What Has Happened Here?

Talk about anything not to do with ROH. Time limit draws don't apply here!
Mr. Mojo Risin

What Has Happened Here?

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:51 am

What's with all the fucking advertising going on here? This promotional bullshit is an eyesore and quite frankly takes away from more important things like Brada showing kick ass things like his baseball announcing or Thelone's Sumo Wrestling.

Wilson

Re: What Has Happened Here?

Post by Wilson » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:22 pm

I'm not entirely privy to the recent outpouring of sleazy internet spam, but it seems like it has something to do with the script changes that came along with the upgraded site.

To be clear, all of the new threads created by users without many posts are bots/spam accounts. Please do EDIT>not<EDIT follow any of their links.

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Wilson wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:22 pm
To be clear, all of the new threads created by users without many posts are bots/spam accounts. Please do follow any of their links.
Very well, I will.

In all seriousness, this is why I have the "New members must be activated by an admin" option on my forum because this was a pain to manage on older versions of phpBB, even with re-captcha stuff set up. My predecessors were so lost that they just deactivated the sign-in form and the only way to get in was by sending an e-mail to them so they could set up the new account by themselves. Hell, I had to delete tens of thousands of shitty spambot accounts when I got promoted to admin because they basically gave up trying to find actual people in that cesspool after a while.

Actually, I just noticed that since I upgraded to 3.2.0. about a week ago, not a single spambot got through.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.

Wilson

Post by Wilson » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:48 pm

Me, earlier, at my most Freudian, subconsciously wanting the board to "Help You on Your Can you eat sweet potato skin". (Really, don't click on those links, lads.)

Getting into the truly finer sieve of the Off-Topics, @Thelone, what is even going on with your blog now? You're, like, reviewing Kubrick and Hitchcock films on there? Maybe now's a great time for me to start my blog in which I read the freshly released English translations of Proust at completely continental speeds.

Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:47 pm

Thelone wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:37 pm
Wilson wrote:
To be clear, all of the new threads created by users without many posts are bots/spam accounts. Please do follow any of their links.
Very well, I will.

In all seriousness, this is why I have the "New members must be activated by an admin" option on my forum because this was a pain to manage on older versions of phpBB, even with re-captcha stuff set up. My predecessors were so lost that they just deactivated the sign-in form and the only way to get in was by sending an e-mail to them so they could set up the new account by themselves. Hell, I had to delete tens of thousands of shitty spambot accounts when I got promoted to admin because they basically gave up trying to find actual people in that cesspool after a while.

Actually, I just noticed that since I upgraded to 3.2.0. about a week ago, not a single spambot got through.
Man, I can't believe you sat through the John Cena flick. Rear Window is a great movie though. I enjoy your trips to the flea market. I suppose I could comment on those on your website, but I like pimping for you here.

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:14 pm

Wilson wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:48 pm
Getting into the truly finer sieve of the Off-Topics, @Thelone, what is even going on with your blog now? You're, like, reviewing Kubrick and Hitchcock films on there? Maybe now's a great time for me to start my blog in which I read the freshly released English translations of Proust at completely continental speeds.
Since I gave up on pro wrestling for the time being, I'm just trying new content for the blog and see what sticks, hence the random movie reviews, restaurant reviews, and flea market stuff. I'm still working on a Prague article also since I went there at the beginning of June.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:47 pm
Man, I can't believe you sat through the John Cena flick.
Yeah, it was pretty bad, but nowhere near that shitty French movie I just saw tonight.
Rear Window is a great movie though.
It sure is.
I enjoy your trips to the flea market.
Shame you weren't there when I was much more active on those. Pretty much every weekend, I was up at 4 or 5am and spent the entire morning visiting flea markets and whatever else.
I suppose I could comment on those on your website, but I like pimping for you here.
Nevertheless, I appreciate it.

cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:43 am

Thelone wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:37 pm
Wilson wrote:
Very well, I will.

I was highly considering doing this.

We just upgraded to 3.2.0 and all the spambots got in LOL
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:56 pm

I feel like you probably don't have reCaptcha set up then, because I still haven't got my first "new" spambot since then.

cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:58 am

Thelone wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:56 pm
I feel like you probably don't have reCaptcha set up then, because I still haven't got my first "new" spambot since then.
I have set it up which I thought I did correctly but as you know sometimes it's not entirely correct. I bet I reset it and then didn't resync the board which I did recently and haven't seen any "new" spambots but it's a step I keep forgetting.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld