Official Aftershock Tour 2016 TV Tapings Thread

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
DXvsNWO1994

Official Aftershock Tour 2016 TV Tapings Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Sorry for starting this thread late.

ROH Aftershock Tour '16: Philadelphia (TV Tapings)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 7/16/16

- ROH World Title - Jay Lethal (with Taeler Hendrix) vs. Colt Cabana
- ROH World Tag Team Titles - Triple Threat Match - The Addiction vs. The Motor City Machine Guns vs. War Machine
- Kamaitachi vs. Stuka Jr.
- Donovan Dijak (with Prince Nana) vs. Lio Rush
- "The Hangman" Adam Page vs. Dalton Castle
- Jay White vs. Will Ferrara
- Nanae Takahashi & Jenny Rose vs. Mandy Leon & Sumie Sakai
- Veda Scott vs. Solo Darling
- Plus a live edition of The Fish Tank with Mark Briscoe!

Keep all spoiler related discussions here...
DXvsNWO1994

Re: Official Aftershock Tour 2016 TV Tapings Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Really haven't seen much yet in terms of results, but I guess Lethal retained tonight, because (per someone at the show)....
@mikeVSphilly 52m52 minutes ago
Cole vs. Lethal at DBD for the belt.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Saw on Twitter that Jay White & Jay Briscoe went to a "TV time remaining" draw. Apparently the crowd didn't like it but I think that's a great use of a non-finish.

Also, I'm really glad they're doing Lethal/Cole on the PPV.

The only other thing I saw was it looked like Shane Taylor and Keith Lee vs War Machine was great.

I'm mildly optimistic after the last couple of tapings that things are headed in the right direction again.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Punisher Martinez is back and he is under the guidance of BJ Whitmer. Martinez is an upgrade from Moose. Also , David Starr was back. I was hoping Jason Kincaid would be back , no such luck.
alitigress

Post by alitigress »

Oh sweet dungeon of doom 2.0 also of course Martinez is a upgrade from moose. Moose haven't been wrestling as long as Martinez smh
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

You don't have to shake your head . I was just stating the obvious , that losing Moose to TNA is no big deal .. Don't get negativity .
alitigress

Post by alitigress »

I shook my head because Moose and Martinez have no connection and Martinez being better than Moose is obvious not at you personally
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Martinez is cool, Martinez is good. Cool to see him get a spot. At least now there's a young guy in this Corino/Whitmer feud...again.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

jorgecavos

Post by jorgecavos »

I'll try to remember bits and pieces...

this was my first ROH show in at least 10 years so bear with me as I don't know many of the current stars names.

The main show started with Mark Briscoe coming out and saying that he will be hosting the first episode of the "Chicken Shack" with his guest Bobby Fish. Briscoe was hilarious. Fish told Briscoe that he'd always be remembered as "Jay's little brother".

Lio Rush def. Donovan Dijak

Lethal beat Cabana in the first episodes main event in a very good match
Lethal demanded a shot at Adam Cole at DBD. NIgel eventually gave in after the crowd, Lethal, and eventually Cole all kept asking for the match.

In Ep 2 Nigel said that the originally scheduled Tag Title 3 way match was off due to some BS reason, but there would be a Number 1 contenders match between the Young Bucks and... a team whose name i'm blanking on. Young Bucks won and move on to fight Daniels/Kazarian during Episode 4.

Kamaitachi def. Stuka Jr. in a very entertaining match. The finish involved Kamaitachi ripping off Stuka's mask and rolling him up.

Jay Briscoe's match with Jay White was solid. Crowd wasn't happy with the time limit draw but it was still good nonetheless.

Shane Taylor and Keith Lee def. War Machine was (IMO) the surprise match of the night. Very fast paced, very hard hitting, and very entertaining all around.

Daniels/Kazarian def. the Young Bucks with a dirty finish. Mayhem ensued after the match involving chairs, ladders, and many many superkicks.

