ROH TV

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
Montana

Re: ROH TV

Post by Montana »

I hate to say it; but this was probably one of my least favorite episodes since the restart. I agree with the repackaging of World Famous CB; and Ian and Caprice did their best to put him over all the whole match. The match was alright; but they just don't have the believable factor with CB in pure matches. Think he's better off as a high flyer; in more of a tag team or trio. We'll see though... the booking; and character acting need to be perfect to pull it off; and don't think we are there yet.

The main event again was an alright match; but seems like a bad finish/end to the show. First we'll start with FLip Gordon getting put in a team with LFI; and they completely screw him over taking the punishment.... YET continues to fight with them; against his former faction members. Common sense on Flip Gordon behalf is to say screw LFI; i'm helping my old tag partners, whom never really broke up. Secondly; airing this match like 7 weeks! after Final Battle. Again, seems like common sense to me; but tape and air this as a shorter 5-10 minute match to open a show; as close to after Final Battle as possible. Use someone other than Flip, if you are going to book them that way. THEN; build off the DQ; later in the taping/future episodes where these guys have "real" matches singles or tag. Guess we know Dragon Lee pulled double duty at the tapings; but not sure on the others.

Also they need to use the episode to build towards future episodes and promote upcoming TV matches; if you don't have a PPV announced yet. Especially after a ending like that. Like i wouldn't mind it; if it meant we get something like Brody/PCO vs. Rush/Bestia or something coming next week or in 2 weeks. Guess we will see. Maybe at the next tapings.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Montana wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:30 am I hate to say it; but this was probably one of my least favorite episodes since the restart. I agree with the repackaging of World Famous CB; and Ian and Caprice did their best to put him over all the whole match. The match was alright; but they just don't have the believable factor with CB in pure matches. Think he's better off as a high flyer; in more of a tag team or trio. We'll see though... the booking; and character acting need to be perfect to pull it off; and don't think we are there yet.

The main event again was an alright match; but seems like a bad finish/end to the show. First we'll start with FLip Gordon getting put in a team with LFI; and they completely screw him over taking the punishment.... YET continues to fight with them; against his former faction members. Common sense on Flip Gordon behalf is to say screw LFI; i'm helping my old tag partners, whom never really broke up. Secondly; airing this match like 7 weeks! after Final Battle. Again, seems like common sense to me; but tape and air this as a shorter 5-10 minute match to open a show; as close to after Final Battle as possible. Use someone other than Flip, if you are going to book them that way. THEN; build off the DQ; later in the taping/future episodes where these guys have "real" matches singles or tag. Guess we know Dragon Lee pulled double duty at the tapings; but not sure on the others.

Also they need to use the episode to build towards future episodes and promote upcoming TV matches; if you don't have a PPV announced yet. Especially after a ending like that. Like i wouldn't mind it; if it meant we get something like Brody/PCO vs. Rush/Bestia or something coming next week or in 2 weeks. Guess we will see. Maybe at the next tapings.
The commentary put over the winner gets more money so that why flip was still working with rush and we know flip character loves getting paid
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I’d much rather Brody never have to deal with the stink of Flip, Brody teaming with PCO makes far more sense, when you consider their history and if you want the baddest people around are you really going to want to team with Flip, especially when he’s put himself out there as a heal which none of Brody’s team or him are. Flip also adds a personal interplay considering history more than anyone else I get that which is why I’m guessing they used him instead of anyone else.

If Flip was left all on his own, (don’t know the finish, just guessing) that’s a great finish to me, everyone wants Flip to have his ass handed to him as he’s just a complete idiot and very much plays into LFI as personalities.

Also how do you know they aren’t building off the DQ, your getting ahead yourself
Montana

Post by Montana »

BurningHammer wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:06 am I’d much rather Brody never have to deal with the stink of Flip, Brody teaming with PCO makes far more sense, when you consider their history and if you want the baddest people around are you really going to want to team with Flip, especially when he’s put himself out there as a heal which none of Brody’s team or him are. Flip also adds a personal interplay considering history more than anyone else I get that which is why I’m guessing they used him instead of anyone else.

If Flip was left all on his own, (don’t know the finish, just guessing) that’s a great finish to me, everyone wants Flip to have his ass handed to him as he’s just a complete idiot and very much plays into LFI as personalities.

Also how do you know they aren’t building off the DQ, your getting ahead yourself
I guess you would just have to see how the match plays out. While i agree Brody/PCO don't really need Flip at this point; it felt odd to me; and i' a regular. I imagine a casual would also be a little confused by it. I missed Ian saying there was money on the line; but even still... why would that match be any different than any other match.

