The AIW (Absolute Intense Wrestling) Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: The AIW (Absolute Intense Wrestling) Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Pretty cool little video with Adrianne Palicki from Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. promoting AIW Absolution X:

DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Pretty cool little video with Adrianne Palicki from Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. promoting AIW Absolution X:

Okay, she was born in Toledo. That was so random, I figured there had to be some personal connection.

EDIT: OKay, she's apparently Benjamin Boone's cousin as well. That explains the Iron Curtain plug as well.
Last edited by DBSommer on Tue May 26, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

So, with Raymond Rowe winning the JLIT, we get Josh Alexander vs. Raymond Rowe at Absolution. Which, wasn't a "dream match" until I said it out loud. Cannot wait.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Ladrao12 wrote:So, with Raymond Rowe winning the JLIT, we get Josh Alexander vs. Raymond Rowe at Absolution. Which, wasn't a "dream match" until I said it out loud. Cannot wait.
Actually I think it's going to be Josh Alexander vs. Rickey Shane Page (who won Gauntlet For The Gold X back in March) for the AIW Absolute Title. Raymond Rowe is going to to be in a 5-on-5 Street Fight, featured Dudes On T.V. (Ethan Carter III, Matt Cross, DJ Z, Raymond Rowe & a mystery partner) vs. Team AIW (Johnny Gargano, Josh Prohibition, Alex Daniels & The Young Bucks).

Also, Tim Donst is returning to action at Absolution X! He's wrestling Nick Gage.
DBSommer wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Pretty cool little video with Adrianne Palicki from Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. promoting AIW Absolution X:

Okay, she was born in Toledo. That was so random, I figured there had to be some personal connection.
I'm more surprised that she's a fan of The Iron Curtain.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
Ladrao12 wrote:So, with Raymond Rowe winning the JLIT, we get Josh Alexander vs. Raymond Rowe at Absolution. Which, wasn't a "dream match" until I said it out loud. Cannot wait.
Actually I think it's going to be Josh Alexander vs. Rickey Shane Page (who won Gauntlet For The Gold X back in March) for the AIW Absolute Title. Raymond Rowe is going to to be in a 5-on-5 Street Fight, featured Dudes On T.V. (Ethan Carter III, Matt Cross, DJ Z, Raymond Rowe & a mystery partner) vs. Team AIW (Johnny Gargano, Josh Prohibition, Alex Daniels & The Young Bucks).
Ethan Page was also angling for in 'I Quit' match against Eddie Kingston when 'The Duke' interfered with a post match beatdown.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

DBSommer wrote: Ethan Page was also angling for in 'I Quit' match against Eddie Kingston when 'The Duke' interfered with a post match beatdown.
Yeah I heard that as well. I Quit Match, 5-on-5 Street Fight, Alexander vs. RSP for the Absolute Title, Donst vs. Nick Gage, & probably Vega vs. Whitmer for the Intense Title. Looks like a really good show so far.

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So AIW just announced that they have booked VADER for Absolution X.

Do they book Samoa Joe vs. Vader if the latter is wrestling? He could be there just for autographs...
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:So AIW just announced that they have booked VADER for Absolution X.

Do they book Samoa Joe vs. Vader if the latter is wrestling? He could be there just for autographs...
They would be better off booking Vader vs. Veda. Have him do the job and pass the torch so she can proclaim 'It's Veda Time!' as her new catchphrase.

They could technically do this, despite her match with Athena. :)

I'm assuming it'll be Gargano vs. Joe in a rematch, unless he's booked somewhere else. And the card now looks good enough I'll make the trek again.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

DBSommer wrote: I'm assuming it'll be Gargano vs. Joe in a rematch, unless he's booked somewhere else. And the card now looks good enough I'll make the trek again.
Johnny Gargano is in a Cleveland Street Fight with Josh Prohibition, Alex Daniels & The Young Bucks against Dudes on TV (Ethan Carter III, DJZ, Raymond Rowe, Matt Cross & a 5th guy TBD).

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So the 5th Member of the Dudes On TV is SAMOA JOE, meaning that it will be Samoa Joe, Ethan Carter III, Matt Cross, Raymond Rowe & DJZ vs. Josh Prohibition, Johnny Gargano, Alex Daniels & The Young Bucks in a Cleveland Street Fight.

