Official 'STEEL CITY EXCELLENCE' Thread

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
monster mafia

Official 'STEEL CITY EXCELLENCE' Thread

Post by monster mafia »

ROH will present Steel City Excellence, an International Television Taping, in Pittsburgh at Stage AE on Saturday, Nov. 3. The last time ROH was in Pittsburgh was April, and that also was a TV taping, highlighted by a wild title match between ROH World Tag Team Champions The Briscoes and The Young Bucks. With a deep and talented roster that includes champions at the top of their game, innovative up-and-comers and bonafide legends, ROH is a must-see-live experience.

ALREADY SIGNED:

ROH WORLD CHAMPION JAY LETHAL, DALTON CASTLE, AND “THE AMERICAN NIGHTMARE” CODY vs. THE KINGDOM (MATT TAVEN, TK O’RYAN, & VINNY MARSEGLIA)

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS SOCAL UNCENSORED (FRANKIE KAZARIAN & SCORPIO SKY) vs. GUERRERO MAYA JR. & STUKA JR.

NON-TITLE
ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION JEFF COBB vs. JOSH “THE GOODS” WOODS

KENNY KING vs. CHRISTOPHER DANIELS

FLIP GORDON vs. SILAS YOUNG

“THE GATEKEEPER” KELLY KLEIN vs. JENNY ROSE

SIGNED TO APPEAR:

WOMEN OF HONOR WORLD CHAMPION SUMIE SAKAI
CO-HOLDERS ROH WORLD SIX-MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS THE YOUNG BUCKS (MATT & NICK JACKSON)
THE BRISCOES (JAY & MARK)
“THE VILLAIN” MARTY SCURLL
ADAM PAGE
SHANE TAYLOR
BRITT BAKER
MADISON RAYNE
HOLIDEAD
THUNDER ROSA
monster mafia

Re: Official 'STEEL CITY EXCELLENCE' Thread

Post by monster mafia »

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So per the TV Tapings tonight it Pittsburgh, here's what the Final Battle card looks like thus far:

- ROH World Title - Jay Lethal vs. Cody
- ROH World TV Title - Jeff Cobb vs. Adam Page
- ROH World Tag Team Titles - Ladder War VII - Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio Sky vs. The Briscoes vs. The Young Bucks
- Submission War - Jonathan Gresham vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
- Christopher Daniels vs. Marty Scurll
- Women Of Honor Title - Four-Corner Survival - Sumie Sakai vs. TBA
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I'm psyched for ZSJ. Ladder War should be awesome. Cody in the main event is meh but at least he works well with Lethal.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

ZED S J

What's going on with Taven then? Don't get me wrong, if I were ROH I would also be doing Lethal vs. Cody in a spot like this, but it seemed clear that the spot was being groomed for Taven.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

great fucking car ,,,,sabre in roh, a dream come true

what is the deal with taven

is the end for the elite in roh

2 good questions.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Wilson wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:30 am ZED S J

What's going on with Taven then? Don't get me wrong, if I were ROH I would also be doing Lethal vs. Cody in a spot like this, but it seemed clear that the spot was being groomed for Taven.
I see him winning back the Six Men Titles tonight at SOTF since both Bucks and Cody have other title matches for FB.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Shoot me some results guys if you're seeing any!
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
thebrettclark

Post by thebrettclark »

Did this show even happen? I’ve seen zero results and/or spoilers.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

First time I've been back here in forever. Here's what I remember and probably the order is wrong for some of them.

Dark Match: Cheeseburger, Eli Isom, and Ryan Nova, who I guess are a unit since they have matching tights, against 3 jobbers.

Winner: The Triple Decker Cheeseburgers

Taven and TK vs The Boys

Taven sent TK to commentary since he can deal with the Boys alone. Brief match ends when Vinnie comes out from under the ring, grabs one of the Boys and Taven finishes off another one. This once again proves the pure stupidity of anyone trying to validated the 'conspiracy' against the Kingdom, since they blatantly cheat all the time and get away with it.