I assume they are building off a DQ at some point; BUT.... ROH should be saying whats upcoming on future episodes or building towards a PPV. ROH really isn't doing either right now. Sports or Soap Opera; it all builds to the next episode. Like i know they will probably be some good matches next week; but tease them a bit. This is why AEW/NXT are building up TV matches weeks out. They are fighting for viewers. ROH should be doing the same. For all i know, it could be another 6-7 weeks before i see any follow up to it.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:38 am
BurningHammer wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:06 am I’d much rather Brody never have to deal with the stink of Flip, Brody teaming with PCO makes far more sense, when you consider their history and if you want the baddest people around are you really going to want to team with Flip, especially when he’s put himself out there as a heal which none of Brody’s team or him are. Flip also adds a personal interplay considering history more than anyone else I get that which is why I’m guessing they used him instead of anyone else.

I guess you would just have to see how the match plays out. While i agree Brody/PCO don't really need Flip at this point; it felt odd to me; and i' a regular. I imagine a casual would also be a little confused by it. I missed Ian saying there was money on the line; but even still... why would that match be any different than any other match.

I assume they are building off a DQ at some point; BUT.... ROH should be saying whats upcoming on future episodes or building towards a PPV. ROH really isn't doing either right now. Sports or Soap Opera; it all builds to the next episode. Like i know they will probably be some good matches next week; but tease them a bit. This is why AEW/NXT are building up TV matches weeks out. They are fighting for viewers. ROH should be doing the same. For all i know, it could be another 6-7 weeks before i see any follow up to it.
Personally I don’t find it confusing, I’d rather Flip not be there and PCO like wise there at all but I get it for the purpose and I imagine everything will play out in time as has been happening more so than not.

Fighting for what viewers, it’s really a small amount of people watching either show, seeing figures as they are and people getting excited up in arms when you consider ECW was bombed for doing regular 1.2’s against the likes of WCW and WWF at the time. ROH are close to getting the most out of what they are given, with only one, one hour show a week with multiple talents to introduce, build back up or repackage it’s going to take a while. Even more so if you are trying to tie multiple storylines which they are doing pretty well. I would guess once the likes of CB, Edwards, Yehi and maybe a couple of others are more set in our minds as talents we will start to get more focus on the bigger storylines and occasionally dip back into the smaller talents who will have a focus later on.

Considering the amount of talent available to ROH they really could do with another hour of something on YouTube if they aren’t increasing the TV time anytime soon.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

We have at least one match stemming from this weeks TV, although slightly different to what you might expect and I’m guessing more is too come.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Briscoes lost after flip gordon kicked mark in the face leading to the pin than ec3 came out to tell jay he more free then he knows which leads to commentary team to question if ec3 paid gordon to attack mark so jay can be free of mark and bennett beat bateman after the match matt taven took a chair to his ankle and said if vincent doesnt agree to one more match the kingdom will keep taking out vincent group and shane taylor promotions won the six man tag titles
Montana

Post by Montana »

Wow... that was one whole sentence huh?

Pretty good episode. I was thinking EC3 was going to attack the Briscoes, so when Flip did; that was a nice little twist. EC3 character is still pretty weird.

Mexasquad looked pretty good on this show; and kinda felt like they should have retained; but oh well. STP has been pretty hot lately; so think they can have a nice run. Mexasquad can go in the tag division.

Nice change of pace with no pure wrestling; but think a good balance is some of both.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Montana wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:59 pm Wow... that was one whole sentence huh?

Pretty good episode. I was thinking EC3 was going to attack the Briscoes, so when Flip did; that was a nice little twist. EC3 character is still pretty weird.

Mexasquad looked pretty good on this show; and kinda felt like they should have retained; but oh well. STP has been pretty hot lately; so think they can have a nice run. Mexasquad can go in the tag division.

Nice change of pace with no pure wrestling; but think a good balance is some of both.
I think roh is been the best wrestling show on tv
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:59 pm Wow... that was one whole sentence huh?

I think this is kind of another instance where it shows ROH going to a longer show would be beneficial. As a pure rules/title match would be a nice breaker between the more contemporary booking style like this, along with a women’s match too, ROH is able to cover all bases without going overboard on one or the other.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I agree the longer show would be better... but i really think they need to figure out their future TV distribution should be first. If they have a two hour TV show; you still have the problem that fans watch it; but can't talk about it for a few days because of spoilers. Which is kind of the opposite of what you want. Think they could basically put "any' content on their current channels. Recap show, week by week, classic matches, etc. It airs at midnight in my area. It's not that far off from infomercial time.