That match is the definition of insanity.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

This falls into many threads, but Josh Alexander is retiring from wrestling next month, per his Twitter. I can't imagine this is a work, him citing his neck injuries. It sucks as he became one of my favorites over the last few years.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Ladrao12 wrote:This falls into many threads, but Josh Alexander is retiring from wrestling next month, per his Twitter. I can't imagine this is a work, him citing his neck injuries. It sucks as he became one of my favorites over the last few years.
I saw the news as well. I couldn't believe it when I read it. Very sad to hear. Josh Alexander is a absolutely tremendous talent. It sucks that he never got a big break, but it sounds like he's just gotten very unlucky with neck injuries over the years.

This means that he's definitely losing the AIW Absolute Title to Rickey Shane Page at Absolution X (though I think RSP was going to win regardless). Curious to see what happens with AAW Heavyweight Title, because he's teaming with Ethan Page as The Monster Mafia against OI4K at the AAW show next weekend. I guess, unless they change things, they'll just vacate the title.

His final match will be in Alpha-1 on July 12. It'll be The Monster Mafia vs. Scotty O'Shea & Alessandro del Bruno.

AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

Totally sucks. Him and Page were fucking incredible. I honestly saw them as the future of ROH.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Place was packed, though they got off to a late start (8:20 instead of 7:30), and the show went 4 hours. There was no air conditioning in the place, so it was a sweat box. Pretty sure by the end the temperature inside was about 20 degrees hotter than outside the building. Despite this the ME was great enough that the crowd was hot for it and on their feet.

Live, the best matches were Donst vs. Gage (if you like hardcore style), the 6 Man scramble which had ACH guest appear, and Cedric look like he destroyed Candice with the Lumbar Check, and The Dudes on TV vs. Team AIW. Joe only took a combined Bucks superkick once, if I recall correctly. As the announcer pointed out, it probably is the only time you'll see ROH, WWE, TNA, and LU represented on the same team. It was a great ME live. Since it was by street fight rules, people just came and went as they pleased in the ring, and it worked.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Some vids from Absolution X. I should mention, Cedric's move on Candice, this view doesn't do it justice. Hopefully they'll get the front angle when they release the final edit of it.

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Holy Shit...

DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Review for Absolution X

Iron Curtain vs. AIW Students

An excuse to get all these guys on the card. Harmless for what it was.

**1/4

AIW Women's Championship Match: Veda Scott (c) vs. Athena

Veda has improved a lot, and Athena is already great. Good match.

**3/4

AIW Intense Championship Match: Davey Vega (c) vs. BJ Whitmer

Built up from the JTLI, it's a former champ vs. the newer champ in veteran vs. new guy match. Decent.

**3/4

I Quit Match: Ethan Page vs. Eddie Kingston

The blow off to a year long feud. I expected good things from this and was disappointed. Partially because Kingston's manager, the Duke, interfered almost the entire time, and this thing lacked intensity needed in an I Quit match and an end to a year long feud. All it took was a spool of barbed wire to make Eddie quit.

**1/2

AIW Tag Team Championship Match: Cheech & Colin Delany (c) vs. Tracy Williams & Tyson Dux

I actually like Dux and Williams gimmick of trying to be WWE entertainment stylish, while actually being the polar opposite. Williams is the one that impressed here.

**3/4

6 Pack Scramble: Louis Lyndon vs. Candice LeRea vs. Flip Kendrick vs. Cedric Alexander vs. ACH vs. Tyler Thomas

Long time AIW guy ACH is a last minute replacement for the injured Sabin. Definitely a move up. This match was unquestionably the best until now by far. Flip and Thomas were the only two 'just there' guys as the others all made this match really great, and Cedric hit the move of the night when he destroyed Candice with a Lumbar Check.

**** (I gave an extra quarter for the Candice Cedric thing, so for most it's probably 3 and a quarter)

Anything Goes Match: Tom Donst vs. Nick Gage

I don't like anything goes matches as a rule, think Donst is overrated, and do not care about hardcore wrestlers like Gage.

