleans up the mess made by the last match.

O'Reilly def. Kazarian via Brainbuster.

SAN ANTONIO IS NOW HEADLOCK CITY! According to KOR, at least. A "noogies!" chant breaks out, with KOR giving Kaz a noogie. KOR is looking good going into Final Battle.

Christopher Daniels comes out after the match and cuts a promo putting KOR over and says he wants KOR to win the World Title so they can have a match. KOR leaves and then he talks to Kaz about how they both are not 100% after Ladder War. Daniels says the Addiction want a rematch with the Bucks to get their belts back, but can't since the Briscoes are already in line. So, the best he can do is beat Jay Briscoe to prove he and Kaz deserve a place in Final Battle.

Briscoe def. Christopher Daniels via Jay Driller.

Two masters of the craft at work. Fun match, smooth wrestling. I have still yet to see Daniels land the BME in person. Both men shake hands after the match.

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST FINAL: Lio Rush v. "The Punishment" Damien Martinez v. The Panther v. Bobby Fish v. Jax Dane v. Dalton Castle.

Castle is jumped upon his entrance by Colt Cabana, who steals his cape.

I honest can't choose which was better, this match or the No DQ tag match. Because, holy shit, this was a great match. There was a lot that happened that is better left unsaid because 1)I am tired and don't want to type out the whole match and 2) there is A LOT that happened, but let's just say: Dane is impressive, The Punishment is impressive, Castle and Fish are charisma incarnate, and Lio Rush...oh man, he has a bright future. Panther...was there. And kicked a camera on accident. To the cameraman's credit, he kept working. He was checked on by Castle later on.

I don't even remember the order of elimination. Lot of help I am. But, here's the final two:

Bobby Fish and Lio Rush.

To give you an idea of the interest, a lot of guys were watching from beside the entrance. I saw Hanson, Jay and Mark Briscoe, Andy Dalton, Tempura Boys, and a few others. The final face-off between Fish and Rush was great storytelling, with Fish fighting off a very game but exhausted Lio Rush.
Hell of a show. Best ROH show in SA since their first one. First couple matches were iffy, but the rest of it was fantastic. Hope y'all enjoy it as much as I did.
Awesome to here it all went down well and it was a great show overall. When I saw a lot of what happened in the SOTF finals I was slightly annoyed and concerned it really effected the match and was too much for a clear main event, but it sounds like it all meshed well and added depth to the whole finals. They certainly needed to add something to whole Cabana and Castle thing so it's nice to see them really push the agenda here.

Even though I never saw it I want to say fair play to Kelly, I think even I would have questioned my sanity at what happened.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Does anyone know the attendance for San Antonio ?
Brada

Post by Brada »

I need to come check out a show in San Antonio....seems like the past couple of shows there have been good.