I feel like ROH has these options:

1) Stay the current course ... just tape 1 hour TV events and air them. Limit the honorclub PPV's.

2) Get an additional Prime time TV Deal for 2 hours; and clip show on the regional channels. 4 HonorCLub PPVs a year or monthly shows like Impact plus.

3) Go 2 hours on current channels , with limited HonorClub PPVs.

4) Go back to what they were doing before, with HonorClub Live events (40) and the TV is basically a highlight show.

5) Modify the HonorClub as a free/low cost service to get as many subscribers as possible. Air weekly events live.

While i prefer the Honorclub live experience ; i do kinda feel option 1 or 3 are the safest approaches at the moment. Once they can tour; i'm kinda on the fence if they should try hard to get a TV deal; OR go "all in" on honorclub. The problem with how much "free" content there is today in wrestling; it's really going to limit subscribers, unless super cheap. Thats probably why they need better TV distribution to stay relevant. IF they do focus on TV, and keep Honorclub.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Montana wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:37 pm I agree the longer show would be better... but i really think they need to figure out their future TV distribution should be first. If they have a two hour TV show; you still have the problem that fans watch it; but can't talk about it for a few days because of spoilers. Which is kind of the opposite of what you want. Think they could basically put "any' content on their current channels. Recap show, week by week, classic matches, etc. It airs at midnight in my area. It's not that far off from infomercial time.

1) Stay the current course ... just tape 1 hour TV events and air them. Limit the honorclub PPV's.

2) Get an additional Prime time TV Deal for 2 hours; and clip show on the regional channels. 4 HonorCLub PPVs a year or monthly shows like Impact plus.

4) Go back to what they were doing before, with HonorClub Live events (40) and the TV is basically a highlight show.

5) Modify the HonorClub as a free/low cost service to get as many subscribers as possible. Air weekly events live.

While i prefer the Honorclub live experience ; i do kinda feel option 1 or 3 are the safest approaches at the moment. Once they can tour; i'm kinda on the fence if they should try hard to get a TV deal; OR go "all in" on honorclub. The problem with how much "free" content there is today in wrestling; it's really going to limit subscribers, unless super cheap. Thats probably why they need better TV distribution to stay relevant. IF they do focus on TV, and keep Honorclub.
I pointed this out a few days ago stadium seems to be the place to go for roh like this week episode that aired in local markets will air on stadium on wednesday which they need to fix they need to air old episodes on the local markets and new episodes on wednesdays on stadium
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:37 pm I agree the longer show would be better... but i really think they need to figure out their future TV distribution should be first. If they have a two hour TV show; you still have the problem that fans watch it; but can't talk about it for a few days because of spoilers. Which is kind of the opposite of what you want. Think they could basically put "any' content on their current channels. Recap show, week by week, classic matches, etc. It airs at midnight in my area. It's not that far off from infomercial time.

With ROH being Sinclair owned its never going to be shopped for primetime viewership to somewhere like NBC etc, maybe FS1 considering how Sinclair has previously had dealing with Fox/Disney, likely though it's only likely to be on a Sinclair affiliate like Stadium. As Vegas said, Stadium seems like the most suitable and stable platform to gain a regional time slot, that hopefully wouldn't change too much depending on the football season, other sports.

I would say go to 90 mins either Thursday or Friday maybe a Saturday. You want to make ROH a destination and not have to fight against other companies for viewers, if everyone is having to share viewers across the board, eyes aren't going to be where you want them to be. Wednesday is certainly a no go, when you have three companies already airing on one day and when you look at the numbers right now for both NXT and AEW they are kind of pathetic and if it's that what ROH is going to have to try and claim viewers from it would be a disaster. I don't think being a lead into Smackdown would be that bad considering it's a much shorter show than RAW and probably has a identity better suited to ROH overall, which could help people settling in for a wrestling night. Personally I think Friday would be the best day as everyones finished work, there will be a full week of wrestling for people to enjoy, it's a day just for ROH to present themselves. The Friday show would also be a good lead in to the PPV's which seem to be Friday releases now.

Then on say Saturday, Sunday, possibly Tuesday have an Honor Club special event once per month,
Montana

Post by Montana »

ROH has been with stadium since 2017, and you'll continue to have the same issues. The programming airs at different times in all different markets. ROH has been unable to even keep their TV listings on their website up to date. Sure 90 minutes is better than 60.... but that's not really going to change much for them. I don't get stadium; but i watch via the Fox Sports channel; and it's a great channel for this market; as it's like the #2 sports channel behind ESPN, BUT same issue; airs in a poor timeslot; and then the 20+ fox regional channels dont all sync, and will likely never sync.