And yet I enjoyed this tremendously. The two really gave a win at any cost aura to the bout, and made it brutal and a true anything goes match. This had the intensity Page and Kingston needed in their outing. My hat is off to both guys for overcoming my biases to everything going into this match and making me fully involved and caring about it.

***3/4. And if you like this sort of match, I suspect you'll rate it higher.

Absolute Title Match: Josh Alexander (c) vs. Ricky Shane Page

Josh is retiring, and Page, while looking generic to me, is really over with the crowd. Apparently this has been building for Page for a while, and it did have a good resolution to a title run feel.

***1/2

And this is what sold me on the card.

Dudes on TV (EC3, Samoa Joe, Matt Cross, Raymond Rowe, & DJ Z) Vs. Team AIW (The Young Bucks, Johnny Gargano, Josh Prohibition, & Alex Daniels)

I doubt you'll see a team composed of ROH, NXT, LU and yes, even TNA, talent at the same time. And across from that the likes of the Young Bucks and Gargano (with an indy vet and new guy as well)

EC3 got on the mic and put in the stipulation that he will indeed 'suck it' should his team lose, but of course he swears they won't so there's nothing to worry about. He does have an ability to do a classic heel promo, which 90% plus of the guys in the indy scene lack and it did enhance the match. Which didn't really need any enhancement.

Despite the fact there are 10 guys in what is a essentially a scramble match, it's a non stop action packed fight. Every guy gets a chance to shine and hit their moves, and there is never a slow moment in the entire thing. Definitely match of the night, and the line up is one time only. Even Joe looked more inspired than his somewhat by the numbers match he had with Gargano and the JTLI. And the aftermath is very sweet. The only very minor complaint I had is I would have loved to see more of it. But at the rate they were going, it's easy to see what it didn't go longer.

****1/4. Some might find it high, but it worked on every level for me.

This is a tale of two halves. The first being 'meh' while the second was much better, with two great matches and one truly awesome one.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Review for Best of ACH in AIW

Got this when I purchased the Absolution X DVD. This is going back to his real early stuff

1: TPI 2011: ACH vs. Gary Jay

Yeah, Gary Jay screams 'local indy wrestler' in both attire and ability

2: Nightmare Before Xmas 5: ACH & Davey Vega & Mat Fitchett vs. The Submission Squad

ACH is the only real bright spot here.

**1/4

3: Gauntlet for the Gold 7: ACH vs. Uhaa Nation vs. Rickey Shane Page vs. Facade

Now this is much better. Facade still tries to do to much and looks botchy, but ACH and Uhaa more than make up for it

***1/4

4: Straight Out of Compton: 30 minute Iron Man Match: ACH vs. AR Fox

Originally this was supposed to be Fox vs. Nation, but Uhaa got injured. In some ways I prefer 30 minute Iron Man's as the pace is much quicker. This one was very good.

***3/4

5: JLIT 2012: Davey Vega vs. ACH

Solid, but not really that great.

6: Absolution 7: ACH vs. Adam Cole

This was when Cole first won the ROH tv title and was coming into his own. Also had the longest knuckle lock ever.

***1/2

7: Hell on Earth 8: 30 Minute Iron Man Match: ACH vs. AR Fox

Second go around, that, despite what ACH insists, I thought was slightly better than the first.

***3/4+

8: Conspiracy Theory: ACH vs. Ethan Page

This is a weird one since it is brief. I can only assume it's on here because Page is something of a 'name' and it's an intro to the next match which was on the same card.

**3/4

9: Conspiracy Theory: ACH vs. Michael Elgin

This is the third time I've seen the pair go at it, and once again they deliver and then some. I loved it.

****1/4. Nearly as good as their Dragon Reign match.

10: JLIT 2014: ACH vs. Josh Alexander

I used to think Ethan Page was the better singles guy from the Monster Mafia, but I was wrong. This was one of those matches that made you go 'wow'. I'm so sorry Josh is retiring now that I'm realizing how good he is.

So this was a tale of two halves again. The early stuff, not so good, but it get progessively better. Thanks to the last 2 matches, I can recommend this one.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I'm horribly behind on bout AIW & AAW. I need to really start catching up soon. That being said, I honestly can't wait to watch some of the shows from this year.