Winner: Taven

Gresham comes out and talks about a challenge for FB. video of Zack Sabre Jr. pops up and accepts. And we have a match for FB.

WOH: Kelly Klein vs. Jenny Rose. This was for a spot in I think a woman's match for FB. Klein wins cleanly. Sumie was watching on a chair on the stage.

Winner: Klein

Christopher Daniels vs. Kenny King

King has the line of the night as he proclaims that he's going to send old man Daniels back to SCU, meaning the Senior Citizens Unit of Allegheny General Hospital. King wins after cheating.

Winner: Kenny King

Post match beatdown averted when the rest of SCU show up. Daniels explains that he talked with Coff and Kaz and Sky have new deals so they'll stick around. Not so for CD. His 'final match' is scheduled to be FB as it stands now. On the chance he is planning to retire, that would be a nice way to go out.

TV Champ Jeff Cobb vs. Josh Woods. First time seeing Cobb. He's a beast. Decent match. Ending comes kind of quick, which I like since Tour of the Islands is supposed to be a devastating finisher.

Winner: Cobb

Adam Page had been nearby sitting on a chair watching the match. Afterwards he tells Cobb to get out of his ring so he can show him what a real asskicking is all about.

Adam Page vs. Facade. He's a local that's been on a few cards so he's a bit over here. Page wins in the right manner.

Winner: Adam Page

Page challenges Cobb. And we have another FB match

Briscoes vs. Young Bucks. These guys have faced off a lot over the years. This one was going well, but ends in a double dq since both teams hate each other so much they resort to smashing each other in the heads with chairs.

DDQ

SCU shows up chastizing the teams since the winner was supposed to face them at FB. But since SCU seem to be faces now, they opt to challenge both teams to ladder war. Briscoes are really frothing at the mouth since they regard themselves as inventing Ladder War.

Intermission

Brandi Rhodes vs. Stella Gray. Rhodes wins cleanly.

Winner: Rhodes

World Tag Team Champs Kaz and Scorpio Sky vs. Stuka Jr. and Gurrero Maya Jr.

My first time seeing the CMLL team, and I liked them. I don't care if Stuka is pudgier than Super Crazy, I like the guy. SCU win cleanly

Winners: SCU

Twisted Sisters (Holidead and Thunder Rosa) vs. Britt Baker: DMD, and Madison Rayne

I do like intro video for Baker, who started local and is very over. Twisted Sisters looked more polished, though. Surprisingly, TS make the pin on Baker. Would have though Rayne would eat the pinfall since this was Baker's stomping grounds.

Winners: Twisted Sisters

Flip Gordon vs. Silas Young. Flip wants this to be an I Quit match. Silas accepts via cheap shot and it's on. Match was getting good win Bully shows up and attacks Flip.

I assume it was a DQ victory for Flip, but Bully laid him out and immidieately went for the mic. He may be old, but he does the bitter POS d-bag as good as anyone I've seen live. I'm assuming there'll be some sort of FB match to blow off this feud.

Jay Lethal, Dalton Castle, and Cody vs. The Kingdom

Castle showed up in his purple merch sweatshirt rather than standard robes. Streamer Guy asked him what was up with that, but I didn't hear the answer. Cody and Jay's rivalry was played up with Castle being the very exasperated peacemaker trying to keep them focused. Interestingly it's Castle who loses it against Taven, the two of them battling into the crowd and out of sight. Cody steals the pin from Lethal.

Winners: Lethal, Cody, Castle

Post match Lethal goes to talk with the mic, but Cody snatches it and gives a terse, 'All that needs to be said, has already been said' and walks off. Lethal follows.

Christmas Random Draw Match: Team Captain Matt Taven, Brian Milonas, Jon Gesham, Beer City Bruiser, and Marty Scurll vs. Team Captain Jay Lethal, Vinnie Marsaglia, Rhett Titus, Cheeseburger and Jeff Cobb.

