Official Winter Warriors Tour 2016 (TV Tapings) Thread

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
dark patriot

Re: Official Winter Warriors Tour 2016 (TV Tapings) Thread

Post by dark patriot »

Thanks for the hard work putting the results together.

Happy to see my picked tourney finale of Rush/Fury happened with the right guy going over. I'm from new England and even I didn't want another NE guy to win.

Glad the gauntlet went the whole episode, I hate it when they are rushed.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
Thelone wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:- Matt Sydal def. Adam Cole
Wait, what ?
Well, if you're someone who thinks that Cole is winning the World Title at the PPV (like myself), then it makes perfect sense, as Cole immediately has a challenger set up. If he doesn't win the World Title at the PPV, then I would say Cole losing to Sydal makes no sense.
But if you want to set up Cole vs. Sydal for the title, wouldn't it be better to just have Sydal win a bunch of singles matches over other people instead of just giving him this one singles win?
Also, a change of pace would be nice considering that they used this very same logic to set up both War Machine and Bobby Fish's title shots at Final Battle.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I am usually not a fan of challengers jobbing en route to a world title match, but if this leads to Sydal getting rebuilt for a Cole/Sydal main event in May then I'm going to allow it.

Glad to see the rumors of Kyle O'Reilly having a singles match were unfounded. Hate to break with a tradition that has done so much for him.
Big Red Machine

A live report on F4W (http://www.f4wonline.com/ring-honor/roh ... tch-207121) said that the crowd wasn't hot and the show went way too long. Looking at the match times in that report, it seems like there was just way too much pointless sh*t going on.
There is absolutely no reason for Mike Posey v. Cheeseburger to be on TV. Never mind the fact that Posey's gimmick is just embarrassing, but how could this possibly help the product? Sure, some people like Cheeseburger (I think he's a good fit for his current role, but nothing more), but there is literally nothing that could come from this match that could possibly help the product... so why book it? Why waste TV time on it, and why waste money paying to bring both guys in.

And the Women of Honor stuff: again... WHY?!
They hyped this up like it was going to be some big night for the Women of Honor (they may have even used those exact words), but then all they did was tape a bunch of pointless, going-nowhere seven-minute matches to put up on YouTube. Which is no different from what they've been doing for months... which hasn't gained any sort of traction at all.

Or what was the point of sticking J Diesel and this other dork no one has heard of before in the gauntlet just so Martini and Diesel could walk out on him? For practical purposes, there is almost not difference between and six team gauntlet and a seven team gauntlet, so why waste and time (and money) on these pointless dorks?
Big Red Machine

Burnside wrote:I am usually not a fan of challengers jobbing en route to a world title match, but if this leads to Sydal getting rebuilt for a Cole/Sydal main event in May then I'm going to allow it.
If they were going to do something with Sydal, they would have done it already. They had all of last year to do it and they didn't do anything with him.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

dhads7161 wrote:From what I took away being there live I think
Spoiler: show
First episode taped seems like the go home show for the PPV. Sydal beating Cole will air post PPV
Probably a singles push for Syal post PPV.
And a well deserved one.

Also, does this mean we're getting 3 old episodes before the post PPV TV tapings finally start airing??? They should really just tape an episode after the PPV (it doesn't even need to include lots of stuff, just have one or two short matches featuring talent that wasn't on the PPV, and do one or two in-ring segments, or even just a lot of backstage interviews, I think they could easily fill 15 minutes with post-match interviews like with everyone that had a match at the PPV, just a quick comment on how they felt it went and what they think will be next for them, and it would probably be really interesting to see, as well as a great way to show some much missing insight into the characters of pretty much everyone), then air that the next weekend, and during that weekend, hold full a set of tapings that you can start airing the weekend after that. Can't be that hard to plan out, can it?
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Why wasn't Elgin on the TV taping?
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Did Sydal sign a new contract? If he didn't then the win over Cole makes no sense. If he did I'm all in on a Sydal singles push.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

dhads7161 wrote:Why wasn't Elgin on the TV taping?
New Japan, where he should be frankly.
Sydal
Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with Sydal getting a short term push as a first title defense for Cole, but this seems so lazy to just have him beat Cole (clean ?) before the PPV instead of building him up a bit. Also, this is happening way too often lately.
Big Red Machine wrote:A live report on F4W (http://www.f4wonline.com/ring-honor/roh ... tch-207121) said that the crowd wasn't hot and the show went way too long. Looking at the match times in that report, it seems like there was just way too much pointless sh*t going on.
Are you saying that a show involving such greats as Cheeseburger, Action Ortiz, Brutal Bob, Brian Fury, Jay Diesel, Kongo, Mike Posey, Chase Brown and whoever Diesel's partner was didn't light the house on fire ? I'm SHOCKED !