If it were me; I'd be trying to shop the product, 2 hours of new wrestling weekly to stations like WGN, TRU TV, AXS, AMC, TBS, FX, SYFY and paramount. If it doesn't work; you still have all your regional networks.

You have a huge catalogue to air on your regional channels, even if you do reach a deal with another network.

This may all be wishful thinking as ROH is locked into SBG; but think this is the only way ROH grows its current audience/fan base.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:19 am ROH has been with stadium since 2017, and you'll continue to have the same issues. The programming airs at different times in all different markets. ROH has been unable to even keep their TV listings on their website up to date. Sure 90 minutes is better than 60.... but that's not really going to change much for them. I don't get stadium; but i watch via the Fox Sports channel; and it's a great channel for this market; as it's like the #2 sports channel behind ESPN, BUT same issue; airs in a poor timeslot; and then the 20+ fox regional channels dont all sync, and will likely never sync.

If it were me; I'd be trying to shop the product, 2 hours of new wrestling weekly to stations like WGN, TRU TV, AXS, AMC, TBS, FX, SYFY and paramount. If it doesn't work; you still have all your regional networks.

You have a huge catalogue to air on your regional channels, even if you do reach a deal with another network.

This may all be wishful thinking as ROH is locked into SBG; but think this is the only way ROH grows its current audience/fan base.
This is just where we are though, unless Sinclair is able to sync some programming through out it's entire network (unlikely I know) I just can't see it being shopped anywhere else in the United States, Sinclair is going to want a good amount of money for which I doubt any network is ever going to pay for, plus ever want to deal with Sinclair generally. The only way it could work is that Sinclair almost acts as a parent where it says go on your own, will help you out when you need it, i.e. a down payment for a house so to speak but you are now responsible for the rest of your life, find a network (a house of your own). Strange analogy I know but it's the best I could come with trying to describe the scenario which ROH is in.

Or like a say a network buys ROH from Sinclair considering how vital programming seems to be and how in many ways Wrestling has become a vital commodity to multiple networks now.

Has there ever been a scenario where a company like Sinclair owns a product and shops it to another network?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:25 pm Briscoes lost after flip gordon kicked mark in the face leading to the pin than ec3 came out to tell jay he more free then he knows which leads to commentary team to question if ec3 paid gordon to attack mark so jay can be free of mark and bennett beat bateman after the match matt taven took a chair to his ankle and said if vincent doesnt agree to one more match the kingdom will keep taking out vincent group and shane taylor promotions won the six man tag titles

huh???
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

This was a damn fine episode and I'm glad STP won the belts. It will soften the blow of Shane's likely loss in the title match next week.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Without any Pure matches and interviews, the action seemed like it was a much faster pace. I didn't feel like any match was rushed even though they did fit three matches into one hour. I'm interested in what is next for Mexisquad and how EC3 is still screwing with the Briscoes.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Another really good episode. I was pretty surprised by the tag titles match. I was originally think that should be the main event one episode, but certainly didnt see that coming. My guess is that they didn't want champions during the pandemic to break historic title reigns by days. Either nor there; kinda mad as a fan that Lethal/Gresham lost... but it's probably good for Kenny King in the long run. Seems like he's always either getting a push, then a afterthought. back and forth.

As for Shane Taylor, and Rush... i think this was about what you'd expect from the match. Match was really good; but never got into 4th gear; to be great for me. Think most of us saw the ending coming. It was a little confusing if he did it on purpose or not; but seems like it was on purpose.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Montana wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:37 am Another really good episode. I was pretty surprised by the tag titles match. I was originally think that should be the main event one episode, but certainly didnt see that coming. My guess is that they didn't want champions during the pandemic to break historic title reigns by days. Either nor there; kinda mad as a fan that Lethal/Gresham lost... but it's probably good for Kenny King in the long run. Seems like he's always either getting a push, then a afterthought. back and forth.

As for Shane Taylor, and Rush... i think this was about what you'd expect from the match. Match was really good; but never got into 4th gear; to be great for me. Think most of us saw the ending coming. It was a little confusing if he did it on purpose or not; but seems like it was on purpose.
It was on purpose. I forget what he said to Rush right after Kenny hit Shane with the chair but it basically confirmed it was on purpose. I could see Kenny King, Dragon Lee and Bestia Del Ring start challenging for the 6 man belts and move the feud to focus on Shane and Kenny. I was a little surprised by the tag title change as well. With the tag division still scarce of credible challengers it'll be interesting to see where that goes.