If I remember more I'll post tomorrow... this should hold you over for the night. Sorry again for the lack of detail!
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Sounds like a great set of tapings, really looking forward to the Cole/Lethal segment, War Machine vs Lee & Taylor, Briscoe vs White and Rush vs Dijak.
I can only stress what others have said already, things seem to have much more direction right now. Hopefully that trend continues.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

The problem with the Briscoe/White finish was that it didn't go to "TV time remaining"; in fact, it wasn't even the last match on episode 3. It was just stopped because of some bullshit general "time limit" on TV matches that has never existed before which they suddenly pulled out of their asses. There have been plenty of TV matches that went longer without being stopped.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Here are the full taping results via PWP. Interesting to note that two of the originally advertised matches (Triple Threat for the Tag Titles & Castle vs. Page) never took place.
ROH Aftershock Philadelphia 7/16/16 Results SPOILERS
July 16, 2016
Philadelphia, PA

Credit : Eddy Cornelison

**************************SPOILERS TO FOLLOW**************************

The first match was a taping for Women of Honor.

Veda Scott defeated Solo Darling
Scott hit Solo with her own bottle when the ref wasn’t looking.

FIRST TAPING

Jay White defeated Will Ferrara.

Fish Tank/ Chicken Chat Segment

Then Mark Briscoe came out. He said he was supposed to be on the Fish Tank tonight but instead he’s hosting his show, Chicken Chat. His first guest is Bobby Fish. Fish comes out and after some back and forth Fish tells him if he pulls off the impossible and beats him at Death By Dishonor for his TV title he’ll still be Jay’s little brother, and that he makes the TV title the most important title in the world. They threaten to brawl but security breaks them up.

Colt Cabana vs. Jay Lethal.

Security surrounded the ring and Lethal came down without Taeler Hendrix as Nigel issued extra security to prevent interference.The two had a very good match. Cabana kicked out of a Lethal Injection, but Lethal ended up putting him away with two consecutive Lethal Injections.

After the match Lethal got on the mic and said there’s nobody left except Adam Cole and he demands Nigel give him a match. Nigel refuses because of Cole’s actions as of late and Cole comes out and says he’s not shocked because this is a rouse of Lethal pretending to want to fight him and Nigel saying no. Lethal begs Nigel and Nigel begrudgingly says yes, so at Death By Dishonor Adam Cole challenges Jay Lethal for the ROH heavyweight title.
———-

SECOND TAPING

The second tapings start with The Addiction coming out. They put over Philadelphia and their fans but say for the first time ever they will be disappointing the fans because their match with War Machine and MCMG won’t be happening tonight. This brings out RPG Vice who says they’re back from Japan and want a shot, the Young Bucks follow and also challenge for the titles in a 3 way dance.

Nigel gets in the ring and says there won’t be a 3 way match tonight because that’s not what the Addiction signed up for. But RPG Vice and the Young Bucks will have a match now and the winners will face the Addiction for the titles in 2 weeks which ended up being the TV taping main event.

Young Bucks defeat RPG Vice and become the # contenders for the ROH tag team titles.

The crew set up a table in the ring for an ROH World Heavyweight Championship contract signing. Adam Cole is out first followed by Lethal. Cole says he shaved Jay’s hair to prove he can take anything he wants from him whenever he wants and will be doing the same with the ROH World title.

Jay says every match he’s had as champion was about the belt, he hates Jay Briscoe but it was always about the belt, he beat an outsider like Alberto El Patron and it was about the belt, but with Adam Cole it’s not about the belt it’s all about revenge. Both men sign the contract and brawl afterwards. Jay pulls out scissors and tries to cut Cole’s hair but the Young Bucks rush in and pull him out.

Lio Rush defeats Donovan Dijak with a roll up after he counters the Feat Your Eyes. After the match, Dijack beats up Rush but Jay White runs in and makes the save.

Adam Page is interviewed by Kevin Kelly and says he wants to challenge Jay Briscoe and that he has his sights set on the IWGP tag team titles. Jay comes out and interrupts him and the two are separated by security.
---

THIRD TAPING

Before the third taping, there was a Women of Honor tag match.