But hey, they have a generic set now they should have bought years ago so everything is fine. That'll compensate for the thin, stale roster for a while.
Last edited by Thelone on Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

dhads7161 wrote:Why wasn't Elgin on the TV taping?
He's in New Japan working the Road To "New Beginning" shows.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

So with RPG Vice winning the gauntlet, they will face the winners of War Machine/ANX at the Las Vegas TV tapings.

Speaking of that match, there will apparently be a No DQ match AND a Fight Without Honor the night before. Hardcore heavy PPV.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I'm probably in the minority, but I wouldn't mind seeing RPG Vice win the titles for a transitional period.
Big Red Machine

Thelone wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:A live report on F4W (http://www.f4wonline.com/ring-honor/roh ... tch-207121) said that the crowd wasn't hot and the show went way too long. Looking at the match times in that report, it seems like there was just way too much pointless sh*t going on.
Are you saying that a show involving such greats as Cheeseburger, Action Ortiz, Brutal Bob, Brian Fury, Jay Diesel, Kongo, Mike Posey, Chase Brown and whoever Diesel's partner was didn't light the house on fire ? I'm SHOCKED !
Ortiz and Fury don't bother me because they needed to be there for the TPT.
Kongo is a large due for Moose to beat, which is also fine. It's more the random matches between pointless guys that I have a problem with.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Um, unless they air the Sydal/Cole match on 2/20 that kinda spoils the PPV main event I'd say.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:I'm probably in the minority, but I wouldn't mind seeing RPG Vice win the titles for a transitional period.
I wouldn't mind them as champs in principal, but before that happens I'd like to see some sort of point/focus/feud for War Machine as tag champs. Not that I'm holding my breath because, you know, that would require booking.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Big Red Machine wrote:Ortiz and Fury don't bother me because they needed to be there for the TPT.
Kongo is a large due for Moose to beat, which is also fine. It's more the random matches between pointless guys that I have a problem with.
Sure, but you have to remember that this was pretty much the whole roster outside of a few names (Elgin, Dijak, Taven and ANX for some reason), which should tell you everything you need to know about how tiny this core roster is.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

So did NXT running the night before hurt the attendance? Judging by the accounts, both NXT shows were at least good viewing. The roster is thin. After locking up some more talent, ROH has to be more aggressive signing some guys who aren't even with the company. I would lock up Tommy End, like yesterday.
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

In a lot of ways Nashville last night was one of the worst ROH shows ever.

On a related, but unrelated note, what on earth is with the amount of pull aparts ROH is doing on TV now? They did a bunch in Nashville in November, a few in Charlotte, and I swear they did at least SEVEN last night, many in the first several segments of the show, and teased at least another half dozen. It's crazy. The booking is so repetitive. The same angle for every storyline. Promo, non heated brawl, pull apart. Or promo, glares, security gets in between.

They've pretty much killed the Nashville market at this point.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Are they using the Women of Honor matches on TV? That might consolidate some of the tapings.

The problem is the booking. I don't envision a change any time soon. I would think just an over the top ass kicking of Young on Castle would have put a Fight Without Honor over the moon. Same with the no DQ match between ANX and War Machine. Not even a pull apart? I'm not trying to be negative, but these matches need more heat.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Apparently, those WOH matches were taped for a WOH show pilot, but I imagine they'll just put them on Youtube like always.

NXT can be pretty dry and pedestrian at times, but at least you're excited when the big Takeover comes in. Here, why should I care about Castle and Young facing each other for the FIFTH time in nine months (+ a bunch of multi-man matches) ?