“Tripling” of England fan base is a condition of NFL team mo

Talk about anything not to do with ROH. Time limit draws don't apply here!
HarpoonIPA
Donator
Donator

“Tripling” of England fan base is a condition of NFL team mo

Post by HarpoonIPA » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:49 am

“Tripling” of England fan base is a condition of NFL team moving there

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ing-there/

The NFL returns to London again this week, for the first of two games involving a quartet of teams that have one win among them.

Despite the quality of the teams to play there this year, the annual visit inevitably will resurrect talk of a team playing not one home game but all home games in England.

NFL UK managing director Alistair Kirkwood said Monday that, before a team relocates to London, a “tripling” of the fan base in the United Kingdom must occur.

The next step in the process will be a tripling of the games that historically had been played in London. From 2007 through 2012, the league staged one game per year at Wembley Stadium. This year, it’ll be two. Kirkwood said a third game could be added by 2014.

The Jaguars have committed to playing one game per year for the next four years. The Rams initially had announced such an arrangement before backing out, due to issues with the team’s lease in St. Louis.

Before any franchise can move to London, it’s not just the game’s fan base but that team’s fan base that needs to increase. If it happens with the Jaguars over the next four years, they become a logical candidate to, at a minimum, play a split schedule between Jacksonville and London.

The good news for folks in Jacksonville is that the team currently could be too bad to develop a bigger fan base in another country.

Hooray?

----------------------

What do you guys from the UK think about getting you're own NFL team?
ハープーンIPA
ニューイングランド·ペイトリオッツのファン

supersonic

Re: “Tripling” of England fan base is a condition of NFL tea

Post by supersonic » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:56 am

That and Thursday Night Football absolutely make the player safety movement come across as a completely insincere sham.

ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:16 pm

I kind of want to see it because it would be really interesting to see how it plays out. I'm not sure, in reality, it would work. If the NFL do go ahead with it, it won't be for another 10+ years at least.

Two or three games a year are fine at the moment because it's still new and seeing a variety of teams is exciting. Seeing the same team play eight games would be a totally different test, especially seeing as the team would probably suck for quite a while at the beginning.

With the current games as well, a large majority of the crowd (me included) travel to London for the games. I couldn't afford, or particularly want, to go to London for eight NFL games - the cost would be tremendous. And that's not even getting started on the logistical problems...

ROHdk

Post by ROHdk » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:31 am

Would like to see it happen, but I'm not sure it will. A lot of players seem to be against it. I can understand why. If you are an American and all your friends and family are in the United States, and your team moves to London. The same with trades. It must be odd to be told you have to move to Europe immediately. That being said, London is an awesome city.

D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:14 am

The only reason I'm interested in this is that, if there is a London-based NFL franchise, it means Tottenham can increase the capacity of their new stadium to 65,000 seats (because, for no logical reason, we can get planning permission for a 56,250-seat stadium otherwise)

HarpoonIPA
Donator
Donator

Post by HarpoonIPA » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:38 am

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:I kind of want to see it because it would be really interesting to see how it plays out. I'm not sure, in reality, it would work. If the NFL do go ahead with it, it won't be for another 10+ years at least.

Two or three games a year are fine at the moment because it's still new and seeing a variety of teams is exciting. Seeing the same team play eight games would be a totally different test, especially seeing as the team would probably suck for quite a while at the beginning.

With the current games as well, a large majority of the crowd (me included) travel to London for the games. I couldn't afford, or particularly want, to go to London for eight NFL games - the cost would be tremendous. And that's not even getting started on the logistical problems...
The difference with you having a team that plays 8+ games a season in the UK is that, that team is your team it will represent the UK. Just like there is talk of moving the Buffalo Bills to Montreal, at that point they would be a Canadian team. Oh and the reason I said 8+ is you could have 1 and 2 at the most home playoff games if you team finishes in the top 2 of the AFC or NFC.
ハープーンIPA
ニューイングランド·ペイトリオッツのファン

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Be sure to watch both games this weekend. For best comparison, I'd say Patriots @ Broncos is Joe vs. Punk, while 49ers @ Seahawks is Morishima vs. Danielson if it had taken place in Seattle too. The AFC Championship is a classic work-of-art style showdown featuring two long-time rivals that will go a long way in determining legacies, and the NFC Championship is the equivalent of a bragging rights steel cage grudge match in front of an incredibly partisan audience. That there will be one more showdown between the winners of these two matchups is absolutely amazing, as both of these are Super Bowl caliber contests.

Being at the NFC Championship is going to be far grander than any WrestleMania or ROH event I've ever attended, even if the 49ers find a way to overcome our iconic crowd noise. This is why life is worth living.

ROHdk

Post by ROHdk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:31 am

I understand why you're excited. I'm a Giants fan myself, and especially the Super Bowl win in 2008 was so amazing. I was sure the Patriots would win, since they were 18-0. And then the Giants overcame the odds, and won. Such a good day... I really don't like the Patriots that much, so this was even sweeter.

The Seahawks are definitely my favourites this year. I think their defense will win it for them.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:31 pm

You know, WWE has a GOLDEN opportunity to get some publicity this weekend with Danielson's concussion. No reason for him to appear on those meaningless house shows in the Midwest, have him attend the NFC Championship and see if the Seahawks would let him raise the 12th Man flag right before kickoff!

Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:40 pm

supersonic wrote:You know, WWE has a GOLDEN opportunity to get some publicity this weekend with Danielson's concussion. No reason for him to appear on those meaningless house shows in the Midwest, have him attend the NFC Championship and see if the Seahawks would let him raise the 12th Man flag right before kickoff!
Seeing that amazing Seattle crowd roar YES YES YES for Bryan would be outstanding! It might even break me out of my NFL depression. This needs to happen. Otherwise I'll continue to dejectedly eat my NFL Sunday bratwurst as I sit here in this frozen wasteland known as Wisconsin, lamenting the fact that there's no Packer game.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:26 pm

What an absolutely unbelievable night in Seattle! The Super Bowl is going to tear the house down.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:49 am

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:00 pm

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:54 am

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:39 am

Looks like Arizona still hasn't gotten over that Super Bowl loss from a few years ago...

That international map is quite interesting.

D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:10 am

It's getting illogical again: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29546374

The ridiculous thing about this is that Tottenham requested to use Wembley for a season as we're building a new ground, which The FA refused point blank - yet when the NFL suggest they expand into Europe whether Europe or the franchise that's going to be sent over here (with all signs pointing to the Jacksonville Jaguars) they couldn't drop their trousers fast enough.

It's pretty clear that money is a motivator, given how Wembley was opened eighteen months late and construction came in grossly over budget, but the mathematics make no sense: London Franchise would play eight regular season games at Wembley, while Spurs would play nineteen league games along with potential cup and European fixtures, meaning in one season they'd play as many games as London Franchise would, so why are The FA happy to leave money on the table like this?

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:58 am

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:46 pm

For any Seahawks and Patriots fans interested in a potential group suite for the Sunday Night Football scheduled 11/13 at Gillette Stadium. It'll be Veterans Day weekend and the day after UFC's debut @ MSG.

Courtesy Gillette Stadium's Chris Silvia - https://www.scribd.com/doc/316663675/Tailgate-Party

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:20 am

Anyone in the Northeast interested in meeting me on Veterans Day weekend in Boston or Foxborough? I was fortunate enough to obtain a ticket to the Seahawks @ Patriots game so I'll be in Massachusetts.