Jenny Rose and Nanae Takahashi defeated Solo Darling and Sumie Saki.
After the match Kelly Klein came out and beat up the winners but left when Solo and Sumie started attacking her.

Kamaitachi with Christopher Daniels defeated Stuka Jr. after interference from Daniels. Stuka was impressive and got a nice ovation after the match as he thanked the fans.

Tough Tim Hughes vs. David Starr vs. Joey Daddiego vs. Cheeseburger went to a no contest when Punisher Martinez along with BJ Whitmer came out and destroyed everyone.

Jay Briscoe with Mark vs Jay White with the MCMG went to a TV time limit draw. White did look the worse of the two after the match and the adhered to the code of honor. Nigel refused to continue the match, as Jay White appeared to suffering from concussion-like symptoms.

Taylor and Lee defeat War Machine.
Taylor and Lee were impressive, even up being a good match with 4 huge guys.
———–

FOURTH TAPING

Adam Page defeated Jonathan Gresham with a Rite of Passage.

The Cabinet defeated Dalton Castle and the Boys after King hit a superplex on one of the boys and Titus and Coleman hit simultaneous top rope leg drops.

The Addiction defeated the Young Bucks to retain the ROH tag team titles. Kamaitachi came out to help the Addiction but the MCMG came out and stopped him. During the match, Sabin grabbed a chair from Daniels but accidentally hit one of the Bucks. After the match the three teams brawled and did use a ladder during the brawl. After the brawl the Bucks climbed on top of the ladder holding the titles, probably teasing for a three way ladder match at Death By Dishonor.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

looks like a pretty good tv tapings

cole vs lethal and a tlc match for the tag tittles plus some direction for dijak and rush...punisher martinez,lee and taylor,david starr and the push for jay white..

solid!
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Some of the teasing in the Tag Title picture is surprising. Last I checked, neither the Machine Guns nor the Young Bucks were to be at DBD weekend. What's likely is that the Addiction have some interpromotional exhibition match (perhaps a rematch with Cheeseburger and Liger--eek). I support that the Young Bucks are finally back in pole position, but it's strange timing for these angles.

Otherwise, cool stuff. It's really different for ROH to put the accelerator on an excursion talent, and it seems like we're seeing two concurrently in White and Kamaitachi. I also really like Bobby Fish as TV champion. If they give him time, he might make the midcard seem as exciting as when Lethal was champion. For what has been a rather muted year for ROH, I think he is this year's MVP.

However, Cole and Lethal should have feuded two months ago. It's no longer a match I want to see, which is contrasts quite starkly my thoughts from only a few months ago, anticipating that it would be ROH's major match for this year. At the very least, we should have just had more promos from both wrestlers. Lethal and Cole feel like incidental characters and this match obligatory, but not urgent.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Considering that's the go home show I would be surprised if they didn't go with a three way at DBD, maybe it's setting up for Final Battle but that is a long way off and overall just wouldn't make sense but this is ROH and it has been known to just go with something random. I wonder if ROH has just made a stronger effort recently to have the talent available, considering they all ROH contracted wrestlers they should at such a big event.

Either the tapings sound like the best in a long time and with a great crowd, it should really provide a great spark that has been needed for TV for a long time. I still don't know they can't do a weekly taping at say, Philly regularly, and just build a wrestling environment there. Nice to see Punisher used in the right way, i always find simple and clear booking like that far more effective than anything else, if you have a big guy, make him look big and stronger than many around him.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

ecw arena needs to be the regular stage for the tv tapings like before.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Yeah, I certainly think both the ECW arena and Baltimore should be the TV bases, I don't see why they can't do the TV tapings a week later. I think for both talent and the product it would help a lot. I think what they have done for Final Battle is great splitting the TV tapings and the PPV between cities is a good idea.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

The tag 3-way is probably for the September PPV.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Am I correct that three matches advertised for this show didn't happen?

Three-way tag title match - half-ass explanation provided by Daniels (presumably Sabin is hurt so okay)
Briscoes vs Young/Bruiser - no explanation given, seems like Young & Bruiser weren't even there
Castle vs Page - no explanation given; both guys were there and wrestled other matches