This was probably match of the night. I confess to loving the unique teams, and it was clear everyone had fun with it except Taven and Vinnie. There was a humorous bit where Cruise introduces Taven's first partner, they flash the Beer City Beer symbol, and he then proclaims, 'coming from... the bar, Brian Milonas.' So everyone turns to the bar, which is in clear view of the floor, and Brian comes chugging from it to the ring. BCB ends up making the same intro later. It was a nice way of working in the Stage AE setup into the show.

I thought the shenanigans worked into the match fit the tone. Axe vs. candy cane duel, Marty trying to captain the cheating on his team, and that despite being a heel Rhett worked perfectly with his team. There was an appropriate amount of action and sensible moments, like Gresham not wanting to participate in a beatdown on Lethal, Vinnie and Taven not wanting to fight but no one will let them tag out, etc. The Lethal team wins. At the end Cobb easily lifts Cheeseburger onto his shoulder, so Rhett, in what I think was an improvised moment, tries really hard to get Lethal on to his, much to Lethal's horror since the size differential isn't enough.

All in all, pretty much what you think the lead in to FB would be.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Middle of the card isn't a big enough spot for Christopher Daniels' last match in ROH. It needs to be an Anniversary Show main event, and he should wrestle cleanly, lose cleanly, then shake his opponent's hand afterwards.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Brandi Rhodes vs. Stella Gray was for a spot on final battle 4 way?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Wow, that write-up is so rad. Thanks, DBSommer!
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:54 pm Middle of the card isn't a big enough spot for Christopher Daniels' last match in ROH. It needs to be an Anniversary Show main event, and he should wrestle cleanly, lose cleanly, then shake his opponent's hand afterwards.
Has anyone confirmed that his contract ends at the end of the year and not some time in 2019? More, I think putting a developing act like Marty is the epitome of Daniels leaving his last mark. Even if there is this an overarching symmetry to your idea, I'd rather Daniels go out in a way I think fits his ideology than a sometimes overzealous booker whose influence has long since escaped to the mists.
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:13 am Wow, that write-up is so rad. Thanks, DBSommer!
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:54 pm Middle of the card isn't a big enough spot for Christopher Daniels' last match in ROH. It needs to be an Anniversary Show main event, and he should wrestle cleanly, lose cleanly, then shake his opponent's hand afterwards.
Has anyone confirmed that his contract ends at the end of the year and not some time in 2019? More, I think putting a developing act like Marty is the epitome of Daniels leaving his last mark. Even if there is this an overarching symmetry to your idea, I'd rather Daniels go out in a way I think fits his ideology than a sometimes overzealous booker whose influence has long since escaped to the mists.
I mean in a kayfabe context, it doesn't feel big enough.
As for the second part of what I said... it's Ring of Honor. Daniels' deserves a main event farewell at the very least and there is no reason for him not to put someone over cleanly on his way out, and the Anniversary Show being his last show just feels... poetic.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I guess it's a matter of taste, but I think I'd prefer a smaller match, like a six-man with SCU in a semi-main event, than another ritzy Anniversary show moment. His career found a lot of closure at 15YA, and I don't know how much I would like that to see being interfered with. Though it would be cool to have a farewell tour. That I think I'll never get sick of.
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:41 am I guess it's a matter of taste, but I think I'd prefer a smaller match, like a six-man with SCU in a semi-main event, than another ritzy Anniversary show moment. His career found a lot of closure at 15YA, and I don't know how much I would like that to see being interfered with. Though it would be cool to have a farewell tour. That I think I'll never get sick of.
Farewell tours are the kind of thing I really miss. It made it feel like there was a stronger connection between the company, the wrestlers, and the fans.
BedNax

-

Post by BedNax »

count me in , great targets,ill have to do a little eenymeenyminymo on which steel sighted Mosin to use lol
When will the official steel sight target be available?